HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Brad Richards will NOT be bought out this summer

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-29-2013, 05:29 AM
  #51
Bourne Endeavor
Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch
 
Bourne Endeavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOLDITHERE View Post
I will not let the threads of the last few months slip away into a distant memory when Richards bounces back hugely next season. 90% of HFBoards will deny having suggested a buyout, and I will undoubtedly be annoyed. Torts was the issue in New York, I believe that wholeheartedly. I'm not even a fan of Richards, I hate him as a Dallas fan, but to suggest he's as awful as he played this season is laughable.

If I'm wrong though, I'd be stunned.
Lundqvist is rumored to be looking for 7M+ and the Rangers have a surplus of young talent in need of a new contracts, all of whom will demand a significant rise. Richards would have to resurge into 70-80 point player again to make a buyout with hesitating on. And if he gets injured, New York is screwed.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 05:43 AM
  #52
ReLyT
Registered User
 
ReLyT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,883
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to ReLyT
Worst case scenario... he has another crap year and he gets bought out next summer

Best case scenario... he flourishes under AV and returns to his top line center status.

All due to a little patience. Makes sense to me

ReLyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 06:05 AM
  #53
Profet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReLyT View Post
Worst case scenario... he has another crap year and he gets bought out next summer
You're not praying attention. Worst case scenario is he has a crap year and gets injured toward the end preventing a buyout next summer.

Profet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 06:59 AM
  #54
Hesher
down on the upside
 
Hesher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: middle of nowhere
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 2,163
vCash: 162
It makes sense to give him one more year to bounce back. They can buy him out next year if he doesn't pick it up.

Hesher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 07:02 AM
  #55
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,313
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
its funny the Ranger fans are the one ******** all over this, yet other teams fans think its a good move.. that goes to show you how much Ranger fans expect nowadays.
Has nothing to do with Ranger fan expectations. There's just a lot of people who don't understand the reasons why we need to buy him out. And even though it's been explained dozens of times, you apparently don't either.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 07:10 AM
  #56
Gardner McKay
Moderator
Niles, Pls.
 
Gardner McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 10,732
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
its funny the Ranger fans are the one ******** all over this, yet other teams fans think its a good move.. that goes to show you how much Ranger fans expect nowadays.
Or how little other fans know.

__________________
Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 07:13 AM
  #57
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Has nothing to do with Ranger fan expectations. There's just a lot of people who don't understand the reasons why we need to buy him out. And even though it's been explained dozens of times, you apparently don't either.
As a Ranger fan yes its obvious that they are taking a huge risk. IF Richards gets hurt they take a kick to nuts on the salary cap for many yrs

At the same time he could bounce back and why overpay in Free Agency when you have a guy like Brad Richards that was supposed to be the guy to put this team over the top.

Those looking from the outside in are simply saying its Brad Richards, he's had a great career and we are judging him on 1 bad short season.

Its a gamble on the cap but Ranger fans could end up looking back and saying wow we were wrong. IF we say in the end we were right and he gets hurt well then Sather is an idiot. He's not a moron unless he gets hurt though. Giving him a chance to bounce back is not crazy

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 07:26 AM
  #58
Gardner McKay
Moderator
Niles, Pls.
 
Gardner McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 10,732
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
As a Ranger fan yes its obvious that they are taking a huge risk. IF Richards gets hurt they take a kick to nuts on the salary cap for many yrs

At the same time he could bounce back and why overpay in Free Agency when you have a guy like Brad Richards that was supposed to be the guy to put this team over the top.

Those looking from the outside in are simply saying its Brad Richards, he's had a great career and we are judging him on 1 bad short season.

Its a gamble on the cap but Ranger fans could end up looking back and saying wow we were wrong. IF we say in the end we were right and he gets hurt well then Sather is an idiot. He's not a moron unless he gets hurt though. Giving him a chance to bounce back is not crazy
He has been on a steady decline for the last 3 years.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 07:40 AM
  #59
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat
 
Shrimper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Essex
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 71,149
vCash: 500
Is Clowe likely to resign at Rangers?

Shrimper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 07:42 AM
  #60
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Is Clowe likely to resign at Rangers?
nope, cap space issue and they would have to give up another 2nd. They tried to win last yr even though they were never consistent enough. Oh well had to try I get it.

Clowe will get overpaid somewhere even though he was concust at seasons end

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 07:45 AM
  #61
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me Maybe View Post
He has been on a steady decline for the last 3 years.
if you look at his stats they are in line with his career. Yea he sucked last yr, I get it, I saw it. We are not NHL GM's. Have to trust they believe he will bounce back

Who was a better option to overpay in free agency? The list sucks. Lecavalier is on the decline too, Weiss stunk last yr, Ribiero is going to get a ton. What wingers are out there? Iginla is older now too,etc ,etc

Sather is going to make trades. Its obvious

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 08:18 AM
  #62
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,669
vCash: 500
The guy is a slow moving target and getting older. Of course he's an injury risk.

Other team's fans did not get to see Richards no look blind bailout backhand passes to nobody on his team last year which were happening with regularity towards the end of the season especially after Kaleta clocked him.

He's going to make a comeback?--because of Vigneault? because he knows he can do better? And then 6 more years?

Keeping him means we're more or less stuck with last year's team for this year which wasn't good enough then and is not going to be good enough next year which I'm sure is fine with fans of other teams--so it is a good move--for them. His getting injured and not being able to amnesty next year has the potential to really complicate things a lot more next year when Lundqvist, Callahan, Girardi, Stralman and Boyle will all be UFA's ( Lundqvist and Callahan literally being the heart and soul of the team and Girardi and Stralman being our only for real right side d-men) and Brassard, Del Zotto, Moore and Kreider RFA's. A very strong possibility depending on the cap that we will lose players here if we can't buy out Richards because he's injured.

Potential solution--keep him on the team but away from the ice. Just don't play him. That cuts down on the injury risk.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 08:32 AM
  #63
cwgatti
Registered User
 
cwgatti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
So this means they aren't resigning Clowe?
That is what you would call a "SILVER LINING"

cwgatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 08:53 AM
  #64
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,630
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Has nothing to do with Ranger fan expectations. There's just a lot of people who don't understand the reasons why we need to buy him out. And even though it's been explained dozens of times, you apparently don't either.
right, because I don't understand the slight risk that Richards gets injured preventing a buy out next year when the Rangers REALLY need the cap space.. I don't understand the fact that the Rangers thought just keeping Richards for one year instead of throwing stupid amounts of money into the UFA on players who wont be any better, etc. Rangers are taking a gamble, everyone knows this.

Lundsanity30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 09:19 AM
  #65
Gardner McKay
Moderator
Niles, Pls.
 
Gardner McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 10,732
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Is Clowe likely to resign at Rangers?
Less likely now that we are keeping Richards. Sather won't sign him long term at $5 million a year like Clowe is wanting. He may give him it for 1 year to see how he is recovering from his injuries and if he will ever be the same player or Sather may take a chance on a longer term deal if Clowe will stay in the $3.5 range.

One thing is for sure, we will not be the team to give him big money long term.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 09:25 AM
  #66
Gardner McKay
Moderator
Niles, Pls.
 
Gardner McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 10,732
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
right, because I don't understand the slight risk that Richards gets injured preventing a buy out next year when the Rangers REALLY need the cap space.. I don't understand the fact that the Rangers thought just keeping Richards for one year instead of throwing stupid amounts of money into the UFA on players who wont be any better, etc. Rangers are taking a gamble, everyone knows this.
It has nothing to do with throwing stupid money at UFA players. It is about fixing a problem with a long term solution in mind. Richards is not apart of the solution after next year so why take the risk any way?

If we are in that bad of a center you can always trade half the team for the 1st overall and draft Mackinnon. Or, just maybe, do something smart and try to work a deal for a center around Del Zotto or Staal (since most smart people deal from a position of strength) and then sign a UFA defenseman as a stop gap. Stralman has made Del Zotto expendable IMO and would prefer to trade DZ if we had to trade one of them although, Staal would fetch a bigger return.

Either way all problems are solved. Aside from the fact that our powerplay will still suck regardless of what ever moves we make.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 09:28 AM
  #67
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,313
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
right, because I don't understand the slight risk that Richards gets injured preventing a buy out next year when the Rangers REALLY need the cap space.. I don't understand the fact that the Rangers thought just keeping Richards for one year instead of throwing stupid amounts of money into the UFA on players who wont be any better, etc. Rangers are taking a gamble, everyone knows this.
No, what you don't understand is that the risk isn't as slight as you make it out to be. And what you don't understand is that the "reward" isn't worth that risk.

What does it matter if Richards puts up 70 points next season and stays healthy, unless we win the cup? We're still buying him out in 2014, aren't we? Or are you suggesting we keep him for the next 7 years, which will actually be 4 when he retires early and saddles us with cap recapture penalties?

Throwing money at other UFAs has nothing to do with the decision to buy out Richards. You still think it's a hockey decision. It isn't.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 09:31 AM
  #68
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,630
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
No, what you don't understand is that the risk isn't as slight as you make it out to be. And what you don't understand is that the "reward" isn't worth that risk.

What does it matter if Richards puts up 70 points next season and stays healthy, unless we win the cup? We're still buying him out in 2014, aren't we? Or are you suggesting we keep him for the next 7 years, which will actually be 4 when he retires early and saddles us with cap recapture penalties?
Yes he is being bought in 2014 regardless, but If (yes big if) the Rangers win the cup in 2013 with him? Then what? Would you and the rest of the Ranger fans who are in the buy out Richards now or suck for life clan kiss the organization's ass?

Lundsanity30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 09:33 AM
  #69
Gardner McKay
Moderator
Niles, Pls.
 
Gardner McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 10,732
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Yes he is being bought in 2014 regardless, but If (yes big if) the Rangers win the cup in 2013 with him? Then what? Would you and the rest of the Ranger fans who are in the buy out Richards now or suck for life clan kiss the organization's ass?
Gladly. Ill even photoshop myself kissing Sathers ass into my avatar for the off season if we win the cup ant Richards puts up a 75+ point season. Fact of the matter is I don't see it happening.

If he gets injured then we are ****ed. If he gets injured that also hurts the team for regular & post season because despite him being on a steady decline he can still put up a few points.


Last edited by Gardner McKay: 06-29-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 09:36 AM
  #70
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,313
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Yes he is being bought in 2014 regardless, but If (yes big if) the Rangers win the cup in 2013 with him? Then what? Would you and the rest of the Ranger fans who are in the buy out Richards now or suck for life clan kiss the organization's ass?
The odds of us winning the cup next year because Brad Richards is on the team are infinitesimally smaller than the odds that he gets hurt and we can't buy him out.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 10:13 AM
  #71
Gardner McKay
Moderator
Niles, Pls.
 
Gardner McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 10,732
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
The odds of us winning the cup next year because Brad Richards is on the team are infinitesimally smaller than the odds that he gets hurt and we can't buy him out.
Couldn't agree more.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 02:46 PM
  #72
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,669
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Yes he is being bought in 2014 regardless, but If (yes big if) the Rangers win the cup in 2013 with him? Then what? Would you and the rest of the Ranger fans who are in the buy out Richards now or suck for life clan kiss the organization's ass?
Rangers won't be winning any Cups without improving last year's team. They're pretty much blocked now from making any significant improvement.

And Richards is going to help us win a Cup when he was bar none the worse player on ice in both series the Rangers played for both teams? I don't think so. He got replaced by Newbury who even looked better.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:39 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.