HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can the Rangers trade into 1st round? New THW column!

Old
06-28-2013, 03:16 PM
StevenToddIves
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Can the Rangers trade into 1st round? New THW column!

I recently published a column on THW discussing the possibility of thr Rangers trading into the first round, along with the possibility of the Hurricanes wanting Marc Staal. I would love to hear what you all think: http://thehockeywriters.com/rangers-...e-first-round/

StevenToddIves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 03:20 PM
broadwayblue

Dear god, do we need more of this Staal to Carolina business?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 03:23 PM
Baby Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I wasn't aware that the Canes wanted our Staal.

This article is based on 100% speculation & not one fact. It's all BS> There is no way Mcilrath makes this years team out of camp & it's unlikely he will even be a call up this year UNLESS we are devestated with injuries.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 03:34 PM
StevenToddIves
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Punisher View Post
I wasn't aware that the Canes wanted our Staal.

This article is based on 100% speculation & not one fact. It's all BS> There is no way Mcilrath makes this years team out of camp & it's unlikely he will even be a call up this year UNLESS we are devestated with injuries.
Thanks for, uh... not pulling punches.

Old
06-28-2013, 03:40 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

It's a TERRIBLE idea to give up players for a first round pick. The only reason - THE ONLY REASON - anyone here wants to do it is because you want to make draft day interesting. There's no other reason.

But in reality, we are a team trying to win now. Do you really think it would be wise to give up a guy like Hagelin for a draft pick who - AT BEST! - will take 2-3 years to crack the NHL, and another few years to reach his prime? And half the players drafted in the first round outside of the top-10 NEVER make the NHL.

But even if the player does make it, how does it make sense to give up a player right now to get someone who'll only be useful in 4-6 years? Aren't we trying to win now while Lundqvist is still playing and Nash is in his prime?

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 03:42 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
It's a TERRIBLE idea to give up players for a first round pick. The only reason - THE ONLY REASON - anyone here wants to do it is because you want to make draft day interesting. There's no other reason.

But in reality, we are a team trying to win now. Do you really think it would be wise to give up a guy like Hagelin for a draft pick who - AT BEST! - will take 2-3 years to crack the NHL, and another few years to reach his prime? And half the players drafted in the first round outside of the top-10 NEVER make the NHL.

But even if the player does make it, how does it make sense to give up a player right now to get someone who'll only be useful in 4-6 years? Aren't we trying to win now while Lundqvist is still playing and Nash is in his prime?
100%, to the word, agreed.

06-28-2013, 03:51 PM
M Gaz
Drink to me

I can see Sather trading a couple of our 3rd rounders for a 2nd rounder, but I HIGHLY doubt we make a trade for a 1st rounder. Yeah, this draft is supposed to be deeper than usual, but it's not worth it for this team at the moment to give up a key roster player for a pick that's not even guaranteed to pan out. Now, if Staal wanted out of NY, then I'd say sure, start taking offers, but that's not the case here.

M Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 03:53 PM
DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post

I agree with most of this as well, however there's a laundry list of players that crack the NHL straight out of the draft and make a big impact. Especially forwards, and this is supposedly an extremely deep draft. I have a really good feeling you'll be seeing both MacKinnon and Drouin in the NHL next season, possibly even Jones

DelZottoHitTheNetJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 04:13 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by WojtekGoalski View Post
I agree with most of this as well, however there's a laundry list of players that crack the NHL straight out of the draft and make a big impact. Especially forwards, and this is supposedly an extremely deep draft. I have a really good feeling you'll be seeing both MacKinnon and Drouin in the NHL next season, possibly even Jones
Every year there's 2 or 3 guys that are ready for the NHL day 1. But every year you need a top 3 or so pick to land one of those guys. There's a huge difference between trading into the first round and trading into the top 3.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 05:44 PM
StevenToddIves
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WojtekGoalski View Post
At #5 the Rangers would likely be able to draft Nichushkin, who is NHL-ready.

Old
06-28-2013, 05:47 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenToddIves View Post
I recently published a column on THW discussing the possibility of thr Rangers trading into the first round, along with the possibility of the Hurricanes wanting Marc Staal. I would love to hear what you all think: http://thehockeywriters.com/rangers-...e-first-round/
I don't have extended time for this, esp. now, but want to quick blurb not only thanks for the article, but answer some curiosity.

Rangers possible 1st round action:
Staal to Canes. (5th overall)
Not likely straight up. But while not a better hockey decision, Staal would be a good biz decision. They are pressing for Staal for Skinner.
So either bring in a team like Montreal that really wants Skinner, take their payment, add, and get the 5th.
or
expand the deal to do the 5th.
Odds of moving MS to Car are good, but not for this 5th unless there is signif. add.

MDZ to Edm (7th overall)
Howson wants MDZ, but not lookin like we get that straight up, as there are prob other offers competing we must beat.
Odds of moving MDZ to Edm are potentially good, incl as to this 7th overall, but Oilers need something more, which remains to be seen.

Callahan to Buf (8th overall)
This would hurt, but Cally would net a lot more than just 8th overall, and some thought is in order as to how much massive overcompensation would Buf give, and should we take it, while we have the chance?

That is another whole thing time does not permit only a quick blurb here.

But w/tweaking, could see Rangers w/ 5, 7, and 8 overall.

Is that enough for McKinnon + Siemens?

Just sharing a few thoughts...

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 06:03 PM
JohnC
#FreeSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
I don't have extended time for this, esp. now, but want to quick blurb not only thanks for the article, but answer some curiosity.

Rangers possible 1st round action:
Staal to Canes. (5th overall)
Not likely straight up. But while not a better hockey decision, Staal would be a good biz decision. They are pressing for Staal for Skinner.
So either bring in a team like Montreal that really wants Skinner, take their payment, add, and get the 5th.
or
expand the deal to do the 5th.
Odds of moving MS to Car are good, but not for this 5th unless there is signif. add.

MDZ to Edm (7th overall)
Howson wants MDZ, but not lookin like we get that straight up, as there are prob other offers competing we must beat.
Odds of moving MDZ to Edm are potentially good, incl as to this 7th overall, but Oilers need something more, which remains to be seen.

Callahan to Buf (8th overall)
This would hurt, but Cally would net a lot more than just 8th overall, and some thought is in order as to how much massive overcompensation would Buf give, and should we take it, while we have the chance?

That is another whole thing time does not permit only a quick blurb here.

But w/tweaking, could see Rangers w/ 5, 7, and 8 overall.

Is that enough for McKinnon + Siemens?

Just sharing a few thoughts...
Do you do this for fun or are you being serious? Just curious

JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 06:10 PM
Greg02

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
No sacred cows

Greg02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 06:18 PM
JohnC
#FreeSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg02 View Post
No sacred cows
I know :/

JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 07:28 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Sometimes it's just extrapolating if we can try something along certain lines.
But otherwise, if it is specific enough, it is serious.

And why not?
Unless, you don't think you agree the value returned in any given scenario is worth it as to that scenario, which is fine, that's what analyzing an idea is for.

Old
06-28-2013, 07:29 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
No sacred cows
You get it!

Old
06-28-2013, 07:50 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Really. And no one seems to remember that the other two Staal brothers have Stanley Cup rings, Marc does not. I really wonder if he even wants to be traded to Carolina. Plus, they have cap concerns, something not mentioned by the original poster.

The Rangers need Staal. If he's healthy, he's worth more than Carolina's first round pick to a Ranger team whose management clearly wants to win now.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 08:02 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Really. And no one seems to remember that the other two Staal brothers have Stanley Cup rings, Marc does not. I really wonder if he even wants to be traded to Carolina. Plus, they have cap concerns, something not mentioned by the original poster.

The Rangers need Staal. If he's healthy, he's worth more than Carolina's first round pick to a Ranger team whose management clearly wants to win now.
Marc has always struck me as the brother who does his own thing anyway. I don't know if I totally buy that he wants to go to Carolina.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 08:23 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Marc has always struck me as the brother who does his own thing anyway. I don't know if I totally buy that he wants to go to Carolina.
I've never seen anything to suggest it's his only goal. Jordan turned down a big contract with Pittsburgh, but his situation is different, his name is on the Stanley Cup.

Plus, until Marc can show that he's back to being comfortable on the ice, I don't think he's going anywhere.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 09:24 PM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

vCash: 476
You don't dump players for a pick unless you want to stir **** in the pot like this.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 10:24 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
The bigger question to me is would the Rangers want to move into the first. The draft seems awfully top heavy.

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 06-29-2013 at 01:35 PM.
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 11:51 PM
wafflepadsave

Quote:
I believe the answer is "What is just for fun Alex" ?

wafflepadsave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 12:35 AM
Greg02

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafflepadsave View Post
I believe the answer is "What is just for fun Alex" ?
While bern's opinions can be kind of out there, and I'm certainly glad he's not our GM, I think it's a mistake to just dismiss him as crazy. His insights in the top Rangers players threads are enough to show that he knows about hockey.

Greg02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 12:54 AM
wafflepadsave

Quote:
While bern's opinions can be kind of out there, and I'm certainly glad he's not our GM, I think it's a mistake to just dismiss him as crazy. His insights in the top Rangers players threads are enough to show that he knows about hockey.
Insights sure. But this isn't NHL 13. None of that happens in reality.

wafflepadsave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 02:10 AM
Lundsanity30

The #5 is not worth Staal.

Lundsanity30 is offline   Reply With Quote