HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Edm/Ott/St.L Proposal

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2004, 11:01 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

vCash: 500
Edm/Ott/St.L Proposal

Go put your flaming hats on boys and girls...

So Varada's out for the season, leaving Ottawa with a hole in the lineup physically.

In St. Louis, 2 of their top 3 Defenseman are now out for the season (MacInnis, Jackman).

To Edmonton:
Martin Havlat
Shawn Belle

To St. Louis
Karel Rachunek
Jason Smith

To Ottawa:
Pavel Demitra
Georges Laraque
Philly's 1st from Edm

Edmonton gets a bonafide finisher who can play all forward positions and is sound defensively, would look great with Hemsky, a fellow Czech. And a top defensive prospect from St. Louis, and is also a hometown boy. Gives up a top 2 defeseman and captain who might go for nothing if we dont deal him, and Laraque who would fill the physical void in Ottawa.

St. Louis gets two top 4 defenseman in Smith and Rachunek. Rids themselves of Demitra's hefty contract, and loses a piece of their future in order to make a run before the CBA.

Ottawa gets a talented, yet pricey centre, and the enforcer/ physically dominating player they've been searching for, for a long time. And a 1st round pick from Edmonton.

Post trade line-up for Edmonton is...

Torres-York-Dvorak
Smyth-Stoll/Horcoff-Isbister
Havlat-Oates-Hemsky
Moreau-Reasoner-Pisani

Brewer-Staios
Semenov-Ulanov
Cross-MAB/Fergy

gets to flaming...

Old
01-08-2004, 11:16 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
Go put your flaming hats on boys and girls...

So Varada's out for the season, leaving Ottawa with a hole in the lineup physically.

In St. Louis, 2 of their top 3 Defenseman are now out for the season (MacInnis, Jackman).

To Edmonton:
Martin Havlat
Shawn Belle

To St. Louis
Karel Rachunek
Jason Smith

To Ottawa:
Pavel Demitra
Georges Laraque
Philly's 1st from Edm

Edmonton gets a bonafide finisher who can play all forward positions and is sound defensively, would look great with Hemsky, a fellow Czech. And a top defensive prospect from St. Louis, and is also a hometown boy. Gives up a top 2 defeseman and captain who might go for nothing if we dont deal him, and Laraque who would fill the physical void in Ottawa.

St. Louis gets two top 4 defenseman in Smith and Rachunek. Rids themselves of Demitra's hefty contract, and loses a piece of their future in order to make a run before the CBA.

Ottawa gets a talented, yet pricey centre, and the enforcer/ physically dominating player they've been searching for, for a long time. And a 1st round pick from Edmonton.

Post trade line-up for Edmonton is...

Torres-York-Dvorak
Smyth-Stoll/Horcoff-Isbister
Havlat-Oates-Hemsky
Moreau-Reasoner-Pisani

Brewer-Staios
Semenov-Ulanov
Cross-MAB/Fergy

gets to flaming...
I don't think we'll be getting Havlat and Belle for Smith, Laraque and a 1st.. seems like a bit of an underpayment on our part. I'm guessing Smyth would have to be involved in the deal to make it possible..

Old
01-08-2004, 11:19 AM
H-Bear

Well, ignoring value (how do you value such a big trade?), I doubt this trade happens. Both teams are near the top of their respective conferences, and I would doubt that they would be interested in a major shakedown as per your suggestion. I think OTT will be looking for someone more along the lines of Moreau or Torres.

Old
01-08-2004, 11:30 AM
fuhr

That's a nice deal for the Oilers but not for any of the other team.

St.Louis isn't going to make any sort of a "run" by trading arguably their most consistent point producer for 2 defencemen. They are not very deep up front so giving up Demitra would be pointless. They'd be better on their backend but much weaker up front. Seems counter productive to me.

Ottawa is actually worse after this deal. Demitra is a bit of an upgrade on Havlat,at this stage in their careers,but his role in Ottawa wouldn't be as big. Trading Rachunek makes their D weaker and they really have no use for Big George.

So how are the Sens better and why do they need George? They have Chris Neil and he at least will fight and hit people. I almost forgot,he also has scored already this year.

So,basically the Oilers get Havlat for Jason Smith and some spare parts? Seems kind of one sided to me.

Old
01-08-2004, 11:37 AM
Yanner39

I'm sure the Sens would love to get Demitra back. They gave up on him a little soon although Christer Olson is a future Hall of Famer.

Havlat would be a good player to have although I think he and Hemsky are similar players. Also, Melnyk said he was going to spend some caysh although I don't know if he meant $6.5M on one player.

Old
01-08-2004, 11:49 AM
Vyse64
N64

Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
two words

no chance

Closed Thread