HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Current Habs edition: 5 most overrated players on these boards

Old
10-20-2006, 07:35 AM
Le Tricolore
J-E-T-S!

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Perez reminds me Bulis it's not even funny.
nor accurate.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 09:01 AM
Catch-22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckles3030 View Post
Latendresse: Has the POTENTIAL to become a good top 6 forward, but nowhere near the hype he’s been getting. Don’t know if he can ever become a great POWER-FORWARD. Has not shown great physicality so far, and although he hit a lot to get a spot on the team, it’s not part of his natural game and he doesn’t that mean streak needed.

Plekanec: A good two-way forward with great speed and decent skills. Will not be a great second centerman who can put up 60+ points. If he can put up 40-50, that would be great, but that’s the definition of a 3rd center on a contending team these days.

Bouillon: A reliable 6th defenseman, not top 4 material on any contending team. May look like top 4 on OUR team in some games, but that’s no compliment to our defensive corp.

Perezhogin: Has the potential, but he’s a long way from achieving that potential, at least the one that many posters expect from him on these boards.

Begin: Tons of heart and grit, but still a fourth liner. Not the heart and soul of this team nor one of the most valuable players on this team as some here make him out to be.

This is no knock on any of these players, but it’s sometimes a little annoying how overrated they are with many posters on these boards that I’ve been reading for 2+ years now.

Now watch the fanboys come out with guns blazing…

My comments.

Latendresse: has the potential, but must work on footspeed.

Plekanec: It's WAY too early to pass that kind of judgment on him...well, maybe not but I disagree with your conclusion. 40-50 pts per year may be right, but he brings many elements to the game that most players don't. I will make 2 points about him right now: (1) It is completely fallacious to judge a player simply on the basis of potential point totals. It's absolutely absurd. (2) Some people do have the ability to judge potential. You may or may not. But he's played 6 games on the second line with Samsonov and Kovalev, world class players who have shown up for a cumulative total of 2 games this year. Personally, while I remain convinced that he is not YET a 2nd line finisher, I do think he has the ability to be a second line play maker and set up man. I emphasize the YET because that skill can be taught to a 23 year-old, and I reiterate, he has only played 6 games on this line and has been easily the best of the 3 players. I remain a staunch believer in his ability and consider him perhaps the most underrated player on the Habs.

Perezhogin: Definitely has the potential but may be redundant on a team that already has Kovalev, Samsonov, with Kostitsyn and Grabovski waiting in the wings. He will have to make himself more valuable than either Kovalev or Samsonov if he wants to stay on this team.

Begin: I don't know who has suggested that he is any better than a 4th line player, but you are right that he is not. On the other hand, having a player like Begin on your 4th line is invaluable. You cannot win without players like him.

Last edited by Catch-22: 10-20-2006 at 09:07 AM.
Catch-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 11:43 AM
knuckles3030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch-22 View Post
My comments.

Latendresse: has the potential, but must work on footspeed.

Plekanec: It's WAY too early to pass that kind of judgment on him...well, maybe not but I disagree with your conclusion. 40-50 pts per year may be right, but he brings many elements to the game that most players don't. I will make 2 points about him right now: (1) It is completely fallacious to judge a player simply on the basis of potential point totals. It's absolutely absurd. (2) Some people do have the ability to judge potential. You may or may not. But he's played 6 games on the second line with Samsonov and Kovalev, world class players who have shown up for a cumulative total of 2 games this year. Personally, while I remain convinced that he is not YET a 2nd line finisher, I do think he has the ability to be a second line play maker and set up man. I emphasize the YET because that skill can be taught to a 23 year-old, and I reiterate, he has only played 6 games on this line and has been easily the best of the 3 players. I remain a staunch believer in his ability and consider him perhaps the most underrated player on the Habs.

Perezhogin: Definitely has the potential but may be redundant on a team that already has Kovalev, Samsonov, with Kostitsyn and Grabovski waiting in the wings. He will have to make himself more valuable than either Kovalev or Samsonov if he wants to stay on this team.

Begin: I don't know who has suggested that he is any better than a 4th line player, but you are right that he is not. On the other hand, having a player like Begin on your 4th line is invaluable. You cannot win without players like him.
What you're saying about Pleks and his intangibles are what makes a good 3rd line player. In my books however, a true good 2nd centerman on a contending team needs to put up points as well (at least 55 to 60). I didn't judge him on 6 games this season, but from what I've seen throughout last season. When we were plagued with injuries last year, he had plenty of opportunities to show what he could on the first/second line and on the powerplay. Taking everything into account, I don't think he cuts it as a 2nd center.

Perez has outplayed Samsonov so far this season... he'll have to put the puck in the net though.

I saw a poll in which some rated Begin as the top 3 most valuable player on the Habs. Too many people here think he's invaluable, which is why he made the list. He's not invaluable, but the TYPE of player he is is invaluable. We've won without Steve, and we can still win without Steve.

Too everyone who read this thread: Making this list and being overrated by fans here doesn't mean that these players are not good or should be traded. Like I said, I listed them, but I have no knock on these players.

knuckles3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 01:40 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckles3030 View Post
Latendresse: Has the POTENTIAL to become a good top 6 forward, but nowhere near the hype heís been getting. Donít know if he can ever become a great POWER-FORWARD. Has not shown great physicality so far, and although he hit a lot to get a spot on the team, itís not part of his natural game and he doesnít that mean streak needed.

Plekanec: A good two-way forward with great speed and decent skills. Will not be a great second centerman who can put up 60+ points. If he can put up 40-50, that would be great, but thatís the definition of a 3rd center on a contending team these days.

Bouillon: A reliable 6th defenseman, not top 4 material on any contending team. May look like top 4 on OUR team in some games, but thatís no compliment to our defensive corp.

Perezhogin: Has the potential, but heís a long way from achieving that potential, at least the one that many posters expect from him on these boards.

Begin: Tons of heart and grit, but still a fourth liner. Not the heart and soul of this team nor one of the most valuable players on this team as some here make him out to be.

This is no knock on any of these players, but itís sometimes a little annoying how overrated they are with many posters on these boards that Iíve been reading for 2+ years now.

Now watch the fanboys come out with guns blazingÖ

I think Lats should be in junior, I do not think anyone around here really think of the Cube as more then a 3rd pairing dman. Begin is important for the intangebles he brings to the ice. Pleks will be a great 3rd line center and is in over his head on the second line.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 01:48 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch-22 View Post

Truth is Pleks has been horrid offensively. Everytime he gets the puck into the zone he freezes up and gives it away (usually tries to pass the puck through heavy traffic lanes), or gets bumped off of it. Saying that he's been the best of the 3 is really no feat...as they've all been some of our worst players. Who knows what we need to get this line going...I haven't seen a consistent Kovalev since we beat boston and since the begining of last season...both of those times he was playing with Koivu. As for Pleks, I think the guy has the potential to be a 50pt man but he'll need more consistent linemates who do a good amount of forchecking (he can't do it all by himself).

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote