HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Today I... (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
06-20-2013, 09:46 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stocky View Post
I hear you, man. I just started playing again 2 weeks ago, after I had to take an 8 month break from hockey while I was deployed. It sucked. Believe me, it feels great once you finally get back!
Congrats buddy. I got another 4 months left in my posting then I'm back on the ice. I'm contemplating whether or not to use the leaves I saved up to play hockey, but I'd have to burn off two days just for one game of shinny because the commute takes half a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinology View Post
Wow that's insane, I thought I was the only one to get that recurring nightmare. In my dreams I've either forgotten an important piece of equipment or for some reason it's taking me an insane amount of time to get ready and I miss the game.
Heh. I had several variation of those dreams.

At least two other dreams (or a nightmare for hockey players) where I was supposed to get dressed for the game, and ended up doing some stupid **** and not playing. I remember one time I placed my bag in the dressing room and was getting ready to gear up, but ended up playing some scavenger hunt in the community center. Stupid.

Old
06-21-2013, 10:41 AM
Jisatsu

Went to my weekly drop in game this morning, half the regulars didn't show. It's obvious school is out due to the amount of ankle biters committing suicide into the boards in an adult game. The dumb parents just smile and cheer as their 8-10 year olds almost get serious injuries. Ah I love summer time. Hopefully within a week or two the kids realize they don't have to be up at 5am and just sleep past the morning skates.

Old
06-24-2013, 10:59 PM
SkyKushryd

Today I got my schedule for my summer hockey league.

Only 4 teams in the league, gentlemans rules, but its hockey.

Love that I get to play with an old classmate again this year, we tore it up last summer, hopefully we can do it again.

Old
06-25-2013, 12:05 AM
Maccas

Today (Well yesterday but I couldn't post then) I found out that I have been voted in as captain for my newest team!
I'm absolutely buzzing, its a beginners team that is full with loads of absolutely great guys who are all really eager to learn.
This is gonna be fun!

Old
06-25-2013, 01:52 AM
Primrose Everdeen
Lucy

vCash: 100
Today my rec league team got outshot 58-12 in a 9-0 loss.

I blame Clownquestion for recruiting me to this team and then not actually playing for us.

Old
06-25-2013, 08:26 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Bought another stick...

CCM U + CL Nugent - Hopkins pattern. Midnight color scheme. Looking forward to getting this one as my Mako is pretty banged up.

Old
06-26-2013, 09:15 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Played pickup last night for the first time in a while and a lot faster skate than I'm used to. Was good to push myself but we had a short bench and I was dead at the end. My legs are just toast right now and I jammed my thumb.

On the plus side, I had two goals which, granted it's pickup, but I could kind of hang. Also, I was doing much better in terms of passing the puck, seeing my teammates, and actually doing things other than head down and try to score by myself.

Old
06-26-2013, 01:16 PM
Thesensation19

I live on Long Island, work in NYC now. The commute kinda blows but oh well. I make the best of it. I try to come up with a routine on my way home. I find writing things down especially a weekly schedule or routine that I get more amped to complete it and I actually do go through the steps lol.

So yesterday (not Today), I came up with a good one. Worked on weight training and this time tried to mimic the stress that my body will go through in a given game. Leg stuff, lower back stuff, overall body of course but mostly those two things.

I came up with:
Warm up: have a standard routine to raise heart rate, dynamic stretches, kicks, jumps etc.
Started with Deadlifts: Set 1: Warm up. Set 2: Low load for 10 reps. Set 3: medium load for 8 reps. Set 4: High load 6 reps. Then tried to stay at the high load and do 1 set of 4 reps, 2 reps and 1 rep. Then go back down to low load and do it 10x
Sumo Deadlifts: Low load for 10x. Medium for 6x. High for 4x.
Military pull ups: 5x- failure each time
Chin ups: 5x failure each time
Back extensions- 3 sets of 10 reps of just body weight.
Lunges: 3 sets of 10.

Nice cool down and static stretch.

I knew this was going to be a whole lot but thought I could do this if everything went right. I like to make it challenging because even if my body cant complete it I know I did a lot.

Sadly, I realized I got on the wrong train (first time in 2 months lol). And went way past my exit simply because i was forced to once I knew my faith. I didnt get home until 45 minutes after I planned to. I knew I had to eat something in order to have any energy for this so that made me wait to go the gym for another 45 minutes (prepare oatmeal, digest and relax for a bit).

When I finally hit the gym. I basically did it all. I did the deadlifts as planned. Back squats too but replaced some of my originally planned sets with jump squats.

Did the pull ups and chin ups to failure but because I was sore from the day before and tired already my failure was quite laughable. But failure is failure in my eyes and that was a solid for me.

Instead of back extensions. I put the 45 lb on my back and did some sets by lowering myself and picking it back up. Dk whats that called, yet, but that was better for me today. Better mimicking hockey as your always bent over from skating.

I was abs dead at this point but I finished off with single stationary lunges.

The one thing I was mad at was that I didnt put more focus in my warm up like I usually do because of the time. Because of that, I was not fully ready for such a work out involving so much legs which suffered later on as I could tell. So new rule, NEVER EVER SKIP A GREAT WARM UP. DO NOT UNDERVALUE IT.

I should have done a foam roller at home or stretched at home while digesting and relaxing. I should have left quickly after that rather than going on the HF boards site lol and spending an extra 15 min of comments.

I should have spent more than 10 minutes in my after workout stretch too. I did only like 5 minutes.

It was a solid day, but as you can see I could have easily have been more efficient and probably see more gains.

****The day before that I did 100 push ups, 150 squats, 30 high jumps, 30 lunges, some bicep curls (because I rarely focus only on my biceps) and like 5 sets of 20 shoulder presses with about 30% of my max load. I finished off with some light swimming, some light hydrolic work outs. Like jumps in my pool. Kicks also. Leg extensions and hip movement. ****

I love pool work outs.

Today I want to relax. I am going to hang out with the girlfriend and get my mind off working out. Today I want to stretch though. Sometimes do it with her or Ill wait til I get home later tonight. Do like 30 min of yoga, foam roller too. Hot shower, maybe mix in with a cold one. Really spend the day recovering for a long week ahead.

I also wanna do some stick handling in my garage to work on some skill based movements.

Old
06-28-2013, 01:39 AM
gosinger

...received my Warrior AX2 Elbow Pads, lets see if I will regret not getting the AX1 or if I'll like these So far they feel quite good, but seem to be on the short side.

Old
06-28-2013, 01:47 AM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Had a game and while putting my helmet in its bag, discovered a 3inch scratch down the front of my Oakley visor. Time to pony up $80 for a new one I guess. GRRRRRRRR!

Old
06-28-2013, 03:14 AM
snizzbone
Give me the puck ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman View Post
Had a game and while putting my helmet in its bag, discovered a 3inch scratch down the front of my Oakley visor. Time to pony up $80 for a new one I guess. GRRRRRRRR!
Look up TRON visors. Made in the same factory apparently, price is a quarter of the Oakleys. Tons of reviews on em if you don't trust me .

Old
06-28-2013, 08:09 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowzie View Post
Look up TRON visors. Made in the same factory apparently, price is a quarter of the Oakleys. Tons of reviews on em if you don't trust me .
Thanks for the heads up! I'll definitely check it out.

Old
06-29-2013, 10:15 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowzie View Post
Checked them out and read some pros and cons on them from another board. Have you had any experience with them? I understand you get what you pay for and I'm wondering if I want something that isn't garbage to just get another Oakley shield though its 4x more expensive.

Old
06-30-2013, 02:29 AM
sxHarr05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman View Post
Checked them out and read some pros and cons on them from another board. Have you had any experience with them? I understand you get what you pay for and I'm wondering if I want something that isn't garbage to just get another Oakley shield though its 4x more expensive.
I've had a TRON visor on my bucket for about a year now. Roller through last summer/fall and ice starting this past January. No issues at all. Been banged around a bit in the bag and has held up. Cleans up fine, only fogs when sitting for a bit during play but clears right up. For the time and use it's been well worth the small cash outlay and has performed better than I expected.

Old
06-30-2013, 01:42 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxHarr05 View Post
I've had a TRON visor on my bucket for about a year now. Roller through last summer/fall and ice starting this past January. No issues at all. Been banged around a bit in the bag and has held up. Cleans up fine, only fogs when sitting for a bit during play but clears right up. For the time and use it's been well worth the small cash outlay and has performed better than I expected.
Great, thanks for the opinion! Maybe I will pick up two of these for half the cost of the Oakley.

Old
06-30-2013, 02:22 PM
Ozz

Stormed through the semi-finals and later the finals in one of our leagues. Some of us were supposed to go to our other league for the finals tonight but it got cancelled. We shall play later this week!

Old
07-01-2013, 10:45 AM
Jisatsu

Played 2 hours of pick up with a couple guys I knew in high school that played AAA and jr A back in the 90s. Was a great game, even though those guys haven't played in over a decade the game was pretty fast paced and fun. The contrast between the younger players and us older guys and our play styles was pretty neat. Way more passing and play making compared to the kids.

Anyways had a Div1 game cancelled tonight. Was pretty bummed about it as I've been looking forward to playing competitive again.

Old
07-01-2013, 11:14 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Start really getting serious about my diet and exercise, and more importantly cutting back on the drinking today. Want to be in better shape for my wedding, honeymoon, and fall league. Hoping to get down 10-15 pounds in the next few months.

Also, thumb sprain is almost healed, which is nice.

Old
07-01-2013, 01:24 PM
stocky

Found out my Tuesday and Thursday pick up games are cancelled this week. Dangit...

Old
07-01-2013, 02:23 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Start really getting serious about my diet and exercise, and more importantly cutting back on the drinking today. Want to be in better shape for my wedding, honeymoon, and fall league. Hoping to get down 10-15 pounds in the next few months.

Also, thumb sprain is almost healed, which is nice.
Switching to eating clean and just about eliminating drinking will take care of that in no time. Add in working out and you should have no problems at all.

I did the same just over a year ago because I was sick of not being in the shape I should be and knew it would make me a better hockey player. Best health decision I've ever made and it's reinforced every time I look in the mirror or take the ice.

Old
07-01-2013, 03:30 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rundblad View Post
Today my rec league team got outshot 58-12 in a 9-0 loss.

I blame Clownquestion for recruiting me to this team and then not actually playing for us.

Hey, it's not like my presence on your team would make a big difference!

I'll admit, the level of play in that particular league has gone up quite a bit this season.

Old
07-01-2013, 06:43 PM
Malarowski

vCash: 822
Signed up for an Instructional League starting July 15th. Very pumped to finally get to play games that matter after grinding through clinics three times a week so far this year.

Old
07-06-2013, 12:39 AM
Stereo Dice
Rookie User

Skated for the first time ever tonight. It will be awhile before I can play hockey.

Old
07-06-2013, 05:35 PM
ShootsWide

Our usual goalie is going to be on vacation for the next 2 weeks. He just started being a goalie for the first time last season. I decided to volunteer to step in to be our goalie for the next 2 games and today I practiced for the first time with full equipment. It is by far one of the hardest things I have ever done in sports. And I have played just about every position(not always in a league or organized play) in almost every sport, minus basketball. It was ridiculous how difficult it was for me to be in between the pipes. I have a new found respect for goalies. I always knew their job was hard but damn that was insane. It is inline so I had a hard time dropping down without my wheels sticking. We are looking for a sub but if we cant find one, I will have a hard job ahead of me

Old
07-06-2013, 07:04 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereo Dice View Post
Skated for the first time ever tonight. It will be awhile before I can play hockey.
Stick with it; everyone was a beginner at one point.

Closed Thread