HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sean Couturier's Wingers

Old
06-30-2013, 12:34 AM
Broad Street Elite

vCash: 500
I'm not so fast to rush Couturier into the top 6. I want guys to earn their PT and while Couturier looks phenomenal (top 10-20 forwards in the NHL) defensively, he looked lost a lot of last season offensively.

I would much rather give him a couple competent wingers (Read +) on the 3rd line, then let him push for more PT and a higher assignment through quality of play.

We tried to force Schenn to Giroux's wing to start the season and that hurt G and Schenn a like. I want to see Couturier develop offensively as much as anyone else and believe that the best way to do it is to free him from having to take ALL of the toughest defensive assignments through acquisition of a strong defensive number 4C. McClemont was my number 1 offseason target last season and would be tremendously happy to see Laughton come in and be able to take some of those tougher minutes as well on the 4th line.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 06:45 AM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
I'm not so fast to rush Couturier into the top 6. I want guys to earn their PT and while Couturier looks phenomenal (top 10-20 forwards in the NHL) defensively, he looked lost a lot of last season offensively.

I would much rather give him a couple competent wingers (Read +) on the 3rd line, then let him push for more PT and a higher assignment through quality of play.

We tried to force Schenn to Giroux's wing to start the season and that hurt G and Schenn a like. I want to see Couturier develop offensively as much as anyone else and believe that the best way to do it is to free him from having to take ALL of the toughest defensive assignments through acquisition of a strong defensive number 4C. McClemont was my number 1 offseason target last season and would be tremendously happy to see Laughton come in and be able to take some of those tougher minutes as well on the 4th line.
I would rather re-sign Hall to a 1 year deal and let Laughton have 1 more year in the OHL or AHL. I would rather we keep our young prospects developing more before we bring them up instead of having them here in a defensive role. As good as Couts has been for us, I would rather a Huberdeau-like debut than a Couts-like one.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 07:01 AM
Flyotes
JVR is Pigeon Caw!

Not sure Laughton has much more to prove in the OHL tier. AHL would be better of the two if he stayed down.

Flyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 12:12 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
I would rather re-sign Hall to a 1 year deal and let Laughton have 1 more year in the OHL or AHL. I would rather we keep our young prospects developing more before we bring them up instead of having them here in a defensive role. As good as Couts has been for us, I would rather a Huberdeau-like debut than a Couts-like one.
As in anything, I believe "You keep what you kill". That is to say, if Laughton earns the job in camp, it's his. If not, he's back down. Pretty simple. Make the guys compete versus deciding arbitrarily where they fit.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 12:13 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
Not sure Laughton has much more to prove in the OHL tier. AHL would be better of the two if he stayed down.
Leighton will either be the 3rd line center, 3rd line winger, or 4th line center this year. He will be in the NHL.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 12:20 PM
Coppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Leighton will either be the 3rd line center, 3rd line winger, or 4th line center this year. He will be in the NHL.
He can't possibly be worse as a forward than he is as a goalie.

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 12:23 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
He can't possibly be worse as a forward than he is as a goalie.
LAUGHTON damnit!

I'm hopped up on red bull, and I have some whiskey waiting in the wings. It's going to be a panicky typo kind of day.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote