HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks draft F Bo Horvat 9th Overall (1st Round)

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2013, 06:04 PM
StringerBell

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GranvilleIsland View Post
Horvat is a better skater I think with more intangibles.
I don't think he's a much better skater, but his acceleration is probably better. The two play very similar styles but Horvat does everything a bit better.

Old
06-30-2013, 06:05 PM
Strangelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
Future leader of the team.

BoHo.
You're not gonna give the Great Stranglove credit for that one Eddy?

Old
06-30-2013, 06:06 PM
Slapshot_11

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
I don't think he's a much better skater, but his acceleration is probably better. The two play very similar styles but Horvat does everything a bit better.
For the 9th overall he should be at the very least...

Old
06-30-2013, 06:39 PM
pucci2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Shoulda picked Nichushkin. Wow.
I couldn't agree more, he was the steal of the draft. Barkov and Drouin over Jones was brilliant in my books as well.

Old
06-30-2013, 06:42 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangelove View Post
You're not gonna give the Great Stranglove credit for that one Eddy?
Great minds think alike Doc.

Haven't hung out at the corner today... things were going by too fast here to keep up as it was. Tell you what... you can post HuSh over there and take all the credit.

btw- remember how much THINKER hated when I did that with Andrew Alberts name.

Old
06-30-2013, 06:43 PM
Bitz and Bites

I did'nt know much about Horvat as I figured he would be long gone by the time our pick came up but by the sounds of it he's a real gamer.If he can continue with the offensive production he had in the 2nd half of the season and the playoffs I think he could be a very effective top sixer in the NHL.
Our Ontario scouts have been stellar for awhile now so I'm confident that BoHo will be a great addition to our team down the road.

On another note,I'm surprised that Nashville could pass up on a guy named Bo but getting Seth Jones as a consolation prize would be alright for them.

Old
06-30-2013, 06:44 PM
Henrik To Daniel

How NHL ready is he?

Old
06-30-2013, 06:52 PM
jigsaw99

how much of Hovart's offensive number is due to Domi?

Old
06-30-2013, 07:00 PM
ohnoeszz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucks5551 View Post
How was Kelser less advanced? He put up 31 points in 40 games at Ohio State in his draft year, played in the NHL the very next year, and then put up 30 goals with the Moose during the lockout. It was only after 05 that he plateaued a little before realizing his potential. Horvat has a lot to prove to be mentioned with the likes of Kesler.
Horvat has a balance to his offensive game that Kesler never has had. He can pass, shoot or dangle but more importantly he has a fantastic sense of when to choose between those abilities. Kesler is pretty clearly a guy who thinks shoot first/drive to the net and his passing is developed from that thought process. He plays a simple offensive game that succeeds because of his skating, shooting, and all around physical ability. Bo looks like he can approach offensive situations more dynamically, considering a wider range of options.

Old
06-30-2013, 07:07 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsaw99 View Post
how much of Hovart's offensive number is due to Domi?
They rarely played together, except on the PP.

Domi was on the first line all year long with Tierney or Broadhurst.

Bo started on the 3rd, then moved to 2C early in the year. Played with the Ruperts the most, but there was a lot of winger combos.

So if anyone tells you Bo piggy backed on Domi, you will know they are talking out of their butt.

Old
06-30-2013, 07:13 PM
ohnoeszz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunted View Post
I would've preferred Nichushkins, but I can deal with Horvat.
Nichushkins is too much of a gamble to me. Yea he has speed, size, balance and a strong stride but he makes a lot of poor decisions and bad passes from what I have seen. He has poor touch on his passes, they aren't very accurate and he doesn't see them ahead of time at all - occasionally missing obvious passing opportunities. He really doesn't use his teammates, often Boothing down the wing. I question how effective his will to impose himself physically will be at the NHL level. He will either be blowing right through defensemen or he will be a useless turnover machine - there is very little else to his game.

I think Bo is the better pick and his ceiling is underrated. I think he can develop into a do it all 1C.

Old
06-30-2013, 07:14 PM
iFan
McDavid to Virtanen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles View Post
I'm sure many people will correct me, but I feel like he's a Gaunce clone.
I don't think so? He's much more skilled than Gaunce. A lot of scouts were saying he's a RoR clone, a GM was reported to have Horvat at 4th overall and would've taken him there, he has a solid upside as top line center, its not out of his reach at all and he could be ready next year to take over the 3rd line with Hansen and Higgins. He's a great pick at 9th overall.

Old
06-30-2013, 07:23 PM
skg

We don't draft Russians. Why? Victor Kozlov, Alex Svitov, Stan Chistov, Pavel Vorobiev, Zherden, Filatov, Zyuzin Cherepanov, Volchkov etc etc.
Taking Russians is risky and we couldn't afford to take the chance especially when our prospect pool is so shallow.

I prefer to think that after today, we have our top lines set for the next ten years with Horvat, Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Jensen, Schroeder and Kassian.

Old
06-30-2013, 07:24 PM
John Bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by skg View Post
We don't draft Russians. Why? Victor Kozlov, Alex Svitov, Stan Chistov, Pavel Vorobiev, Zherden, Filatov, Zyuzin Cherepanov, Volchkov etc etc.
Taking Russians is risky and we couldn't afford to take the chance especially when our prospect pool is so shallow.

I prefer to think that after today, we have our top lines set for the next ten years with Horvat, Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Jensen, Schroeder and Kassian.
Russians are also prone to be selfish, tempermental and likely to disappear in big games.

Old
06-30-2013, 07:24 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik To Daniel View Post
How NHL ready is he?
He needs at least another year to continue to develop his overall game. His size is good, he is pretty strong, and he is good at faceoffs, so he might be able to play the year after next.

Old
06-30-2013, 07:25 PM
jigsaw99

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASUAL KEV View Post
I think he'll be a good 3rd line center with potential to move up to the 2nd line. It's not good enough for a top 10 pick. This is such a "safe" pick. Hard worker, good at faceoffs, solid defense. That sounds like Gaunce and Kesler. This team really needs a 1st line sniper and after Nichoushkin fell it should have been him.

Dat skill

we shoouldddaaaa drafteeeddddd Kopit.... i mean... Nichoushkin.

Old
Edler Von Gud

Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGrossman View Post
Russians are also prone to be selfish, tempermental and likely to disappear in big games.
and use the KHL as a negotiating tactic.

Old
Hollywood Burrows

I think passing on nichushkin is the right choice. it's just too risky. And I prefer the Canucks to draft more well-rounded players like Horvat.

BoHo looks like captain material. He sounds like a corsi-driver who can dominate the puck in all three zones with a combination of skill and strength, a bergeron or richards-type.

edit: I would much sooner draft a kopitar-type than a nichcushkin-type. The two have nothing in common anyways, except the Canucks passed on them both.

Old
06-30-2013, 07:27 PM
jigsaw99

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGrossman View Post
easy Don Cherry

Old
06-30-2013, 07:39 PM
nelli27
Danny Gallivan

London Knights seasons ticket holder here to congratulate the Canucks on an exceptional 9th overall pick in Horvat.
He's an incredible talent whose game will remind you of a Logan Couture or Mike Richards in so far as he is solid at both ends of the ice: plays PP, exceptional on PK (e.g. scored two shorties in playoff game on road against a powerhouse Plymouth team), good on faceoffs, big game performer (see playoff stats), goal scorer, unselfish, team player, high hockey IQ. Loves the toe drag!
Not the flashy, dynamic player like Max Domi but more complete. I say he projects to 2nd liner.
Good luck Vancouver.

Old
06-30-2013, 07:56 PM
Cogburn

vCash: 50
"Dynamic Two-way Forward".

I won't get into the trade resulting in this pick, but we drafted the type of player we had in Hodgson, and have in Schroeder, Gaunce and even in Jensen.

I honestly can't say I'm excited about this pick. There were players I'd have loved further up the rankings, but obviously that wasn't possible to get, but between Horvat, with our team structure, and Nichushkin, I'd have gone for Nichushkin time and again.

I'm liking that we had Shinkaruk fall into our lap though, and Subban could be very good for us moving forward too.

I hope and pray that I'm wrong in my assessment, but I feel Horvat wasn't the right choice.

Old
06-30-2013, 07:57 PM
canuck4life16

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
"Dynamic Two-way Forward".

I won't get into the trade resulting in this pick, but we drafted the type of player we had in Hodgson, and have in Schroeder, Gaunce and even in Jensen.

I honestly can't say I'm excited about this pick. There were players I'd have loved further up the rankings, but obviously that wasn't possible to get, but between Horvat, with our team structure, and Nichushkin, I'd have gone for Nichushkin time and again.

I'm liking that we had Shinkaruk fall into our lap though, and Subban could be very good for us moving forward too.

I hope and pray that I'm wrong in my assessment, but I feel Horvat wasn't the right choice.
MG would never choose a russian so forget that

Old
06-30-2013, 08:02 PM
Strangelove

Quote:
Great minds think alike Doc.

Haven't hung out at the corner today... things were going by too fast here to keep up as it was. Tell you what... you can post HuSh over there and take all the credit.
lol I thought of HUSH but ruled it out!

Anyway, posted BOHO first, I win.

Quote:
btw- remember how much THINKER hated when I did that with Andrew Alberts name.
Lucky for you the Great Strangelove is more forgiving than THINKER.

Humbler as well....

Old
06-30-2013, 08:08 PM
Bitz and Bites

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelli27 View Post
London Knights seasons ticket holder here to congratulate the Canucks on an exceptional 9th overall pick in Horvat.
He's an incredible talent whose game will remind you of a Logan Couture or Mike Richards in so far as he is solid at both ends of the ice: plays PP, exceptional on PK (e.g. scored two shorties in playoff game on road against a powerhouse Plymouth team), good on faceoffs, big game performer (see playoff stats), goal scorer, unselfish, team player, high hockey IQ. Loves the toe drag!
Not the flashy, dynamic player like Max Domi but more complete. I say he projects to 2nd liner.
Good luck Vancouver.
Thanks for the input and wishes.Like many,I was shocked by the trade but Horvat sounds like the type of guy who can do a lot of different things that will help you win games and the kind of player that you need in the playoffs for a deep run.
I'm really glad we passed Nichushkin and grabbed BoHo,even though the Russian does fit a team need in a bad way.Too much risk and Horvat really has him covered in the character and intangible parts of the game.

Old
06-30-2013, 08:31 PM
ephmrl
#tanknation

Send a message via AIM to ephmrl Send a message via Skype™ to ephmrl

Very happy with the pick after watching this..

Closed Thread