HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Oilers pursuing Coburn

Old
06-29-2013, 03:01 PM
FlyerFire

vCash: 500
Make a framework around Schneider/ Coburn. Perhap add in Edler, Read and pics.Wrong thread I know but Vancouver seems better for our needs

Last edited by FlyerFire: 06-29-2013 at 03:03 PM. Reason: wrong thread
FlyerFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 03:01 PM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Which would be somewhat consistent with the reports that Oilers fans would be livid with price.

Honestly, that return is not exactly glowing for the Flyers, an organization that historically does not place great value on 2nd round picks (which, after all, are about a 1 in 10 shot).

EDIT: I'd really prefer that the deal gets built around Klefbom and Coburn. It gives the Oilers some immediate help and the Flyers a cost-controlled, near NHL-ready piece who has the potential to be better (or worse) than Coburn in the future.
There is zero chance that Klefbom is traded in any package for Coburn.
The organization is expecting big things from him.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 03:04 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post
Almost anything would be an upgrade on Potter, tbh.

Is Coburn really that good?
Defensively, yes, Coburn IS that good. He is still the guy we put out there to match up against guys like Malkin, Stamkos and Tavares. He's our best chance of shutting down those guys and if you want a chance of shutting down the top line of the other team, he's your man. He will, by fay, be your best defensive dman.

The more I think about it, if we assume that "rumors" to be true then I think that this just makes the most sense for both teams:

MSP + Klefbom for Coburn + Laughton.

Oilers want a top pairing dman and they get that in Coburn. Flyers "want" a top 9 forward and they get that in MSP. The Oilers NEED a good center prospect and they get that in Laughton. The Flyers NEED an offensive minded dman prospect and they get that in Klefbom. They Flyers can afford to lose Laughton and the Oilers canafford to lose Klefbom. It hurts some to lose prospects like them but both teams deal from apposition of strength and add in a place of need (both at the NHL level AND in prospect terms).

I'd LOVE to get the Oilers 7th OA but I just don't see them trading it, it's a potentially very valuable asset and the risk of that player becoming something very special AND needing ELC's to be able to afford some higher end contracts in this cap era makes it unlikely that teams just trade away top picks like this.

I'm sure that there are going to be people on both sides crying "Wolf" and saying they are giving up far more than they are getting but I think this is both fair and addresses issues for both teams. It just seems to make sense to me.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 03:05 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCerebral1 View Post
Meh on Paajarvi. The boat left port with that one.
He's a very good 3rd liner already and has plenty of potential to be a 2nd liner.

You could have another Voracek on your hands if he ends up in Philly.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 03:06 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerFire View Post
Make a framework around Schneider/ Coburn. Perhap add in Edler, Read and pics.Wrong thread I know but Vancouver seems better for our needs
Edler would cost an arm and a leg. #1 d-man on a redic good contract

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 03:06 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
Defensively, yes, Coburn IS that good. He is still the guy we put out there to match up against guys like Malkin, Stamkos and Tavares. He's our best chance of shutting down those guys and if you want a chance of shutting down the top line of the other team, he's your man. He will, by fay, be your best defensive dman.

The more I think about it, if we assume that "rumors" to be true then I think that this just makes the most sense for both teams:

Oilers want a top pairing dman and they get that in Coburn. Flyers "want" a top 9 forward and they get that in MSP. The Oilers NEED a good center prospect and they get that in Laughton. The Flyers NEED an offensive minded dman prospect and they get that in Klefbom. They Flyers can afford to lose Laughton and the Oilers canafford to lose Klefbom. It hurts some to lose prospects like them but both teams deal from apposition of strength and add in a place of need (both at the NHL level AND in prospect terms).

I'd LOVE to get the Oilers 7th OA but I just don't see them trading it, it's a potentially very valuable asset and the risk of that player becoming something very special AND needing ELC's to be able to afford some higher end contracts in this cap era makes it unlikely that teams just trade away top picks like this.

I'm sure that there are going to be people on both sides crying "Wolf" and saying they are giving up far more than they are getting but I think this is both fair and addresses issues for both teams. It just seems to make sense to me.

But Coburn is not a top pairing dman. He's an average #4 who is a little overpaid.

FanHabtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 03:07 PM
Homesick

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Because the Flyers don't have zero defense. Actually, they have too many defenders.

Timonen-Coburn
Streit-Schenn
Grossmann-Meszaros
Gustafsson

There are five players who could be legitimate top four defenders (and being paid like it). One of them has to move.
the Oilers have 3 legitimate top 4 defenders. Reality is that they're all 3/4 guys. I think the same goes for Phillys defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Can't see Klefbom being a player that Edmonton is willing to give up. Management thinks very highly of him. I believe he is considered a future core piece of the team.
klefbom is our #1 prospect. There was a report that MacTavish went all the way to Sweden, watched 5 minutes, and saw all he needed to see. MacT came out later and said he was untouchable. There are quotes to back this up

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 03:07 PM
oil slick

Quote:

I think the Flyers are much much more likely to get the 7th than you are Klefbom. Management is in love with the guy.

oil slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 03:08 PM
Oiltankjob Fail

Quote:

Klefbom once again will not be part of any trade today tomorrow next week .

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GranvilleIsland

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerFire View Post

What have you been smoking this morning.

GranvilleIsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Homesick

Quote:

I hate that offer. So it's probably fair

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 03:10 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA16 View Post
Is there a reason the Flyers consistently trade defenders for forwards when they already have good offense and zero defense?
Our owner wants to win now and thinks that all offense and no defense is the way to achieve that goal. Although he's not the one actually MAKING the deals, he DOES "direct" the direction that Holmgren takes. It's frustrating as hell as a Flyers fan when this happens.

Old
06-29-2013, 03:11 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
But Coburn is not a top pairing dman. He's an average #4 who is a little overpaid.
You just lost the privileges to that avatar.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 03:13 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
agreed. Of course I'd like to see a swap of 1st's and Coburn. The sentiment on HF was that it would cost the Oilers Gagner + 7th to move up to 5th overall so by HF standards this isn't to far off. Reality is 2nd + Coburn for 7th
Yeah, that's funny. No way it costs that much to move up just 2 spots.

I also agree with you that Coburn + 2nd for 7th is fair and reasonable. IDK if that's the deal in place and I'm not trying to tell Oiler fans that they SHOULD do it, but it's probably fair.

Old
06-29-2013, 03:15 PM
Jtown

Dreger on NHL Network. Said Holmgren has 2 possible deals he likes.
1. Coburn to Carolina for the #5

2. Coburn to Edm for #7 and 4th Rounder

I like coburn a lot and would argue that he is worth a top 10 pick but a top 5? It must be because of his caphit.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil slick View Post
I think the Flyers are much much more likely to get the 7th than you are Klefbom. Management is in love with the guy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
Klefbom once again will not be part of any trade today tomorrow next week .
Okay, it just seemed to make sense to me.

Old
molsonmuscle360

Quote:

I can tell you Klefbom will not be traded. Schultz would be traded before Klef, that's how high Mac T and staff are on him. I could see your trade idea, with Marincin and another asset, maybe one or both of our 2nds being added in. MPS, Marincin + both 2nd's for Coburn + Laughton. Marincin is going to be quite a gem of a defenceman in a year or 2. I think if the Oilers didn't sign Belov in the offseason he would be starting with the big club next year.

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 03:17 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post

If Holmgren can pull off either of those then he's done a great job. I honestly believe that the Flyers should be adding the 2nd with Coburn to get either of those picks but hey, what do I know, I'm just a poster on here like everyone else. LOL

Old
06-29-2013, 03:17 PM
dnicks17

Quote:

I like coburn a lot and would argue that he is worth a top 10 pick but a top 5? It must be because of his caphit.
Mother of god...

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 03:18 PM
Jtown

Quote:
If Holmgren can pull off either of those then he's done a great job. I honestly believe that the Flyers should be adding the 2nd with Coburn to get either of those picks but hey, what do I know, I'm just a poster on here like everyone else. LOL
What if he pulls off both? Championship.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 03:18 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
Posts like this should make you banned from a thread. You clearly know nothing about Coburn.

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 03:19 PM
litflyersfan

Quote:

Were these actually offered to Holmgren? Or is this just the insane voice in his head?

litflyersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:

The CHI/BOS game is on. When did you see this?

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Quote:

Awesome

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
I can tell you Klefbom will not be traded. Schultz would be traded before Klef, that's how high Mac T and staff are on him. I could see your trade idea, with Marincin and another asset, maybe one or both of our 2nds being added in. MPS, Marincin + both 2nd's for Coburn + Laughton. Marincin is going to be quite a gem of a defenceman in a year or 2. I think if the Oilers didn't sign Belov in the offseason he would be starting with the big club next year.
Well, if Edm is downgrading from Klefbon to Marincin then the Flyers would probably be downgrading from Laughton to Cousins. Not that a deal like that wouldn't work, but I doubt the Flyers give up both the better player and the better prospect.