HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Problem with position!

Old
10-19-2006, 11:03 PM
2x4*

vCash: 500
Problem with position!

Okay I have played defense for the majority of my "skilled" hockey career. My 1st year I played forward and 2nd year as well. Then I was moved to defense my 3rd year and played 3 seasons at defense, but they were my "prime" seasons if you will. Before that I was just kind of on the ice, not actualy making a whole lot of difference. My last 2 seasons playing defence I was rated #1 in the entire league overall for any position at the showcases/evaluations. I also was selected both of those year to the WNY championship select team, and was captain of a team that won the leagues championship. Needless to say, defense was my position. But my last season, I was playing in a division a year early, so I only got to play 1 year of Bantam since Amherst changed its aging brackets. Needless to say, there was a big different to a highschool freshman and senior in size and skill, so our defense was already full, and to be honest I never really got a chance to even try for a defensive spot. I was just put at RW for the season! I was lost, only scored about 4 goals in 20 some games, etc. Anyway for some reason after I stopped playing hockey for 3 years or however long its been, I have this sudden urge to be the best goal scorer on the ice. Maybe it was from following Ovechkin with center ice all of last year And to be honest, I have gotten way way way better at playing forward during my time off... weird but its possible that watching so many hockey games on center ice, and focusing on certain players for most of the game I picked up on little things they do, where they are on the ice, how they score etc. Anyway that is besides the point. I am just in a dilema. Do I try and focus on training for a forward position or just stick with what I have been good at. Defense. My reasoning for continuing to play forward and focus on my shooting and stick handling over say being the guy that goes in on defense at skate and shoots is because I have been doing very very well playing forward in the pickup and rec league games I have played in. In 3 games at RW I scored 9 goals and 2 assists. If I wasnt scoring I might have given up on it and just started re working on my defensive skills mainly, but since I am actualy seeing results in these games I as even further compelled to focus mainly on scoring aspects of the game. Now you might say that focusing on only scoring is bad, but my defensive know how hasnt left me, the skills may need a few skates to get back though, but I still have my defense down.

Anway, I know these games are just pickup / rec, and I know getting 3 goals a game in competetive high school hockey isnt likely, but I am figuring it may equal out to atleast 2 goals in every 3 games. The people I am playing with arn't bad at all, many of them former college players and adults that have been playing for many many years, but we dont play with checking and such.

Anyway, what do you think?

[/PSYCHO BABBLE]

2x4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 11:24 PM
EmptyNetter

I don't know if you plan on making hockey a career, playing toward earning a college scholarship or just playing for fun. But IMO the more things you can do well the more opportunities you have to play and the more ice time you can get wherever you do play.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 11:38 PM
2x4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyNetter View Post
I don't know if you plan on making hockey a career, playing toward earning a college scholarship or just playing for fun. But IMO the more things you can do well the more opportunities you have to play and the more ice time you can get wherever you do play.
Right now I am planning on playing Highschool and then atleast DIII hockey in college.

Old
10-21-2006, 09:56 PM
Steelhead16

Forwards are a dime a dozen. A good young defenseman is priceless. I also started playing up front and lead the league in scoring twice but I grew and played "D" one year and never went back up. Defense wins games!!!

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2006, 10:26 PM
2x4*

I played defense at a scrimmage on friday, and scored 2 goals
I shall be the Bobby Orr of what ever team I play on. (jk I wish lol)

And you are right about defensemen. NO ONE on my team wanted to play defense, we ended up with 3 people that actualy played defense the whole game. I must have blocked 10 shots too, one of the goalies actualy complimented me on my defensive play saying most defensemen arn't mindful of the goalies when they play, and will screen and deflect shots at them. Which is true, I usually know where to stand to block the shooter, yet minimize screening and deflection the wrong way It was nice though that I was complimented on my play after not playing defense for a long while. I guess I was right in saying it didnt wear off. The only thing I need to work on is playing with the new rules. I am still used to infront of the net giving guys a beating when they dont have the puck

Old
10-22-2006, 11:15 AM
EmptyNetter

Congratulations for the goals and the compliments.
It sounds to me that:
  1. You'll always be a defenseman at heart.
  2. Spending time playing RW hasn't hurt your defensive skills at all.
  3. Playing forward has given you more opportunity to develop your shooting and puck carrying skills than you would have had as a defenseman.

I'm no expert, but it doesn't seem like you have to make up your mind what position you play right now. A friend told me he used to do business with Brian Leetch's father. Brian grew up playing forward. His dad, who was a late cut for the US Olympic team, told him to learn to play defense because his own lack of defensive play was a deciding factor in his being cut. Apparently his dad's advice served him well. Besides, the players who win the Norris trophy are almost always have a strong offensive game to complement their solid defensive play. I don't know how many years they played as forward but they must have put long hours into practicing that part of their game.

More relevant to your situation, my coworker's son attended Tufts University (Div 3) on a hockey scholarship. He had always played defense but his coach moved him to center. Shifting positions is probably more common than you think -- nobody says you can't play defense later if you play RW now. For the record I play defense and have a ton of respect for the postition .

Hope that helps.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 12:02 PM
Crosbyfan

I think it depends on what turns your crank. By the sounds of it you may have a knack for scoring. You should at least give it a shot if you feel that's the case. You can always go back to defence and bring those skills and maybe an added perspective with you when you do.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote