HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"The Only Card I Need" - 2013 NHL Entry Draft

Old
06-30-2013, 05:08 PM
ThirdManIn
Global Moderator
Aspiring Sinecure

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I hate that we didn't get any of the other 3, and we didn't need defense but Jones was by far according to most a top 2 in this draft, Poile had to take him.

How big is Jones? I've seen 6'3" 205lbs and 6'4" 207lbs.
He said himself that he is 6'4" ~210

I guess it just depends on when he weighs himself

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 05:08 PM
maplepred

Jones is really expected to be paired with weber?? That can't be right, I don't think at his age he should even really be playing on second pair. Weber and josi is top pairing and better be that way.

maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 05:09 PM
Roman Yoshi
Joey: A New Hope

And Detroit gets the one late 1st rounder I wish Ellis could've gotten us.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 05:10 PM
triggrman

vCash: 557
So he's actually taller than Weber.

Honestly, I don't know much about Jones, other than his Dad is from Tennessee and played in the NBA.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 05:10 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
If we trade Josi because we drafted Jones I'll be pissed. In fact, I'll be pissed if we trade any of Weber, Josi or Klein now. Our blueline could be solidified at the moment. Trading away one of those three only means we open up a new hole to fill. It would take a major overpayment for it to be worthwhile.
My question is this if the Preds stumble out of the gate and your season looks like how it ended last year is ownership going to start to make Poile take care of the big sell off of high end contracts?

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 05:11 PM
utkpred

Everyone acts like he don't have the pieces to make a trade. Poile will make the move to bring us a top 6 forward. Have faith.

utkpred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 05:12 PM
Soundgarden

I love te jones pick, you always draft BPA and Jones was simply the best available.

I would have hated to get lindholm or whomever and se jones drop to 5.

Soundgarden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 05:16 PM
Machinehead
Pump it up Puempel!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by utkpred View Post
Everyone acts like he don't have the pieces to make a trade. Poile will make the move to bring us a top 6 forward. Have faith.
But you dont do it now, you wait to see what Jones can do first. If you trade a big D-man and Jones busts its a lateral move at best.

#FreeClendening #FreeMcDonagh
Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 05:16 PM
Paranoid Android
mug mug mug

Really wish we had a 2nd rounder

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 05:18 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
So lets say we pass on Jones, get a late 1st and get Monahan. We would win the cup?
Immediately? No. But it would put a major piece in place to make us competitive. How much closer to the Cup was St. Louis after taking Erik Johnson compared to Pittsburgh's Jordan Staal or Chicago's Jonathan Toews? How much closer are they now?

I look at guys like Skinner, Zibanejad, Huberdeau, and Galchenyuk. Those guys have stepped in and made immediate offensive impacts on the teams that drafted them. That's the kind of guy we needed to get in the draft - in THIS draft - and we didn't get it. Those guys haven't always been on the first line, but that's because their teams actually had the ability to acquire and retain offensive talent. When have we done that? Legwand and Erat? Those are the two leading scorers in our team's history, and I suspect Weber will blow by both of them before his career is over.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 05:19 PM
Byrddog

vCash: 140
The defense is now set and between now and July 6th What is Poile going to do to ice a competitive team. After Jones cap hit theres 9 mil to the cap. We all know he will not spend to the cap, There will be no big splashes without moving some cap out and Ellis Blum and lesser pieces will not do that.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 05:20 PM
predfan24

I'd trade Ellis to move up and pick Shinkaruk right now.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 05:20 PM
utkpred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
But you dont do it now, you wait to see what Jones can do first. If you trade a big D-man and Jones busts its a lateral move at best.
The chances of Jones being a bigger bust than Ellis is incredibly low. I realize there is no such thing as a safe pick but Jones is damn near close.

utkpred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 05:21 PM
David Singleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by BourqueBourqueBork View Post
How so? Who is he like? Shea Weber? Like that would be a bad thing?

Too much of the same type of player is pointing to the redundancy at center with Legwand/Fisher, and with the bottom 6ers like Halischuk/Spaling/Yip etc.

The only way you can have "too much of the same type of player" with top picks is if you are the Edmonton Oilers.
My primary meaning in referring to Trotz's statement ("too many ... same type ...") is where this pick leads. There are no players that have the the potential of those top three forwards currently on the trade market or likely to be released/bought out. Tyler Seguin is not, nor is Lecavalier (even in the unlikely event that Poile can bring either in).

My secondary meaning is that we've seen a similar story like this before. This team once had Weber, Suter, Hamhuis and Klein. They've had several years of Weber and Suter together- backstopped by Rinne.

Let's assume that David Poile is able to bring in a Michael Ryder, or similar player (or two). Is that team truly that much more dynamic at forward than we've seen in the past? No, it's not.

It's very apparent that this team is going to follow a very familiar pattern in its construction. It's a pattern that has proven it can win a Stanley Cup (Bruins), but this team doesn't have near the forwards of that Bruins team, nor does it have the same brain trust.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 05:21 PM
ThirdManIn
Global Moderator
Aspiring Sinecure

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
My question is this if the Preds stumble out of the gate and your season looks like how it ended last year is ownership going to start to make Poile take care of the big sell off of high end contracts?
Why would they?

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 05:23 PM
Preddownsouth

It's always a treat to read the knee-jerk reactions here. It's going to be fun again once FA starts.

Preddownsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 05:24 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

Is it October yet?

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 05:24 PM
AintLifeGrand
Crunchy Jamz Brah

Come on Poile... lets get Shinkarkuk

How is he still on the board?

AintLifeGrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 05:29 PM
Predsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
The last time we signed a big-money free agent who wasn't originally our property was Arnott - that was 2006. I would say the likelihood of us signing free agents is pretty unlikely. Wilson tops out as a 65-point player, and Bourque will likely be a 40 point guy most of his career. At the absolute best, he's another Erat, and we need much, MUCH more than that if we want to compete with Chicago, St. Louis, Dallas, and Minnesota on a regular basis.

I stand by my previous statement:

I look forward to hearing David Poile wring his hands over the cost of free agents and how he believes in our current forwards because their character gives him the warm-fuzzies despite their lack of skill.
And what pick left their changes that.. Lindholm is 1 year at best away. This takes care of one o our big needs we would of had I fill as a number 4d NEXT year.... Nuk was only other player who would of helped us next year and this place would be much more angry right now if we took him.. We wanted barkov.. As I was saying could happen he was gone lone b4 we took him. We took what was the best left and got a player who was 1-2 over all all year.. We got great value for our 4th in the end lets take it..

Predsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 05:31 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
Jones is really expected to be paired with weber?? That can't be right, I don't think at his age he should even really be playing on second pair. Weber and josi is top pairing and better be that way.
Hopefully not right away, but Weber is much more mobile than Klein. I like Josi-Klein

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 05:31 PM
Webersmashpuck

One thing I haven't seen mentioned. Phil Housley coached Jones at the WJCs so there is a connection.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 05:32 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by utkpred View Post
The only trade piece we have is Ellis, and Ellis on his own is not going to bring us a permanent, long-term solution to the team's offensive woes.

Shinkaruk is off the board to Vancouver.

Old
06-30-2013, 05:34 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Marc Bergevin's jacket and broken English are the highlight of the draft so far.

Old
06-30-2013, 05:36 PM
Paranoid Android
mug mug mug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webersmashpuck View Post
One thing I haven't seen mentioned. Phil Housley coached Jones at the WJCs so there is a connection.
Cool. Another connection is he was teammates with Brendan Leipsic in Portland.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 05:36 PM
MarkMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwpreds View Post
Yeah, have to say the guy does not look happy at all.........

Just have to hope that it is strictly because of the fall from 1 to 4 and has nothing to do with not wanting to be in Nashville.
Yeah, if you think about it, bit of an underdog to go #1 but he was probably hoping, assuming that at least he'd go number 2. Not sure what you're watching down there but up here on TSN they kept showing him as he slipped past 2, then 3...felt bad for the guy because you knew he probably felt a bit humiliated and just wanted it to be over.

Think about it...once he went past Colorado, if you were a young hockey player, would you honestly want to play in Florida or Tampa Bay? Nothing wrong with those cities, but Nashville is the most consistently competitive amongst his 2-4 options so I'm sure it's not at all an issue with being a Pred, but rather some lingering shock to go #4 when some whispered in his ear that he might go #1.

Also wanted Preds to get a FWD, but when you get a guy who would be a slam-dunk #1 overall in most any other year at #4... #richpeopleproblems

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote