HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Off-Season Roster Build, Part Ad Nauseum

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2013, 07:05 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedeyeRocketeer View Post
Tsn says Horton not coming back and seguin available
I wouldn't make Horton an offer. Horribly inconsistent player who'll command a lot of money.

Old
06-29-2013, 07:11 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
I wouldn't make Horton an offer. Horribly inconsistent player who'll command a lot of money.
My thoughts as well.

Old
06-29-2013, 07:25 PM
Girgenburger

Quote:
Still sounds a lot better than Stafford at #1RW.

Old
06-29-2013, 07:26 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFFacet View Post
I disagree, NYI has a good thing going and the last thing they will want to do is break up the important pieces of the forward corps that they deployed so effectively against Pitt. They need a goalie and better defense but they will try to add it without significantly detracting from their strength. Prior to this year they couldn't very credibly claim to have a strength for pete's sake. And what sort of message would trading Okposo after those playoffs send?

Using those parameters for NYI's state of mind, they would certainly like to add Miller, but the pieces that they would be willing to give up to do it would be draft picks, or Niederreiter.
I like this part.

Isles had good pieces but were mostly a one line team. Okposo and Bailey finally started to click and down the stretch the Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo was beastly. Went like 11 games with one goal against them and many for.

Add in the fact that Grabner is always a threat on the third line and McDonald is a very pleasant surprise who paced himself for 15 goals bouncing around the 3rd and 4th line depth is there with a promising center prospect in Nelson centering them this next season. Then there are Cizikas and Martin on the 4th line. Cizikas is too good for the 4th line and we go from a team who has nothing but one line to a team with great depth up front.

Isles also have a strength in puck moving. Visnovsky is a clear catalyst for that in my eyes. Other players in MacDonald, Hickey and Streit were also effective in making the transition game deadly. Donovan should be able to take Streit's spot seamlessly.

As far as Nino, he played on the 4th line as a rookie. With Marty 'one goal in his Islander career' Reasoner and Jay 'I can't believe he isn't retired' Pandolfo. He gets a pass on that season for me.

The problem came after he didn't get an invite to training camp after a strong AHL start that had us saying, damn right, that's getting back on the saddle and requested a trade (blamed on his agent) and finished the year pretty bad. I don't want him and Isles don't need a prima donna around. I think this is what you classify as a change of scenery player. Realizes his mistakes but bridges were burned. Still has great talent and is a physical specimen. Like a moose.

And yes, with 5 years of high picks our prospect pool is strong so picks, prospects and Nino are our chips.

I came wondering what the price is for Myers.

Old
06-29-2013, 07:37 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
I like this part.

Isles had good pieces but were mostly a one line team. Okposo and Bailey finally started to click and down the stretch the Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo was beastly. Went like 11 games with one goal against them and many for.

Add in the fact that Grabner is always a threat on the third line and McDonald is a very pleasant surprise who paced himself for 15 goals bouncing around the 3rd and 4th line depth is there with a promising center prospect in Nelson centering them this next season. Then there are Cizikas and Martin on the 4th line. Cizikas is too good for the 4th line and we go from a team who has nothing but one line to a team with great depth up front.

Isles also have a strength in puck moving. Visnovsky is a clear catalyst for that in my eyes. Other players in MacDonald, Hickey and Streit were also effective in making the transition game deadly. Donovan should be able to take Streit's spot seamlessly.

As far as Nino, he played on the 4th line as a rookie. With Marty 'one goal in his Islander career' Reasoner and Jay 'I can't believe he isn't retired' Pandolfo. He gets a pass on that season for me.

The problem came after he didn't get an invite to training camp after a strong AHL start that had us saying, damn right, that's getting back on the saddle and requested a trade (blamed on his agent) and finished the year pretty bad. I don't want him and Isles don't need a prima donna around. I think this is what you classify as a change of scenery player. Realizes his mistakes but bridges were burned. Still has great talent and is a physical specimen. Like a moose.

And yes, with 5 years of high picks our prospect pool is strong so picks, prospects and Nino are our chips.

A few may disagree, but most of us prefer to roll the dice on Myers rather than trade him for anything less than a player with reasonable franchise potential, accepting that Myers would just be part of a package. Tavares is the only clear player of that regard and let's not waste time finishing this sentence

Strome is a top prospect for sure but I don't classify him as a future franchise player type of prospect. If I were more disgruntled with Myers then he and Strome would be fair bases for a starting point but I'm not at that point and neither are most here.

Not sure I'd be overly interested in an Isles return without unfair overpayment.

Old
06-29-2013, 07:42 PM
SoFFacet

Quote:

I am not familiar with your prospect pool besides Nino, Strome, and Reinhart. Obviously Strome and Reinhart are not available for Miller. What would you be willing to add to Nino in a trade for Miller? 2013 picks work also!

Quote:
Most people around here will tell you he's only available straight up for a young, proven 1C, an elite center prospect, or in a package to draft one (i.e. for the 1st overall, MacKinnon). Even then a lot of people would prefer just keeping him. So uh, the price is very high. Sorry.

Old
06-29-2013, 07:46 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

There's no point of selling low on Myers. If he busts, okay, I'm alright with that, it's not like we're in cap hell or anything. If another teams wants to overpay for him, I'm okay with that too. If he turns out great, that's great too.

Selling low on Myers is stupid on all accounts. Which is why it won't happen.

Old
06-29-2013, 07:50 PM
Prospector74

Moving away from the big name talks, anyone think we can/should move Gerbe for a 4th/5th round pick?

Old
06-29-2013, 07:54 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospector74 View Post
Moving away from the big name talks, anyone think we can/should move Gerbe for a 4th/5th round pick?
If we can get a 3rd, 4th, 5th, yes. Otherwise he goes into camp and if he doesn't play a lot better offensively then he should be waived down to Rochester where he would be a big help to the team on the ice and exhibit a great work ethic to the youngsters.

Old
06-29-2013, 08:13 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Absolutely - he's not effective as a 4th liner and has slipped down the depth chart too much to warrant being used anywhere else.

I could see Boston nabbing him for a late pick, where the return to his college glories revives his game.

Old
06-29-2013, 08:16 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

vCash: 50
Thanks for the responses on Myers, unless Regier is selling for less, then that's a no. I wouldn't even trade Strome for him, but that's because that's going to be JT's buddy in a year. He needs a high end player to play with and they are a match. A Kane to his Toews, so to speak.

As far as Nino for Miller, I wouldn't pull that trigger due to Millers expiring contract. Ideal scenario would be trading down from 15 to 18-23 and getting a second rounder, and flipping that first round pick for Miller.

Isles don't have a second rounder due to the Visnovsky trade so dealing the first at 15 for him hurts a little bit value wise and asset wise.

Old
06-29-2013, 08:25 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
I'd rather just see him sent to the minors. He'd be a very useful offensive weapon in the AHL, I think.

Old
06-29-2013, 08:41 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
If they could get a 5th rounder for him, take it.

06-29-2013, 08:44 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Thanks for the responses on Myers, unless Regier is selling for less, then that's a no. I wouldn't even trade Strome for him, but that's because that's going to be JT's buddy in a year. He needs a high end player to play with and they are a match. A Kane to his Toews, so to speak.

As far as Nino for Miller, I wouldn't pull that trigger due to Millers expiring contract. Ideal scenario would be trading down from 15 to 18-23 and getting a second rounder, and flipping that first round pick for Miller.

Isles don't have a second rounder due to the Visnovsky trade so dealing the first at 15 for him hurts a little bit value wise and asset wise.
And yet you mentioned yourself that they've spent a lot of time building talent at the top end of the draft. If they do decide to get a bit more splashy, the pick might be something to put in play. So too might Nino (not advocating for both together as a Miller return, just that a prospect on the outs with the organization who likely is still viewed as having value could be used to help the d or goaltending too).

Old
06-29-2013, 08:46 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Quote:

I'd be happy with a pick 18th-23rd for Miller at this point. There's a chance we could move up from that pick or 16 if we like a player on the board, or we could just stay at those spots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
I'd rather just see him sent to the minors. He'd be a very useful offensive weapon in the AHL, I think.
Take the pick, sign a vet for Rochester. Assets never hurt, you never know when one is the difference between being able to move up to get a guy you like or not, e.g. moving up in the 2nd or the 3rd.

Old
06-29-2013, 08:48 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

I'd get the pick for him. Can get another pick or a throw in/booster for other rounds, like Rob said.

Old
06-29-2013, 10:51 PM
Girgenburger

Could/should Regier make a play for Seguin?

Old
06-29-2013, 10:57 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by wearegodawful View Post
Depends on the cost. Listening to a Boston beatwriter, the cost sounded like a top draft pick PLUS either a current young all-star caliber player or one who could reasonably project to one. And they didn't necessarily want a pure center coming back since they have Bergeron and Krejci and Kelly locked into the top 3 center roles for the next few years.

#8 and Armia might interest them.

#8/Ennis/Dman might catch their attention.

Old
06-29-2013, 10:58 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearegodawful View Post
He has to at least call

Old
06-29-2013, 11:02 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
He has to at least call
Trade for Seguin and then flip Hodgson to a center-needy team in the mid first round?

Columbus? Might make a nice 2nd line C for them.

Jets need C help. Hodgson plus for Burmi and 13?

Old
06-29-2013, 11:08 PM
MagnumForce

I would probably take a 1st round pick in the 20 range and try to get Nino thrown in. I think in this situation, I would be alright drafting Fucale with that pick depending on who else was still available.

Old
06-29-2013, 11:11 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
Trade for Seguin and then flip Hodgson to a center-needy team in the mid first round?

Columbus? Might make a nice 2nd line C for them.

Jets need C help. Hodgson plus for Burmi and 13?
No need to flip Hodgson imo. Hodgson-Seguin as top 2 centers... though I'm frankly not sold on Seguin being a center yet. That's part of the problem with trading for him.

Old
06-29-2013, 11:16 PM
MagnumForce

Quote:
#8 and Armia might interest them.

#8/Ennis/Dman might catch their attention.
This is in the ballpark of what I was thinking.

Old
06-29-2013, 11:17 PM
Zman5778

Quote:
No need to flip Hodgson imo. Hodgson-Seguin as top 2 centers... though I'm frankly not sold on Seguin being a center yet. That's part of the problem with trading for him.
Then do what with Grigorenko? The little I saw of him (faceoffs aside), his vision really strikes me as a guy that needs to play center.

Larsson/Girgensons can be moved to wing easily, same for Catenacci. Kea seems to be a C.

Old
06-29-2013, 11:28 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Quote:
Then do what with Grigorenko? The little I saw of him (faceoffs aside), his vision really strikes me as a guy that needs to play center.

Larsson/Girgensons can be moved to wing easily, same for Catenacci. Kea seems to be a C.
Third center. I wasn't sure who got traded for Seguin in this scenario so it's hard to figure. Someone can play wing. Seguin hasn't played well at center in his career yet, so he's also a candidate for winger. Hodgson could play wing too.

Larsson/Girgs is down the road. It'd work one way or another.

Closed Thread