HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Round 1, Pick #11: Samuel Morin, Defense, Rimouski (QMJHL)

Old
06-30-2013, 03:56 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
after reading his scouting reports he sounds just like coburn. Great skating big defenseman that can get the puck out of his zone by pass or by skating.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 03:56 PM
Prongo
Beer

vCash: 500
Morin will be on the team to start the year LOL.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 03:58 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
after reading his scouting reports he sounds just like coburn. Great skating big defenseman that can get the puck out of his zone by pass or by skating.
His Hockey IQ is a plus though.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 04:00 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo View Post
Far from a stretch, very doubtful that they could have traded back and still get him.

A good, decently safe pick. A smart step towards developping a solid defensive corps.
You had me till here. This was one of the least safe selections in the draft. Certainly a guy with reasonable bust potential. High ceiling because he has size and can skate, but a long way off from being an actual NHL defenseman.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 04:00 PM
NHLAlert
@nhl_alert

Incase a hone wants to see video of him, here's a highlight of the u18 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXBsU...e_gdata_player

NHLAlert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 04:02 PM
NHLAlert
@nhl_alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
You had me till here. This was one of the least safe selections in the draft. Certainly a guy with reasonable bust potential. High ceiling because he has size and can skate, but a long way off from being an actual NHL defenseman.
Sadly I agree. Big guys with little offensive potential usually bust. However, like you said he does have size and can skate a little so it may work out

Old
06-30-2013, 04:06 PM
Revo

Quote:
That's your opinion, but I'd be very surprised he busts. «One of the least safe selections» sounds a bit melodramatic no matter the point of view.

Revo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 04:06 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLAlert View Post
Sadly I agree. Big guys with little offensive potential usually bust. However, like you said he does have size and can skate a little so it may work out
In order to like this pick, you need to put all of your faith in the history of the Flyers in drafting forwards and hoping that translates into this defensive defensemen. Not much else to say about the pick. Looking more forward to our 2nd rounder than our first at this stage.

Old
06-30-2013, 04:07 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1335
Per Tim P.:

Quote:
Morin went on at length about his love for Pronger and how he models self after him
Quote:
Chris Pronger gave a great interview on Samuel Morin. It was like talking to the old Pronger. Funny, insightful, etc. He's feeling good

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 04:10 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo View Post
That's your opinion, but I'd be very surprised he busts. «One of the least safe selections» sounds a bit melodramatic no matter the point of view.
Which of the first round picks would you define as "less safe" at this stage of the draft? Safe is a relative term based upon the players around him.

When you take a 17 year old defenseman 11th overall, it's inherently risky, particularly when that player hasn't been highly rated until the last 2 months.

Trust me when I say I would love to eat crow and have Morin turn into a stud. It's entirely possible he will. However, given how far out in his development this player is, it is absolutely a highly risky selection.

Old
06-30-2013, 04:10 PM
Brophy

With Pronger, Timmo and now Streit, the kid has the best to learn from. Cut him some damn slack.

Brophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 04:13 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
He's not going to play with Pronger, and unlikely Timonen, so that's not likely.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 04:17 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
He's not going to play with Pronger, and unlikely Timonen, so that's not likely.
Exactly. When are these players teaching Morin? For two weeks in camp when they are focusing on their own games? Via telephone?

Morin's development is going to occur with Rimouski Oceanic for the most part... not with Philadelphia. Several seasons away from being AHL eligible.

Old
06-30-2013, 04:19 PM
flybynite77

FWIW, I got my uninformed Flyer Fan opinion on the pick by talking to my brother.

He doesn't follow any of the pre-draft stuff, any junior stuff, etc... Has no idea who the guy is so this is the review

"Big Boy...Aint gonna take no ****. Great pick."

So there you go. I expect that to be the view of a majority of Flyers fans. Not the fans in this forum who actually pay attention and know some of these guys going into the draft though.

flybynite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 04:21 PM
Akanon

Akanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 04:22 PM
NHLAlert
@nhl_alert

Quote:
Exactly. When are these players teaching Morin? For two weeks in camp when they are focusing on their own games? Via telephone?

Morin's development is going to occur with Rimouski Oceanic for the most part... not with Philadelphia. Several seasons away from being AHL eligible.
Exactly, learning from other players is WAY overrated. If they dot have enough skill to play, even the likes of Gretzky, Lemieux, Jagr, Pronger, Lidstrom,etc. won't be able to do anything to make them learn.

I'm sure Pronger was a lot of kids favorite player growing up, but how many will turn out to be like him?

Old
06-30-2013, 04:25 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLAlert View Post
Exactly, learning from other players is WAY overrated. If they dot have enough skill to play, even the likes of Gretzky, Lemieux, Jagr, Pronger, Lidstrom,etc. won't be able to do anything to make them learn.

I'm sure Pronger was a lot of kids favorite player growing up, but how many will turn out to be like him?
Players can teach a guy that is on their team. I buy that. Morin isn't that close to the NHL. I truly believe that Giroux learned from Briere about being a pro. Schenn definitely learned from Pronger and Timmo.

Morin is 17. He's got several years before the opportunity to learn at the NHL level. He'll be learning from L. Schenn... Coburn... maybe a bit from Streit during the last couple years of his deal.

Old
06-30-2013, 04:26 PM
Stranger Danger
the

Quote:
Originally Posted by keaver View Post
i don't think he'll ever make the flyers roster. Should have taken domi don't care if it isn't a need he's a better player.
best. Post. Ever!

Stranger Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 04:27 PM
JABEE

Chris Pronger can't pass his skill and abilities to Morin through osmosis.

JABEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 04:29 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

It's good that a few people here don't understand how veterans and former players mentor the young guys, especially when there are truckloads of evidence to the contrary. They even do it DURING games. coughjagrcough.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 04:30 PM
NHLAlert
@nhl_alert

Quote:
Players can teach a guy that is on their team. I buy that. Morin isn't that close to the NHL. I truly believe that Giroux learned from Briere about being a pro. Schenn definitely learned from Pronger and Timmo.

Morin is 17. He's got several years before the opportunity to learn at the NHL level. He'll be learning from L. Schenn... Coburn... maybe a bit from Streit during the last couple years of his deal.
They can teach them but if they don't have the skill, they can't teach that

Old
06-30-2013, 04:32 PM
NHLAlert
@nhl_alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
It's good that a few people here don't understand how veterans and former players mentor the young guys, especially when there are truckloads of evidence to the contrary. They even do it DURING games. coughjagrcough.
There's a difference between mentorig and teaching. You can't teach someone how to have skill(espicially at 17 or 18 years old) but you can mentor them how to be a pro.

Old
Stranger Danger
the

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
or maybe practice even? Heresay, I know

Stranger Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABEE View Post
Chris Pronger can't pass his skill and abilities to Morin through osmosis.
They can help a player examine holes in their game, show them the right decisions, recognize the right plays, at which point it is the player himself that must familiarize himself with what was told.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 04:33 PM
BWAVgal
WAR FACE!!!

vCash: 50
From looking at his highlights, he seems to move the puck really well. Smart defensively.

BWAVgal is offline   Reply With Quote