HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Islanders interested in Ryan Miller

Old
06-28-2013, 05:57 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsPoe View Post
Miller/Vanek to Islanders
Buffalo retains 50% of their contract for one more years worth.

In return.

Strome, 2013 1st round pick and Okoposo

-----------

Why they would go to the Islanders and stay? You guys have a young team which made the playoffs. With their added help and the playoff experience that each of them have, why wouldn't they stay? You have the potential to be cup contenders your just missing the veteran leadership in Vanek and a goalie who can actually stop pucks each and every night. Vanek and Miller will go to the teams that are able to contend.
Sabres retaining salary for one whole yr means jack. Big deal.
Wang would be on the hook 100% for the extensions.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 06:01 PM
Devereau

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Ok, but don't you think they would help fill seats. I kinda like the isles thats why I would like them to go there. Screw the rangers, flyers, pens and on and on.

Devereau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 06:05 PM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPantalones View Post
Just Miller. And his is only an 8 team NTC, meaning he can block a trade to 8 teams

Vanek has nothing

Islanders would probably be one of the eight.

SuperNintendoChalmrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 06:18 PM
CaptPantalones

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNintendoChalmrs View Post
possible, but i could also see 8 teams ahead of them:

Florida
Toronto
Phoenix
Dallas
Edmonton
Calgary
Winnipeg

and any of the teams with goaltenders locked up are possible as well

CaptPantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 06:24 PM
TW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNintendoChalmrs View Post
I'll guess Miller could be talked into waiving. There's not too many starting jobs out there, the Isles look like they're a team on the rise, and if they're not it's only one year.

Last edited by TW: 06-28-2013 at 06:24 PM. Reason: spelling
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 06:36 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devereau View Post
Ok, but don't you think they would help fill seats. I kinda like the isles thats why I would like them to go there. Screw the rangers, flyers, pens and on and on.
Winning will fill seats and with Nonis saying there are a ton of quality players available right now, I am not expecting Snow to trade for high salaried, soon to be ufas , he cannot keep longterm.

Old
06-28-2013, 06:39 PM
La Cosa Nostra
Caporegime

Quote:
Well I guess there is no deal to be made if a NHL owner can't afford to extend a top 10 goalie and one of the most marketable players in the league.

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 06:46 PM
Devereau

Quote:
Winning will fill seats and with Nonis saying there are a ton of quality players available right now, I am not expecting Snow to trade for high salaried, soon to be ufas , he cannot keep longterm.
Bingo

Devereau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 07:12 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
Well I guess there is no deal to be made if a NHL owner can't afford to extend a top 10 goalie and one of the most marketable players in the league.
Bitter, eh?

06-28-2013, 07:20 PM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPantalones View Post
possible, but i could also see 8 teams ahead of them:

Florida
Toronto
Phoenix
Dallas
Edmonton
Calgary
Winnipeg

and any of the teams with goaltenders locked up are possible as well

He sold that condo in the city, but did he ever purchase another home in the area? Media failed to follow up on that.

SuperNintendoChalmrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 08:11 PM
La Cosa Nostra
Caporegime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
Bitter, eh?
Bitter? Of what? I actually have no problem keeping Miller and Vanek. I just find it comical that the reason a team can't trade for a top goalie isn't because of talent but because the Owner "won't pay" an extension. But that same owner had no problem giving 60 million to a terrible oft injured bust of a goalie.

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 08:14 PM
firel28

Daniel Friedman @DFriedmanWFAN 2h
#Isles have told teams that the No. 15 pick is available at the right price. Will only move it if they get what they're looking for.
View details

firel28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 08:20 PM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Bitter? Of what? I actually have no problem keeping Miller and Vanek. I just find it comical that the reason a team can't trade for a top goalie isn't because of talent but because the Owner "won't pay" an extension. But that same owner had no problem giving 60 million to a terrible oft injured bust of a goalie.
Huh?

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 09:13 PM
McTank

I'd be very happy with nino and a 1st

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 09:25 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
DiPietro had not had injuries when he got his big contract.

I have no complaint , with Wang not wanting to add a $6.7m goalie or $7.5m winger.

Old
06-28-2013, 09:26 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
I'd be very happy with nino and a 1st
Yeah.Let's not hold our breath on that one.

Old
06-28-2013, 11:04 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
Originally Posted by firel28 View Post
Daniel Friedman @DFriedmanWFAN 2h
#Isles have told teams that the No. 15 pick is available at the right price. Will only move it if they get what they're looking for.
View details
Okay sorry but who the **** is this guy? I've never heard from him about the isles until like a day ago? Can we really call him credible? Because I don't think so.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 11:17 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Bitter, eh?
It's the truth, Darth. And I say that with all respect.

Not saying a Miller trade is the answer for NYI. But the attitude toward teams having the "audacity" to want a fair return for their proven NHL stars is silly. The vast majority of the NHL does not operate under Charles Wang's budget parameters (thank. If he doesn't want to pay Miller fair market value, or wants the player to be signed long-term for pennies on the dollar prior to acquiring him for some second-tier "promise," that's his prerogative. But then enjoy Nabby and the like in net next season.

You could have stolen that first round with a competent goaltending. Isn't that why you make trades and take (modest) risks? To upgrade?

Last edited by Trottier: 06-29-2013 at 01:08 AM. Reason: tempered
Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 11:19 PM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
Okay sorry but who the **** is this guy? I've never heard from him about the isles until like a day ago? Can we really call him credible? Because I don't think so.
It reminds me of that Eddie Murphy movie, The Distinguished Gentleman. He's a con man who gets voted to Congress because he has essentially the same name as the long time Congressman who passed away. Elliotte Friedman, he is not. He has no credibility.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 11:59 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Like I said, bitter.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 12:02 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
It's the truth, Darth. And I say that with all respect.

Your time is better spent lecturing Crew that every NYI prospect is not golden (getting offended over "one-goal-in-50 NHL games but he's tearing up the AHL!" Nino and a 1st for an all-star netminder? )...and that you ultimately have to pay to win. Otherwise, you end up giving away series to an equally defensively inept and ripe-for-the-taking Pens team in Round One. (But you sure saved Wang money in the process!)

Not saying a Miller trade is the answer for NYI. But the attitude toward teams having the "audacity" to want a fair return for their proven NHL stars is silly. The vast majority of the NHL does not operate under Charles Wang's amateur hour budget parameters (thankfully). If he and his apologist doesn't want to pay Miller fair market value, or want the player to be signed for pennies on the dollar prior to acquiring him for some second-tier "promise," enjoy Nabby and the like in net next season.
How did all those trade for stars, bring in UFAs and hope they sign, and related deals work out for the Isles?

Old
06-29-2013, 12:27 AM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Paxon
Quote:
How did all those trade for stars, bring in UFAs and hope they sign, and related deals work out for the Isles?
Fair point. I imagine the organization has a terrible reputation among players so getting an extension worked out prior to finalizing a trade would be unlikely (though it wouldn't hurt to try) while trade-and-hope carries a huge risk. I understand how that works as Buffalo has the same issues, though to a lesser extent I imagine.

I hope Wang sells the team so you guys can start out fresh in Brooklyn.

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 12:37 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Fair point. I imagine the organization has a terrible reputation among players so getting an extension worked out prior to finalizing a trade would be unlikely (though it wouldn't hurt to try) while trade-and-hope carries a huge risk. I understand how that works as Buffalo has the same issues, though to a lesser extent I imagine.

I hope Wang sells the team so you guys can start out fresh in Brooklyn.
I hope Wang stays. IMO, isles are headed in the right direction great young core, about to head into a new building. Stay the course, and bring in some vets when we can.

But, overall, I think Snow is doing great and totally agree with his philosophy.

Old
06-29-2013, 12:55 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Couldn't tell you.

Save the Smyth deal, they haven't made any of note since you and I first chatted on this board (2001).

And the results speak for themselves.

Look, far be it for me to tell Wang/Snow how to conduct their rebuild. I gave up on that long ago.

And not advocating for Milller, Vanek or ANY player who does not fit the extreme trade criteria of "young, cheap and locked up long-term"...and available in exchange for crumbs.

However, it is not unreasonable to ask a team (in this case, NYI) to give up talent for two, in-their-prime all-stars, let alone be on the hook for having to re-sign them once their contracts expire. Certainly, NYI doesn't have to make it or any other deal. But that's how NHL trades are made: mutual risk/reward. The reaction here would suggest otherwise.

Last edited by Trottier: 06-29-2013 at 01:13 AM. Reason: tempered
Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 12:56 AM
Sabre the Win
Sabre Die Hard

Quote:
I hope Wang stays. IMO, isles are headed in the right direction great young core, about to head into a new building. Stay the course, and bring in some vets when we can.

But, overall, I think Snow is doing great and totally agree with his philosophy.
You have a great opportunity to bring in Miller, if he agreed to goto the Islander's Im sure he would be looking for a contract. He is looking for a contending team, you guys are at the point where he wants to be and moving to Brooklyn will make a lot more players actually want to stay with you actually being in NYC.

Once you move I'm sure you will have no problem re-signing UFA's

but you say bring in vets when you can, and this is the perfect opporuntiy to bring in a Stanley Cup caliber goalie. Nabby won't bring you to a Stanley Cup, he lets too many easy goals in. If you had Miller in net against Pittsburgh you would have won, check out Miller's career stats against Pittsburgh.

Tell me you don't want him and why? because he won't sign? Show him a team that has the offensive potential to make a run at the cup and I'm sure he would be more than glad to resign.

Sabre the Win is offline   Reply With Quote