HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tyler Bertuzzi

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2013, 06:35 PM
ProPAIN
I am the DANGER!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
Sounds like Mitch Callahan.
That was my initial reaction after I heard them describe his game. But a 2nd rounder? Who might not even make it to the NHL?

Let's see what the Wings management have to say about this pick and how it pans out.

Old
06-30-2013, 06:35 PM
djscooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frk It View Post
It's not like he is Zetterberg or Datsyuk and playing thousands of miles away and no one else saw him.

He's playing in Canada and everyone else knew he sucks which is why he was ranked #207 among NA skaters. Such a bad pick. Hard for me to believe that actually happened, as a matter or fact.
So much judging in this thread from people who have never seen him play.

Bertuzzi is a guy who made Guelph last year as a 5'8"(at most) 4th rounder who was 150lbs soaking wet based on effort alone. He's grown to 6'0" and looks to still be growing. He's a player who will skate through a wall to win and knows how to get under his opponents skin. He creates a ton of energy which tends to rub off on the rest of his team, very similar to Tootoo.

His offensive skills are being seriously underated as he went through a long stretch of battling injuries this year. From late january to early march he put up a stretch of 14 pts in 14 games including three two goal games.

Overall based on his play style he seems like a safe bet to play in the NHL and has some offensive upside to go along with it as well.

Old
06-30-2013, 06:36 PM
Claypool

Quote:
He's playing in Canada and everyone else knew he sucks which is why he was ranked #207 among NA skaters. Such a bad pick. Hard for me to believe that actually happened, as a matter or fact.
Don't worry about the rankings. Get the players you want. They used essentially a free pick to get him.

Old
06-30-2013, 06:36 PM
Frk It
Thanks for Green!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Still, this is just an extra gamble. They traded down to get this extra pick and still got Mantha at 1st round.
No. It's a waste of a 2nd round pick. A gamble is taking someone like Lehkonen or Buchnevich. Guys with talent that could actually become something.

Bertuzzi is a guy you draft in rounds 6 or 7. You can pick up undrafted guys like him every year for nothing.

Old
06-30-2013, 06:37 PM
Frk It
Thanks for Green!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djscooter View Post
So much judging in this thread from people who have never seen him play.

Bertuzzi is a guy who made Guelph last year as a 5'8"(at most) 4th rounder who was 150lbs soaking wet based on effort alone. He's grown to 6'0" and looks to still be growing. He's a player who will skate through a wall to win and knows how to get under his opponents skin. He creates a ton of energy which tends to rub off on the rest of his team.

His offensive skills are being seriously underated as he went through a long stretch of battling injuries this year. From late january to early march he put up a stretch of 14 pts in 14 games including three two goal games.
It's not about the player, it's about the value. There are guys available like him every year in rounds 5, 6, or 7. Undrafted guys as well.

Old
06-30-2013, 06:38 PM
Townsend Beasley
Coop, how's Annie?

Interesting pick for sure. Seems like he dealt with injuries this year.

Are the wings following the Stl/LA draft tendancies or what? You get harder to play against, dont spend as much based on production.

They must really dig him though, which is kind of exciting.

Old
06-30-2013, 06:39 PM
Wolverine Wings
#thankyoubasedgod

I will say that value is a pretty useless concept. Wings have shown they know how to scout, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, especially because they have seen the kid play.

Old
06-30-2013, 06:40 PM
Frk It
Thanks for Green!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MGoBlue2 View Post
I will say that value is a pretty useless concept..
Please.......... do explain

Old
06-30-2013, 06:41 PM
1st Line Interloper
Will Drop the Gloves

Statistically similar to Andrew Shaw.

He's likely a 4th liner that is an agitator. It would be scary to think about him and McKee on the same line.

I was originally pissed about this pick but I'm slowly warming up to it. Chances are we can still get Buchnevich at the next pick.

Old
06-30-2013, 06:43 PM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st Line Interloper View Post
Statistically similar to Andrew Shaw.

He's likely a 4th liner that is an agitator. It would be scary to think about him and McKee on the same line.

I was originally pissed about this pick but I'm slowly warming up to it. Chances are we can still get Buchnevich at the next pick.
Yeah I've moved on, I'll probably dislike it until I hear the Wings talk about it. If we can grab Lodge, Kujawinski or Buchnevich I'll get over this pick right away.

Old
06-30-2013, 06:43 PM
Caje

I'm a Storm fan, went to 10 games this season plus saw 5 or so more on TV. I'm shocked he went in the second. He's been an solid player for the Storm, great pest while contributing some offense this season. But I really don't think he should've been drafted this high. Very odd move. But Detroit always drafts well, maybe they saw something in him that I/the rest of the media didn't.

Old
06-30-2013, 06:44 PM
1st Line Interloper
Will Drop the Gloves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landru View Post
I'm a Storm fan, went to 10 games this season plus saw 5 or so more on TV. I'm shocked he went in the second. He's been an solid player for the Storm, great pest while contributing some offense this season. But I really don't think he should've been drafted this high. Very odd move. But Detroit always drafts well, maybe they saw something in him that I/the rest of the media didn't.
What round would you have graded him in?

Old
06-30-2013, 06:44 PM
sureWhyNot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkspleen View Post
Yeah, his skill level makes Andrew Shaw look like Pavel Datsyuk
I know there is warnings on these boards for people insulting others - which I agree with whole heatedly.

There should also be warning for people posting about things/players they have never seen play or have a clue about.

Old
06-30-2013, 06:45 PM
bababooeyII

what is funny is that these are the types of guys who we never can get when they become available at either the trade deadline or when they're a ufa. Character players like this are always valued by teams making a playoff run. This kid still could grow and from what everyone says is a great teammate. Given Shaw's effectiveness in the playoffs it seems that Bertuzzi was not going to last long.

Old
06-30-2013, 06:45 PM
Caje

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureWhyNot View Post
Love this kid. Love him. He's the type of guy we don't have enough of in our system.

I am sure alot of people will rag on the pick, but I am also sure those same people have never seen the kid play.

Comparisons to shaw are funny. Better scrapper and could easily develop into a better checking line/pk'er.

First time I've been happy with holland in a while.
Have you even seen him play? This does not seem like a second round player...

Old
06-30-2013, 06:46 PM
sureWhyNot

Quote:
No. It's a waste of a 2nd round pick. A gamble is taking someone like Lehkonen or Buchnevich. Guys with talent that could actually become something.

Bertuzzi is a guy you draft in rounds 6 or 7. You can pick up undrafted guys like him every year for nothing.
Dude stop it. You are flat out wrong.

Old
06-30-2013, 06:47 PM
Frk It
Thanks for Green!

Some of you really will go to any length to try and defend any move that Holland makes.

This majority of this board dislikes Tootoo, and then we go and draft a guy who projects to be a similar player to Tootoo and you guys defend the pick.

They are both 5'8/5'9 agitators, but Tootoo actually put up better numbers in Juniors.

I'd love to eat crow with this, but it doesn't look good guys. Sometimes you just have to be realistic.

Tootoo went in the 4th round too btw, to try and get a comparison.

Tootoo

00-01 60 gp 20 g 48 pts

Bertuzzi

12-13 43 gp 13 g 22 pts

Old
Caje

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st Line Interloper View Post
What round would you have graded him in?
Like most others, 5th-7th. Maybe 4th, but even then I would've been surprised. I'm shocked he was chosen in the second, by Detroit of all teams...

Old
Frk It
Thanks for Green!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureWhyNot View Post
Dude stop it. You are flat out wrong.
Tell me why.

Old
06-30-2013, 06:49 PM
XO

wrong thread

Old
bababooeyII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landru View Post
Have you even seen him play? This does not seem like a second round player...
He was not going to last, I am sure if the Wings thought he was a well kept secret they would've waited. They must've known that someone was going to take him. I love the pick, its about time they had a guy like this who is a Matt Cooke, Raffi Torres type.

Old
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

At least we haven't traded Tootoo yet...

Old
06-30-2013, 06:50 PM
Henkka

Quote:
Some of you really will go to any length to try and defend any move that Holland makes.

This majority of this board dislikes Tootoo, and then we go and draft a guy who projects to be a similar player to Tootoo and you guys defend the pick.

They are both 5'8/5'9 agitators, but Tootoo actually put up better numbers in Juniors.
Bertuzzi is 6'0. Not any kind of midget. And they could have some inside info from Todd that he could still be growing.

Old
06-30-2013, 06:50 PM
bababooeyII

Quote:

I'd love to eat crow with this, but it doesn't look good guys. Sometimes you just have to be realistic.

Tootoo went in the 4th round too btw, to try and get a comparison.

Tootoo

00-01 60 gp 20 g 48 pts

Bertuzzi

12-13 43 gp 13 g 22 pts
He's a better skater and projected to grow.

Old
06-30-2013, 06:52 PM
ThankYouBasedGod

Sounds like we could've got him in the 5th or 6th round. What a ****ing joke.

Closed Thread