HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Flyers waive Nedved, Dimatrakos and Baumgartner

Old
10-18-2006, 03:24 PM
DutchShamrock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
I'd pick Nedved up. This way we would have gotten a legit 2C. The only problem is he shoots left. That is not what Shanahan needs.
Nedved didn't hack it as Philly's 4th line center. Why would he be legit as our 2nd?

I never realized Shanahan can't excel with a left handed center. It's amazing he managed to score 600 goals in a league dominated by lefties.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 03:29 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
I have a question for you: who's going to end up shouldering the blame for this bad start if it continues after these guys getting waived, Hitch or Clarke?

Related, but slightly different, question: which one of them will get fired?
Hitch. Teflon Bob always comes out on top. Clarke will come out with some press conference about how just about this same roster made the playoffs the year before and they even upgraded since then. We can bash Clarke all day if we want, but it's been a long time since he's missed the playoffs and he has gotten very far in many of them. Unbelievable at the draft table. The thing that gets me is how is he so far behind the learning curve with guys like Nedved and Baumgartner? Lou even did the trial run for these types of moves last summer.

Old
10-18-2006, 03:35 PM
robertch

Dont't underestimate what Malik and Rosival mean to this team. Malik has a lot of character and seems to be well liked in the locker room. Both of these guys were brought in on Jagr's input, and I think contribute more than meets the eye to the character of this team. Not saying that Jagr should be calling the shots, just that comraderie among teammates is one of the things that make this squad special, and shouldn't be ignored.

For some reason I've always liked Nedved, but he's of no use to us now. He's been grossly misused by Hitchcock in Philly as a PKer and defensive forward, roles seemingly antithetical to his experience and style.

robertch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 03:38 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Quote:
I'd pick Nedved up. This way we would have gotten a legit 2C. The only problem is he shoots left. That is not what Shanahan needs.
thats about the craziest thing ive ever heard

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 03:39 PM
TheRedressor

I really thought we would be able to get thru the thread without some crazy idealist notion of bring Petr Nedved back to this team.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 03:44 PM
Fletch

If the supposition..

on Shanny is because he was a left winger, perhaps now that he's a right winger he'd be better with a left handed centerman. But truth be told, I believe Shanny played very well with Craig Janney with the Blues (although he may've been on the right side with Hull on the left side).

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 03:52 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
some of the replies in this thread is just so telling of certain posters..

flyers are too soft?.. if they didn't emphasize so much on size and grit they would probably be much better

sather doing what clark does?.. he's the last guy i'd want our gm to ever emulate
Dude...you must be kidding? Have you not seen the Flyers readjust their gameplan? They don't have one big hitter, or big fighter, or real physical force like they've had in years past...so explain what you mean

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 03:52 PM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 9800
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
Better yet what if they just got Xbox 360.

Seriously though these trade proposals of 5 players being moved from each side are getting ridiculous.

You don't waive guys who are making 2 million plus, just because theyve had a few bad games. You may TRADE them but not waive them. (Rozsival, Malik)

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 03:53 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo View Post
No, this is long overdue. Dimitrakos and Baumgartener maybe, maybe not, but they are both minor players that are on the bubble. Nedved though has been poo ever since we acquired him.

The Flyers are an extremely soft team right now. Anyone who thinks they are still the Broad St Bullies doesnt watch them on a regular basis. That reputation was built in the 70's. This team has been getting soft for some time, and havent been thr tough guys everyne thinks they are for at least four, maybe five seasons.
Some of these Ranger fans just don't know the difference anymore. Clearly they've lost their grit, but I've got guys telling me that if they weren't so gritty they'd be better. Funny

Old
10-18-2006, 03:57 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
I really thought we would be able to get thru the thread without some crazy idealist notion of bring Petr Nedved back to this team.

Looks like someone had their cornflakes pissed on this morning.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 04:10 PM
eco's bones

Baumgartner has been a borderline player for some time. Kind of a Joel Bouchard. Dimitrakos more of a 4th liner it seems than a 3rd. As for Nedved unless he can contribute to your offense he's not worth the trouble. He's not exactly young either. Nothing there is a big surprise to me. I'm just wondering what they're going to replace them with. As for putting Roszival, Malik and Rachunek on waivers all at once--one wonders who we would replace them with. Ozolinsh? Baranka might be one and I would have liked to see him make the team but I expect he'd be having his problems off and on too. It's not realistic to put them on waivers as I suspect you'd find interest for all three on them on the market. Malik has this year and next year as does Roszival so they're not long term. Anyway our start this season may not be as great as some would have hoped but it's way too early to be making those kinds of adjustments.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 04:10 PM
Ranger35
Proud of NYR

Send a message via AIM to Ranger35
Quote:
Couldn't agree more, we've had him once, stupidly enough traded for him a second time. You think at some point you learn your lesson...

Ranger35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 04:47 PM
Ola

Quote:
Nedved plays a style that had success in the 1980's. He just don't get the job done, he is good in certain aspects, but his line constantly get trapped in their own end because Nedved don't cut it in the transition game.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 05:39 PM
SML

What cracks me up is that Philly was using Nedved as a "shutdown" center. Please. Some guys have it in them to reinvent their game, like Bobby Carpenter or Kirk Muller. Some guys don't. Nedved didn't show much interest in his own zone when he was a legit top 6 forward, and they expect him to magically be committed to defensive play and backchecking overnight? Don't be surprised if this is part of another deal ala Sather's circumvention of Quintal's no trade clause. No team is going to pay Nedved his full hit, but alot may look if he's half that. Flyers can't trade money or pick up the tab UNLESS he's picked up on waivers. Then a smaller piece could be moved to that team in exchange for futures or whatever. They are not going to pay the guy that much loot to play for the Phantoms.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 06:00 PM
Geogaddi

This is def Clarke showing the flyers that no ones spot is safe in Philly. The Flyers seem to be one of the slowest teams in the league right now, and its def showing. This Shows why he was going after Kesler as a RFA or Gionta. If Philly isnt on its way to a winning season in January, look for some Durastic moves by Clarke and company. Another Rebuild in the Atlantic?

Geogaddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 06:43 PM
The Amity Affliction
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
some of the replies in this thread is just so telling of certain posters..

flyers are too soft?.. if they didn't emphasize so much on size and grit they would probably be much better

sather doing what clark does?.. he's the last guy i'd want our gm to ever emulate
They're too slow up front to be physical, that's why they're percieved as soft. They're not gritty or physical, but they're not kleenex soft either.

Quote:
Are you serious?????? You would take Nedved, he was a cancer in this lockeroom and was a HUGE reason we didn't make the playoffs in 2001-2002. He is and always has been a bum and that is why Messier got rid of him his first time with the Rangers.
Chief, don't bother dude. Some people just weren't around to know what happened in Nedved's first stint with us...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
a legit #2 for years - I'd take Cullen over him any day.

In the only two games I've seen the Flyers they talked a lot about how great Nedved was doing defensively. I didn't see it, but the announcers are pros and know what they're talking about, right?

This doesn't seem like a panic move. Waiving Nedved is just a smart move - it could save them a couple mil $$$.

And I agree with those who say the Flyers aren't soft - they're not.
The Flyers are a lot softer than they've been in recent years... that's what happens when you lose Primeau, Brashear, Ragnarsson, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
Nedved didn't hack it as Philly's 4th line center. Why would he be legit as our 2nd?

I never realized Shanahan can't excel with a left handed center. It's amazing he managed to score 600 goals in a league dominated by lefties.
This post summerizes why he couldn't hack it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertch
For some reason I've always liked Nedved, but he's of no use to us now. He's been grossly misused by Hitchcock in Philly as a PKer and defensive forward, roles seemingly antithetical to his experience and style.
As for the lefty bs...

Yeah, he didn't score some of his 600 goals playing with Janney & Fedorov who both lefties... No back to back 50 goal season for Shanny with Janney as his center... no 40 goal seasons with Fedorov as his center.

Whoever said that needs to do his homework.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
What cracks me up is that Philly was using Nedved as a "shutdown" center. Please. Some guys have it in them to reinvent their game, like Bobby Carpenter or Kirk Muller. Some guys don't. Nedved didn't show much interest in his own zone when he was a legit top 6 forward, and they expect him to magically be committed to defensive play and backchecking overnight? Don't be surprised if this is part of another deal ala Sather's circumvention of Quintal's no trade clause. No team is going to pay Nedved his full hit, but alot may look if he's half that. Flyers can't trade money or pick up the tab UNLESS he's picked up on waivers. Then a smaller piece could be moved to that team in exchange for futures or whatever. They are not going to pay the guy that much loot to play for the Phantoms.
Muller didn't need to reinvent his game... he was always a great two-way center. Carpenter was the same way, but wasn't as good offensively.

Let Clarke deal with that waste of space... this one's going to be interesting.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 06:47 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
I have to agree with TBBB on this one. The Flyers just aren't a big, mean team likke they used to be. There's a lot of skill on that team, but they're not intimidating anymore. Thugh he certainly is (was) able to throw a crushing check, you don't want Peter Forsberg to be the best hitter on your team.

The "new" NHL still requires the right balance between grit and skill and especially speed. The balance has changed, though, and now it rewards 'feisty' teams (Buffalo, 'Canes, Preds). That's what the Flyers really need: that never-say-die attitude up and down the lineup.

As for Nedved, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the worse teams out west which need secondary scoring would take a chance on him. I'm actually kinda surprised that Clarke doesn't mind paying half his salary. He might help the Capitals out, too.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 06:58 PM
shoothepuck

Clarks making a statement, but he's the one that made the bonehead trades, and hasn't learned that the new NHL has speed.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 07:40 PM
DutchShamrock

Again, the Flyers may or may not be softer, but it is completely irrelevant. Their problem is that they are slow. Afinigenov is one of the softest players in the league and he destroyed the Flyers for 5 points with his speed and skill. So it's not like Brashear or Primeau would have made a huge difference with their checks and punches... no one on that team could get within a stick's distance of Maxim let alone an arm or a shoulder. Another largly overlooked factor is that Buffalo plays like a team. They looked like they have been together for 10 years, everyone knows where the other is. One of the finest performances by one team in a very long time.

Old
10-19-2006, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue View Post
Dude...you must be kidding? Have you not seen the Flyers readjust their gameplan? They don't have one big hitter, or big fighter, or real physical force like they've had in years past...so explain what you mean
Denis Gauthier is still a Flyer, isn't he?

28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 02:25 PM
94now

Quote:
Are you serious?????? You would take Nedved, he was a cancer in this lockeroom and was a HUGE reason we didn't make the playoffs in 2001-2002. He is and always has been a bum and that is why Messier got rid of him his first time with the Rangers.
That was personal thing that had nothing to do with Nedved as a player. Mess needed to establish himself plus he had that love affair with Russians while couldn't stand Czechs. I do think that his favorite Nemchinov, Zubov and Kovy were excellent Rangers and are my favorite as well, but it also true that Nedved was and still is a fine player. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Nedved was the best player on the team (very bad team indeed) in his last tenure here.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 05:17 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28 View Post
Denis Gauthier is still a Flyer, isn't he?
True, but he hasn't done much this year

Old
10-19-2006, 05:25 PM
Broad st phantom

meh im glad these 3 are with the phantoms. after tonights game will pretty much let you know w t f is gonna happen this season with philly.

Broad st phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 09:33 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

The people who say Rozy, Harry & Ozo are not that good would be the same one's who would be amazed that they were picked up if we put them on waivers. Over the course of the history of the NHL there have many excellent / good defenders who were finesse players. The key is to find the happy medium. All players struggle. Like someone else say put down the PS2 before you shoot your eyes out.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote