HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Round 1, Pick #11: Samuel Morin, Defense, Rimouski (QMJHL)

Old
06-30-2013, 05:22 PM
kelmitchell

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Didn't work for Gretzky's brother.
Haha I know I know but a bit of wishful thinking

kelmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 05:58 PM
OrangeCrush10

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...o-idolizes-him

Not sure if this was posted yet but guessing pronger had a lot of input on this pick?

OrangeCrush10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 06:02 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLAlert View Post
I started playing hockey at 5 and stopped when I was 21, Wayne Gretzky himself couldn't teach me how to make it in the NHL. I played year round as well with going to more camps that I could have though was possible. Still, didn't make it to the NHL or even close because I didn't have the skill. I played every sport too growing up and wrestling was my best. I practiced my butt off just like I did hockey. I loved hockey way more than wrestling but had much more skill wrestling.

If all it took was a Chris Pronger or Wayne Gretzky to teach these draft picks skills, why aren't they all in the NHL? I'm sure that every owner in the world would pay top coin for that
Well then I guess a player predicted to go in the first round of what is supposed to be a very deep draft can't learn either.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 06:06 PM
NHLAlert
@nhl_alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
Well then I guess a player predicted to go in the first round of what is supposed to be a very deep draft can't learn either.
Lol who said that?? Your taking it way out of context now

NHLAlert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 06:10 PM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

So we just picked up the next Pronger and the next Lidstrom? Sign me up

FlyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 06:11 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Lol who said that?? Your taking it way out of context now
Morin has a high skill level, otherwise he wouldn't have been ranked so high. Trying to compare your ability to learn hockey to someone who already plays at an elite level within his age is ridiculous.

Yes many players bust even with the help of great players/coaches, but I would be willing to wager that they are more likely to become successful with said help.

Old
06-30-2013, 06:13 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyLife View Post
Uhm I wouldn't get your hopes up for that.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 06:17 PM
NHLAlert
@nhl_alert

Quote:
Morin has a high skill level, otherwise he wouldn't have been ranked so high. Trying to compare your ability to learn hockey to someone who already plays at an elite level within his age is ridiculous.

Yes many players bust even with the help of great players/coaches, but I would be willing to wager that they are more likely to become successful with said help.
I wasn't doing that, I was saying that I never learned the skill and that you can't teach skill. That's all, so it's not ridiculous. Again your taking it out of context lol.

I will agree with you on one thing though, Messi is god!

Old
06-30-2013, 06:21 PM
WeekendAtBernies

I find it difficult to get behind this pick. If the Flyers had gone off the board to get a forward, I wouldn't love it, but I'd trust them due to their record with 1st round forwards. The flyers' record with defensemen, specifically 1st round defensemen is horrendous though, so they don't get the benefit of the doubt here from me.

One of the things I've noticed with teams that consistently do well in the draft (across all four major sports) is that they draft high upside players when they have the privilege of picking early in the 1st round. Some teams might deviate from this and take a safe "defense only" defenseman if he's close to NHL ready, and this is acceptable, if the team in question is a contender. But very rarely will you see good teams drafting guys with limited upside early in the draft, let alone a player who has limited upside AND is several years away from being NHL ready.

But that's exactly what the Flyers have done here. They drafted a guy with limited offensive upside who will not be NHL ready for at least 2 years.

I think fans have a right to expect more out of the 11th overall pick in a good draft.

I also think the Flyers did themselves a disservice by not trading back if this is the guy they absolutely wanted. They could have gotten him at #20.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 06:23 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
I find it difficult to get behind this pick. If the Flyers had gone off the board to get a forward, I wouldn't love it, but I'd trust them due to their record with 1st round forwards. The flyers' record with defensemen, specifically 1st round defensemen is horrendous though, so they don't get the benefit of the doubt here from me.

One of the things I've noticed with teams that consistently do well in the draft (across all four major sports) is that they draft high upside players when they have the privilege of picking early in the 1st round. Some teams might deviate from this and take a safe "defense only" defenseman if he's close to NHL ready, and this is acceptable, if the team in question is a contender. But very rarely will you see good teams drafting guys with limited upside early in the draft, let alone a player who has limited upside AND is several years away from being NHL ready.

But that's exactly what the Flyers have done here. They drafted a guy with limited offensive upside who will not be NHL ready for at least 2 years.

I think fans have a right to expect more out of the 11th overall pick in a good draft.

I also think the Flyers did themselves a disservice by not trading back if this is the guy they absolutely wanted. They could have gotten him at #20.
Not with the way defensemen came off the board this year.

I thought Morrissey would go 18-25.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 06:27 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
I wasn't doing that, I was saying that I never learned the skill and that you can't teach skill. That's all, so it's not ridiculous. Again your taking it out of context lol.

I will agree with you on one thing though, Messi is god!
Lol, then maybe I misunderstood where you where going with your post.

Old
06-30-2013, 06:28 PM
NHLAlert
@nhl_alert

Quote:
Lol, then maybe I misunderstood where you where going with your post.
Hey it happens, it's only text lol

Old
06-30-2013, 06:32 PM
FlyersProspect2

Send a message via AIM to FlyersProspect2
I don't see the rush in getting any of the guys drafted today to the team. Isn't it generally accepted that most if not all of these guys are a year or two away? Do we really want to rely on 18 year old kids to get the team back to the playoffs? Maybe that's not the real argument here and its more about who was drafted instead of who is could have been, but even if it was a more NHL ready kid, I wouldn't want to rely on him for huge minutes next year.

FlyersProspect2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 06:34 PM
seanerixon

Send a message via AIM to seanerixon Send a message via MSN to seanerixon Send a message via Yahoo to seanerixon Send a message via Skype™ to seanerixon
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyLife View Post
You're the most optimistic Philadelphia fan in existence.

seanerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 06:58 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Don't mind it. Def. needs to be chugging whole milk by the gallon and pumping the iron.

6'6 202 lbs? What a twig.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 07:03 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush10 View Post
http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...o-idolizes-him

Not sure if this was posted yet but guessing Pronger had a lot of input on this pick?
I hope not too much..he's not exactly a seasoned scout.

I'm on the fence with Morin. BPA was Domi but we'll have to see...Flyers better be patient.

His name certainly is subject to abuse if he doesn't pan out...Philly will be brutal I'm sure. I can see it now

Trade the Moron...or is that Moran?

[IMG][/IMG]

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 07:05 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

How long til Morin is NHL ready?

2-3 years probably?

Sniped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 07:06 PM
YuioIklo

Have faith in Simon Nolet guys, he knows what he's doing and he has proven it many times before.

YuioIklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 07:11 PM
daynus

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
Have faith in Simon Nolet guys, he knows what he's doing and he has proven it many times before.
well said. and morin is closer to 6-7, than 6-6. 202 lbs a twig. when he bulks up, i dare yah to go up to him and call him a twig

daynus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 07:50 PM
TheKingPin

Watching the draft on DVR was very happy to have one of nushkinen and zadorov and then this. I guess it could work well and the flyers draft well obviously knowing more than I do. The next pronger is a big thing to say but you have to be big and nasty to even start there so that's good

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 08:10 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post

I don't think Morin has limited offensive upside. He has a great shot.

He is probably the BIGGEST boom/bust guy though.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 08:11 PM
StandingCow

I thought for sure Flyers were going to go for Pulock...

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 08:14 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
I thought for sure Flyers were going to go for Pulock...
Meh, I wouldn't have been all that happy with Pulock for the Flyers. We need some great skaters on D, badly.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 08:16 PM
Damaged Goods

Considering that this pick is neither safe nor high upside (unless you are hoping for offense to materialize out of nowhere), I am not pleased with it. Given how the draft shook out, the Flyers had terrible luck to be sitting there at #11 and I wish they had traded either up or down instead of just taking their lumps.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 08:22 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
Considering that this pick is neither safe nor high upside (unless you are hoping for offense to materialize out of nowhere), I am not pleased with it. Given how the draft shook out, the Flyers had terrible luck to be sitting there at #11 and I wish they had traded either up or down instead of just taking their lumps.
Morin has a ton of upside. He was ranked 4th by Redline report.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...semen/2412515/
I think too many are pegging this guy as at best a #4 defensive defensemen when that is not the case. He is raw but he is also only 17, more than a year younger than Jones. He is as much upside as any defensemen, outside of Jones, in this draft. Just because he was a relative unknown to start the year, doesn't make him a stiff compared to Nurse, who everyone loves but has been compared to Coburn who everybody wants to trade, and Zadarov.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote