HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Round 1, Pick #11: Samuel Morin, Defense, Rimouski (QMJHL)

Old
06-30-2013, 08:24 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
Considering that this pick is neither safe nor high upside (unless you are hoping for offense to materialize out of nowhere), I am not pleased with it. Given how the draft shook out, the Flyers had terrible luck to be sitting there at #11 and I wish they had traded either up or down instead of just taking their lumps.
Morin is a safe bet to be at least a #5 shut-down guy at the NHL.

That's if he completely flops though. Kid has great skating and size.

He IS a "safe pick."

He also has high upside to be an elite shut-down defenseman in the NHL.

Unfortunately, he doesn't have much offensive upside.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 08:26 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Well two things to like about him is his work ethic and his Hockey IQ.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 08:27 PM
JayRosehillforMVP
snubbed again

Fingers crossed for Pronger 2.0. Very very very unlikely, but stranger things have happend. Flyers scouting obviously saw something. I'm sure that Pronger had a hand in the pick and will definetly be a big part of his development. I like the pick, as much as I wanted Nichushkin to fall to 11.

JayRosehillforMVP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 08:29 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Morin is a safe bet to be at least a #5 shut-down guy at the NHL.

That's if he completely flops though. Kid has great skating and size.

He IS a "safe pick."

He also has high upside to be an elite shut-down defenseman in the NHL.

I think it is simply too soon to say that. He has a nice shot and an adequate pass, from what I have read. That, combined with his strong hockey iq and his plus skating suggests that there might be some offensive potential there.

I do like the snarl with his size.

I think you could make a fairly compelling case that his ceiling is higher than nurse or ristolainen--though he obviously also has a biggest potential to bust as well.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 08:31 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I don't agree with this, Chris. He skates well and he's not bad at moving the puck, and his hockey sense is apparently quite good. No scouting report I've read on him has mentioned him having poor ability with the puck. He's not going to be a dynamite puck mover, but with a little bit of development, I wouldn't count out his offensive game coming along.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 08:34 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
I don't agree with this, Chris. He skates well and he's not bad at moving the puck, and his hockey sense is apparently quite good. No scouting report I've read on him has mentioned him having poor ability with the puck. He's not going to be a dynamite puck mover, but with a little bit of development, I wouldn't count out his offensive game coming along.
We'll see.

As for his boom/bust trajectory, I look at it more like this...

Morin's basement is the exact same basement as Nurse, however Nurse has a better shot at being better than his basement.

I think the both have roughly the same absolute ceiling, however Nurse has a better shot at getting closer to that ceiling.

Old
06-30-2013, 08:35 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
This guy is also very young. He is likely to have another two years in the Q to develop his game even further. Lets see where is is then before hating the pick.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 08:41 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
This guy is also very young. He is likely to have another two years in the Q to develop his game even further. Lets see where is is then before hating the pick.
I like Morin more than Zadorov at the very least.

Zadorov is 6 months older than Morin, roughly 2" shorter, not as aggressive, not as intelligent, and put up only 9 more points on the London Knights.

Old
06-30-2013, 08:47 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

I like the pick more with seeing how young he is. I hadn't read much or watched anything about him before this, and then all anyone had to say when we picked him was that he was a great fighter.

Honestly with being 17 his offense could burst onto the scene next year. We'll have to wait and see. Hopefully he has the mobility and IQ to be at least a top 4 dman.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 08:48 PM
Broad Street Elite

This is just a pick where we traded floor for ceiling. I don't like the pick, but getting Hagg (the safer pick) in round 2 makes this one a lot easier to swallow.

Broad Street Elite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 08:50 PM
Phunhog

I know these are his highlights, but he looks real good in his own end. I'm liking these pick more and more.

Phunhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 08:50 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
This is just a pick where we traded floor for ceiling. I don't like the pick, but getting Hagg (the safer pick) in round 2 makes this one a lot easier to swallow.
I agree. Hagg really made this draft a win.

That doesn't mean he's a better pick-up than Morin, but it gives us some breathing room.

Old
06-30-2013, 08:52 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunhog View Post
I know these are his highlights, but he looks real good in his own end. I'm liking these pick more and more.
Yeah I just was going to post this. I like his footwork for a big man....he looks pretty good

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 08:53 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Know who else was physical, rangy, and had great footwork?

Pronger...

Old
06-30-2013, 08:54 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Wish he was atleast invited to the WJC camp this summer

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 08:56 PM
phlocky

Morin will most likely be a 2nd pairing dman. We could have done worse so I'm not too upset with it. However, and I know this is going to be very unpopular with most of you because you way over value our guys, but I was hoping that when Jones fell to 4 that Homer would make a move and offer our 11th pick and coots for the chance to pick Jones. I love Coots and all but if you have the chance to get Jones and it only costs you Coots and Morin, you do it.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 08:58 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
I think it is simply too soon to say that. He has a nice shot and an adequate pass, from what I have read. That, combined with his strong hockey iq and his plus skating suggests that there might be some offensive potential there.

I do like the snarl with his size.

I think you could make a fairly compelling case that his ceiling is higher than nurse or ristolainen--though he obviously also has a biggest potential to bust as well.
If he hasn't shown it yet at the junior level then there is almost no chance he "developes it" at the NHL level. Get real, he's a one way, one dimensional, defensive dman, nothing more. He's a 2nd pairing guy in the mold of L Schenn.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 08:59 PM
YuioIklo

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackBob View Post
Fingers crossed for Pronger 2.0. Very very very unlikely, but stranger things have happend. Flyers scouting obviously saw something. I'm sure that Pronger had a hand in the pick and will definetly be a big part of his development. I like the pick, as much as I wanted Nichushkin to fall to 11.
Forget Pronger 2.0. Pronger was unique. Morin will be Morin.

YuioIklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 08:59 PM
seanerixon

Send a message via AIM to seanerixon Send a message via MSN to seanerixon Send a message via Yahoo to seanerixon Send a message via Skype™ to seanerixon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunhog View Post
Love how he loses the puck like three times in the corner, and then blindly sends it up the board setting up Sweden for a sweet shot from the point.

Actually, I'm sorry, he didn't set up that sweet sweet shot from the point, his teammate did.

seanerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:03 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanerixon View Post
Love how he loses the puck like three times in the corner, and then blindly sends it up the board setting up Sweden for a sweet shot from the point.

Actually, I'm sorry, he didn't set up that sweet sweet shot from the point, his teammate did.
Im not gonna lie, saw some good things in the video but that puck FLYS off of his stick every time he touched it :/. Hope he really works on that.

EDIT: Also to the people saying Pronger had a say, it was posted on twitter that Pronger didnt scout the guy.

Old
06-30-2013, 09:03 PM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
If he hasn't shown it yet at the junior level then there is almost no chance he "developes it" at the NHL level. Get real, he's a one way, one dimensional, defensive dman, nothing more. He's a 2nd pairing guy in the mold of L Schenn.
False. See: Shea Weber and his 18 points in 70 games in the WHL in his draft year.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:05 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
Oh, enough of this.

If scouting offensive potential was simply based on statistics, we'd all be pretty effective scouts.

Morin's hockey IQ coupled with his skating ability indicate there is further offensive potential to be developed. Tyler Myers had very similar numbers in his draft year.

It's all about looking at his skill set and seeing how it projects at the next level. His skill set is nothing like Schenn aside from the fact that they're both big and nasty.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:05 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Wish he was atleast invited to the WJC camp this summer
Some of those defenders invited might be playing in the NHL next year.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:07 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Some of those defenders invited might be playing in the NHL next year.
True.

From what I can see, plays good defensively and actually is a very good skater for his size. Problems with the puck though.

Old
06-30-2013, 09:10 PM
seanerixon

Send a message via AIM to seanerixon Send a message via MSN to seanerixon Send a message via Yahoo to seanerixon Send a message via Skype™ to seanerixon
I'm sorry, I still can't believe we went with Morin over Pulock. I just can't wrap my head around it.

seanerixon is offline   Reply With Quote