HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"The Only Card I Need" - 2013 NHL Entry Draft

Old
06-30-2013, 03:18 PM
thecloser

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredaDORES View Post
Let's package something around Ellis for Seguin.
This! ASAP!

thecloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 03:18 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Preds View Post
I'm sure it's the former. Did you hear his interview? He wanted to make the doubters pay. And I'm sure that the MacKinnon gloating about going #1 really pissed him off more.

All pro athletes are competitive, and the best are competitive about everything. Not going #1 stung, has nothing to do with us. Honestly I'm glad to see that attitude. Shows what kind of competitor he is.
agree hes fine with nashville but was chapped at falling to 4

once he has had time to digest this jones will realize he got very lucky to wind up here where he can develop and not have to be the man from the get go

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 03:21 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24

Good video on Jones. Doesn't seem to show much outward emotion which would explain not a lot of smiling. I really don't think he's mad about being drafted by Nashville other than the fact that he thought he should've gone higher, which isn't a bad thing at all.

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 03:21 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Shout out to the Whale. Thanks Pierre

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 03:24 PM
Buffalo Preds

I'm chapped that he didn't go higher too. But that doesn't make him any less badass of a d-man. And if we can get our PP running better with him, it'll partly compensate for our two-stroke full-strength offense.

Buffalo Preds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 03:26 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
agree hes fine with nashville but was chapped at falling to 4

once he has had time to digest this jones will realize he got very lucky to wind up here where he can develop and not have to be the man from the get go
Agreed-- Jones can develop without being 'the man' with such a structured defense around him (barring trades). Weber will be able to mentor him tremendously. I think a lot of the emotion we see has to do with falling to #4 as opposed to being selected by the Preds. A D-man going to a D oriented club? He will quickly realize how fortunate he is. Imagine being in Florida or TB where defense is an afterthought!

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 03:27 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
why? hes now primed to be just what we need... pp qb who will only have limited ES minutes
He is too small to be a regular player. He is a speciality player not a special player. The pick was a mistake. Cut losses and move on. You now have jones, weber, and Josi. Put a forward on the PP or get another D man to replace gill. Ellis no longer has a place on this team and won't be as good as Jones or Josi as a PP QB

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 03:28 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Jones has every right to be upset he fell. He'll wake up tmrw and realize he's getting the best road to the NHL paved for him by being paired with Shea Weber right off the bat.

Cant believe Barkov went 2nd overall still.

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 03:28 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Maybe we'll see Jay-Z at some Preds games now.

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 03:30 PM
Teekko

hope we could trade for a 1st and draft Shinkaruk

Teekko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 03:32 PM
BourqueBourqueBork

We took the best available player, which is absolutely what we should have done.

Yes, we need offense. Arguably much more than defense.

However, consider that our defense was a mess this season. Outside of Weber/Josi, we couldn't find any consistency. Our prospects didn't step up as much as we needed them to, Hannon proved to be a flop of a pickup, and Gill has aged to the point where he can only provide a limited role.

This pick, along with the recent contracts with Weber, Josi, and Klein, makes our top 4 D incredibly solid. That should (hopefully) take a lot of pressure off of the bottom pair.

Personally, I would've preferred to have Barkov. I think that would've been the best fit for our needs. However, to say that the D wasn't an area that needed addressing is flat out wrong...and with a single pick, Seth Jones probably fixes the D more than Barkov (or anyone) could fix the O. The D play more minutes.

We obviously still need to address offense...but we should also remind ourselves that this season's offense wasn't the 'normal' offense. Certain players didn't click right off. Others did (like Colin Wilson)...but then we had a wave of injuries (Wilson and Hornqvist, notably). Yes...we're a long way from being an offensive juggernaut...but with a healthy team, we're probably not far away from having an adequate offense....and an adequate offense with dynamite defense and goaltending (think NJ Devils cup years) will serve us just fine.

I would be very interested in pursuing Vinny Lecavalier. I doubt he would add what Paul Kariya did for us...but he could certainly be the type of spark we need.

BourqueBourqueBork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 03:32 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Haaa, Peg. Awful pick

Old
06-30-2013, 03:33 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I will say this, I hate that we went defense again, but then they show all these offensive players teams that keep drafting high, like Colorado and Florida, have and I remember that we make the playoffs more than we miss.
Yes and no.

Chicago and Pittsburgh have done a wee bit better drafting offensive players high in the draft.

At the end of the day, it comes down to more than just the players- even with the massive role they play.

After 15 years, the next time that the current brain trust utilizes this same strategy to reach the conference finals will be the first time.

Seth Jones was a great pick as the fourth player taken. He was not a great pick for the Nashville Predators if the desired goal was to move away from "too much of the same type of player".

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 03:33 PM
Nothing Is New

'Peg Board pretty unhappy about Morrisey.

Nothing Is New is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 03:34 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

vCash: 1225
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKiwi View Post
We still have Forsberg, Wilson was comming to his own, Hard working Bourque can score a few. I think we'll be fine for scoring.

I'm happy with Jones, we have our defense set and now we can sign some free agents
Lost Erat and SK is most likely gone as well; to say our offense will be above average next year is optimistic at best in my opinion. I don't think that's the end of the world though and we may be a contender just by the strength of our backend.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 03:36 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
"I’ll try to make, in a good way, those teams regret not taking me," Jones said.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...195015526.html

Confirmation that he was unhappy about falling to 4th and not about being picked by the Preds?

Old
06-30-2013, 03:39 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing Is New View Post
'Peg Board pretty unhappy about Morrisey.
Most had him ranked in the 20's. Button at 28

Old
06-30-2013, 03:39 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

"What do you know about the City of Nashville?"

"I know Carrie Underwood's there."

Old
06-30-2013, 03:40 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Had we won the lottery and taken Jones everyone would have been thrilled

Gnashville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 03:41 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...195015526.html

Confirmation that he was unhappy about falling to 4th and not about being picked by the Preds?
Interesting that Yzerman and Poile were chatting just before Tampa's pick. Perhaps one last trade pitch from Poile?

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 03:43 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
I wouldnt have been.

Mackinnon all the way.

We need a franchise center not a franchise Dman.

Have people here already forgotten about the Suter-Weber pairing?

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 03:44 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
Umm, I would have been pissed considering MacKinnon is the best player in this draft class...

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 03:44 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iKiwi View Post
We still have Forsberg, Wilson was comming to his own, Hard working Bourque can score a few. I think we'll be fine for scoring.

I'm happy with Jones, we have our defense set and now we can sign some free agents
The last time we signed a big-money free agent who wasn't originally our property was Arnott - that was 2006. I would say the likelihood of us signing free agents is pretty unlikely. Wilson tops out as a 65-point player, and Bourque will likely be a 40 point guy most of his career. At the absolute best, he's another Erat, and we need much, MUCH more than that if we want to compete with Chicago, St. Louis, Dallas, and Minnesota on a regular basis.

I stand by my previous statement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Jones is a tremendous talent, but there comes a point this high in the draft, and when needs become so painfully obvious to anyone who watches a team for five minutes, that need takes precedent over BPA. The Predators' coaches, management, and fans have, at varying times, pissed, moaned, griped, whined, run to the ends their chains and barked, complained, shrugged, speculated, golly-gee'd, and cried about this team's need for world class scoring forwards to go with our world class defensemen and goaltender, and that's exactly what's going to happen for most of next week once free agency opens. This is the organization's chance to stop saying, "we did the best we could, but we came up short" and ****ing do something about it. Nobody knows when a chance like this will come along again. It's an opportunity to radically alter the team's culture. Drafting a defenseman would be a complete waste of that opportunity.
I look forward to hearing David Poile wring his hands over the cost of free agents and how he believes in our current forwards because their character gives him the warm-fuzzies despite their lack of skill.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 03:45 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Singleton View Post
Yes and no.

Chicago and Pittsburgh have done a wee bit better drafting offensive players high in the draft.

At the end of the day, it comes down to more than just the players- even with the massive role they play.

After 15 years, the next time that the current brain trust utilizes this same strategy to reach the conference finals will be the first time.

Seth Jones was a great pick as the fourth player taken. He was not a great pick for the Nashville Predators if the desired goal was to move away from "too much of the same type of player".
I agree, the problem is when Chicago was drafting Toews, Kane or Pittsburg' drafting Malkin, Florida was drafting the the top 10 of those drafts as well.

You could be correct with Colorado, but this is their 3rd top 5 pick in the last 5 years.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 03:46 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
The last time we signed a big-money free agent who wasn't originally our property was Arnott - that was 2006. I would say the likelihood of us signing free agents is pretty unlikely. Wilson tops out as a 65-point player, and Bourque will likely be a 40 point guy most of his career. At the absolute best, he's another Erat, and we need much, MUCH more than that if we want to compete with Chicago, St. Louis, Dallas, and Minnesota on a regular basis.

I stand by my previous statement:

I look forward to hearing from David Poile wringing his hands over the cost of free agents and how he believes in our current forwards because their character gives him the warm-fuzzies despite their lack of skill.
so you think Poile should have passed on Jones to take who?

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote