HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Madison Square Garden Renovations (Part V)

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Old MSG 79 49.07%
New MSG 82 50.93%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-24-2013, 03:48 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megustaelhockey View Post
I don't know how much of a difference it will make, to be honest. It's still on the fifth floor above a skankerrific train station...
I would like to think that the ice plants and flooring architecture they have for hockey rinks these days are much more effective then the ones they used in the early 60's.

I understand your point about Penn Station, but I'm hoping they have done their homework on counteracting the heat generated from below. They are going to such lengths to renovate this arena to modern standards, the ice HAS to be better. It won't be Edmonton ice, but anything is better than what they've been skating on the past 50 years.

I wonder if better ice was a tiny part of the decision process regarding Torts/AV.

Old
06-24-2013, 05:06 PM
dubidubidu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
Amtrak and NJT would throw fits if they're moved to predominantly LIRR track. The NJT service to NYP Is all catenary, I'm not sure if all the LIRR used tracks are. I don't even think the Arrow 3 MU's or the PL42 AC units have shoes. LIRR and MN 3rd rail shoes are different in the sense that LIRR's go over and MN's under, IIRC. That's the reason why Amtrak doesn't use GCT anymore. MN M8 and M2 MU's can do both, yes. Depending on what tracks are used, they'd have to be careful of arcing with the catenary wires because HHP8 and ALP46 units are beasts. This probably means the Arrow 3 MU's are going to be retired soon as well

-Train Buff.
For a second there I thought I was over on the Railroad.net forums.. haha

Old
06-25-2013, 06:56 PM
nyrmetros

Railroad.net forums ftw!

Old
06-25-2013, 10:47 PM
Baby Punisher

If anyone is intrested the FOX Business news network will be doing an all day story on the newly renovated MSG with Steve Ratner being followed aound & interviewed.

I think it's going to air on wednesday or Thursday of this week.

Old
06-26-2013, 07:29 AM
bubba5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Punisher View Post
If anyone is intrested the FOX Business news network will be doing an all day story on the newly renovated MSG with Steve Ratner being followed aound & interviewed.

I think it's going to air on wednesday or Thursday of this week.
Wonder if he talks about how they could have built a more modern awesome new arena across the street but we cant move from this spot because we don't pay any nyc taxes and we lose it if we move!

Old
06-27-2013, 07:04 AM
ratdog07067

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/25100...d=932683241001

Not too much about the renovation itself - some talk about the recent issues with the taxes, etc.

Old
06-27-2013, 07:35 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

That's a lot of money for a renovation.

Old
06-27-2013, 11:21 AM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
That's a lot of money for a renovation.
Indeed it was, and I hate it.

Old
06-27-2013, 11:25 AM
nyrmetros

"We will be here as long as it makes sense to be here".....

Old
06-27-2013, 03:28 PM
Baby Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
"We will be here as long as it makes sense to be here".....
Yep, I caught that too. Translation we ain't moving unless we have the same deal as we have now & we will want the tax payers to foot the bill with bonds.

Honestly the city council shot themselves in the foot when they tried playing hardball with MSG & the Dolans. If the city refuses to grant the premit it will go to court & the court will undoubtly rule in favor of MSG. You can't keep them from operating. As Ratner said they own all the property & the building it sit's on.

Old
06-27-2013, 04:01 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
If the city refuses to grant the premit it will go to court & the court will undoubtly rule in favor of MSG. You can't keep them from operating.
Of course you can. You need a permit to operate a venue of over 2,500 in NYC. The requirement is established from municipal authority granted by state & federal law. Good luck with getting a court to overturn sovereignty in municipal affairs

Old
06-27-2013, 04:09 PM
dstoffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
Of course you can. You need a permit to operate a venue of over 2,500 in NYC. The requirement is established from municipal authority granted by state & federal law. Good luck with getting a court to overturn the law
That permit was one of the last obstacles preventing MSG Corporation from building Garden IV in 1963. It is safe to say that the Garden would never have been built if that permit could not have been secured. The Garden's inherent value is tied to that permit.

The permit denial is the beginning of an attempt to expand Penn Station, presumably for a public purpose... A lawyer could argue that non-renewal violates the takings clause of the Constitution. (Seizure of property w/o just compensation). Let us operate, or pay us fair market value for the property, and you can do with it what you please.

Old
06-27-2013, 10:19 PM
Baby Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
Of course you can. You need a permit to operate a venue of over 2,500 in NYC. The requirement is established from municipal authority granted by state & federal law. Good luck with getting a court to overturn sovereignty in municipal affairs
Money talks, especialy in municpal affairs.

Old
06-27-2013, 10:41 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
Money talks, especialy in municpal affairs.
Yeah, and the air rights over the Penn station block are worth a colossal fortune. MSG will eventually cash in on that when they do move in however many decades

Old
06-28-2013, 12:13 PM
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Hybrid icing

I really need a 2013-14 seating chart. Does anyone know if this is going to be posted after the upgrade process is over?

Old
06-28-2013, 12:23 PM
dstoffa

Quote:
I really need a 2013-14 seating chart. Does anyone know if this is going to be posted after the upgrade process is over?
I would think that they'd update the io-media simulator by the end of the summer.

You can still use the 2012 version. (And even the 2011 version if you are nostalgic)

http://rangers2012.io-media.com/
http://rangers2011.io-media.com/

Changing 2012 to 2013 results in an error message...
[edit]

Not any more....
http://rangers2013.io-media.com/

New virtual arena up and running...
[/edit]

Last edited by dstoffa: 07-08-2013 at 01:49 PM. Reason: New 411
Old
06-30-2013, 09:47 AM
McDunna with Fries

Can anyone confirm the row 14 cutoff for the bridge obstructing view? And do we know which sections are affected by the bridge?

Old
06-30-2013, 09:54 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDunna with Fries View Post
Can anyone confirm the row 14 cutoff for the bridge obstructing view? And do we know which sections are affected by the bridge?
Don't think anyone here is knowledgeable enough regarding the particulars of the bridge placement to confirm that for you. And how do you define "affected"? Some might say if it blocks any portion of the center ice scoreboard it affects them...others might say that the tunnel vision is a nuisance, while others might be distracted by people walking around above. I think the first won't apply to people in row 14, but the latter will likely be subjective.

Old
06-30-2013, 09:57 AM
McDunna with Fries

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Don't think anyone here is knowledgeable enough regarding the particulars of the bridge placement to confirm that for you. And how do you define "affected"? Some might say if it blocks any portion of the center ice scoreboard it affects them...others might say that the tunnel vision is a nuisance, while others might be distracted by people walking around above. I think the first won't apply to people in row 14, but the latter will likely be subjective.
I'm talking view of the game. Is the obstructed view only obstruction of the scoreboard? Does the bridge go goal to goal or across center ice?

Old
06-30-2013, 10:01 AM
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Hybrid icing

Quote:
I'm talking view of the game. Is the obstructed view only obstruction of the scoreboard? Does the bridge go goal to goal or across center ice?
Madison Square Garden has previously stated in the media that the ice surface will not be obstructed for anyone.

It's just the view of the scoreboard and the tunnel vision concept that people who prefer to sit in the upper bowl like to ***** about here, and, honestly, I am sick of hearing about it sight unseen. Let's let the thing get built and then start a whole new thread about how much it sucks.

Old
06-30-2013, 10:09 AM
McDunna with Fries

Quote:
Madison Square Garden has previously stated in the media that the ice surface will not be obstructed for anyone.

It's just the view of the scoreboard and the tunnel vision concept that people who prefer to sit in the upper bowl like to ***** about here, and, honestly, I am sick of hearing about it sight unseen. Let's let the thing get built and then start a whole new thread about how much it sucks.
OK, that's a relief then.

Do you know if the bridge goes goal to goal or across center ice?

Old
06-30-2013, 10:12 AM
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Hybrid icing

Quote:
OK, that's a relief then.

Do you know if the bridge goes goal to goal or across center ice?
They will get built parallel to the side boards. So stretching from 7th to 8th Avenue; not across the ice.

Old
06-30-2013, 10:14 AM
sbjnyc

The way the bridges are depicted in the virtual view used in the season ticket upgrade tool is directly above the lower rows of the upper bowl. They connect the 7th and 8th avenue sides and look to be the same height as the banners.

Old
06-30-2013, 10:23 AM
MessierIsGod

I remember worrying over the distraction from the "new" safety nets (I had old section 120) and I got used to that so I would think we'll adjust to the bridges too. In fact, maybe center ice with the bridges but full clear ice view is still better than watching through the net or glass.

Old
06-30-2013, 10:27 AM
darrenturcotte#8

Quote:

I agree. I sat in the old 400's for years with "tunnel vision". There were awful site lines up there and in spots you needed to lean forward (or backward) just to see the full ICE. If your seats are row 15+, they're priced to be replacement seats in the old 400's. I can't imagine with the new fantastic site lines, that your seat will be worse than in the old 400's. If your 14 or lower and you're a premium price to 15+, I would suspect you'll be able to see the scoreboard etc. Otherwise, I think they'll have to adjust the effected seats prices. But with Dolan & Co, you never know...

Closed Thread