HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

George Matthews stepping down as radio voice of CBJ

Old
05-29-2013, 08:11 PM
Matt Foley
Hey Ryan

vCash: 500
George may not have painted much of a picture of the game in your mind as you listened, but IMO his enthusiasm more than made up for that. Best Wishes to George in all his future endeavors.

Matt Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 02:36 AM
Splarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbj21 View Post
The first 3-4 years listening to the Jackets radio feed was the only live experience I could get. So many nights I fell asleep with Matthew in my headphones. Now thats not because he was boring to listen too. It was because most games would start at 1 am here in Norway. He made every play exciting. What a great guy!!
Be well Matthew !!
~Fan for life!
It was the exact same for me in Sweden. I would try to stay awake for all of them, but those west coast ones were tough!! 4am starts! Still, I would sit there at my computer and hope for the best. Still always listened until the end, even in the 10-2 loss to San Jose in 2002.

So many memories, and a lot of them great ones.

Splarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 03:24 AM
QTMcWhiskers
Playoff Avatar Stays

I know I will be in the minority, but he should have been the PBP from the start on TV instead of Dan Kelly on FSOhio. He has the passion and the hockey knowledge to be a great guy to call the game. He scrapes the fine line between "homer" and "unbiased announcer." I hope the best for him. He has a great enthusiasm and love for the game.

That being said, he was terrible on radio. Hockey is very difficult to call on radio, and he was one of the worst in the NHL doing it. I don't know if there were ever politics involved, but I have mixed emotions about him leaving. He has a great voice for the game, but brain-dead without the visual aspect. Until I see George Matthews replace Jeff Rimer - good riddance.

QTMcWhiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 05:47 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

I think the change is a bit overdue. I'll agree with DSL, that, as a listener, I had a hard time following the play while listening to him. And, as it is, I had an unpleasant experience with George a handful of offseasons ago during the rookie camp, that really shaped my personal opinion about him. Its especially hard to rectify when I see almost universal praise from others that have met and spoke with him.

And I'm not going to say that George, or the other broadcasters, were a a part and parcel of the problem with this organization in the past, but Change has been good thus far this past 12 months.... I think this was the right time for this happen. Best of Luck to George, truly.

He will be remembered and honored for his contributions, but forward, I say.

As for a "replacement", With Bobby Mac sliding into George's seat, I'd look for Andrew Cassels to be a name worth watching. I seem to remember reading rumors that he was trying to land an assistants gig as well as the job that eventually went to Dan Kumal. His wife is from Columbus, if I remember right.

Last edited by KeithBWhittington: 05-30-2013 at 05:55 AM.
KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 07:15 AM
Matt Foley
Hey Ryan

Would George's departure bring an official end to the "PEI Mafia" as we used to refer to DM's cronies within the org?

Matt Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 07:43 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
Would George's departure bring an official end to the "PEI Mafia" as we used to refer to DM's cronies within the org?
The "PEI Mafia" was decapitated when Doug was fired as that it wasn't sustainable with no organized head running it, eventually, it would wither as members of the "mafia" left or were shown the door. Mathews becomes the last member of the club to exit the organization, willing or otherwise. Basically, once Doug was fired, the "PEI Mafia" members still in place had their influence severly reduced because their Patron was gone.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 08:58 AM
blahblah

Figured he would be around for another couple of decades. I hope he enjoys his retirement. He was a icon, even if everyone didn't appreciate his style. He was distinctive. I tend to agree that I would have preferred him on TV, as another poster indicated. I really don't think a change was overdue.

Good luck to him.

This PEI Mafia stuff is for the birds, when it comes to broadcasters.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 06:41 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Pardon the thread necromancy, but I've been kind of in mourning for the past month after hearing this news. I've told the story often enough about how George is directly responsible for my being a hockey fan at all, let alone a Jackets fan. Having him leave is...

I've heard McElligot's solo work before, and he's very good. A worthy guy. But he's not George.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 08:35 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
I met George and Davidage at a draft party back in 2002 or so, they had a table and talked to everyone who approached them... He remembered me every time I saw him thereafter.. He read on the radio almost every email I sent during games I couldn't attend...

One of the best and nicest broad casters I've ever known... you will be missed George.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 08:43 AM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

George came with Dan Kamal to a game watch that we did up at Yogi's in dublin a month or so ago and just told stories for 4 hrs...i couldn't get enough of it...such a great guy....

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 11:17 AM
CBJ All The Way
HFBoards Sponsor

Blue Jackets should give Tom Hamilton a call! lol

CBJ All The Way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 11:28 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJ All The Way View Post
Blue Jackets should give Tom Hamilton a call! lol
Too sedated. Too slow.

Old
08-18-2013, 02:46 PM
Skraut

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 02:48 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Very good video. Thanks again for providing awesome videos.

CBJBrassard16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 03:46 PM
fox2usp
Inbred Cat

Quote:
As always, total class Tom. A well deserved tip of the hat to a great guy. That must have been a chore to get the audio to match up to the video. Well done Sir.

"I don't think I'll live long enough to forgive Howson for knocking off my rose colored glasses. He's a horrible, wretched, little stinker of a man. I just hope he wakes up in the morning and can't poop." -CBJCougar (on the Klesla trade), March 23, 2011
fox2usp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 04:15 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Excellent video ... very well done.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2013, 05:33 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Well done again Skraut, great videos thank you. Thank you to George also.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2013, 10:05 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Best. Ever.

Old
08-19-2013, 12:43 PM
Skraut

Bob McElligott confirmed to me that George has seen the video.

That's pretty special.

Also special is the THXMMC license plate featured in this. It was given to me by a gentleman at last years CannonFest. This year a woman came up to me and thanked me profusely for putting it in there. Her husband who had given it to me passed away last season and was a huge fan of George Matthews, having met him several times.

I just don't have words to describe how touched I was to have unknowingly created something so special for her.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote