HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

When are all-star coaches announced?

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2004, 12:08 PM
tmg

vCash: 500
When are all-star coaches announced?

Last year, all-star coaches were decided based on winning percentage after games of January 8 (coach of team with best winning percentage of each conference was names all-star head coach; second-best named assistant).

Does anyone know for certain what the date is this year, after which all-star coaches are announced?

If it's the same day as last year (Jan 8, IE, tomorrow), there are actually still three teams in the east (Toronto, Philadelphia, New Jersey) and two teams in the west (Detroit and Colorado) that could yet claim the top spot in the conference (by percentage, which is what they use here) at the end of tomorrow's action. If the 'drop date' is some days later, add Ottawa as a challenger for East and Vancouver, Calgary, and St Louis as possibles for the West.

Old
01-07-2004, 12:26 PM
chris_dub
Avoid Catalina...

Send a message via MSN to chris_dub
I thought it was always the 2 coaches from the SC Finals?

Old
01-07-2004, 12:27 PM
Nas_Bert_Morr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_dub
I thought it was always the 2 coaches from the SC Finals?
That's baseball. Hockey it's first in the West and East, as by win %.

Old
01-07-2004, 12:28 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

No-one can claim the top spot. No matter what tomorrow's results are, the All-Star Coaches will be Dave Lewis and Pat Quinn.

Old
01-07-2004, 12:30 PM
Nas_Bert_Morr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
No-one can claim the top spot. No matter what tomorrow's results are, the All-Star Coaches will be Dave Lewis and Pat Quinn.
Who coached with Martin last year? I thought I remembered Crawford, but I'm not entirely positive.

Old
01-07-2004, 12:32 PM
Oiler94

Send a message via MSN to Oiler94
Crawford was a coach last year for the West, and I believe he chose most of the players..

Old
01-07-2004, 12:33 PM
tmg

Quote:
If the drop date is tomorrow, these teams can be caught. Not in total points, but in percentage. And all-star coaches have always been chosen by percentage (the only time this league uses percentage in midseason!).

If Detroit loses tonight its percentage after tomorrow will be .6477. If Colorado wins tomorrow it'll be at .6500 .

Likewise, if Toronto loses tomorrow they drop to .6627. That's nice, but if NJ wins tonight they rise to .6667. Philly has games today and tomorrow; wins of both could bring them up to .6786.

Last edited by tmg: 01-07-2004 at 12:38 PM.
Old
01-07-2004, 12:43 PM
nathan

What TMG said is true.

I read in the paper today as well.

If COL wins tomorrow and DET loses, then Granato will coach the West while Lewis is the AC. If DET wins and COL wins as well, then the positions are switched. In any case, Granato and Lewis are in.

Not sure about the East though.

Old
01-07-2004, 12:45 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmg
If the drop date is tomorrow, these teams can be caught. Not in total points, but in percentage. And all-star coaches have always been chosen by percentage (the only time this league uses percentage in midseason!).
I don't think so - if Detroit loses and Vancouver wins Dave Lewis still goes (.6500 to .6388) and St. Louis doesn't play so they're stuck at .6477 until Friday. No-one else is even close to competing in the West.

Not sure about the East. I think if NJ wins tomorrow and Toronto loses, Burns goes instead of Quinn. But other than that I think Quinn has it. Hitchcock definately isn't going.

Old
01-07-2004, 12:45 PM
kira

Send a message via ICQ to kira Send a message via Yahoo to kira
I know it's after the games on Thursday...which means right now it will be either Lewis, Crawford or Quenville in the West, and either Quinn, Burns or Hitchcock in the East. Im going to go out on a limb and say it will be Lewis and Quinn.

Don't quote me though.

Old
01-07-2004, 12:46 PM
tmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan
What TMG said is true.
Well, I know that it';s based on percentage. There's still the big question of "When's the drop date?" and "Is the drop date different in each difference conference?" In 203, the coached were determined by percentage after Jan 7 for both conferences. But in 2002 they were determined by best west percentage after Jan 2 and best Eastern percentage after Jan 4.

I have not seen ANYWHERE what the date or dates are for this year. That's why I posted this thread, to find if anyone had a link to a statement of coach selection date for the 2004 game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kira
I know it's after the games on Thursday...which means right now it will be either Lewis, Crawford or Quenville in the West, and either Quinn, Burns or Hitchcock in the East. Im going to go out on a limb and say it will be Lewis and Quinn.
As I've said twice already (I've done the math!) if the date is Tomorrow, NJ can catch both Tor and Phi. And StL cannot catch Det (StL doesn't play tonight or tomorrow, and even if Det loses they're still ahead of StL in pct).

Old
01-07-2004, 12:46 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by kira
I know it's after the games on Thursday...which means right now it will be either Lewis, Crawford or Quenville in the West, and either Quinn or Hitchcock in the East. Im going to go out on a limb and say it will be Lewis and Quinn.

Don't quote me though.
Hitchcock can't get it. It's between Quinn and Burns in the East.

Old
01-07-2004, 12:49 PM
kira

Send a message via ICQ to kira Send a message via Yahoo to kira
Quote:
Okay, that works for me...I stand corrected. I honestly forgot about Burns and I thought Hitchcock was higher than he is.

But the cutoff date is tomorrow as far as I know...they mentioned it the other night during the Wings game, and I think he said it was Thursday.

See, that's why I said don't quote me.

Old
01-07-2004, 12:51 PM
tmg

Quote:
Hitch can most defenitely get it. He has games today and tomorrow, and if the Flyers win both of them they could end tomorrow with the best percentage in the whole NHL.

Old
01-07-2004, 12:53 PM
nathan

link
Quote:
ALL-STAR COACHES: If Colorado wins Thursday night at Nashville, Tenn., Granato will be one of the coaches for the Western Conference in the Feb. 8 All-Star Game at St. Paul, Minn.

The All-Star head coach and assistant coach will come from the head coaches of the two teams with the best points percentages in games played through Thursday.

If the Avalanche wins Thursday and Dave Lewis and the Detroit Red Wings lose tonight against Boston, Granato would be the head coach. If Detroit and Colorado both win, Lewis would be the head coach and Granato the assistant.

Old
01-07-2004, 12:55 PM
DutchLeafsfan

Send a message via ICQ to DutchLeafsfan Send a message via MSN to DutchLeafsfan
Just checked my calendar, last year Jan 8 was a wednesday, so if they were to use a certain weekday as cut-off day it would be today...

Old
01-07-2004, 01:01 PM
tmg

Thanks, nathan!

OK, so I remove all my IFs. The West scenario is given in the above quote. The east scenario:

Toronto has 1 game remaining. Possible pcts: .6628, .6744, .6860.
NJ has 1 game remaining. Possible pcts: .6410, .6538, .6667.
Phi has 2 games remaining. Possible pcts: .6309, .6429, .6548, .6667, .6786 .

So, if Tor wins, Quinn's in.

If Tor ties/OTLs, Quinn's still in unless Philly wins both (in which case Hitch is in).

If Tor loses, Quinn's still in unless either NJ wins, or Phildelphia gets at least 3 points in their 2 games. If Tor loses and Philly gets 4 points Hitch is in. If Tor loses, NJ wins and Philly gets fewer than 3 points Burns is in.

I don't even want to think about what happens if Tor loses, NJ wins, and Phi gets exactly 3 points. NJ and Phi would be dead tied in percentage and total number of wins. Does the NHL then go to losses, head to head, or to goal differential? Coin toss?

Last edited by tmg: 01-07-2004 at 01:09 PM.
Old
01-07-2004, 06:51 PM
the-rasta-masta

Send a message via MSN to the-rasta-masta
Are their still 3 assistant coaches for each team?

Old
01-08-2004, 04:59 AM
tmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rasta-masta
Are their still 3 assistant coaches for each team?
As far as I know, there's only one assistant for each team.

OK, last night's results make things much clearer.

In the West, Detroit has lost thier game, so a Colorado win tonight means Granato head coach, Lewis asst; a Colorado tie, loss, or OTL means Lewis is head coach (with assistant Crawford if the Canucks win tonight, Quenneville if the Canucks tie, lose, or OTL).

In the East, NJ lost and Phi got a tie last night, which eliminates Burns from even the assistant position.

If Toronto wins or ties (vs Ottawa) tonight Quinn coaches the East with Hitchcock as assistant (because a Toronto win or tie means an Ottawa non-win so Ottawa could not overtake Philadelphia)

If Toronto OTLs (vs Ottawa) tonight and Philadelphia ties, OTLs, or wins, Quinn coaches the East with Hitchcock as assistant.

If Toronto OTLs (vs Ottawa) tonight and Philadelphia loses, Quinn coaches the East with Martin as assistant.

If Toronto loses in regulation, and Philly wins, it's Hitchcock-Quinn.

If Toronto loses in regulation, and Philly ties or OTLs, it's Quinn-Hitchcock.

If Toronto loses in regulation, and Philly loses in regulation, it's Quinn-Martin.

Old
01-08-2004, 05:42 AM
degroat*

Here's the WC Coaching situation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by St Louis Post Dispatch
The two coaches of the West's team are determined on percentage of points won, with the highest two percentages through tonight's games being head and assistant coach. Detroit's Dave Lewis (66.3 percent into Wednesday's game) has clinched the head-coaching spot.

Quenneville, at 64.1 percent (50 points of 78 possible) without a game to play, needs Vancouver or Colorado to tie or lose in their games tonight to be Lewis' assistant at the Feb. 7 game in Minnesota.

Old
01-08-2004, 06:08 AM
tmg

Wonderful. (btw, was that quoted from an article today or an article yesterday?)

Degroat's quote and Nathan's quote are in direct conflict with one another. Have we any more reason to believe that the Rocky Mountain News is any more or less apt to publish false information than the St Louis Post Dispatch?

If the drop date was yesterday, then yes, Lewis clinched. If the drop date is today or later, Colorado can overtake Detroit in percentage with a win tonight.

The article sure implies that tonight's Colorado and Vancouver games can affect St Louis' standing as backup - so it does seem to recognize that today's games matter. Why does it not acknowledge that a Colorado win would put them at 65%, while Detroit's loss last night dropped them to 64.8%?

I think the Dispatch made a false assumption - that if Colorado could not attain the percentage Detroit had headed into last night, then Lewis had clinched. It didn't take into account the combination of a Detroit loss lowering Detroit's percentage and a Colorado win raising their percentage.

Last edited by tmg: 01-08-2004 at 06:19 AM.
Old
01-08-2004, 06:28 AM
degroat*

Currently
DET .648
STL .641
VAN .634
COL .641

Tonight
Colorado vs. Nashville
Vancouver vs. Los Angeles

Possibilities
#1: If Colorado wins, the coaches will be Granato as the head coach and Lewis as the assistant.
#2: If Vancouver wins and Colorado loses or ties, Dave Lews will be the head coach and Crawford will be the assistant.
#3: All other scenarios result in Lewis as the head coach and Quenneville as the assistant.

Old
01-08-2004, 06:32 AM
tmg

Didn't I say all that at 5:59?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmg
In the West, Detroit has lost thier game, so a Colorado win tonight means Granato head coach, Lewis asst; a Colorado tie, loss, or OTL means Lewis is head coach (with assistant Crawford if the Canucks win tonight, Quenneville if the Canucks tie, lose, or OTL).

Closed Thread