HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brad Richards NOT being bought out

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2013, 12:22 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA16 View Post
We could actually get rid of Richards/Brassard/Stepan and use Lindberg as our 1C
1: Lol

2. Under your username. It's nice to see another browncoat.

Old
06-29-2013, 12:23 AM
BwayBshirt

It's a big gamble, but no doubt that AV wanted him back.

Hope it works out.

Old
06-29-2013, 12:24 AM
Crazed Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA16 View Post
Not really any top 6 wingers available.
Plus Callahan really isn't a third liner. He's more of a 2nd/3rd line type guy I mean he's scored 20+ 3 years in a row by having him on a third line doesn't just make it a non scoring line.
I agree about cally to an extent. Av likes 2 scoring a chk and energy line from what I read. Hags and cally are two way players who fit best. If we are to improve we need more balance to our lines.

Old
06-29-2013, 12:25 AM
Aufheben
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 69
Can Beav play wing?

Old
06-29-2013, 12:27 AM
SA16
Two by two...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
2. Under your username. It's nice to see another browncoat.
I guess Sather is best known for robbing from the rich (Montreal) and giving to the poor (enforcers)...although I wouldn't quite say he stole from "boss" Higgins as Higgins was kinda useless.

Old
06-29-2013, 12:30 AM
wafflepadsave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR2007 View Post
this team had three; mdz hags cally

plus nash had concussion and clowe
Plus Sullivan has been concussed for years.

Old
06-29-2013, 12:34 AM
Glen Sathers Cigar
Sather = Evil Genius

I'm on team Richards now. I want him to come out flying and have an amazing season. I don't think that the team is that far off as it is. Think about it, if Richards was playing at the top of his game in the playoffs who knows what would of happened. Sure, I'm being overly optimistic, but I'm not one of those people to say "well I don't like the move so I hope he sucks just so Sather looks dumb." He's here for at least one more year, so I hope he has a career season. Hopefully he learned his lesson, works out hard and comes back not only in good shape, but in the best shape of his career. Look at Alfie. He's prolonged his career by adjusting his routine and staying in great shape. Hopefully Richards learned his lesson and realizes that he has to get into even better shape to play at a high level. I'm remaining cautiously optimistic on this one.

Also, how's this for some more crazy talk: if he plays amazing next year, keep him! I know everyone talks about how crippling his cap hit will be in the future, but that's all of us going off the assumption that the cap will be around where it is right now. People in the media think that just next year the cap will be back at 70 million. So by the time Richards retires the cap could possibly be close to 80 million. And the recapture penalty for him retiring early won't be a 15m cap hit like some here believe, I don't know where that rumor started. I'm just saying that if he rejuvenates his career and we can get 3 years after next year of him playing like a 1c/2c then it might be worth it to keep him and deal with the caphit later. Those are Henrik's prime years anyway.

However, all of this is moot if he stinks the place up next season

Look, my thoughts on Richards since we signed him were that he was never a player who relied on physical gifts. He has always relied on amazing vision and instincts. The fact that his game wasn't relied heavily on his physical attributes (a la Bure or Lindros) I always believed he could remain a successful player for almost if not all of his contract. Hopefully he realized, however, that although his game doesn't rely on physical gifts, that he still has to be in great shape in order to keep up with the game. I look at his last season like this: he got lazy during the lockout and his conditioning slipped because he thought there wouldn't be a season, having the short camp didn't give him time to get back in shape, then because he was in bad shape he got off to a bad start, because of his bad start he lost his confidence, when playing with no confidence his decision making suffered and he second guessed himself every time he had the puck all while still being a step behind. I basically look at his season as snowballing out of control all because he was lazy and let his conditioning slipped. Everything that followed was a chain reaction. He dug himself into a hole and wasn't able to dig himself out of it. I think if he comes to camp in shape, with a chip on his shoulder and something to prove and is motivated to perform at the best of his abilities that he will have a good season. And ultimately I think if Richards has a good season, the Rangers will have a good season.

A few thoughts, those of you saying his goals were luck, sure they were. However, if Richards scored 40 goals next season and 50 assists, and all of the goals looked like his Hat Trick goals vs Buffalo and all of his assists came on fanned shots/broken stick shots where the puck hit a skate and went right to someone else (all luck) and then went on to the playoffs and scored 15 goals and 20 assists all of the same ilk as the regular season, I would not give a ****. I don't care how they look, as long as they come. Who cares how they go in? Him putting up those numbers means that we are scoring more, I don't care how they happen.

And the guy who said being competitive for 6 years but never winning the Cup >> Winning a Cup and sucking ass for 6 years....You were right when you said "maybe I'm alone in this" I'm in the same boat as you, I was a mere 4 yrs old when they won the cup in 94 so I don't remember it. I became a die-hard fan watching every game and obsessing over the Rangers basically starting around the same time as you, when they sucked. It sucked with them sucking. But you know what's worse than sucking for 6 years? Not winning a cup. How would Rangers Nation feel if we didn't win in 94, but were competitive and in the playoffs every single season from 94 to now? We'd be going on a 74 year long cup drought. You think being competitive and losing in the finals every year of that drought would be better than a cup? Come on man.

Just to conclude my massive post, here's a line up for next season:

Hagelin-Stepan-Nash
Clowe/Trade-Richards-Zucc
Kreider-Brassard-Callahan
Pyatt-Boyle-Dorsett

McD-Girardi
Staal-Del Zotto
Moore-Stralman

Hank
Biron

Some of you might not like that team, I think if Brad Richards bounces back and has a good season, that this team has the potential to win a cup. Plus at the very least it's better than any of the mindless roster turnover that some of you (Bern) want. This is our window. If Nash is a 40g scorer, Stepan and Richards are 70 point guys, PP improves under AV, D remains solid and Hank is Hank then this team can win a cup.

Flame away!

Old
06-29-2013, 12:37 AM
JohnC
#FreeSteve

You take your optimism and get right out of town!

Old
06-29-2013, 12:38 AM
Krampus
Call me Nils

If there's one thing Sather knows how to do, it's getting rid of **** contracts.

If he thinks it'll be fine. It'll be fine.
Even if Richards still sucks (which I don't even think), we'll be fine financially.

06-29-2013, 12:46 AM
trilobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Sathers Cigar View Post
I'm on team Richards now. I want him to come out flying and have an amazing season.
I won't flame. You put a lot of thought into your post. I did quote the first bit, which I consider to be quite important.

I want him to have an amazing season too, just like we all do. I have stuck by Brad Richards until late in the season, when I really started to question his value, because it has to be judged by what is good for the team.
What I will really have a hard time with is Brad Richards not showing right away that he is the guy we want. Who wants to play the 'he will get going, he always takes a bit of time to contribute' game?

Old
06-29-2013, 12:59 AM
waldo17

If for some reason Stepan is playing in a bottom 6 role..........I don't even....

Old
06-29-2013, 01:02 AM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldo17 View Post
If for some reason Stepan is playing in a bottom 6 role..........I don't even....
because having Richards has resulted in so much bottom 6 time for Stepan so far.....

Old
06-29-2013, 01:05 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDubiZib View Post
If there's one thing Sather knows how to do, it's getting rid of **** contracts.

If he thinks it'll be fine. It'll be fine.
Even if Richards still sucks (which I don't even think), we'll be fine financially.

Eventually his luck will run out.

Old
06-29-2013, 01:06 AM
Aufheben
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
You take your optimism and get right out of town!
You'can git oout! Brightside: Center depth, yay!, Not-so-brightside: SO STUPID.

Where's Grumpy Cat when you need 'em? This offseason has been really absurd already, it's not even Draft Day...

Old
06-29-2013, 01:12 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
This is an awful decision.....

Agree.

Old
06-29-2013, 01:16 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thugice View Post
I'm all for it except we don't have the players.

Step,brass,Nash = legit top six talent
Hags,zucc=promising/borlerline
Kreider=work in progress
Cally=ideally third liner with hags and hopefully lindberg

We have a mediocre top 6 and even poorer top 9. We could have really used a top 6 lw but we get beaver...........

Best case:Scoring. Checking:

Kreider-step-Nash. Hags-lindberg-cally
Beaver?-brass-zucc. Pyatt-boyle-dorsett

Can we stop saying that Cally is a third liner? Jesus... The last 3 seasons, he scored 68 goals over 181 games, which is on pace for 31 goals per 82 games. And he does literally everything else.

Nash, Cally, Step, Brass, Brad are all top-6. That's 5 guys.

At least one of Hags or Zucc will become a top-6 player.

Then Kreider and Miller should also improve and provide good third line scoring.

Old
06-29-2013, 01:17 AM
broadwayblue

So remind me again what happens if Brad doesn't need to be bought out until the summer before 2017/2018 when he is due 1M/1M/1M for his final three years?

Old
06-29-2013, 01:19 AM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

vCash: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
So remind me again what happens if Brad doesn't need to be bought out until the summer before 2017/2018 when he is due 1M/1M/1M for his final three years?
Well there would be... Some very bad things

Old
06-29-2013, 01:27 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Richards has had cold seasons in the past, followed up by hot seasons. He's been counted out before and returned a solid performer.

06-29-2013, 01:35 AM
trilobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Chariot View Post
Richards has had cold seasons in the past, followed up by hot seasons. He's been counted out before and returned a solid performer.
How does having an off year, followed by a decent year, help the Rangers?
This idea of players having off years is really wearing thin. What about showing up every year, every season. Crazy, eh?

Old
06-29-2013, 02:31 AM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

Glen Sather is a ****ing idiot

That's pretty much all i have to say.

Old
06-29-2013, 02:37 AM
Captain Monglobster

It doesn't matter if Richards has a great season. His contract is still crippling. I don't understand this, but I've given up understanding things so **** it.

Old
06-29-2013, 02:44 AM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Monglobster View Post
It doesn't matter if Richards has a great season. His contract is still crippling. I don't understand this, but I've given up understanding things so **** it.
it's not crippling next year if we buy him out then, and it gives us time to see where Brassard/Miller etc sit as well as opening cap space at the same time the cap is likely to go up if we want to add UFAs.

I don't think we should have kept Brad, but I can see why they did and I'm kind of surprised why so many people are shocked by this

Old
06-29-2013, 03:24 AM
Glen Sathers Cigar
Sather = Evil Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
I won't flame. You put a lot of thought into your post. I did quote the first bit, which I consider to be quite important.

I want him to have an amazing season too, just like we all do. I have stuck by Brad Richards until late in the season, when I really started to question his value, because it has to be judged by what is good for the team.
What I will really have a hard time with is Brad Richards not showing right away that he is the guy we want. Who wants to play the 'he will get going, he always takes a bit of time to contribute' game?
I agree. Which I think it is very important for Brad to realize what he needs to do. He can say it to the media all he wants, but he REALLY needs to realize how bad this season was for him and what needs to happen. He needs to understand that his age is catching up with him and the only way for him to be successful is for him to get into the best shape of his career. If he gets into amazing shape and can get off to a hot start, I will be very happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
Well there would be... Some very bad things
Will it be as bad as some think though? Some people think it will be a 15m cap hit. I've read that if he retires with 3 years left, it will be a little over 5m penalty on the cap. Now, with the cap most likely going up, a 5m penalty is not the hell some of you are making it out to be. Sure it will suck to have 5 m of dead space, but if (and it's a big IF) Richards comes and plays the best season of his career next year, we keep him and he plays like a 1c for the next few years and we win a cup, I won't give a turkey if there's a 5m penalty on the cap for 3 seasons.

Old
06-29-2013, 03:41 AM
Kane One

vCash: 1600
To those of you who are worried if he gets hurt next year: we can put him on the LTIR. Yes, he wouldn't able to be amnestied, but we could a regular buyout at a later date.

There's no need to worry about Richards retiring until after the 2016-17 season. If we buy him out the year before that, his cap hit would be $833,333 until 2024. Big whoop. The cap will go up every year, so that will feel less and less of an already small deal it is.