HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sean Couturier's Wingers

Old
06-26-2013, 11:47 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by usahockey22flyers View Post
True, but this HAS to be the year he gets top 6 minutes. I just don't see that line scoring very much to be honest. We need Couturier to start becoming Toews, not Dave Bolland.

He needs to produce offensively! More minutes, better linemates, not a rookie and a semi washed up-injury prone winger. This guy was projected to go #1 overall before mono, and yes, a big part was his hockey IQ and amazing defensive instics, but the other big part was the 90+ pointss he put up in Drummondville.
This is why I'm saying that it's time to move Schenn to wing and let Laughton play the 3rd pairing.

Schenn can be that Shane Doan kind of guy given the chance. Settle him next to Giroux and Voracek. I promise we won't regret it.

Schenn - Giroux - Voracek
Hartnell - Couturier - Simmonds
Raffl - Laughton - Clarkson/Gagne/Read/Stalberg/Horton/Cleary/Bickell
Rinaldo - Hall - Talbot

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 11:53 AM
usahockey22flyers
Daje Roma!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
This is why I'm saying that it's time to move Schenn to wing and let Laughton play the 3rd pairing.

Schenn can be that Shane Doan kind of guy given the chance. Settle him next to Giroux and Voracek. I promise we won't regret it.

Rinaldo - Hall - Talbot
Agreed 100%. Should be an interesting summer.

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 01:49 PM
kudymen
Sophomore human

Looking at all those line combos here and all the young guys getting a little more important roles, I'm excited about the next season

kudymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 01:55 PM
PayItForward

Quote:
Originally Posted by usahockey22flyers View Post
True, but this HAS to be the year he gets top 6 minutes. I just don't see that line scoring very much to be honest. We need Couturier to start becoming Toews, not Dave Bolland.

He needs to produce offensively! More minutes, better linemates, not a rookie and a semi washed up-injury prone winger. This guy was projected to go #1 overall before mono, and yes, a big part was his hockey IQ and amazing defensive instics, but the other big part was the 90+ pointss he put up in Drummondville.
People expecting Couturier to be Jonathan Toews are going to be disappointed IMO. Couturier didn't just drop because of mono, he dropped because of things like his offensive upside as well.

Last edited by PayItForward: 06-26-2013 at 02:01 PM.
PayItForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 03:09 PM
04' hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PayItForward View Post
People expecting Couturier to be Jonathan Toews are going to be disappointed IMO. Couturier didn't just drop because of mono, he dropped because of things like his offensive upside as well.
HUH ??, he has some of the best on ice vision and passing skills on the team, give him some decent wingers AND some ****ing playing time

04' hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 03:15 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PayItForward View Post
That's funny, because the stats could argue that he was the best offensive player from his draft class. The point is let's let these guys at least develop for 3-4 years before we start trying to pigeon hole what they're going to be in their primes. You're right, Couturier could top out as a third line center, but he could also develop into a number one centerman capable of 70+ points a year.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 03:21 PM
Zod
Disappointment Train

Couturier's gotten frustrated offensively, but he's still got great eyes for passing.

If he's given better minutes and maybe allowed to start anywhere other than the defensive zone...pair him with one of our hungrier guys. Read or Simmonds could probably get him going. He doesn't have a bad shot either--if he's pushed offensively, I think we'll see some production.

Move Schenn to wing for Giroux, and put Couturier on the second line. Working with Read, Hartnell, Simmonds, and maybe some Voracek, and give him the time an opportunity to grow. Hopefully Laughton'll let us stop leaning on Couturier's defense so much.

Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 03:45 PM
Curufinwe

vCash: 50
Quote:

Rinaldo - Hall - Talbot
I like these lines a lot.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 04:00 PM
StoneHands

vCash: 2425
Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Ryan-giroux-voracek
Hartnell-schenn-simmonds
Gagne-couturier-read
Could you imagine playing against that line?

StoneHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 04:18 PM
Appleyard
HFB Partner

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneHands View Post
The Hartnell-Schenn-Simmonds combo was used in a few games this year... they looked pretty awesome together tbh... hell to play against in the offensive zone and along the boards, it looked like the D had no space at all at times and made bad decisions as they were terrified they were going to be hit.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 04:22 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Can i make a fan made lineup?

Ok im doing it:

Straka-Giroux-Voracek
Hartnell-Schenn-Simmonds
Brunner-Couturier-Read
Talbot-Laughton-Rinaldo

Yeaaaaaaa

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 04:36 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Well Hartnell did play with Schenn and Simmonds near the end of the year, IIRC, when Lavy moved Gagne up with Giroux and Voracek. They were good.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 04:55 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Or the one above it. Both of those lines could do some damage

FLYERSFAN18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 05:05 PM
SolidSnakeUS

For me:

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Schenn-Couturier-Simmonds
Gagne/Clarkson/MacArthur/Raymond/Brunner-Laughton-Read
Talbot-Hall-Rinaldo

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 06:31 PM
DrHamburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Can i make a fan made lineup?

Ok im doing it:

Straka-Giroux-Voracek
Hartnell-Schenn-Simmonds
Brunner-Couturier-Read
Talbot-Laughton-Rinaldo

Yeaaaaaaa
I see a lot of people doing stuff like this. Not saying this is bad, in fact it looks pretty good to me (Idk about straka though ). I think something we all have to consider is Hartnell was pretty bad last season offensively. While I fully expect he will bounce back, I would be extremely hesitant to take Hartnell away from Giroux. Hartnell at his cap hit needs to produce. I am not so sure putting him with someone else other than Giroux would be the best idea. If you can get good production from Hartnell and Simmonds with Schenn, then I would do these lines in a heartbeat.

I also said this in some other threads but Voracek played extremely well last season. I fully believe he can produce as the main guy on a line. Also I am not sure I would stick Laughton on the 3rd line. I know you didnt, but many are.

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 06:39 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHamburg View Post
I see a lot of people doing stuff like this. Not saying this is bad, in fact it looks pretty good to me (Idk about straka though ). I think something we all have to consider is Hartnell was pretty bad last season offensively. While I fully expect he will bounce back, I would be extremely hesitant to take Hartnell away from Giroux. Hartnell at his cap hit needs to produce. I am not so sure putting him with someone else other than Giroux would be the best idea. If you can get good production from Hartnell and Simmonds with Schenn, then I would do these lines in a heartbeat.

I also said this in some other threads but Voracek played extremely well last season. I fully believe he can produce as the main guy on a line. Also I am not sure I would stick Laughton on the 3rd line. I know you didnt, but many are.
If he can play the third line he should. There may be some growing pains but if he is ready I don't want to see him be wasted on the 4th line like Couturier has been

FLYERSFAN18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 06:58 PM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
Quote:

Rinaldo - Hall - Talbot
I really hope Homer and Lavi read the boards. I'd love to see that happen.

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 11:57 PM
Damaged Goods

Is there any rush to convert Brayden Schenn to wing? I'd rather give him another year to prove himself and be evaluated at 2C.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 12:02 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
Is there any rush to convert Brayden Schenn to wing? I'd rather give him another year to prove himself and be evaluated at 2C.
I think there's more of a rush to put Couturier on a scoring line. That's the whole point of moving Schenn to the outside.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 02:13 AM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
I think there's more of a rush to put Couturier on a scoring line. That's the whole point of moving Schenn to the outside.
But you could be compromising Schenn's development to serve Couturier's offensive opportunities. That doesn't seem like getting ahead.

As long as Couturier has some quality two-way wingers to play with, why does he need to be on a designated "scoring" line this year? You want still want to maximize Couturier's defensive ability by giving him a healthy amount of defensive zone draws, right? How much defensive responsibility is going to be handed over to a built-from-scratch 3rd line that we can only assume will have lesser defensive utility than a Couturier line could provide?

I think it's possible (and preferable) to serve the interests of both prospects as centers next season if you're still committed to developing both of them. Couturier put up 27 points as a teenaged rookie playing with mostly drek on the 4th line. I think he can thrive in a two-way role on the 3rd line with quality wingers. Why not give that a chance? I thought that was what so much of Couturier's rookie appeal was about -- squeezing offense out of crap. Keep Couturier in a defensive-oriented role, but don't make him work with such crap, and you could find consistent offense too.

I feel like Schenn, Couturier and Laughton are ALL being rushed in your scenario. I see no problem with Schenn at 2C, Couturier at 3C and Laughton probably in the AHL this year.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 04:23 AM
Flyerfan808

I want Stalberg, but I doubt we will get him. I have a feeling a cap floor team will over him ~4M. He just won a cup, so... PAYDAY.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 04:34 AM
OzFlyers
Registered Boozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
I want Stalberg, but I doubt we will get him. I have a feeling a cap floor team will over him ~4M. He just won a cup, so... PAYDAY.
I am interested in him as well but wasn't he a healthy scratch for 1-2 games in the finals??

OzFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 12:12 AM
tuckrr

My top 9 would be

Hartnell Giroux Voracek
Schenn Cooter Jagr/Lecavalier
Simmonds Akeson Read

also very open to getting Jagr & Lecavalier

Make a line of
Jagr Cooter Lecavalier

The puck possession would be exhausting for other teams...

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 12:24 AM
El Dandy*

Something has to give with Schenn and Couturier.

They both need Top 6 minutes, so one of them really needs to move to a wing for the sake of them each reaching their offensive potential. Unless someone makes the switch, this will be a problem going forwards until one of Giroux, Schenn, or Couturier leave.

I really don't want Couturier to be pigeon holed in that 3C spot. Couturier can be so much more than a checking line center and great PK'er if given the minutes and the right line mates.

Last edited by El Dandy*: 06-30-2013 at 12:32 AM.
El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 12:34 AM
Cootsfanclub
For Mr. Snider

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dandy View Post
Something has to give with Schenn and Couturier.

They both need Top 6 minutes, so one of them really needs to move to a wing for the sake of them each reaching their offensive potential. This also has nothing to do with being rushed because this will be a problem going forwards until one of Giroux, Schenn, or Couturier leave.

Couturier can be so much more than a checking line center and great PK'er if given the minutes and the right line mates.
A Gagne-Couturier-Read line makes so much sense. The line can frustrate any line in the NHL on one side of the ice and score on the other.

Cootsfanclub is online now   Reply With Quote