HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

RIP Playoffs 1994-2013

Old
06-30-2013, 05:00 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarter View Post

You're right... rivalries are terrible.
yay, i get a manufactured rivalry with calgary and colorado

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 05:07 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
The uneven divisions are going to make for some extreme stupidity come the end of the season next year.

Hopefully they expand or contract 2 teams ASAP. It's pretty inexcusable for a major sports league to have uneven divisions in 2013.
Give it some time, taxpayer funded 400+ million dollar arenas don't get built overnight.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 08:30 AM
zeropotentate

I grew up on the old format, but I am really excited for the new one. Not even the uneven divisions bother me, because the NHL was like that many a time.

There may be no heated rivalries for some teams yet (Detroit, Columbus especially) but I know that will change over time, and I am excited to see those rivalries start up

zeropotentate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 06:37 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeropotentate View Post
I grew up on the old format, but I am really excited for the new one. Not even the uneven divisions bother me, because the NHL was like that many a time.

There may be no heated rivalries for some teams yet (Detroit, Columbus especially) but I know that will change over time, and I am excited to see those rivalries start up
Toronto-Detroit will probably re-heat up instantly, especially since they will be in the Winter Classic.

Pittsburgh-Columbus should be a good one, IMO.

06-30-2013, 08:43 PM
zeropotentate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
Toronto-Detroit will probably re-heat up instantly, especially since they will be in the Winter Classic.

Pittsburgh-Columbus should be a good one, IMO.
Yeah, i see those two teams being rivals as well.

I also think that Detroit and Florida could develop one (seems crazy)

zeropotentate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 08:49 PM
Grimmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
I understand why they realigned, but I think this divisional format will get old after a while and start to water down the rivalries. There seems to be this sense that certain teams can only have rivalries with a handful of other teams, and that there is no way they can develop a rivalry with anyone else. That just seems closed-minded to me. Hockey purists, it's time to take your heads out of the 80's.

Would rather just see the division winners as the #1 and #2 seeds in the conference, with seeds 3-8 going by whoever has the most points.
There is 7-8 teams in your division. If 6-7 rivalries aren't enough for you, how many do you need?

Grimmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:19 PM
CBCnutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernILHawksFan View Post
Wish they just went with straight divisional playoffs. I'm glad realignment's here but I liked the four-conference format proposed last season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I'm pretty excited for new structure. There's going to be a lot of rivalry matchups.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
So glad we are getting (mostly) divisional playoffs back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosox1001 View Post
I don't think it will water down any rivalries, as the rivalries we know and love in the NHL were borne from this similar format style. Familiarity breeds resentment. Let's just hope we don't have the Prince of Wales conference make a comeback! That trophy is cursed enough! Wish we could give it to the Western teams for them to deal with!
It's sad that this division format is coming and the new structure is terrible. Familiarity can also breed monotony. The top 8 in each conference is the best way. What is cursed about the Wales conference? The eastern team won the cup half the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
I understand why they realigned, but I think this divisional format will get old after a while and start to water down the rivalries. There seems to be this sense that certain teams can only have rivalries with a handful of other teams, and that there is no way they can develop a rivalry with anyone else. That just seems closed-minded to me. Hockey purists, it's time to take your heads out of the 80's.

Would rather just see the division winners as the #1 and #2 seeds in the conference, with seeds 3-8 going by whoever has the most points.
Well said Shockmaster and I like the 3-8 idea, it is the best way to go.

CBCnutcase is offline   Reply With Quote