HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

would u guys swing this semi-blockbuster?

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2004, 09:04 PM
DRL
Streak killers!

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to DRL Send a message via Yahoo to DRL
would u guys swing this semi-blockbuster?

here goes:

to col: ron francis, glen wesley, bob boughner

to car: martin skoula, cody mccormick, was 3rd 04, col 3rd 04.

we could even add macallister for irbe as well if lacroix wanted a vet backup which i doubt.

all 3 canes are pending ufa and 2 may retire after this season. i would prefer to have 7 solid dmen in case of injury or rookie jitters by liles, we add depth, size, toughness, leadership and more skill up front plus another solid faceoff guy who can play the wing, pp and pk.

lines would look hole-less:

tanguay-forsberg-hedjuk
kariya-sakic-konowalchuk
francis-nikolishin-selanne
worrell-hahl-moore/cummins

morris-blake
skrstins-foote
wesley-boughner
liles

thoughts?

Old
01-07-2004, 10:03 PM
st_roland

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL
here goes:

to col: ron francis, glen wesley, bob boughner

to car: martin skoula, cody mccormick, was 3rd 04, col 3rd 04.

we could even add macallister for irbe as well if lacroix wanted a vet backup which i doubt.

all 3 canes are pending ufa and 2 may retire after this season. i would prefer to have 7 solid dmen in case of injury or rookie jitters by liles, we add depth, size, toughness, leadership and more skill up front plus another solid faceoff guy who can play the wing, pp and pk.

lines would look hole-less:

tanguay-forsberg-hedjuk
kariya-sakic-konowalchuk
francis-nikolishin-selanne
worrell-hahl-moore/cummins

morris-blake
skrstins-foote
wesley-boughner
liles

thoughts?

Carolina wouldn't do it. They give up some value and get very little back. Maybe Wash's 3rd in 04 for one of those 2 d-men mentioned, or maybe our 2nd rounder. Not sure what it would take to get one of those two.

Old
01-07-2004, 10:05 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Interesting, and you explain your case well, but no thanks. Francis is having one of the worst seasons if not worst season of his career. He's done, and he should have retired after last season.

Wesley is also way past his prime, not having a good season either. Boughner is an interesting possibility if the Canes really did want to deal him. I'd certainly take him over McAllister. But this would only make sense as a depth move--Boughner isn't an impact defenseman and hasn't been one for a long time. Quite frankly, I like our defensive corps's play of late, even *gasp* Martin Skoula.

One thing those three have in common, though, all 3 are rather slow and not exactly young. I'd just as soon not trade any youth from our team, especially a promising young prospect like McCormick. There's no guarantee we'll re-sign Forsberg, Kariya, and Selanne, not to mention Konowalchuk and slew of upcoming RFAs we have like Skrastins and Morris. We need all the youth we have, and quite frankly we're paper-thin on forward prospects.

Old
01-07-2004, 10:20 PM
st_roland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican
Interesting, and you explain your case well, but no thanks. Francis is having one of the worst seasons if not worst season of his career. He's done, and he should have retired after last season.

Wesley is also way past his prime, not having a good season either. Boughner is an interesting possibility if the Canes really did want to deal him. I'd certainly take him over McAllister. But this would only make sense as a depth move--Boughner isn't an impact defenseman and hasn't been one for a long time. Quite frankly, I like our defensive corps's play of late, even *gasp* Martin Skoula.

One thing those three have in common, though, all 3 are rather slow and not exactly young. I'd just as soon not trade any youth from our team, especially a promising young prospect like McCormick. There's no guarantee we'll re-sign Forsberg, Kariya, and Selanne, not to mention Konowalchuk and slew of upcoming RFAs we have like Skrastins and Morris. We need all the youth we have, and quite frankly we're paper-thin on forward prospects.

I didn't know Wesley wasn't performing well. I guess he and francis are fading in sync.

Old
01-07-2004, 10:47 PM
Mack

Send a message via MSN to Mack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican

wesley was good for the leafs just a year ago.

Old
01-07-2004, 11:18 PM
IceBagadonuts

Blockbuster

Well, that's a pretty interesting trade proposal, DRL.

Wesley and Francis are class-act leaders, and Boughner brings an element of toughness to the blueline.

However, after double-checking their stats (especially Francis & Wesley),
it's pretty clear they're way past their prime. Francis can still shoot, but he can't skate anymore. He's too slow for the Avs' 1-2 lines and too weak defensively now for the checking lines. Wesley's still an OK puck-mover but his 6 PIMs (a career low pace) says he's become too brittle to dish out the hard checks if he was needed to pinch-hit for one of the top-4.

So, I'm with Av-merican on this one.

The Avs are gonna need a lot of their young players -- and picks -- and not too far down the road. And Skoula -- I almost hate to say it -- IS kinda coming around since he (and Granato) simplified his game.

You're right, however, to look for ways to bolster the Avs' D-depth. I just think that can be done with one simple, less-disruptive deal... and given this market, probably for just a 3rd-to-5th round pick (and maybe McAllister thrown-in if it's for a particularly solid player).

Old
01-08-2004, 11:20 AM
JDB3939

Send a message via AIM to JDB3939
Boughner for a 5th round pick.

Old
01-08-2004, 12:31 PM
Belgican

I hate that trade, losing two of our better younsters, even if one of them is named Skoula.

Closed Thread