HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Islanders interested in Ryan Miller

Old
06-29-2013, 01:57 AM
lovemynephews

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thRoundPick View Post
What a coup that would be for the Isles. They could give a very brilliant package of prospects to Buffalo, even an overpayment wouldn't hurt them too badly in that department, and they would get a premier goaltender - something they haven't had in decades. I think the Islanders would be strong contenders after getting Miller - worth overpaying for. You can't be mediocre forever, eventually you need to cash in your chips.

Throw Matt Moulson in there too.

lovemynephews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 01:58 AM
Prospector74

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeE View Post
Islanders and Sabres fans are trying to discuss what it would take to bring Miller to the Islanders.
Personally, I don't think it will take that much this year (maybe as little as a second rounder and a B level prospect). It pains me to type that. The market seems awful right now (or at least my perception of it). Darcy may be able to get blood from stones again though - did not expect the returns he worked for Goose and Pominville.

If the market is as bad as it looks, Buffalo would be best served to extend Miller. If that is not possible, they should move him for whatever return they can get. I think he would fit in well on the Islanders but understand the hesitation WRT his current contract expiring after this year and the ability to resign.

I imagine that the Islanders are also closely watching the Luongo potential buyout situation before getting down to brass tacks on other goalie options. I would stack a free Luongo ahead of a Miller you need to trade something for every day of the week but if Luongo doesn't happen/goes elsewhere, Miller is the next best option out there this year and hopefully the teams could make a deal.

WRT Miller needing to be on the West Coast, I think that is overblown. Sure Kings, Ducks, or Sharks would be great for him from a personal life and playoff competitiveness standpoint but those teams are not looking for goalies. Phoenix has a time/distance flight advantage but not an ideal situation from a competitiveness or ownership standpoint. One big thing NY has is direct flights to LAX (and a media market if his wife decided to relocate as someone else mentioned earlier). If you combine that with the chance to play with an exciting team with a lot of young talent already playing well in the NHL and making the playoffs with probable improvement on their performances coming down the pipe, I think NYI should be an easy sell (if and it's a big IF they are willing to pay market value for a contract extension). If not willing to pay market value, then really the NYI should be looking for a low salary reclamation project/high risk high reward younger RFA/other options.

At some point though, the NYI need to take the next steps forward so FA's will start seeing the team as a destination. And speaking of FA's, there seem to be less and less really big ones lately (disappointed to see Malkin, Perry, etc. locked up early). Miller could be the first step in that movement for the NYI. I think the NYI are ready for that progression now but you may be able to delay it a year or two. Really depends on the owner and his tolerance for risk/loss.

Last edited by Prospector74: 06-29-2013 at 02:09 AM. Reason: ...
Prospector74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 02:02 AM
Sabre the Win
Sabre Die Hard

Worst comes to worst and Isles fans are scared Miller would slide after next year than why don't you try to sign him before the trade. Talk to him, convince him to stay, sign a contract extension the minute you get him, Say 3 years? if it doesnt work out, its not long term and not a complete burn.

Sabre the Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 02:16 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
Couldn't tell you.

Save the Smyth deal, they haven't made any of note since you and I first chatted on this board (2001).

And the results speak for themselves.

Look, far be it for me to tell Wang/Snow how to conduct the 20-year rebuild. I gave up on that long ago.

And not advocating for Milller, Vanek or ANY player who does not fit the pipedream trade criteria of "young, cheap and locked up long-term"...and available in exchange for crumbs.

I'm just perplexed reading how it is ridiculous to expect a team to give up anything for two, in-their-prime all-stars, let alone be on the hook for having to re-sign them once their contracts expire. How dare you ask a trading partner to take on ANY risk, whatsoever!

Yashin, Peca, Hamrlik...

The Isles were brought to their knees by home run deals for expensive vets.

And, when they moved back to competitiveness, it has been on the backs of a young nucleus developed from within.

With regard to Miller and Vanek, I really don't care what Buffalo does. Not my problem. Whether it makes sense for another team to spend assets on those guys in the hopes of resigning, is not my call. I am glad the Isles will not be involved though.

Snow is simply not going to give up his kids. In short, he is the exact GM we both know I always wanted.

Last edited by Darth Milbury: 06-29-2013 at 02:21 AM.
Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 02:39 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
Yashin, Peca, Hamrlik...

The Isles were brought to their knees by home run deals for expensive vets.
I said "since 2001". Besides, the statute of limitations has long run out on revisiting how retaining Connelly, Pyatt, Brewer and the like would have led NYI to greatness.

Quote:
Snow is simply not going to give up his kids. In short, he is the exact GM we both know I always wanted.
^^^That, I definitely know!

I like Snow too. Sticking to his plan and clearly has no regard for the pissant media types. A little bit of Belichick, Popovich, Lamoriello mentality there.

And though I soured on NYI's fraudulent owner years ago, nothing would make me happier than to see you and other NYI loyalists rewarded for your patience.

Last edited by Trottier: 06-29-2013 at 02:56 AM.
Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 05:44 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 711
Quote:
It's the truth, Darth. And I say that with all respect.

Not saying a Miller trade is the answer for NYI. But the attitude toward teams having the "audacity" to want a fair return for their proven NHL stars is silly. The vast majority of the NHL does not operate under Charles Wang's budget parameters (thank. If he doesn't want to pay Miller fair market value, or wants the player to be signed long-term for pennies on the dollar prior to acquiring him for some second-tier "promise," that's his prerogative. But then enjoy Nabby and the like in net next season.

You could have stolen that first round with a competent goaltending. Isn't that why you make trades and take (modest) risks? To upgrade?
We know Snow has budget restrictions. Seems foolish to ignore those restrictions when making trades

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 05:58 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsPoe View Post
Worst comes to worst and Isles fans are scared Miller would slide after next year than why don't you try to sign him before the trade. Talk to him, convince him to stay, sign a contract extension the minute you get him, Say 3 years? if it doesnt work out, its not long term and not a complete burn.
Their Newsday beatwriter is saying they don't want a $6.7m goalie or a $7.5m winger.

It isn't a coincidence that Bernier and his $1.25m salary , were high on Snow's wishlist this season.
He is a proming young goalie , but his salary also made him a good trade target.

Old
06-29-2013, 06:42 AM
IslesNorway

Isles won't be in on Miller unless Buffalo retains a good portion of his salary and under no cicumstance will they take on Vanek and his salary, no matter how good he is.

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 06:57 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesNorway View Post
Isles won't be in on Miller unless Buffalo retains a good portion of his salary and under no cicumstance will they take on Vanek and his salary, no matter how good he is.
I disagree. Miller is a ufa next summer. Sabres could retain salary for one season only.

A Buffalo writer asked if Buffalo should move Miller for Couts + 1st + prospect.

I would guess , Buffalo's huge demands are why Philly's now pursuing Halak.

Old
06-29-2013, 08:16 AM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I disagree. Miller is a ufa next summer. Sabres could retain salary for one season only.

A Buffalo writer asked if Buffalo should move Miller for Couts + 1st + prospect.

I would guess , Buffalo's huge demands are why Philly's now pursuing Halak.
I would be surprised if even Regier was asking for that much.

I would keep it simple and propose Miller (with 50% salary retained) for the 15th pick as a starting point from Buffalo's POV.

Theres not many teams I can see Miller going too, yet I think he's done in Buffalo. I would imagine theres a good chance he re-signs in NYI as well since they are a fairly young team on the up.

Rowley Birkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 09:13 AM
periferal

Quote:
I said "since 2001". Besides, the statute of limitations has long run out on revisiting how retaining Connelly, Pyatt, Brewer and the like would have led NYI to greatness.
...don't forget Chara and the Spezza pick we're in on the Yashin deal.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 09:43 AM
Chairman Wang

I just can't see Garth Snow overpaying. Keep in mind this is a guy that is more than comfortable to fill positions with training camp tryouts or waiver wire pickups. Not saying that's the best strategy. But, it is clear the guy never gets caught up in the whole I gotta get the best available player at all costs. Unfortunately, it probably speaks more to the disfunction of Wang as an owner. Not like Garth Snow is going to get fired for not filling NHL holes with legitimate NHL players... but I digress.

So the short of it is simple. If Miller or any goalie's price is to high; then Garth will just go with whoever is available among: Nabokov, Khudobin, Emery etc. That may not be the best option, but history has shown the Isles are comfortable with going with filler.

Additionally, how many teams at this point can offer a starting goalie position. At some point, the musical chairs of goalies available in free agency and through trade is going to stop and there will be several goalies left to choose from. Again, not the best strategy probably... but the reality of the situation.

Chairman Wang is offline   Reply With Quote