HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Late '80s Flyers

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2004, 03:16 AM
Mike8

vCash: 500
Late '80s Flyers

I was wondering about a few late '80s Flyers or early '90s players, and was hoping some of you could help me out.

Firstly, Luke Richardson - Was he ever a legitimate top four defenseman in his time in Philly?

Ron Sutter - he never put up huge offensive numbers, but I remember him being a warrior. Was he good enough in the fundamental parts of the game (board work, defense, leadership) to be an impact player for the Flyers? By 'impact', I mean a player who would give the club some of its identity; a player who's among the top 4-5 forwards (not necessarily scoring wise) for a club consistently.

Gord Murphy - put up some good numbers as a youngster in Philly, was he ever a legit top four dman?

Terry Carkner - same question as for Murphy: ever a top four defenseman in Philly?

Murray Craven - Would you rank him as an impact player for the Flyers?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Old
01-08-2004, 04:33 AM
HFNHL Commish

Send a message via AIM to HFNHL Commish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
I was wondering about a few late '80s Flyers or early '90s players, and was hoping some of you could help me out.

Firstly, Luke Richardson - Was he ever a legitimate top four defenseman in his time in Philly?

Ron Sutter - he never put up huge offensive numbers, but I remember him being a warrior. Was he good enough in the fundamental parts of the game (board work, defense, leadership) to be an impact player for the Flyers? By 'impact', I mean a player who would give the club some of its identity; a player who's among the top 4-5 forwards (not necessarily scoring wise) for a club consistently.

Gord Murphy - put up some good numbers as a youngster in Philly, was he ever a legit top four dman?

Terry Carkner - same question as for Murphy: ever a top four defenseman in Philly?

Any help would be much appreciated.
During Richardson's time with the Flyers, he usually ranked 5th on the Flyers' defensive depth chart...sometimes higher, sometimes lower, depending on whether or not Therien was in the doghouse at the time.

Ron Sutter served as captain of the Flyers for a time, and was everything you asked about and more.

Regarding Gord Murphy and Terry Carkner - both saw time as top-four defensemen in Philly, but you have to consider that Carkner's competition was Ryan McGill and Jason Bowen.

Murray Craven was indeed an impact player for the Flyers. Solid scorer who played a decent all-around game.

Old
01-08-2004, 06:50 AM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
Quote:
Luke Richardson - Was he ever a legitimate top four defenseman in his time in Philly?
no. he was actually a disappointment. he was supposed to be the defensemen to put us over the top but he never was. he was a reliable defensemen who could fight, that's it.

Quote:
Ron Sutter - he never put up huge offensive numbers, but I remember him being a warrior. Was he good enough in the fundamental parts of the game (board work, defense, leadership) to be an impact player for the Flyers?
he was a real good all-around scrappy player. he was a heart-n-soul player that put it all out there for his team.

Quote:
no. he played for some defensively weak Flyers teams but like Richardson, was steady but not spectacular.

Quote:
no. nicknamed "turnstyle Terry" he was a physical defensemen but just didn't have the skating to be a very effective defensemen shift after shift. apposing players would blow by him because of his lack of speed, spinning him around...hence the name "turnstyle Terry".

Quote:
yes, he was an impact player. he was a very good offensive player, could pass and shoot very well. he always seemed to be on the first line and got significant PP time. was not very physical.

Old
01-08-2004, 07:11 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
Luke Richardson wasn't on the Flyers in the late 80s/early 90s, he played in the late 90s/early 00s.

Old
01-08-2004, 08:09 AM
Rex88

I agree with all things said thus far but wanted to speak up for G. Murphy. He was better than Carkner for sure and was a decent playmaker on the PP when he saw time, also kept pucks in the O zone great when guys tried to clear along the boards.
Had forgotten "Turnstyle" - great nickname and accurate.

Old
01-08-2004, 10:27 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
Luke Richardson wasn't on the Flyers in the late 80s/early 90s, he played in the late 90s/early 00s.
Right, just wanted to sneak him in there.

Thanks loads for the replies fellas!

Closed Thread