HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Richards now wearing the "A"

Old
10-20-2006, 04:38 PM
stammer

vCash: 500
Richards now wearing the "A"

Had it on during Daily News Live interview, presumably with Forsberg out.

FWIW.

stammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 04:51 PM
Danko
...the way she goes

vCash: 420
i missed this segment, what else did he have to say?

Danko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 04:54 PM
FlyersFanJS

awesome....that's step one

FlyersFanJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 05:01 PM
Broad st phantom

didnt you all see meet the flyers on CSN during preseason? He had the A back then aswell. Did they strip it and give it back or something?

Broad st phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 05:02 PM
CharlieGirl
Go Rangers Go

According to someone at flyersphans:

Quote:
Not a happy camper. Also sounds like he has a cold. He couldn't provide any answers other than they're going to work hard and fix whatever is wrong. I believe him. If it was another player-- I don't know if I would.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 05:02 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

I don't think it's permanent, just until there's a captain back in the lineup.

But it should be permanent. Take it off Hatcher immediately.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 05:03 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad st phantom View Post
didnt you all see meet the flyers on CSN during preseason? He had the A back then aswell. Did they strip it and give it back or something?
No, he was wearing an A during games when the other alternates weren't playing. I remember a couple games where CCR were the only NHL calibre players in the lineup.

Old
10-20-2006, 05:30 PM
curlyQ

I can't believe it! I must be watching a different game than everyone else. He has looked horrible. He couldn't even complete a pass last night. I am sorry but he is far from "A' material in my book!!! With all the minutes he has been given, what has he done? Has he scored? Has he had an assist? This is just too funny. I think Richards has been overrated and Carter has done more than him. Atleast he has a goal!!!!

I also believe Umberger is getting a raw deal. He is getting very little ice time and doesn't play on any specialty teams. Remember the game a week or so ago, when he was hit in the face and came back and scored a goal. (Let's not forget it was the only goal they scored that night) But who gets the star, Richards? How does that happen? Favoritism? I have yet to understand how that happens!

It took the Penquins close to seven years to get over their hump. Finally when the shook things up by firing the coaching staff and replaced them with their minor league coaches did things start to fall in place.

curlyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 06:26 PM
jmtznr0th

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyQ View Post
I can't believe it! I must be watching a different game than everyone else. He has looked horrible. He couldn't even complete a pass last night. I am sorry but he is far from "A' material in my book!!! With all the minutes he has been given, what has he done? Has he scored? Has he had an assist? This is just too funny. I think Richards has been overrated and Carter has done more than him. Atleast he has a goal!!!!

I also believe Umberger is getting a raw deal. He is getting very little ice time and doesn't play on any specialty teams. Remember the game a week or so ago, when he was hit in the face and came back and scored a goal. (Let's not forget it was the only goal they scored that night) But who gets the star, Richards? How does that happen? Favoritism? I have yet to understand how that happens!

It took the Penquins close to seven years to get over their hump. Finally when the shook things up by firing the coaching staff and replaced them with their minor league coaches did things start to fall in place.
I don't know what game you are watching but I have seen Richards hustling every shift.

jmtznr0th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 06:31 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:

Want some vCash? You need to buy a ****ing clue.

Old
10-20-2006, 08:12 PM
curlyQ

You need a pair of glasses. How many points does he have-- ZERO!!!!!
Ya, he looks fabulous! And his powerplay has been so effective that we have scored NOTHING!!!!!!!!

Richards for the "A" He is our guy. So yes, how could I have been mistaken.

Old
10-20-2006, 08:13 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
You need a pair of glasses. How many points does he have-- ZERO!!!!!
Ya, he looks fabulous! And his powerplay has been so effective that we have scored NOTHING!!!!!!!!

Richards for the "A" He is our guy. So yes, how could I have been mistaken.
Are you 12? Do you check the (usually out of date) stats on espn.com and draw conclusions?

Old
10-20-2006, 08:18 PM
curlyQ

Don't get me wrong, I like Richards and I am glad he is on the team but I don't feel he is "A" material right now. And no I am not 12, but thank you for intelligent observation. Maybe you should play and we can you the "A"

Old
10-20-2006, 08:20 PM
SniperMogilny2K6*

Richards = Future Flyers Captain

SniperMogilny2K6* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 08:22 PM
curlyQ

Oh, I forgot one thing as for outdated espn.com stats...

0 + 0 = ZERO!! All the stats say the same! the future, I don't doubt but not now.

Old
10-20-2006, 08:22 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I like Richards and I am glad he is on the team but I don't feel he is "A" material right now. And no I am not 12, but thank you for intelligent observation. Maybe you should play and we can you the "A"
Umm, captains are leaders, not top point getters (although they can be both). Richards is a natural born leader. He's been a captain and a winner at every level of hockey, including in international competition (captain of the junior gold medal team, and alternate captain last spring at the world championships).

Clarke and everyone involved with the Flyers have said he's the next captain.

Every Flyers fan can see he's the next captain.

Stop getting hung up on point totals and realize that he's a leader and that's who you want wearing the letters.

Besides, it's only temporary while Forsberg is out of the lineup, so stop getting your panties in a bunch.

Old
10-20-2006, 08:23 PM
curlyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
Umm, captains are leaders, not top point getters (although they can be both). Richards is a natural born leader. He's been a captain and a winner at every level of hockey, including in international competition (captain of the junior gold medal team, and alternate captain last spring at the world championships).

Clarke and everyone involved with the Flyers have said he's the next captain.

Every Flyers fan can see he's the next captain.

Stop getting hung up on point totals and realize that he's a leader and that's who you want wearing the letters.

Besides, it's only temporary while Forsberg is out of the lineup, so stop getting your panties in a bunch.

Old
10-20-2006, 08:24 PM
curlyQ

My panties are just fine. Thank you. I don't disagree, but I think he is too young and not ready AT THIS TIME!!! But hey, it is just my opinion. Now you can keep your panties on.

Old
10-20-2006, 08:28 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
My panties are just fine. Thank you. I don't disagree, but I think he is too young and not ready AT THIS TIME!!! But hey, it is just my opinion. Now you can keep your panties on.
My panties are already off. I like to go commando when I watch games.

But seriously, he's ready to wear a letter. To this kid, leadership is in his blood. I hate to use a cliche, but it seems like he was born ready.

He came straight out of junior and along with Carter, led the AHL Phantoms to a championship, his first taste of pro hockey.

He was named to Hitch's "gang of 7" leadership group, a group usually reserved for veterans.

The organization feels he's ready for a leadership role, some random fan disagreeing is a bit strange. I get the feeling you haven't watched a lot of him.

Old
10-20-2006, 08:55 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

For my 4000th post, a tribute to the "invisible" offensive skill of Mike Richards.

http://www.phantomshockey.com/sights.../050608/665.rm

http://www.phantomshockey.com/sights.../050513/635.rm

(that one is shorthanded)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5Q-ogVm5Ww

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIX-UdJuQ9E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYUgQW34o98

Yeah that's right, shorthanded 5 on 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEIwxkjUjWg

Right, because he sucks on penalty shots.

http://www.philadelphiaflyers.com/si...051025/1810.rm

http://www.philadelphiaflyers.com/si...051203/1904.rm

http://www.philadelphiaflyers.com/si...051206/1907.rm

And my personal favourite. Watch it past the save by Nitty.

I think you get my point.

Old
10-21-2006, 09:07 AM
flyersfan97

Quote:

So, Richards took both you and Tox on when you were 7...and won. Dude, learn the game, even a little bit. If the entire team showed the hustle and determination of Richards we'd be among the top, not the bottom, of the league. I'm not real thrilled he as 0 points either, but with the way he is hustling, it'll come. Do you watch him on the forecheck? Time and time again last night (and every other night), the announcers (and I got Florida's feed) were saying 'Richards disturbing things for the Panter players yet again...' He is a proven winner and leader. I don't care how many points he has at the moment, he's 21 years old and has the
ba11$ to call his team out for their crappy play. That alone gives him props in my book.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2006, 02:20 PM
Pitkanen44

Mild props to CurlyQ for daring to call out the man-love darling of the Flyers HFBoards. I don't question his talent or tauted leadership ability, but he is not producing. The generic response to him having ZERO points is "Don't you watch the games? He hustles on every shift!" Since when is "hustling" so freaking amazing?? It should be a given for a professional hockey player, not some incredible, praiseworthy accomplishment. Marginal, checking-line NHLers "hustle" and "forecheck tenaciously" all the time, in every NHL game, and it doesn't make them a great player nor does it lead to them being captain. So what? His forechecking is "annoying" to the other team -- it's supposed to be annoying! Is he forcing turnovers that result in points for his team? No. So what's so great about it? Oh wait, all that matters in Philly is effort and toughness (see Ben Eager love).

Richards needs to produce more than hustle. Until he does, he IS part of the problem. He played regularly on the 2nd and even 1st line until recently -- point production IS part of that job & he didn't do it, period. Period. Even 3rd liners need to score some. I mean, Scott Melanby has 6 points in 7 games... and Richards hasn't even stumbled on 1 assist?! even a worthless secondary assist??

I like the kid a lot, and I'm glad we have him for the future, but there is validity to calling him out a little bit here. Pitkanen is my favorite player, but I don't hesitate to say that he's having some problems right now. It's okay to really like a player and still admit when there's a problem. Flame away.

Pitkanen44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2006, 02:30 PM
flyersfan97

First flame: On a team where not everyone is hustling, it is an 'amazing' thing. I said the other day, that I didn't think Mikey had a very good game against Tampa and I got blasted too. I was way disappointed in his PS and a few other things that I cannot accurately remember at this time. Personally, and at this moment, he is my 'darling.' I see far too many other player on this team that get paid a he11 of a lot more sitting back and watching. Sometimes I feel like I'm watching the freakin' Ice Capades. For the 75th time today, I will say that I agree, Mikey needs to score more, but so do Carter, Umberger, Calder and even our other beloved Pitkanen. Mikey's not scoring right now because apparently he currently posesses hands of bricks. I'll take that any day vs. not scoring due to not hustling.

What seems to be separating Mikey from many others on this time right now is that he has ba11s. He's not afraid to call his teammates, his coaches, or himself out on it. That is precisely why he is wearing an "A" in Forsberg's absences.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2006, 02:49 PM
Pitkanen44

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan97 View Post
For the 75th time today, I will say that I agree, Mikey needs to score more, but so do Carter, Umberger, Calder and even our other beloved Pitkanen. Mikey's not scoring right now because apparently he currently posesses hands of bricks.
FF97 -- I wasn't directing my post at you specifically... you're at least admitting that he needs to do more and that he has hands of bricks right now. Some people are saying that he's not part of the problem when he is. He doesn't get a free pass in all of this because we like him.

Pitkanen44 is offline   Reply With Quote