HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chicago Sports Teams Rankings

Old
06-29-2013, 08:24 PM
ItsMyFault
Fan of Losing Teams

vCash: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
Not even close. ND is far more of a national team than a Chicago team. Illinois is #1 in Chicagoland although there is a big alumni contingency of just about all Big 10 schools so it's a pretty rough claim.
Eh that's not true at all. I'm not even a fan of ND but ND is a Chicago team because of all the alums in Chicago. Their presence in Chicago is big despite the fact that South Bend, IN is 2 hours away. Lots of Hawks fans in South Bend also because a lot of students from the Chicago area. It's definitely bigger here than nationally. I agree that Illinois is probably #1. But after that ND and Northwestern are definitely a fight for #2 -- usually being ND because they're just simply a bigger football program. ND basketball though from what i've seen isn't that big.

Last edited by spiny norman: 06-30-2013 at 11:25 AM. Reason: not needed
ItsMyFault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 09:33 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sketch22 View Post
Depends on the ratings system.

The Bears have the largest group of fans (both diehards and casual) AINEC.

The Cubs and Sox have about an equal number of diehard fans, but the Cubs will always be a bigger draw, because Wrigley is a party. A lot of day games, cute girls, and ready access to good bars. Fans who like "the party" more than they like the sport or team.

The Hawks probably have the second biggest group of diehard fans (behind the Bears) and the Bulls probably have the smallest, but the overall ranking depends more on who is winning (ie who the casual fan is paying attention to).
This is probably the best answer yet. You really have to do 2 separate rankings, 1 for amount of passionate fans and 1 for overall support and viewership. There's no doubt in my mind the Sox have more diehards than the Bulls, but the Bulls have more people watching. The secondary ticket market suggests the Hawks are way bigger than the Bulls, but if the Bulls were in the Finals they'd destroy what the Hawks did. It's tough to name a straight list with all the variables in play.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 09:40 PM
hisgirlfriday

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMyFault View Post
I'm not even a fan of ND but ND is a Chicago team because of all the alums in Chicago. Their presence in Chicago is big despite the fact that South Bend, IN is 2 hours away. Lots of Hawks fans in South Bend also because a lot of students from the Chicago area. It's definitely bigger here than nationally. I agree that Illinois is probably #1. But after that ND and Northwestern are definitely a fight for #2 -- usually being ND because they're just simply a bigger football program. ND basketball though from what i've seen isn't that big.
In my experience, most ND football fans aren't alums of the university but just Irish Catholics in the Chicago area who identify more with ND on the Irish Catholic basis than the state school with the cornfield on its campus. Or they may be Illinois basketball fans who root for ND football because Illinois football is almost always awful. I still think of Chicago as more of a Big Ten city than a ND city though, although the major media definitely covers ND as if Chicago is a ND town... if that makes any sense.

hisgirlfriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 09:56 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Growing up, you were either in the 20% of kids who loved ND, or were in the 80% of kids who hated the kids who loved ND.

Old
06-29-2013, 11:03 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 5113
Yeah, the idea that Notre Dame football is a beloved organization in Chicago is about as true as Northwestern's trademarked claim that they're Chicago's Big Ten team (when, in overall popularity, Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, and maybe Iowa have more fans even with Northwestern being a few miles away).

Even amongst fellow Catholic families, there seems to be far more dislike or disinterest towards Notre Dame than liking it. Can't speak for the Irish Catholic neighborhoods, though.

Also, gotta love the moronic posts about Cubs fans. For every overprivileged closet racist preppy kid that doesn't know anything about baseball that claims to be a Cubs fan, there's some drunk jerkwark claiming that only about a third of the city's really Chicago and looking for a fight or a chance to hurl curses at you wearing while wearing a Sox hat. Both teams have some pretty negative elements to the fanbase that make stereotyping either pretty damn easy.

Also also, never got the hate that the Cubs have significantly more fans in the suburbs and especially downstate. If anything, the Sox being a complete nonfactor south of Kankakee is a marketing failure of colossal proportions by the White Sox organization.

Last edited by No Fun Shogun: 06-29-2013 at 11:10 PM.
No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 11:12 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
If anything, the Sox being a complete nonfactor south of Kankakee is a marketing failure of colossal proportions by the White Sox organization.
No ****.

They're the 2nd worst marketed team in sports history, only behind the Hawks. From moving games off WGN, to moving them to pay TV far to early, it's amazing anyone stuck with them.

Old
06-29-2013, 11:15 PM
Melrose Munch

The Bears have not won anything in almost 30 years. The Cubs should be number one.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 11:25 PM
LarmerAmonteSeabrook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
Wow!!! Kudos to you. I wish the kids had more role models like you in Chicago. It must take a lot, but you believe in what you do and I can only respect that. I wish can contribute as much to society as you do one day.
Most people question why I teach in the inner city. They tell me I could get a "better position" in the suburbs. But, that's not where I want to teach. It has been a blast so far in my career.

I've tried to help my students become more aware of the Hawks as well. I am a math teacher, and I put them in my word problems. Last year, my student work board was titled "Championship Work," and I threw a portrait of the 2010 Stanley Cup Blackhawks team up there. Lots of students would point to the "guy with no teeth" (Duncan Keith). They're legitimately interested, and they know I go to a ton of games and are asking me when I'll take them to a Hawks game (HA!). Some students have offered to grade my papers and make copies for me for tickets. It's awesome seeing some of them interested in the Hawks! Some of my minority co-workers were big on the bandwagon this year during our Cup run too! I was getting a bunch of visits to my classroom to talk about the previous day's game, which they were watching!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sketch22 View Post
Depends on the ratings system.

The Bears have the largest group of fans (both diehards and casual) AINEC.

The Cubs and Sox have about an equal number of diehard fans, but the Cubs will always be a bigger draw, because Wrigley is a party. A lot of day games, cute girls, and ready access to good bars. Fans who like "the party" more than they like the sport or team.

The Hawks probably have the second biggest group of diehard fans (behind the Bears) and the Bulls probably have the smallest, but the overall ranking depends more on who is winning (ie who the casual fan is paying attention to).

Right now. Bears, Hawks, Cubs, Bulls, Sox.
What a great post. And, I'd say that, if you polled the city on their #1 team, the Hawks might come out 2nd. Of course, the biggest percentage of people would say the Bears are their #1. But, there are more "Hawks are #1" than the other 3 (I'm saying this, because the Cubs I think have a ton of people in their fanbase who have the Cubs as their 2nd favorite team behind the Bears).
Quote:
The Bears have not won anything in almost 30 years. The Cubs should be number one.
That's not how it is in virtually every city in America. The NFL team in almost every market trumps all teams. The only cities where I would see an exception would be New York, St. Louis, and Boston.

LarmerAmonteSeabrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 11:38 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 5113
Quote:
uh...... uh.... and the Cubs have won what in the past thirty years?

And thirty years past that?

All that being said as a Cubs fan, fyi.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 08:11 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarmerAmonteSeabrook View Post

That's not how it is in virtually every city in America. The NFL team in almost every market trumps all teams. The only cities where I would see an exception would be New York, St. Louis, and Boston.
Quote:
uh...... uh.... and the Cubs have won what in the past thirty years?

All that being said as a Cubs fan, fyi.
I think that if the Cubs have a drought, it should not be held against them they way it is because the people don't bring up what the Bears drought is all the time.

Old
06-30-2013, 08:13 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarmerAmonteSeabrook View Post
Most people question why I teach in the inner city. They tell me I could get a "better position" in the suburbs. But, that's not where I want to teach. It has been a blast so far in my career.

I've tried to help my students become more aware of the Hawks as well. I am a math teacher, and I put them in my word problems. Last year, my student work board was titled "Championship Work," and I threw a portrait of the 2010 Stanley Cup Blackhawks team up there. Lots of students would point to the "guy with no teeth" (Duncan Keith). They're legitimately interested, and they know I go to a ton of games and are asking me when I'll take them to a Hawks game (HA!). Some students have offered to grade my papers and make copies for me for tickets. It's awesome seeing some of them interested in the Hawks! Some of my minority co-workers were big on the bandwagon this year during our Cup run too! I was getting a bunch of visits to my classroom to talk about the previous day's game, which they were watching!
Wow That's great. I like the fact you are doing your part to help grow the Hawks fanbase. Do you think some of them will stick with it in the future?

Old
06-30-2013, 09:12 AM
MurrayBannerman
Uno Besto Washoooooo

vCash: 470
Watch out, McLurking thinks the Sox have some sort of golden ******* that is impervious to wrong doing and racist tshirts.

MurrayBannerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:05 AM
hawksfan79

Wow, some.....interesting responses in this thread haha...

I am a black guy from the southside, who happens to be a Cubs fan (who knew...short story shorter, when I was younger, we did not have cable, so the only baseball I saw was on WGN, who had (and still have) the Cubs, so despite living on the south side I was a Cubs fan). Although today I could really give 2 craps about Chicago baseball in general because it's so awful....

My rankings would be:

Bears

Bulls

Cubs/Hawks

White Sox

Bears is an obvious #1, I laughed when someone brought this up the other day, if both happened on the same day, what would get more coverage if Jay Cutler got arrested, or the Hawks won it all. Bulls I think are a solid #2, the Jordan era lifted basketball's popularity here into permanent form. Just look at the attendance post Jordan, pre Derrick Rose, and they STILL sold out despite trotting out some of the worst teams known to man. Cubs would be much closer to second if they were any good, but despite Wrigley being an experience, the years upon years of losing are starting to take a bit of a toll in ratings and attendance. Hawks obviously used to be MUCH lower, but success and good marketing have raised their level. The key for them is can they sustain the momentum when they don't win. White Sox have good hard core fans, but if they're not winning, they really struggle.

Just my 4 cents!

hawksfan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:20 AM
McLurking

Quote:
Also also, never got the hate that the Cubs have significantly more fans in the suburbs and especially downstate. If anything, the Sox being a complete nonfactor south of Kankakee is a marketing failure of colossal proportions by the White Sox organization.
True Sox, marketing sucks but Cubs have all this marketing and are irrelevant in parts of the city. There are parts of Chicago that you don't even see Cub fans. You see Bulls and Bears fans EVERYWHERE. Most sports fans in Chicago have gone to at least gone to a Bulls or Bears game before, I know people here in Chicago who have never gone to Wrigley, I know people who have barely even SEEN Wrigley with their own eyes. I've seen Wrigley three times, it is so irrelevant to some people here some people don't even think about Wrigley Field. But mention Soldier Field and the UC, everybody in Chicago's lives have been touched by those two stadiums. To hell with Wrigley Field.

Sox fans really don't care though about the burbs except maybe the South Burbs and Northwest Indiana. If the Cubs want to run the rest of suburbs they can have it. But for them to sit here self aggrandizing themselves as if they are equal to
the Bulls and Bears is crazy. Cub fans self embellish like no other fanbase. They are the ONLY fanbase in America who could be hated in parts of their OWN city but still regard themselves as a top 2 team in that same city. As if they touch as many lives as the Bears and Bulls. Complete BS.

McLurking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:46 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
I think that if the Cubs have a drought, it should not be held against them they way it is because the people don't bring up what the Bears drought is all the time.
The Bears played for a championship 7 years ago. The Cubs haven't for almost 70. There is no comparison.

Old
06-30-2013, 11:13 AM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLurking View Post
They are the ONLY fanbase in America who could be hated in parts of their OWN city but still regard themselves as a top 2 team in that same city. As if they touch as many lives as the Bears and Bulls. Complete BS.
Knicks? Yankees? Dumb post is dumb.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:14 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksfan79 View Post
Wow, some.....interesting responses in this thread haha...

I am a black guy from the southside, who happens to be a Cubs fan (who knew...short story shorter, when I was younger, we did not have cable, so the only baseball I saw was on WGN, who had (and still have) the Cubs, so despite living on the south side I was a Cubs fan). Although today I could really give 2 craps about Chicago baseball in general because it's so awful....

My rankings would be:

Bears

Bulls

Cubs/Hawks

White Sox

Bears is an obvious #1, I laughed when someone brought this up the other day, if both happened on the same day, what would get more coverage if Jay Cutler got arrested, or the Hawks won it all. Bulls I think are a solid #2, the Jordan era lifted basketball's popularity here into permanent form. Just look at the attendance post Jordan, pre Derrick Rose, and they STILL sold out despite trotting out some of the worst teams known to man. Cubs would be much closer to second if they were any good, but despite Wrigley being an experience, the years upon years of losing are starting to take a bit of a toll in ratings and attendance. Hawks obviously used to be MUCH lower, but success and good marketing have raised their level. The key for them is can they sustain the momentum when they don't win. White Sox have good hard core fans, but if they're not winning, they really struggle.

Just my 4 cents!
Black cubs fan... this is sacreligous

Old
06-30-2013, 11:21 AM
hawksfan79

Quote:
Black cubs fan... this is sacreligous
Needle in a haystack eh? LOL!

Actually, it's been interesting this last run. My parents, who have NEVER been hockey fans, were actually interested in this run and were watching the games, moreso my dad than my mom. They are huge Bulls and Bears fans, and less so the White Sox, so it shows that even hockey can win fans of any race. We joked that the Hawks were the only team worth a damn in Chicago lately...

Not to get too off topic here, but I think this is an opportunity for the Hawks to embrace the minority community even more, bring the Cup to a poor neighborhood for a celebration, it would do them wonders.

hawksfan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:23 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
True Sox, marketing sucks but Cubs have all this marketing and are irrelevant in parts of the city. There are parts of Chicago that you don't even see Cub fans. You see Bulls and Bears fans EVERYWHERE. Most sports fans in Chicago have gone to at least gone to a Bulls or Bears game before, I know people here in Chicago who have never gone to Wrigley, I know people who have barely even SEEN Wrigley with their own eyes. I've seen Wrigley three times, it is so irrelevant to some people here some people don't even think about Wrigley Field. But mention Soldier Field and the UC, everybody in Chicago's lives have been touched by those two stadiums. To hell with Wrigley Field.

Sox fans really don't care though about the burbs except maybe the South Burbs and Northwest Indiana. If the Cubs want to run the rest of suburbs they can have it. But for them to sit here self aggrandizing themselves as if they are equal to
the Bulls and Bears is crazy. Cub fans self embellish like no other fanbase. They are the ONLY fanbase in America who could be hated in parts of their OWN city but still regard themselves as a top 2 team in that same city. As if they touch as many lives as the Bears and Bulls. Complete BS.
Dude you have a inferiority complex.

Old
06-30-2013, 11:44 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksfan79 View Post
Needle in a haystack eh? LOL!

Actually, it's been interesting this last run. My parents, who have NEVER been hockey fans, were actually interested in this run and were watching the games, moreso my dad than my mom. They are huge Bulls and Bears fans, and less so the White Sox, so it shows that even hockey can win fans of any race. We joked that the Hawks were the only team worth a damn in Chicago lately...

Not to get too off topic here, but I think this is an opportunity for the Hawks to embrace the minority community even more, bring the Cup to a poor neighborhood for a celebration, it would do them wonders.
Definately. I think Chicago is the place to grow hockey heavily. On the south side, vacant lots can be come roller rinks and get some school hockey set up. Thousands of possibilities.

Old
06-30-2013, 11:59 AM
ebox99

Seem like everyone's got a gut feeling from their experiences but can we get metrics to compare all the franchises.

Numbers will determine where the teams rank - I realize it can change every year depend who is winning.

But over lets say 5 years what do the attendance figures, TV ratings, sponsorships, social media, season tickets, season tickets on reserve list, ticket prices, 2nd market for tickets, radio, etc say about these teams?

IU, can you get tv ratings for these teams???

If possible, we should debate with actually numbers to cause numbers are good indicators of how things are the past 5 years.

Cause 2 million people is a lot of people for a parade. Until other teams have a parade, we won't know how many will attend.

Getting 800K HH and up for TV finals ratings is pretty high.

ebox99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 12:45 PM
The Good Doctor
RIP HST (1937-2005)

Quote:
Cub fans self embellish like no other fanbase.
Pot, kettle, etc.

The Good Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 08:32 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Ignore McLurking guys, he doesn't represent what 90% of Sox fans think.

Old
06-30-2013, 08:50 PM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

Quote:

Have you ever been to New York?

JerseyGuy276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:26 PM
hisgirlfriday

Quote:
Definately. I think Chicago is the place to grow hockey heavily. On the south side, vacant lots can be come roller rinks and get some school hockey set up. Thousands of possibilities.
I could also see growth for hockey in Chicagoland with the Big Ten establishing its own hockey conference finally.

hisgirlfriday is offline   Reply With Quote