HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

"Bergevin has been sniffing around to see what he can get for Plekanec"

Old
06-28-2013, 11:13 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saundies View Post
Some people are acting like if we trade Pleks that we would get absolutely nothing back for him at all. Obviously, in a perfect world, it would be DD going out the door but unfortunately the guy just doesn't have any trade value whatsoever.

I'm not saying Plekanec is expendable (he's still our best C) but with the emergence of Eller, drafting Galchenyuk, and DD signing (ugh) it makes him a lot less untouchable than he was previously IMO. If I were MB, I would talk to Chicago about him and try to get Dave Bolland (and another piece). Then sign Vinny, and move DD to the wing.

Patches - Vinny - Gallagher
Bourque - Eller - Gio
DD - Bolland - Galchenyuk
Prust - White(?) - Moen

Plus since we would never do Pleks for Bolland straight up, those lines could be different depending on what else we got from CHI.
I could accept something Bolland and Hjalmarsson for Plekanec but they both don't have the most ideal contracts for us (they both turn UFAs next season IIRC.

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 11:16 PM
Saundies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
I could accept something Bolland and Hjalmarsson for Plekanec but they both don't have the most ideal contracts for us (they both turn UFAs next season IIRC.
That would be a great trade if CHI was willing. It would fill that #4D role that we need as well.

Also I don't think MB would have a problem dishing out a couple of extensions if they played well enough to earn them.

Saundies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 11:21 PM
DAChampion

Why would we want plekanec if we have Desharnais locked up?

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 11:25 PM
MasterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galchenyuk27 View Post
I like Plekanec, but if we get something decent I guess I'd maybe be okay with it.

I'd MUCH MUCH rather see Desharnais gone though. I don't think we'd get enough back for what I personally think Plekanec is worth.
QFT. I'd love for Pleks to be our 2nd centerman behind a truly established 1st liner (which I'm not sure Lecavalier still is, by the way), but he's not a true 1st liner.... I'd trade him for the right package.

MasterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 11:27 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saundies View Post
That would be a great trade if CHI was willing. It would fill that #4D role that we need as well.

Also I don't think MB would have a problem dishing out a couple of extensions if they played well enough to earn them.
Course not. Bergevin throws out big extensions like ****ing candy.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 11:30 PM
Saundies

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Course not. Bergevin throws out big extensions like ****ing candy.
He's like Oprah... "YOU get an extension, and YOU get an extension... EVERYONE gets extensions!"

Saundies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 11:35 PM
MasterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Yes, playoff games matter the most. But no, five games do NOT define a team. There are way too many variables in a short series that can cause stronger teams to lose and weaker teams to win, injuries being the most obvious, plain luck being another.

Keep in mind this year's SCF was between two teams that were eliminated in round-one last year. Chicago and Boston had the same healthy lineups one year ago but went nowhere in the playoffs. New Jersey made it to the SCF in 2012 but didn't even make the playoffs this year.

Not saying Montreal is an elite team that just got unlucky, but let's not fling ourselves off a tall building because of one injury-plagued series against Ottawa.
I see what you're seeing. But me, personally, I see it this way: last year we finished 27th, this year we were thrown out of 1st round so easily we might as well not have made the playoffs.

You think we have a better team than what the playoffs showed; I think we have a worse team than what regular season showed during a shortened season.

MasterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 11:59 PM
otto bond

I have my price for Plekanec. Something around Hanzal in Pheonix would do just fine by me. Could we lure big Joe Thornton from SJ for Plekanec?
No way I want to trade Plekanec but at the same time. I can lie , I have wonder what kind of deal would we get for Plekanec.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 12:22 AM
Feintastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Coca View Post
Don't bother. Plekanec has become a luxury since the emergence of Eller and Galchenyuk for some people.
YOU are not getting it...

Honestly think about it it's a fact : Galchenyuk is an elite young centre, he will easily be better than Plekanec and sooner than u think. He will be the 1st centre 4 sure so he's taking the spot.

Personally I think Lars Eller will arrive stronger at the camp and... he will compete for the #1 spot. U have another young, more mature centre progressing.

Remember David Desharnais ? He may be a 2nd CENTRE too. Could split the job with Eller by the time Galchenyuk progress... one thing is sure we HAVE TO move a centre in the near future that's the whole point.. will it be Plekanec ? DD ? Have to make space for Eller and Gally to let 'em know the club belong to them now ! Also trading Plekanec or a guy like Markov at the moment would just prove he's a smart GM for many reasons. You have the right to think otherwise. Plus the goal is to get a good draft pick or a winger..whatever..

Feintastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 12:51 AM
Habit11

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
I have my price for Plekanec. Something around Hanzal in Pheonix would do just fine by me. Could we lure big Joe Thornton from SJ for Plekanec?
No way I want to trade Plekanec but at the same time. I can lie , I have wonder what kind of deal would we get for Plekanec.
I'd guess around what Philly got for Richards which was Richards/Bordson for Schenn, Simmonds and a 2nd. Maybe a bit less because Richards is a bit younger and produces a bit more offensively with same role defensively.

Habit11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 12:56 AM
ProspectsFanatic
Artturi Lehkonen

Bergevin please trade DD, not Plekanec. All I have to say.

ProspectsFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 12:58 AM
Son Oncle Jerry
Formerly HiggsBozon

We've not even heard about the potential return for Plekanec if he's ever traded, yet fans are here crying and whining that we shouldn't even CONSIDER trading him?

Damn... That conservative approach and overrating our players to the point of not even considering every possible scenario sure worked out fine in the past 20 years.

I personally would trade Plekanec ONLY if those conditions are fulfilled:

- We land Lecavalier to replace him.
- We get a big winger ala Bobby Ryan or a very good top-4 D-man ala Erik Johnson in return (No similar or poor-man's version of him)

If we trade Plekanec, I want it to be for a return that would fill a hole in our lineup. And I want us to replace his spot in the roster by adding Lecavalier.

Son Oncle Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 01:02 AM
a55p2

I'm not a guy who usually talks in here but since the draft is really close i'm following the boards a lot more.

What I want to say is that Desharnais is going to have a better season next year. Tell me how can a player be so bad and continue to be bad, when he showed that he could be good in the past?

We have seen this a lot of times, take Plekanec for an example. He had a pretty tough year offensively in 2008-09 but he came far more motivated the next year. Desharnais tought that he would be a huge part of the team this year and he hasn't been. Who wouldn't have thought the same thing after a 60 points season in the NHL... He needs to realise that he has to be more intense and have more wilingness in his play to be succesfull in an NHL team, he's going to be better than he was last year!

Secondly, we need to keep Plekanec in the team. He has too much pressure right now and he's not able to be our first centerman, so what? Is he a bad player because of it? Not at all, he is a guy who can be an excellent second or third line centerman in a really competitive team. He is always making the right play, givin is 100 % on every shift. He just doesn't have the talent of a Galchenyuk, who can blame him for that? We need to keep this guy in our team!

And I'm really calissement crinker for the draft! I hope it's gonna be legend and with Timmins in the lead i'm not worried at all!

a55p2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 07:04 AM
habsfanatics*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Don't kid yourself the playoffs are the measuring stick. Managed efforts throughout the regular season do not even remotely simulate the playoffs where competition intensity and effort raise to the highest level. The 5 games was not a sample , it was the complete body of work this year for the team when hockey mattered the most.
Nice narrative, but simply not even close to true. The better team is the team that is a top the standings after 82 games, not the eventual cup winner that found lightening in a bottle.

habsfanatics* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 07:24 AM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Nice narrative, but simply not even close to true. The better team is the team that is a top the standings after 82 games, not the eventual cup winner that found lightening in a bottle.
I don't watch hockey all year to wonder who the best team in the regular season will be. I care about the playoffs and only the playoffs as should you

subbanged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 07:34 AM
V-2 Schneider

Plekanec is our Carbonneau.Why would anyone here want to trade a player like that???

V-2 Schneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 07:39 AM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by a55p2 View Post
I'm not a guy who usually talks in here but since the draft is really close i'm following the boards a lot more.

What I want to say is that Desharnais is going to have a better season next year. Tell me how can a player be so bad and continue to be bad, when he showed that he could be good in the past?

We have seen this a lot of times, take Plekanec for an example. He had a pretty tough year offensively in 2008-09 but he came far more motivated the next year. Desharnais tought that he would be a huge part of the team this year and he hasn't been. Who wouldn't have thought the same thing after a 60 points season in the NHL... He needs to realise that he has to be more intense and have more wilingness in his play to be succesfull in an NHL team, he's going to be better than he was last year!

Secondly, we need to keep Plekanec in the team. He has too much pressure right now and he's not able to be our first centerman, so what? Is he a bad player because of it? Not at all, he is a guy who can be an excellent second or third line centerman in a really competitive team. He is always making the right play, givin is 100 % on every shift. He just doesn't have the talent of a Galchenyuk, who can blame him for that? We need to keep this guy in our team!

And I'm really calissement crinker for the draft! I hope it's gonna be legend and with Timmins in the lead i'm not worried at all!
Because he sucks.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 08:35 AM
PricePkPatch*

I am very happy to MB is always working to keep his options open. Only a fool cry about having a workalcholic general manager.

Also, people talk about "replacing Pleky with Vinny" are very much off the mark. I don't know about you guys, but the way I saw our lines last season, it was:

Line 1 - Defensive/Play control. Our top line, with Pleky centering it and Bourque/Gionta at his wings. This line was meant to first gain momentum and be our general "jab", the first step in a 1-2 punch doctrine.

Line 2: offensive line. Minimal defensive duties, this line was the standard finisher. Meant to keep the opposition deep in their zone, locked and out of balance. DD centered this line, but not really effectively in my opinion. Not good enough puck possession skill.

Line 3: Energy line. Young players who were the occasional trick shot aimed at keeping the.opposing coach off balance. Eller and Chuckie centered this, each.effective in their own ways.

Line 4 - Grinding line. No need for presentation.

Now think about it: we're we to acquire Vinny and trade Pleky, which line will be assigned to our new big centre with low-end defensive potential, but good puck possession?

That's right. Vinny will replace DD, Eller will be promoted to Line 1 (he did very well a few times Pleky was out, and not so well once).

Which means DD either becomes Vinny's winger (not a half bad idea) or Line 3 center when Chuckie needs a break.

It's all about finding the right role for new players. We all know VL or DD can't replace Pleky. Eller..? Maybe...

PricePkPatch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 08:38 AM
JPGoHabsGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by a55p2 View Post

See Gomez, Scott. Redden, Wayne. And every other one hit wonder in the NHL

JPGoHabsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 08:48 AM
ClasslessGuy

vCash: 160
scott gomez a one hit wonder? 10 seasons in a row over 50 pts.

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 08:53 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

as I said earlier...I have no issues if MB is actually "shopping" him(which may all be BS), however the return should be similar to Carter or Richards. Otherwise just hold off, with the cap dropping I don;t see this as a good time to try and move 5 mil contracts.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 08:55 AM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I am ready to divorce Pleks...

Time to move on. He is a great player but I would like to see someone new in his spot....

Especially after 10 years.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 09:42 AM
Sorinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterD View Post
I see what you're seeing. But me, personally, I see it this way: last year we finished 27th, this year we were thrown out of 1st round so easily we might as well not have made the playoffs.

You think we have a better team than what the playoffs showed; I think we have a worse team than what regular season showed during a shortened season.
The thing is even if we played as bad during the missing 34 as we did the year we finished last we still would have likely made the playoffs with 95pts.

Are we the second best team in the East? Doubtful, but we are a solid playoff team.

Sorinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 09:49 AM
a55p2

Pretty much expected those answers.BTW those are pretty terrible comparision. Gomez and Redden aren't one hit wonder, they are just late in their carreer and losing their edge. Anyway they had great career in the NHL while Desharnais has not even played 200 games.

Desharnais isn't going to be a guy who can go to the corners and do the job. We know that and we knew that. He needs to find is playmaking game back that's all. Last year he was really bad because he couldn't do anything. He was a mediocre player in every situation because he wasn't playing his game.

What made im a good player in the past is that he could pass the puck so well. He had the ability to find open pass lane better than the other player. This year he was just always late in the play because he was lazy. Haven't you seen his comment after the year? He said that in the NHL you need to be at the top level and even when you think you're doing things the right way it may not go the way you want because you have to bring your A game every night.

He was always a guy who had to rely on moving his feet a lot more than the others because he's short and not the fastest. He's got to know himself a little bit more if he want's to have succes. He's got to work harder than the other, that's what he always did in the past.

a55p2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 09:49 AM
sampollock

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsProspectsExpert View Post
Bergevin please trade DD, not Plekanec. All I have to say.
DD for a pick. Move on. Enough of the small experiment

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote