HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Pittsburgh signs Kris Letang to extension (8 years, $7.25M per)

Old
06-30-2013, 11:33 AM
Jaded-Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleheader View Post
Kris needs a steady stay at home partner to cover for his miscues. He would have taken a bit of a pay cut if he wants a decent partner and not 3rd pairing scrubs like Eaton, Depres, Murray. Looks like nothing will change.
To a degree. Although his defensive abilities are being hammered a bit too hard here. He can play defense, he just is subject to boneheaded plays. Malkin is too, would people get rid of him? He is still young so maybe those will lessen as he grows. But when he is not making a handful of boneheaded plays he is a good defenseman as well as the best offensive defenseman in the game. Still, yeah pairing him with a great stay at home guy is a given. People just need to stop acting like he is a wing playing defense. He is not that bad.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Fordy
the kid signify

Quote:
Kris needs a steady stay at home partner to cover for his miscues. He would have taken a bit of a pay cut if he wants a decent partner and not 3rd pairing scrubs like Eaton, Depres, Murray. Looks like nothing will change.
Despres is a third pairing scrub? You really know what you're talking about.

Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mich25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Holt View Post
That's kind of what the poster and other Pens fans are getting at. Don't label players by one series.
I'm not, hence my reference to Chara being good for most of the playoffs for Boston. I wasn't impressed with Letang during the playoffs against Boston, and in general I'm not impressed with him. Agree to disagree, but I think this is big money for an unproven and over-rated player.

mich25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
since when is Despres a 3rd-pairing scrub?

Despres is ready for a top-4 role based on how he played this season. you clearly haven't watched a single second of the Pens' play with him on the ice.

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
There are a number of 'truisms' here at HF that are completely untrue. This is the worst.

Here is an article from a while ago, although it is a little old now, the underlying point has been true every year and is true today. Let me spell it out in huge letters so maybe it will sink in for some of you.

IN THE SALARY CAP ERA THE MOST LIKELY WAY TO WIN IN THE NHL IS TO HAVE AROUND 50% OF YOUR CAP TIED UP IN 5 OR FEWER PLAYERS.

'The perception seems to be that a team can't commit such large chunks of money to so few players and still build a competitive team in the salary cap era. In reality, the opposite appears to be true. Successful teams in the NHL all have this in common: they have nearly half (or more than half) of their allotted salary cap space tied up in just five players.'

http://www.aolnews.com/2010/05/24/wi...over-quantity/
The article used 1 season as a comparison of the highest paid teams, didn't do a lot of analysis between money spent and success. Also, the team that won the Cup that year only spent 46%. Pittsburgh projects to spend closer to 52% next summer.

More importantly, many of the Cup winners had high end players still on entry level deals when they won their Cups.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:34 AM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mich25 View Post
I'm not, hence my reference to Chara being good for most of the playoffs for Boston. I wasn't impressed with Letang during the playoffs against Boston, and in general I'm not impressed with him. Agree to disagree, but I think this is big money for an unproven and over-rated player.
"i'm allowed to judge Letang by one series but you can't judge Chara by one series. IT'S JUST NOT FAIR YOU GUYS"

Old
06-30-2013, 11:35 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey Hockey View Post
Not trying to be an ass, but isn't the second part of your post just a fancy way of saying he's poor defensively? I would say having the potential to be good but making bad decisions which negate that potential is the same thing as being just bad.
There is a difference. Letang is a good defensive player most of the time though subject to boneheaded plays now and then. Like I said Malkin is similar as a forward, some amazing defensive skills, but then he does something really dumb. Just like with Malkin, you take it with Letang because of what he brings all around.

Old
06-30-2013, 11:36 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey Hockey View Post
Not trying to be an ass, but isn't the second part of your post just a fancy way of saying he's poor defensively? I would say having the potential to be good but making bad decisions which negate that potential is the same thing as being just bad.
In the same way that people could be fooled into thinking Rob Schremp is a star by watching his highlights, people are fooled into thinking Letang is bad defensively based on his occasional goofs.

Youtube generation ain't got time for that.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Chara is the only D-man in the league i'd give that money too.

7.25M for a one dimensional defenseman who cant shutdown top players.

Weber, Chara, Keith can.....you win cups with dmen like these. If your #1 dman cant shutdown and is above average defensively, youre in trouble.
They have the high end forwards that can offset. Fortunately for the east their coach is too dumb to make adjustments when their transition game is shut down with those good ole stretch passes.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mich25

Quote:
Originally Posted by domaug View Post
"i'm allowed to judge Letang by one series but you can't judge Chara by one series. IT'S JUST NOT FAIR YOU GUYS"
Are you reading correctly? I guess not. I said I wasn't impressed with Letang against Boston and IN GENERAL I'm not. Wasn't impressed with him in other series either. Do you understand now?

mich25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:38 AM
Ruston*

With Tanger gone, who does Sherman target as Colorado's next No. 1 on the blueline?

Ruston* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:38 AM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
The article used 1 season as a comparison of the highest paid teams, didn't do a lot of analysis between money spent and success. Also, the team that won the Cup that year only spent 46%. Pittsburgh projects to spend closer to 52% next summer.

More importantly, many of the Cup winners had high end players still on entry level deals when they won their Cups.
Yup I think this is the key. You have to have entry level contracts that are big time players for you. And Pitt does not have that at all. That's the only reason I thought it wise to trade letang. Flyers fans are happy with this signing

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:39 AM
Toastman

Overpayment. Letang is average defensively, and always has been. Pittsburgh will be in cap hell soon.

Toastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:39 AM
WantEggRoll

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruston View Post
With Tanger gone, who does Sherman target as Colorado's next No. 1 on the blueline?
Who the heck is Sherman? That guy who is supposed to be the GM? I think the question is who does Roy/Sakic go after.

WantEggRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:40 AM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Are you reading correctly? I guess not. I said I wasn't impressed with Letang against Boston and IN GENERAL I'm not. Wasn't impressed with him in other series either. Do you understand now?
whatever. i assumed that most of what you have seen from Letang is in the Boston series (in which NONE of the Pens players outside of Vokoun and Cooke played well). in that case, the judgments Rowdy Roddy Peeper and i have made of your criticisms of Letang are accurate in a way.

Old
06-30-2013, 11:40 AM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
There are a number of 'truisms' here at HF that are completely untrue. This is the worst.

Here is an article from a while ago, although it is a little old now, the underlying point has been true every year and is true today. Let me spell it out in huge letters so maybe it will sink in for some of you.

IN THE SALARY CAP ERA THE MOST LIKELY WAY TO WIN IN THE NHL IS TO HAVE AROUND 50% OF YOUR CAP TIED UP IN 5 OR FEWER PLAYERS.

'The perception seems to be that a team can't commit such large chunks of money to so few players and still build a competitive team in the salary cap era. In reality, the opposite appears to be true. Successful teams in the NHL all have this in common: they have nearly half (or more than half) of their allotted salary cap space tied up in just five players.'

http://www.aolnews.com/2010/05/24/wi...over-quantity/
I don't think the Kings, Devils, Bruins or Blackhawks fit that mold. The Pens definitely do - they're the most extreme example in the league. Maybe regular season success is what your article refers to. Since you put it in all caps bolded red and said it in your usual petulant manner - I guess it must me true.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:41 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraLupin View Post
You will be lucky if the salary cap is 64 million next year, LOL. Where do you pull 70 million from??? You realize the cap is based off NHL revenue growth right?
There are these little things called Winter Classic's and a Stadium series next year. That alone will push revenue up. Then factor in the fact that it's a full season..

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:43 AM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedCreative View Post
OK so Mez goes there is almost all of G's raise.

OK you let Kimmo walk.

Who replaces those two in their respective roles?

Pronger is still now on LTIR and will be for the length of that contract and you are only 4 million under the cap. There is no actual savings on prongers hit.

You are saying a young kid like Schenn wont be getting a raise even if it is on a RFA deal!?! ha

You are also only hoping Couts get a small raise?!

That is a lot of hoping and wishing all while filling none of the wholes of guys you are letting walk coming off the books, and you still will need to sign another starter as Mason is only a one year deal, and yikes steve mason as your starter!?
Mez gave the Flyers nothing last season. There is really no production to replace.

Kimmo will be harder to replace. However his game has been slipping for a few years now. He really isn't a $6 million dman anymore. L. Schenn and Gustafsson continue to develop their games. Streit will likely replace Timonen as the primary puck mover on the team.

B Schenn's cap hit is just over 3 mill, however most of that is bonuses he'll never get. His actual salary is only 800k. A new contract with a cap hit of over 3 mill is already a big raise for him.

Couturier's cap hit is 1.375. Do you realistically see him getting huge raise from that? Even a break out season of him putting up 50-60 points, I would doubt he gets more much more than 3.5 a year.

Right now, the Flyers have over 25 million to spend next offseason (not counting Pronger and what the Cap goes up to next offseason) with 12 roster spots locked up. Homer may find a way to f that up, but atleast for now, the Flyers aren't in cap trouble.

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Wow. Boston fan here.... I wasn't impressed with him in the playoffs. Thought we was very over-rated. Seems like a lot of money to me. I think if someone is making 7.25 they have to be able to dominate. 7.25 to tie up in a over-rated defenseman when you have 2 superstar forwards is a lot of money. I think this one comes back to bite the Pens. Just my opinion.
How did Chara look against the Hawks?

Old and slow.

Just my opinion.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Dylonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
7.25 million for a guy who can't play defense?

so much for the new CBA keeping contracts under control
Except he can play defense. Trolls like you just don't comprehend that just because he's not elite defensively; that he somehow can't play defense.

News flash people; Letang plays defense just fine.

Dylonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Gustavo Fring
Analytics R4 nerds

As a non Pens fan this signing makes me happy. Would have been more upset had they traded him for some pieces that actually make them better. No sarcasm.

Gustavo Fring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:44 AM
ObsessedCreative
I hate Dan Bylsma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
Yup I think this is the key. You have to have entry level contracts that are big time players for you. And Pitt does not have that at all. That's the only reason I thought it wise to trade letang. Flyers fans are happy with this signing
WHAT!? bahahahahahah

F Bennett, Beau
D Despres, Simon
D Pouliot, Derrick
D Dumoulin, Brian
D Harrington, Scott
D Maatta, Olli

Yeahhhhhh ok sure, pal!

ObsessedCreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:45 AM
Toastman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylonus View Post
Except he can play defense. Trolls like you just don't comprehend that just because he's not elite defensively; that he somehow can't play defense.

News flash people; Letang plays defense just fine.
NO he doesn't.

Toastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:45 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post

I do not have time now, I am running out to meet people, but I have looked before and the numbers have held true over the years. There are exceptions of course, but overall teams that make the playoffs have a top five that eats up a large portion of their cap, especially teams that do well in the playoffs.

Old
06-30-2013, 11:47 AM
Hershey Hockey
#AskNeal

Quote:
There is a difference. Letang is a good defensive player most of the time though subject to boneheaded plays now and then. Like I said Malkin is similar as a forward, some amazing defensive skills, but then he does something really dumb. Just like with Malkin, you take it with Letang because of what he brings all around.
I see what you're saying. I think I interpreted your previous post as saying he makes those kinds of mistakes constantly which wasn't actually what you meant.

Hershey Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote