HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Off-Season Roster Build, Part Ad Nauseum

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-29-2013, 07:05 PM
  #126
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 14,266
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedeyeRocketeer View Post
Tsn says Horton not coming back and seguin available
I wouldn't make Horton an offer. Horribly inconsistent player who'll command a lot of money.

Rob Paxon is offline  
Old
06-29-2013, 07:11 PM
  #127
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 31,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
I wouldn't make Horton an offer. Horribly inconsistent player who'll command a lot of money.
My thoughts as well.

joshjull is online now  
Old
06-29-2013, 07:25 PM
  #128
Girgenburger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 809
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
I wouldn't make Horton an offer. Horribly inconsistent player who'll command a lot of money.
Still sounds a lot better than Stafford at #1RW.

Girgenburger is online now  
Old
06-29-2013, 07:26 PM
  #129
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares
 
Kevin27nyi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 8,824
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFFacet View Post
I disagree, NYI has a good thing going and the last thing they will want to do is break up the important pieces of the forward corps that they deployed so effectively against Pitt. They need a goalie and better defense but they will try to add it without significantly detracting from their strength. Prior to this year they couldn't very credibly claim to have a strength for pete's sake. And what sort of message would trading Okposo after those playoffs send?

Using those parameters for NYI's state of mind, they would certainly like to add Miller, but the pieces that they would be willing to give up to do it would be draft picks, or Niederreiter.
I like this part.

Isles had good pieces but were mostly a one line team. Okposo and Bailey finally started to click and down the stretch the Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo was beastly. Went like 11 games with one goal against them and many for.

Add in the fact that Grabner is always a threat on the third line and McDonald is a very pleasant surprise who paced himself for 15 goals bouncing around the 3rd and 4th line depth is there with a promising center prospect in Nelson centering them this next season. Then there are Cizikas and Martin on the 4th line. Cizikas is too good for the 4th line and we go from a team who has nothing but one line to a team with great depth up front.

Isles also have a strength in puck moving. Visnovsky is a clear catalyst for that in my eyes. Other players in MacDonald, Hickey and Streit were also effective in making the transition game deadly. Donovan should be able to take Streit's spot seamlessly.



As far as Nino, he played on the 4th line as a rookie. With Marty 'one goal in his Islander career' Reasoner and Jay 'I can't believe he isn't retired' Pandolfo. He gets a pass on that season for me.

The problem came after he didn't get an invite to training camp after a strong AHL start that had us saying, damn right, that's getting back on the saddle and requested a trade (blamed on his agent) and finished the year pretty bad. I don't want him and Isles don't need a prima donna around. I think this is what you classify as a change of scenery player. Realizes his mistakes but bridges were burned. Still has great talent and is a physical specimen. Like a moose.

And yes, with 5 years of high picks our prospect pool is strong so picks, prospects and Nino are our chips.

I came wondering what the price is for Myers.

Kevin27nyi is offline  
Old
06-29-2013, 07:37 PM
  #130
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 14,266
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
I like this part.

Isles had good pieces but were mostly a one line team. Okposo and Bailey finally started to click and down the stretch the Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo was beastly. Went like 11 games with one goal against them and many for.

Add in the fact that Grabner is always a threat on the third line and McDonald is a very pleasant surprise who paced himself for 15 goals bouncing around the 3rd and 4th line depth is there with a promising center prospect in Nelson centering them this next season. Then there are Cizikas and Martin on the 4th line. Cizikas is too good for the 4th line and we go from a team who has nothing but one line to a team with great depth up front.

Isles also have a strength in puck moving. Visnovsky is a clear catalyst for that in my eyes. Other players in MacDonald, Hickey and Streit were also effective in making the transition game deadly. Donovan should be able to take Streit's spot seamlessly.



As far as Nino, he played on the 4th line as a rookie. With Marty 'one goal in his Islander career' Reasoner and Jay 'I can't believe he isn't retired' Pandolfo. He gets a pass on that season for me.

The problem came after he didn't get an invite to training camp after a strong AHL start that had us saying, damn right, that's getting back on the saddle and requested a trade (blamed on his agent) and finished the year pretty bad. I don't want him and Isles don't need a prima donna around. I think this is what you classify as a change of scenery player. Realizes his mistakes but bridges were burned. Still has great talent and is a physical specimen. Like a moose.

And yes, with 5 years of high picks our prospect pool is strong so picks, prospects and Nino are our chips.

I came wondering what the price is for Myers.
A few may disagree, but most of us prefer to roll the dice on Myers rather than trade him for anything less than a player with reasonable franchise potential, accepting that Myers would just be part of a package. Tavares is the only clear player of that regard and let's not waste time finishing this sentence

Strome is a top prospect for sure but I don't classify him as a future franchise player type of prospect. If I were more disgruntled with Myers then he and Strome would be fair bases for a starting point but I'm not at that point and neither are most here.

Not sure I'd be overly interested in an Isles return without unfair overpayment.

Rob Paxon is offline  
Old
06-29-2013, 07:42 PM
  #131
SoFFacet
Registered User
 
SoFFacet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
As far as Nino, he played on the 4th line as a rookie. With Marty 'one goal in his Islander career' Reasoner and Jay 'I can't believe he isn't retired' Pandolfo. He gets a pass on that season for me.

The problem came after he didn't get an invite to training camp after a strong AHL start that had us saying, damn right, that's getting back on the saddle and requested a trade (blamed on his agent) and finished the year pretty bad. I don't want him and Isles don't need a prima donna around. I think this is what you classify as a change of scenery player. Realizes his mistakes but bridges were burned. Still has great talent and is a physical specimen. Like a moose.

And yes, with 5 years of high picks our prospect pool is strong so picks, prospects and Nino are our chips.
I am not familiar with your prospect pool besides Nino, Strome, and Reinhart. Obviously Strome and Reinhart are not available for Miller. What would you be willing to add to Nino in a trade for Miller? 2013 picks work also!

Quote:
I came wondering what the price is for Myers.
Most people around here will tell you he's only available straight up for a young, proven 1C, an elite center prospect, or in a package to draft one (i.e. for the 1st overall, MacKinnon). Even then a lot of people would prefer just keeping him. So uh, the price is very high. Sorry.

SoFFacet is offline  
Old
06-29-2013, 07:46 PM
  #132
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS
 
Stop Winnin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 7,987
vCash: 500
There's no point of selling low on Myers. If he busts, okay, I'm alright with that, it's not like we're in cap hell or anything. If another teams wants to overpay for him, I'm okay with that too. If he turns out great, that's great too.

Selling low on Myers is stupid on all accounts. Which is why it won't happen.

Stop Winnin is offline  
Old
06-29-2013, 07:50 PM
  #133
Prospector74
Registered User
 
Prospector74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Port Hueneme, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 514
vCash: 500
Moving away from the big name talks, anyone think we can/should move Gerbe for a 4th/5th round pick?

Prospector74 is offline  
Old
06-29-2013, 07:54 PM
  #134
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 14,266
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospector74 View Post
Moving away from the big name talks, anyone think we can/should move Gerbe for a 4th/5th round pick?
If we can get a 3rd, 4th, 5th, yes. Otherwise he goes into camp and if he doesn't play a lot better offensively then he should be waived down to Rochester where he would be a big help to the team on the ice and exhibit a great work ethic to the youngsters.

Rob Paxon is offline  
Old
06-29-2013, 08:13 PM
  #135
Sabretip
Registered User
 
Sabretip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 7,817
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospector74 View Post
Moving away from the big name talks, anyone think we can/should move Gerbe for a 4th/5th round pick?
Absolutely - he's not effective as a 4th liner and has slipped down the depth chart too much to warrant being used anywhere else.

I could see Boston nabbing him for a late pick, where the return to his college glories revives his game.

Sabretip is offline  
Old
06-29-2013, 08:16 PM
  #136
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares
 
Kevin27nyi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 8,824
vCash: 50
Thanks for the responses on Myers, unless Regier is selling for less, then that's a no. I wouldn't even trade Strome for him, but that's because that's going to be JT's buddy in a year. He needs a high end player to play with and they are a match. A Kane to his Toews, so to speak.

As far as Nino for Miller, I wouldn't pull that trigger due to Millers expiring contract. Ideal scenario would be trading down from 15 to 18-23 and getting a second rounder, and flipping that first round pick for Miller.

Isles don't have a second rounder due to the Visnovsky trade so dealing the first at 15 for him hurts a little bit value wise and asset wise.

Kevin27nyi is offline  
Old
06-29-2013, 08:25 PM
  #137
tsujimoto74
Registered User
 
tsujimoto74's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 8,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospector74 View Post
Moving away from the big name talks, anyone think we can/should move Gerbe for a 4th/5th round pick?
I'd rather just see him sent to the minors. He'd be a very useful offensive weapon in the AHL, I think.

tsujimoto74 is offline  
Old
06-29-2013, 08:41 PM
  #138
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 55,973
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospector74 View Post
Moving away from the big name talks, anyone think we can/should move Gerbe for a 4th/5th round pick?
If they could get a 5th rounder for him, take it.

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline  
Old
06-29-2013, 08:44 PM
  #139
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 55,973
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
Thanks for the responses on Myers, unless Regier is selling for less, then that's a no. I wouldn't even trade Strome for him, but that's because that's going to be JT's buddy in a year. He needs a high end player to play with and they are a match. A Kane to his Toews, so to speak.

As far as Nino for Miller, I wouldn't pull that trigger due to Millers expiring contract. Ideal scenario would be trading down from 15 to 18-23 and getting a second rounder, and flipping that first round pick for Miller.

Isles don't have a second rounder due to the Visnovsky trade so dealing the first at 15 for him hurts a little bit value wise and asset wise.
And yet you mentioned yourself that they've spent a lot of time building talent at the top end of the draft. If they do decide to get a bit more splashy, the pick might be something to put in play. So too might Nino (not advocating for both together as a Miller return, just that a prospect on the outs with the organization who likely is still viewed as having value could be used to help the d or goaltending too).

Chainshot is offline  
Old
06-29-2013, 08:46 PM
  #140
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 14,266
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
Thanks for the responses on Myers, unless Regier is selling for less, then that's a no. I wouldn't even trade Strome for him, but that's because that's going to be JT's buddy in a year. He needs a high end player to play with and they are a match. A Kane to his Toews, so to speak.

As far as Nino for Miller, I wouldn't pull that trigger due to Millers expiring contract. Ideal scenario would be trading down from 15 to 18-23 and getting a second rounder, and flipping that first round pick for Miller.

Isles don't have a second rounder due to the Visnovsky trade so dealing the first at 15 for him hurts a little bit value wise and asset wise.
I'd be happy with a pick 18th-23rd for Miller at this point. There's a chance we could move up from that pick or 16 if we like a player on the board, or we could just stay at those spots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
I'd rather just see him sent to the minors. He'd be a very useful offensive weapon in the AHL, I think.
Take the pick, sign a vet for Rochester. Assets never hurt, you never know when one is the difference between being able to move up to get a guy you like or not, e.g. moving up in the 2nd or the 3rd.

Rob Paxon is offline  
Old
06-29-2013, 08:48 PM
  #141
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,383
vCash: 500
I'd get the pick for him. Can get another pick or a throw in/booster for other rounds, like Rob said.

Silence Of The Plams is online now  
Old
06-29-2013, 10:51 PM
  #142
Girgenburger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 809
vCash: 500
Could/should Regier make a play for Seguin?

Girgenburger is online now  
Old
06-29-2013, 10:57 PM
  #143
Zman5778
Registered User
 
Zman5778's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: York, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,208
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by wearegodawful View Post
Could/should Regier make a play for Seguin?
Depends on the cost. Listening to a Boston beatwriter, the cost sounded like a top draft pick PLUS either a current young all-star caliber player or one who could reasonably project to one. And they didn't necessarily want a pure center coming back since they have Bergeron and Krejci and Kelly locked into the top 3 center roles for the next few years.

#8 and Armia might interest them.

#8/Ennis/Dman might catch their attention.

Zman5778 is offline  
Old
06-29-2013, 10:58 PM
  #144
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 14,266
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by wearegodawful View Post
Could/should Regier make a play for Seguin?
He has to at least call

Rob Paxon is offline  
Old
06-29-2013, 11:02 PM
  #145
Zman5778
Registered User
 
Zman5778's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: York, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,208
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
He has to at least call
Trade for Seguin and then flip Hodgson to a center-needy team in the mid first round?

Columbus? Might make a nice 2nd line C for them.

Jets need C help. Hodgson plus for Burmi and 13?

Zman5778 is offline  
Old
06-29-2013, 11:08 PM
  #146
MagnumForce
Registered User
 
MagnumForce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Upstate New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,745
vCash: 500
I would probably take a 1st round pick in the 20 range and try to get Nino thrown in. I think in this situation, I would be alright drafting Fucale with that pick depending on who else was still available.

MagnumForce is offline  
Old
06-29-2013, 11:11 PM
  #147
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 14,266
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
Trade for Seguin and then flip Hodgson to a center-needy team in the mid first round?

Columbus? Might make a nice 2nd line C for them.

Jets need C help. Hodgson plus for Burmi and 13?
No need to flip Hodgson imo. Hodgson-Seguin as top 2 centers... though I'm frankly not sold on Seguin being a center yet. That's part of the problem with trading for him.

Rob Paxon is offline  
Old
06-29-2013, 11:16 PM
  #148
MagnumForce
Registered User
 
MagnumForce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Upstate New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,745
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
#8 and Armia might interest them.

#8/Ennis/Dman might catch their attention.
This is in the ballpark of what I was thinking.

MagnumForce is offline  
Old
06-29-2013, 11:17 PM
  #149
Zman5778
Registered User
 
Zman5778's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: York, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,208
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
No need to flip Hodgson imo. Hodgson-Seguin as top 2 centers... though I'm frankly not sold on Seguin being a center yet. That's part of the problem with trading for him.
Then do what with Grigorenko? The little I saw of him (faceoffs aside), his vision really strikes me as a guy that needs to play center.

Larsson/Girgensons can be moved to wing easily, same for Catenacci. Kea seems to be a C.

Zman5778 is offline  
Old
06-29-2013, 11:28 PM
  #150
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 14,266
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
Then do what with Grigorenko? The little I saw of him (faceoffs aside), his vision really strikes me as a guy that needs to play center.

Larsson/Girgensons can be moved to wing easily, same for Catenacci. Kea seems to be a C.
Third center. I wasn't sure who got traded for Seguin in this scenario so it's hard to figure. Someone can play wing. Seguin hasn't played well at center in his career yet, so he's also a candidate for winger. Hodgson could play wing too.

Larsson/Girgs is down the road. It'd work one way or another.

Rob Paxon is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:43 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.