HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[VAN/NJD] Canucks trade G Cory Schneider to Devils for 9th Overall Pick

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2013, 07:28 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
"There clearly were issues that were ongoing," Gillis said. "I spent more time on Cory's issues than every other player combined on our team the last three years."

Gillis also stated that leading up to the draft, the club increased Cory's minutes in order to increase his trade value.

"We built him into something we could move," Gillis stated. "There were six young players that I would have traded him for if any of them were ever made available. One was made available at the draft and it was Bo."

Old
MS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsBeReality View Post
Absolutely terrified ? Who said that ? WTF are you talking about ?

It's just not nearly as good as 5.3.

I will take Luongo at 5.3 and that age, then Schnieder at 7.

It's pretty ****ing valid too. I'm not ABSOLUTELY TERRIFIED.
And, no offense, but I'll come right out and say that that opinion is ridiculous.

Schneider is coming into his prime and was a top-5 goalie in the league last year. He was our best player and MVP.

Luongo is not aging terribly well and was an average NHL goalie last year.

If you'd want Luongo over Schneider 3 years from now because of a $1.5 million difference ... sorry, but that's nuts.

Oh, and Luongo doesn't want to be here.

There are a lot of people trying really, really hard to put lipstick on a pig right now.

Old
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceberg Slim View Post
Also, I really think that the Canucks had Horvat targeted and he was high on their list. Once it became clear that they could grab him at #9, there was little real impetus to trade for #7 (and take on the risks related to having Schneider with a Western opponent and possible future rival, whenever the Oilers actually get it together).
Despite what MacT might have said - I think the Oilers goaltending was fairly good considering it was the blueline was that ****.

Old
06-30-2013, 07:29 PM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsBeReality View Post
That's how you are interpreting it. You can't tell me or him the meaning behind what he's saying.

But it is fact, either way. Was it the plan? Yes. Your interpretation of why he pointed that out is completely moot, because you don't have an actual clue.

I look at it as he's like, "Don't be so shocked; it's not like this wasn't the plan to begin with." Because everyone IS acting like he murdered a player to lower the cap or something.
Lol

So its wrong for me to "interpret" what hes saying then you go ahead and do it.

Old
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
Our actual NHL team, you know, the one that's won 5 straight division titles, got older and worse today.

But yeah, who cares about winning. It's way better to be Edmonton. Let's cull everyone so we can finish 7th-10th in the conference next year but move up from 25th to 15th in the HF prospect rankings. That'll be awesome!

I've waited my entire life to have a legitimate Cup contending team that's winning President's Trophies, icing Art Ross, Hart, and Selke winners, and might win a Cup. Every move that's being made should be done with only one thing in mind - winning a Cup before 2015.

I don't care if we lose 70 games in 2019. I want every effort to be made to win with this team now.
What did we win with Schneider in net in the playoffs? One game in 5 tries? This team needs to worry about it's forwards a lot more than it needs to worry about how our goaltending will be in 4 years. You do that by culling declining talent and getting assets for them in order to have a next man up. Mediocre teams are so afraid to go to the well again that they overpay average talent and hold onto it for way too long. It's ironic that you would make this argument when moving Luongo for nothing would be exactly what would leads this team to perpetual mediocrity.

Old
bishop12
Ovyously

Anyone notice Gillis fake phone call after that trade announced? He knew he couldn't show his face.

Glad the goalie circus is coming to a heaed, but talk about mismanaged. Wow

Old
06-30-2013, 07:30 PM
DionPhaneuf3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Classless One View Post
1.3 mill isn't much lower...
You take into consideration the age of the 2 goalies and their play as of late, and having Schneider on a cheaper contract 1.3MIL is A LOT.

What would you rather have a 27 year old goalie, .927% SP, 4mil cap hit OR a 34 year old goalie, .907% SP, 5.3 mil ?

Looking at their numbers and play as of late it's absolutely ridiculous Luongo has a more expensive contract. Based on his recent play it would be fair to have him at a 3mil cap hit. For a goalie like Schneider, you would have to take a cap hit of about 5.5-6mil per year. (suggested by comparing with other top goalies in the league)

Old
VanEric

Quote:
And, no offense, but I'll come right out and say that that opinion is ridiculous.

Schneider is coming into his prime and was a top-5 goalie in the league last year. He was our best player and MVP.

Luongo is not aging terribly well and was an average NHL goalie last year.

If you'd want Luongo over Schneider 3 years from now because of a $1.5 million difference ... sorry, but that's nuts.

Oh, and Luongo doesn't want to be here.

There are a lot of people trying really, really hard to put lipstick on a pig right now.
Calling Schneider a Top 5 goalie is putting some lipstick on that pig too, though. He's yet to prove he can do it with the pressure on. He wasn't any good when he was anointed the #1 to start the season and he wasn't any good with the playoffs on the line.

Old
MrShift4
GRRRR.......Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the ES View Post
I can't "prove" that, obviously, so if you want to hide behind that logic to try and convince yourself that this was all part of Mike Gillis' great plan, and that he's the smartest guy in the room, and that the Canucks don't look like fools for what went down (not telling Schneider, not telling Luongo), be my guest.

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

I'm not hiding behind anything.
Just pointed out that you can't prove anyone a fool on pure speculation or outright fabrications.

Old
06-30-2013, 07:32 PM
Treefingers
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
Anyone notice Gillis fake phone call after that trade announced? He knew he couldn't show his face.

Nice narrative.

Old
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
I think it's funny that everyone thought the Canucks were screwed and weren't going to get anything for our players. They thought we wouldn't move Schneider and that they could just sit around and address their goaltending when we bought out Luongo. Kinda funny how they all "called our bluff" and now have Luongo available. Oh wait...

Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
While true, he's more or less saying that our plan from 3 years ago, is what played out today.
There is no way in hell his plan from 3 years ago included pissing off his starting goalie, publicly demoting his starting goalie, and spending a year+ trying to trade his (ex)starting goalie, only to have the owner have to fly out to Florida to say "oops!".

Unless there is a follow-on sentence from Gillis, that statement is extremely misleading. To the extent that we haven't been shown the entire conversation yet, I'm willing to cut Gillis some slack. But if that really was the essence of his complete statement, he deserves to be mocked and ridiculed.

And fired, frankly, except at this point it looks more and more he's just a bag-man for an Aquilini-run team, so in that sense it's not really his fault, the way the Islanders aren't really Snow's fault.

Old
Corb

Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
The issue is...a $7M starter vs a $5.3M backup who cannot be moved. Even now while he's still a 'starter', he is unmoveable. Are we going to have our 'new' starter who overtakes Luongo making ~$1.7M + whatever a backup might cost, ~$1M at best?

Basically:

Schneider at $7M + $1M backup = $8M.

Starter + Luongo at $5.3M = $5.3M + the cost of a starting goaltender. $4M+? That's ~$9.3M minimum. And if Lack ends up actually becoming the quality starter they're obviously banking on him becoming...you're talking about him asking for $6M+ like GoalieBob. That's $11.3M of goaltending.

And it's why it's silly to be worried about paying your bonafide starting goaltender for the future $7M, and then turn around and act like it's okay to pay a disgruntled backup who doesn't want to be there anymore, $5.3M.
It's also silly to speculate about future cap hits of future back up goalies who may usurp the starter 3-4 years (or longer?) from now. I enjoy your posts, and I'm a bit surprised you're so reactionary.

It's not like we've got Dan Cloutier locked up in this deal, we've got the best goalie this franchise has had locked up. Of course he'll decline, but I've read a lot of posts recently that try to imply this guy is going down hill fast, and I'm sorry I just don't buy it.

Old
06-30-2013, 07:33 PM
DennisReynolds
the implication

Quote:

https://twitter.com/tsnjamesduthie/s...71135684173825

nice try

Old
Henrik To Daniel

So where's all the haters that were laughing at me when I said Luongo is here to stay, trade Schneider?

Old
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
Calling Schneider a Top 5 goalie is putting some lipstick on that pig too, though. He's yet to prove he can do it with the pressure on. He wasn't any good when he was anointed the #1 to start the season and he wasn't any good with the playoffs on the line.
That is some serious cherry picking. Schneider had a great playoffs when he was healthy... and a .927 save percentage in the season he was "anointed" (not really, he won the job) starter.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/careerstats.h...SeasonsGoalies

Schneider is in the same spot right now that Rask was pre-cup run... great goalie that just needs an opportunity to prove himself.

Old
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik To Daniel View Post
So where's all the haters that were laughing at me when I said Luongo is here to stay, trade Schneider?
I'm right here.

Old
MrShift4
GRRRR.......Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionPhaneuf3 View Post
So you move the better goalie, with a MUCH lower cap hit to free up cap space?
Yes!
Maybe he was the only one that could be moved.

Old
Tanevian*

Quote:

Not according to anyone but you.

Old
06-30-2013, 07:34 PM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
"There clearly were issues that were ongoing," Gillis said. "I spent more time on Cory's issues than every other player combined on our team the last three years."

Gillis also stated that leading up to the draft, the club increased Cory's minutes in order to increase his trade value.

"We built him into something we could move," Gillis stated. "There were six young players that I would have traded him for if any of them were ever made available. One was made available at the draft and it was Bo."
Source?

I assumed the initial quote a few pages back was somewhat facetious.

If he's actually saying that Luongo was his guy all along, but that he threw him under the bus and proclaimed Schneider the starter just to raise his trade value .... I don't even know what to say.

Old
06-30-2013, 07:34 PM
Nuck Bonino

Quote:

He was actually talking to Schneider on the phone.

Quote:
Source?

If he's actually saying that Luongo was his guy all along, but that he threw him under the bus and proclaimed Schneider the starter just to raise his trade value .... I don't even know what to say.

Old
06-30-2013, 07:35 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik To Daniel View Post
You called the worst move the team has made since signing Messier... congrats! Now the whole NHL is laughing at Gillis instead of us laughing at you.

Old
SoggyBobcat

Quote:
Our actual NHL team, you know, the one that's won 5 straight division titles, got older and worse today.

But yeah, who cares about winning. It's way better to be Edmonton. Let's cull everyone so we can finish 7th-10th in the conference next year but move up from 25th to 15th in the HF prospect rankings. That'll be awesome!

I've waited my entire life to have a legitimate Cup contending team that's winning President's Trophies, icing Art Ross, Hart, and Selke winners, and might win a Cup. Every move that's being made should be done with only one thing in mind - winning a Cup before 2015.

I don't care if we lose 70 games in 2019. I want every effort to be made to win with this team now.
This. This so much.

Quote:
What did we win with Schneider in net in the playoffs? One game in 5 tries? This team needs to worry about it's forwards a lot more than it needs to worry about how our goaltending will be in 4 years. You do that by culling declining talent and getting assets for them in order to have a next man up. Mediocre teams are so afraid to go to the well again that they overpay average talent and hold onto it for way too long. It's ironic that you would make this argument when moving Luongo for nothing would be exactly what would leads this team to perpetual mediocrity.
I, too, judge a player's playoff performances on ridiculously small sample sizes.

Old
Corb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post

I appreciate the humour, but that's out of context which later tweets demonstrated.

Old
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

Quote:
Source?

It's a joke. It's a quote from Gillis when he made the Hodgson trade. I substituted the names.

Closed Thread