HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

MLD 2013 Thread I

Old
06-30-2013, 11:25 AM
Rob Scuderi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
Note: tried adding an image but it didn't work, any ideas?
You have url tags around the image which is giving you the trouble. Delete them and it should work.

Last edited by Rob Scuderi: 06-30-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Rob Scuderi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:32 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Scuderi View Post
You have url tags around the image which is giving you the trouble. Delete them and it should work.
I went into the edit and removed them then repsoted and the URL tags keep coming back.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 12:12 PM
Rob Scuderi

Quote:
I went into the edit and removed them then repsoted and the URL tags keep coming back.
Weird, I just copied it into my post and it did the same thing. Might just be the particular picture.

Old
06-30-2013, 12:41 PM
tony d
The man

The Maine Mariners are proud to select with our 1st pick #8 overall in the 2013 MLD defenseman, Jay Bouwmeester.

A 2-time all star Bouwmeester has 307 points in 764 career games.

Next has been pmed.

People got to learn how to use punctuation. On our radio ads the other day a black man's wallet was reported as missing. Instead of a man's wallet black in colour missing a black man's wallet is missing.
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 12:50 PM
seventieslord

Great start for Hardyvan. I know he thinks modern players are better, so this was predictable, but if he was a good MLD #4 last year and added yet another season as a top-6 blueliner in the NHL and a good long playoff run... he is now an MLD #1.

I looked forward to selecting him myself.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 01:23 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Great start for Hardyvan. I know he thinks modern players are better, so this was predictable, but if he was a good MLD #4 last year and added yet another season as a top-6 blueliner in the NHL and a good long playoff run... he is now an MLD #1.

I looked forward to selecting him myself.
I'm aware of the possible pitfalls of the modern player but Doughty's 5 year peak, his career so far, was just too good to pass up.

Plus I'm still working on my lists, which will be really hard as I'm trying to watch the draft and move my daughter into her new apartment later tonight and tomorrow.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 02:05 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
I'm aware of the possible pitfalls of the modern player but Doughty's 5 year peak, his career so far, was just too good to pass up.

Plus I'm still working on my lists, which will be really hard as I'm trying to watch the draft and move my daughter into her new apartment later tonight and tomorrow.
I was leaning towards him with one of my back-to-backers.

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 02:18 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
The Maine Mariners are proud to select with our 1st pick #8 overall in the 2013 MLD defenseman, Jay Bouwmeester.

A 2-time all star Bouwmeester has 307 points in 764 career games.

Next has been pmed.
Dang. Good pick as well. Seems like he's finally being appreciated this season (not by us, by the mainstream) for being the same player he's been for almost a decade.

Old
06-30-2013, 03:38 PM
Hawkman
A Man and The Blues

I'm going to be afk and don't want to hold things up so I'm pming our top 2 choices (we have the 2nd pick afteer VI) to seventieslord ; TheDevilMadeMe ; vecens24.

06-30-2013, 06:23 PM
VanIslander
Hockey in the blood.

Cornell selects goaltender Roger Crozier, the 1965 NHL 1st team all-star, finishing 4th in Hart voting, following that up the next season with a spectacular playoffs on a hurt ankle, taking home the 1966 Conn Smythe trophy rather than the Stanley Cup, the first goalie to be MVP and the first playing for the losing team. The following, third year in Detroit, the acrobatic netminder finished 2nd in NHL wins and shutouts. He struggled for a few years thereafter, getting ulcers with his infamous lack of self-confidence. He then began to turn things around and had a half-decent season in 1969-70, finishing with only 6 losses in 34 starts, 7th in league goals against average. The following year he went to expansion Buffalo and immediately strung together another three-year stint of quality play, facing a lot of rubber and respected for helping make the Sabres immediately competitive. His role after that diminished, though he played in and won "the Fog Bowl", the third game of the Stanley Cup Finals against Philly in 1975. He retired after having played 518 NHL games over 14 seasons, half of them of historical significance. He had hall-of-fame type skill but he also had a stress disorder, making himself his worst enemy after his early 3-year peak success increased expectations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Abel, the Red Wing coach
"... has the fastest hands of any goalie I've ever seen,... and he is the quickest to get back on his feet after a fall."
Quote:
Originally Posted by legendsofhockey.net
Born in Bracebridge, Ontario on March 16 1942 goaltender Roger Crozier made his NHL debut when Detroit Red Wings star netminder Terry Sawchuk was felled by injury. Crozier played the last 15 games of the season for Detroit and impressed the brass enough that exposed Sawchuk in the waiver draft. When Sawchuk was claimed by the Maple Leafs, Crozier was handed the starting job.

Crozier put together an incredible rookie season, playing 70 games while winning a league-leading 40 of them as well as leading the NHL in shutouts with six. Crozier was named to the First All-Star Team as well as being anointed the leagues top rookie. Crozier, who suffered from pancreaitis missed the beginning of the 1965-66 season, but when he returned he was able to deliver a worthy encore to his solid rookie campaign. Again Crozier led the league in games played and shutouts and his solid play led the Wings to the 1966 Stanley Cup Finals. Though they fell to the Montreal Canadiens, Crozier was named the playoff MVP in defeat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Pelletier
Unlike a lot of goaltenders Crozier never had great self esteem., especially after Detroit waived the great Terry Sawchuk. "Detroit have had such great goalies - Sawchuk, Glenn Hall and Harry Lumley. Now they're stuck with a little runt like me,'' he said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports Illustrated, Nov 23, 1964
Before the current National Hockey League season began, Goalie Jacques Plante, a positive man and a six-time Vezina Trophy winner who has recently fallen on hard times, announced that young Roger Crozier would never make it as a goalie in the big time. But last week—as Plante himself struggled to hang on to his temporary job in the Ranger nets—young Crozier, the first-string goalie of the first-place Red Wings, seemed well on the way to winning a Vezina Trophy of his own. After 14 games of his first regular season, Crozier had the best goal-stopping average of any goalie in the NHL and the most shutouts. His play, along with that of the incomparable Forward Gordie Howe and iron Defenseman Doug Barkley, was the principal reason why Detroit was on top of the heap. In most preseason forecasts, the Wings had been assigned fourth place. "I'm glad we got off to such a good start," was all the still far-from-confident young goalie could say about all this last week. "If we hadn't, everybody would be on my back."

Actually, one look at pale, self-conscious Roger Crozier when he is not in the nets would convince almost anybody that Plante was right. He is small and wispy, filled with doubts about his ability, and he even has an ulcer. He is the despair of coaches who try in vain to cure him of the habit of flopping and falling all over the ice, often in attempts to stop shots that would probably never reach the goal anyway. King Clancy, a one-time defenseman who is now assistant general manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs, calls Crozier "nothing but a Singer's Midget on the ice." Roger himself, at 22 the youngest as well as the most effective goalie in the league, ponders all these criticisms with care. "I want to find out who my friends are," he says, his eyes seeming almost to brim with tears. "People are sitting around, waiting for the big collapse. They're waiting to say, I told you so.' "

But not everyone is waiting. Sid Abel, the Red Wing coach who got Crozier almost by accident, is thoroughly pleased with his man. " Crozier has the fastest hands of any goalie I've ever seen," says Abel, "and he is the quickest to get back on his feet after a fall." Moreover, says Abel, "Roger has the kind of personality that delights everyone." A superstitious youngster who hates to fly in planes and always starts dressing on the left side to ward off any evil spirits that might be lurking, Crozier recently delighted his teammates after practice in the Montreal Forum by leaping on sturdy Gordie Howe's neck and riding him around the arena like a jockey.

The accident that brought Crozier to the Red Wings was a hothead named Howie Young (SI, Nov. 12, 1962), a defenseman of such spectacular talents and belligerence that he cost the Red Wings far more in penalty time than he ever returned in goals. The Wings were so anxious to get rid of Howie after the season that they were willing to take almost anyone in trade. And when Chicago's Black Hawks offered up rookie Defenseman Ron Ingram with a goalie named Crozier tossed in, the Wings jumped at the deal. Ingram was promptly put in the Red Wing lineup and Crozier, an unsung member of Chicago's most minor minor-league farm team, was shipped off to Detroit's own minor league team in Pittsburgh. It was a positive surprise to the Red Wing brass when Crozier, called up to replace injured Terry Sawchuk in the Detroit nets, turned in a reasonably creditable performance. But then, as everyone knows, a defense always tightens up in front of a substitute goalie, so his success really did not prove much.

After the regular season was over, Crozier was called up again to stand in for Sawchuk in three Stanley Cup games. It was a rough time because he was tending Pittsburgh's nets in the American League's own Calder Cup playoffs and commuting back and forth between Chicago, Detroit, Pittsburgh and Quebec to do it. But even frazzled by fatigue and the nervous strain of air travel, he did well enough to convince Coach Abel that he could, if necessary, be the team's regular goalie. It was this reassurance that persuaded the Red Wing officials to leave Sawchuk unprotected in the draft. When Punch Imlach of the Maple Leafs, who has never let a first-class hockey player linger unprotected for long, grabbed Sawchuk as relief man for aged Johnny Bower, the Wings were left with Crozier, like him or not.

Like most professional goalies, Crozier learned his trade early in life. Born in the little Canadian town of Bracebridge, about 100 miles north of Toronto, he was first shoved into the mouth of a hockey goal when he was 6, largely because he was too small to lodge an effective protest, but he grew to like it. A decade later, when he played for St. Catharine's, he was selected the All-Star Goalie for three straight years. When he was 17, he developed his ulcer.

"I used to worry a lot," he explains. "I worried about pucks going past me into the net, and I worried about having a bad night. There was a time when I had to be careful about everything I ate, but things are better now."

Not every goalie has an ulcer, but they all have scars, and Roger is no exception. He has suffered two broken jawbones, had part of a front tooth knocked out by an errant hockey stick and sustained a shattered cheek. That was in his very first major league game when he was hit by a puck rifling off the stick of Frank Mahovlich, one of the fastest shooters in hockey. Crozier got himself patched up in the dressing room and finished the game wearing a mask. Afterward he flew back to Detroit where he found out—in the hospital—that his cheekbone was mashed like chicken fricassee. Roger Crozier is a first-class worrier, but he does not worry much about things like shattered cheekbones. He worries about public opinion, about screened corner shots and about the Montreal Canadiens, who slipped an unbelievable nine goals past him in a single game last season. Last week, the Montrealers beat him to another four goals and tied up the league lead temporarily, but even in defeat edgy Roger put on such a magnificent display of swan dives, lunges, lurches, kicks and one-hand catches in stopping some 25 other Canadien shots that rival Coach Toe Blake went out of his way to offer congratulations. No one, said Toe, could have stopped the four goals that went in, and that made Roger feel better—for the moment anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabreslegends.com
In their first year in the National Hockey League, Roger Crozier, perhaps more than any other player, gave the Buffalo Sabres instant credibility. An aging veteran with a laundry list of injuries and ailments, Crozier was often out of the lineup, unable to play during his tenure in Buffalo. When he was healthy, Crozier was a force to be reconed with. An acrobatic goalie who challenged shooters with reckless abandon, Crozier's experience and veteran poise gave the Sabres a chance to win any time he was between the pipes. That's saying a lot when you consider the lackluster Sabres defense in the first couple of years of the team's existence. Crozier often faced between 40 and 50 shots against a game during the team's first two years in the NHL. Still, despite all the illness and adversity he faced while with the Sabres, the young team was competitive from the start, thanks in large part to the contributions of Roger Crozier.

Crozier was the starting goaltender for the Sabres' first ever NHL game on October 10, 1970 in Pittsburgh against the Penguins. Crozier turned aside 35 of Pittsburgh's 36 shots as the Sabres earned their first NHL win by a score of 2-1. The 35 save effort was actually an easy night for Crozier during that first season. Four nights later, Crozier would face 53 shots on net as the Sabres were shut out by the powerful Montreal Canadiens 3-0 in their home opener. 21 of those shots came in the second period alone. On November 18, 1970, Crozier made 40 saves on 42 shots as the Sabres invaded the Maple Leaf Gardens, beating Imlach's former club by a score of 7-2.

Despite the constant pressure of facing so many shots a night, Crozier played extremely well, keeping the Sabres close in most of their games. He registered the first shut out in Sabres history on December 6, 1970 as the Sabres blanked the Minnesota North Stars 1-0 at the Aud in Buffalo.

By late December, 1970, the pressure of being the Sabres' number one goaltender took it's toll, and Crozier was out of the lineup, suffering from sheer exhaustion. Daley and Dryden carried the load for much of the rest of the season, with Crozier playing only sparingly. He finished the season with a 3.69 GAA in 44 games played, winning 9, losing 20 with 7 ties.

Crozier fared a little better health-wise during the 1971-72 season. He competed in 63 of Buffalo's 78 games, posting a 3.51 GAA and 2 shutouts. Though the Sabres finished the year with the worst win-loss record in the league, Crozier's play couldn't be faulted for it. Crozier faced 2,190 shots against during the 1971-72 season, which is still the team's record for shots faced by a goaltender in a single season. At the end of the season, his teammates voted Crozier their Most Valuable Player, and he was presented with the Wayne Larkin Memorial Trophy. He also won the team's "Star of Stars" Trophy, for the most three stars selections during the season.

1971-72 would be Crozier's last full season as a starting goaltender in the NHL. Illnesses and injuries limited Crozier's playing time for the rest of his career. In addition to the pancreatitis he had been suffering from since the late 60's, ulcers and gall bladder problems conspired to keep Crozier in almost constant pain.

Last edited by VanIslander: 06-30-2013 at 06:34 PM.
VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 06:54 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as GMM picks Ulf Nilsson, C

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 06:56 PM
tony d
The man

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
The artist formerly known as GMM picks Ulf Nilsson, C
Nilsson went in the ATD.

Old
06-30-2013, 06:57 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Nilsson went in the ATD.
Oops. I'm just the messenger. Next on their list is Zach Parise, LW

Old
06-30-2013, 06:59 PM
tony d
The man

Quote:
Oops. I'm just the messenger. Next on their list is Zach Parise, LW
Parise's gone as well.

Old
06-30-2013, 07:38 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Parise's gone as well.
Haha, nice

Old
06-30-2013, 07:48 PM
seventieslord

Wow, crozier was available? First time in the mld! I'd have certainly been interested.

Old
06-30-2013, 07:56 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Parise's gone as well.
Heh, I thought I remembered him being used as a 4th liner.

Unfortunately, he only left a 2 name list

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Wow, crozier was available? First time in the mld! I'd have certainly been interested.
He probably deserved to fall. He's probably a 60-70 goalie all-time, but his Conn Smythe is useless for an ATD backup, who would just be playing in the regular season

Old
06-30-2013, 08:08 PM
VanIslander
Hockey in the blood.

Quote:
He probably deserved to fall. He's probably a 60-70 goalie all-time,...
He's the 68th goalie drafted this year.

In the HOH Top-40 goalies project, several have him ranked in the 50's.

He certainly is a quality all-time great when he's on his game, but in real need of a quality backup for those parts of his career when his game was off.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 08:15 PM
Rob Scuderi

St. Louis will take C, Marc Savard

Old
06-30-2013, 09:00 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Scuderi View Post
St. Louis will take C, Marc Savard
Savard is probably the best offensive center in this draft, or at least I had him ranked in that spot.

Old
06-30-2013, 09:14 PM
Rob Scuderi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
Savard is probably the best offensive center in this draft, or at least I had him ranked in that spot.
I ran 7 year vsX scores for eligible guys and Savard's 75.08 was the highest I found. He and Jordan were my favorite centers if you just wanted offense.

Old
06-30-2013, 09:18 PM
Dreakmur

We'll take a player who has arguably been one of the best 5 centers in the NHL for the last 3 seasons. He may not be one of the most prolific scorers, but his well-rounded game is among the elite.

He has led his team in scoring every year since his sophomore season in 2008. He has led his team's forwards in ice time every season, including his rookie seasons, since 2007. He has been a big part of both the PP and PK since entering the league.

Anze Kopitar !!!

Offensive Percentages:
78(2012), 74(2010), 74(2011), 74(2013), 73(2008), 60(2009), 54(2007)

Selke voting:
4th(2013), 9th(2011), 9th(2012)

Old
06-30-2013, 09:25 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 844
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
We'll take a player who has arguably been one of the best 5 centers in the NHL for the last 3 seasons. He may not be one of the most prolific scorers, but his well-rounded game is among the elite.

He has led his team in scoring every year since his sophomore season in 2008. He has led his team's forwards in ice time every season, including his rookie seasons, since 2007. He has been a big part of both the PP and PK since entering the league.

Anze Kopitar !!!

Offensive Percentages:
78(2012), 74(2010), 74(2011), 74(2013), 73(2008), 60(2009), 54(2007)

Selke voting:
4th(2013), 9th(2011), 9th(2012)

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:27 PM
Dreakmur

We'll also take a guy who will ensure we have a very strong transition from our defensive zone to the offensive zone. He may not be the best defenseman in this draft, though he arguably is, but he is definitely the best puck-mover at this level.

He isn't tough, and isn't very good defensively, but the consistent level at which he contributed to the offense makes him a very good start to our team.

Tomas Kaberle!!!

Offensive Percentages:
94(2006), 87(2007), 83(2010), 82(2008), 76(2001*), 76(2011), 70(2003), 66(2002), 65(2000), 58(2011), 57(2004), 48(2009)

Norris Voting:
11th(2003), 13th(2006), 17th(2007), 1 vote(2008)

Old
06-30-2013, 09:27 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
He's the 68th goalie drafted this year.

In the HOH Top-40 goalies project, several have him ranked in the 50's.

He certainly is a quality all-time great when he's on his game, but in real need of a quality backup for those parts of his career when his game was off.
68th goalie drafted, eh? That means 3 teams drafted 3 goalies in the ATD this time?