HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The Rumors and Speculation Thread #8: Draft Day Edition

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2013, 03:09 PM
Prongo
Beer

vCash: 500
If we do get the 5th overall, I am almost sure we will draft the big russian or Monahan. We then could use the 11th overall to pick up a defender. Maybe, if we do have 5 and 11, I wouldn't rule out jumping up to try and get Seth Jones.

Old
06-29-2013, 03:11 PM
hockeyfreak7

Seems like there's so much talking it's getting in the way of all the doing. No trades yet.

Old
06-29-2013, 03:11 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04' hockey View Post
He's got one thing in spades that you just can't teach and teams love to have especially on the back end.....SPEED
I don't think he's a really fast skater. He's maybe above average, but for his size, he's a great skating D man.

I think him and Justin Schultz or him and Pitkanen would make a great pairing

Old
06-29-2013, 03:15 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
In the end though, Im honestly expecting a deal similar to the 2 2nd rounders and MPS for him. Teams want him and Homer doesnt want to give him up. Get the best deal for him.

On that note, I know main board isnt as knowing about our team as we are since we follow them, but there are those saying we wont get a good deal because we are in cap hell. So many people have no idea what they are talking about.
I would have to imagine if we get MPS or any other forward in a deal for Coburn that seals Read's fate. I wouldn't surprised if Homer then flipped him for pick(s).

Most of them are using Capgeek which has Pronger's contract counted right now. They can't even understand that properly.

Old
06-29-2013, 03:18 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
He was supposedly on NHL Network.
That's interesting except for the fact that the nhl network has been running replays of the finals all day. Not saying it didn't happen but it is not unheard of for a loser to make up a rumor saying he saw it on a station nobody is watching.

Old
06-29-2013, 03:21 PM
Mota

I think Coburn + 11th for MPS + 7th would be a great deal for the Flyers. MPS could be Briere's replacement and would be much cheaper than some of the FA options. I see him being like Voracek...potentially becoming a stud winger in a couple years with a change of scenery. I would imagine they go with Nurse at 7 if his there.

If Homer actually got the 5th for Coburn (which would be mind blowing), I think Seth Jones would be a Flyer this time tomorrow one way or another.

Old
06-29-2013, 03:21 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
That's interesting except for the fact that the nhl network has been running replays of the finals all day. Not saying it didn't happen but it is not unheard of for a loser to make up a rumor saying he saw it on a station nobody is watching.
well, I do know that the NHL Network in CAN & US air different programs

Old
06-29-2013, 03:30 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
If Homer actually got the 5th for Coburn (which would be mind blowing), I think Seth Jones would be a Flyer this time tomorrow one way or another.
This is what I believe as well. If Homer gets the 5th and the 11th then he means business. Maybe not trading for the first overall but maybe Florida would be willing to make the move. At 5th they can still get one of the big forwards in the draft plus another good pick at 11.

Obviously this is hard to do but it's something worth thinking about. Homer likes his big moves.

Old
06-29-2013, 03:38 PM
Mota

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Forsberg View Post
This is what I believe as well. If Homer gets the 5th and the 11th then he means business. Maybe not trading for the first overall but maybe Florida would be willing to make the move. At 5th they can still get one of the big forwards in the draft plus another good pick at 11.

Obviously this is hard to do but it's something worth thinking about. Homer likes his big moves.
Exactly. Assuming the Avs arent lying about wanting a forward, I cant see any of the top 4 teams being dead set on Jones. That doesnt mean they won't pick him, but I think they would be willing to trade back to 5 if Homer made a good offer. If the top 3 pass on Jones, Homer might even be able to trade up from 7.

This is obviously a long shot...and a lot of things have to go in the Flyers favor...but if they indeed can move up by dealing Coburn you have to think Jones would be on their radar.

Old
06-29-2013, 03:39 PM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to flyguy
For those naysayers saying Carolina would never trade the 5th for Coburn, just look what they traded for Jordan Staal last year.

I think even if we had to add a small piece (like our 2nd or a mid level prospect), it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility of acquiring a pick like that. Granted this draft is deeper than last year's, there was still a lot of great potential available at #8 last year.

Old
06-29-2013, 03:40 PM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

Seth Jones on this team would make me a very happy Flyers fan

Old
06-29-2013, 03:45 PM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
I don't think he's a really fast skater. He's maybe above average, but for his size, he's a great skating D man.

I think him and Justin Schultz or him and Pitkanen would make a great pairing
Coburn's a great skater at any size.

Old
06-29-2013, 03:47 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

So if Homer is able to get the 5th or 7th pick for Coburn without giving up the 11th, then would it make sense to trade Matt Read for another pick? Would Read himself be worth a late 1st round pick? Then if he was able to be traded for a 1st, would it be better to have 3 first round picks or would it be better to trade them to try to move up for Jones?

I know this is very unlikely but who knows, if anyone could get it done I think Homer can.

Old
06-29-2013, 03:51 PM
JoeFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Forsberg View Post

Didn't Calgary offer all 3 of their 1st round picks for no.1 overall? If (and it's a massive if) we got Coburn for 5th I imagine that with 11th it's better than Calgarys (6, 22, 28) but I guess you'd still have to throw something pretty good along side that too and then you maybe say it's too much for us?

Old
06-29-2013, 03:53 PM
ayshplaysh

Hmm, any chance the #11 packaged with the #5 would get us any higher in the draft?

Old
06-29-2013, 03:55 PM
Flyers Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayshplaysh View Post
Hmm, any chance the #11 packaged with the #5 would get us any higher in the draft?
11th and 5th>1-4

Old
06-29-2013, 03:59 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Coburn + Cousins for 7th overall.

7th, 11th + Laughton to Florida for 2nd overall.

Draft Jones.

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Simmonds-Schenn-xxxx
Gagne-Couturier-Read
Rinaldo-xxxx-Talbot

Timonen-Grossmann
Streit-Schenn
Gustafsson-Jones

Mason
xxxx

Old
06-29-2013, 04:00 PM
DeflatedFootball7

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post

Draft Jones.

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Simmonds-Schenn-xxxx
Gagne-Couturier-Read
Rinaldo-xxxx-Talbot

Timonen-Grossmann
Streit-Schenn
Gustafsson-Jones

Mason
xxxx
No thanks

Old
06-29-2013, 04:01 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Time View Post
11th and 5th>1-4
I agree 100% only if MacKinnon and Jones are off the board.

Old
06-29-2013, 04:02 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post

Draft Jones.

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Simmonds-Schenn-xxxx
Gagne-Couturier-Read
Rinaldo-xxxx-Talbot

Timonen-Grossmann
Streit-Schenn
Gustafsson-Jones

Mason
xxxx

See I think I would 100% not do that. I'd rather get a top forward and defender and keep Laughton than just jones.

For instance:

Nichushkin, Risto, & Laughton > Jones for me. I guess it comes down to though if you think Jones will be a superstar and the others just regular players.

Old
06-29-2013, 04:04 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
If we do get the 5th overall, I am almost sure we will draft the big russian or Monahan. We then could use the 11th overall to pick up a defender. Maybe, if we do have 5 and 11, I wouldn't rule out jumping up to try and get Seth Jones.
This is what I'd do. I think Jones drops to either 3rd or 4th OA and if we had the 5th OA, I'd damned certain see if I could make a move up to take Jones.

Old
06-29-2013, 04:07 PM
The Couturier Effect

Quote:
There is some speculation out there now surrounding Tim Thomas to Philly, and while I have heard and believe the Flyers and Thomas could indeed be a fit...I am more hearing that if Thomas returns the most likely destination would be Columbus.

Thomas has long standing ties with the current manangement group for the Blue Jackets and I have been told the Blue Jackets are looking at this VERY seriously.

The Flyers will look at another goalie if Thomas signs in Columbus...could be Halak...could be Dan Ellis...
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...9#.Uc9MCozD_IU

Dan Ellis? Ew, no thanks.

Old
06-29-2013, 04:08 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Silly rumor on the Kings board:

Quote:
matthew barry‏@bigmouthbarry7m
@kingsofhockey Looking to confirm but a reputable Flyers source says Philly offered Grossman and Cousins for Clifford and A-Mart.
Don't really believe it, but it made me wonder, what do Flyer fans' think of Grossman? In my mind, he would be one of the last I'd trade if I were Homer. What pairing does he play for you guys?

The Kings couldn't afford him either way, and we don't have a replacement in the organization for Clifford, not to mention we are way too flush with centers. I am merely curious about Flyer fan opinion on Grossman.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Old
06-29-2013, 04:11 PM
Flyers Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Silly rumor on the Kings board:

Don't really believe it, but it made me wonder, what do Flyer fans' think of Grossman? In my mind, he would be one of the last I'd trade if I were Homer. What pairing does he play for you guys?

The Kings couldn't afford him either way, and we don't have a replacement in the organization for Clifford, not to mention we are way too flush with centers. I am merely curious about Flyer fan opinion on Grossman.
Hes got a NTC, blocks to many shots, and gets injured a lot, has two bummed knees.

Old
06-29-2013, 04:11 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Rumour in Vancouver is that Schneider is possibly being shopped.

Too bad he wasn't a little more proven back in the summer of 2011 when you guys signed Bryzgalov. I thought back then it would be a perfect fit... but understandably your GM needed something more proven a year after using three goalies the year before.

It would cost you a lot more to get him now as opposed to back then and would have saved both franchises a lot of grief... and money in your case. Oh well... hindsight.

As well, Alex Edler's NTC kicks in on Monday... a package of Schneider and Edler would look good in Philly imo.

Closed Thread