HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"The Only Card I Need" - 2013 NHL Entry Draft

Old
06-30-2013, 09:07 PM
glenngineer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
What can you tell us about him? Seems like a big kid with decent offensive chops who needs to get bigger... not bad for where he's being picked, but still not really what we needed most out of this draft.
Dude, quit your bellyaching already. We didn't get an elite forward. They were all picked before we were able to pick. We got the best player on the board and arguably the best player in the draft. We should've traded down to get a lesser talent and maybe another pick? How does that make us better? Having Jones not only makes our D solid as all get out but it also is going to help the transition game which should help our offense.

I get it, we all wanted one of the top forwards out of this draft. We didn't get one of them. Get over it. We are moving forward without MacKinnon, Barkov or Drouin. We got bigger like Poile wanted to do. We got a stud of a defenseman. It's not sexy, it's not pretty and it's not what we wanted. So what. Who knows how our offensive prospects are going to turn out. Who knows what may happen with any of defensemen.

As I've suggested before, we have some trade chips if we desire to move someone. That is something we didn't have. We can afford to move a defenseman if we so choose. It can be any of them to be perfectly honest. While I'm not a fan of trading Weber, if Jones turns out to be good, we can trade Weber for a kings ransom. The needs of the team today were elite forwards and while we didn't get one, we still got an elite player in his own right. And who knows what the needs of the team are going to be in a few years. Maybe Poile is gone. Maybe Trotz is gone. Maybe we change our system around. To say we needed a forward and that today is not addressing needs, one of them was filled, a top 4 defender. We did that. If we had picked a goalie or a lesser player then I'd be pissed but getting the best player is a win for us, plain and simple.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:10 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Emil Pettersson

6'1" Centerman from Sweden. 44 points in 44 games in the junior Swedish league.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:10 PM
braindead

I think Poile/Fenton may have dozed off and the kid that holds the shirts is picking guys with famous sounding hockey first names now. Next pick, probably looking at a Wayne or Jaromir somebody-or-another.

Edit: Nevermind, this late in the draft we need to focus our attention on broken-legged Euros. I'm looking at you Patrick Hornqvist.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:12 PM
IceManCat
A New Era

Came here to tell you how jealous I am of your new toy

IceManCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:15 PM
Mercalius

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Dude, quit your bellyaching already. We didn't get an elite forward. They were all picked before we were able to pick. We got the best player on the board and arguably the best player in the draft. We should've traded down to get a lesser talent and maybe another pick? How does that make us better? Having Jones not only makes our D solid as all get out but it also is going to help the transition game which should help our offense.

I get it, we all wanted one of the top forwards out of this draft. We didn't get one of them. Get over it. We are moving forward without MacKinnon, Barkov or Drouin. We got bigger like Poile wanted to do. We got a stud of a defenseman. It's not sexy, it's not pretty and it's not what we wanted. So what. Who knows how our offensive prospects are going to turn out. Who knows what may happen with any of defensemen.

As I've suggested before, we have some trade chips if we desire to move someone. That is something we didn't have. We can afford to move a defenseman if we so choose. It can be any of them to be perfectly honest. While I'm not a fan of trading Weber, if Jones turns out to be good, we can trade Weber for a kings ransom. The needs of the team today were elite forwards and while we didn't get one, we still got an elite player in his own right. And who knows what the needs of the team are going to be in a few years. Maybe Poile is gone. Maybe Trotz is gone. Maybe we change our system around. To say we needed a forward and that today is not addressing needs, one of them was filled, a top 4 defender. We did that. If we had picked a goalie or a lesser player then I'd be pissed but getting the best player is a win for us, plain and simple.
QFT.

Amen.

And as much moaning as we do here on how (un)enticing Nashville may be to dynamic FAs - how sexy would it be walking into a team with Weber/Josi/Klein/Jones knowing they were only one or two forwards away from being serious contenders. Also, knowing they could be "that guy" on the team since our fanbase is pretty much guaranteed to fall in love with anyone that scores more than 30 goals a season - it would be damn enticing. Players want to win, and Nashville has solidified one half of it's ice for years to come.

Mercalius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:19 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post
Hasn't made up his mind yet which country he wants to represent, he's played for Finland as well.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:21 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
I think Poile/Fenton may have dozed off and the kid that holds the shirts is picking guys with famous sounding hockey first names now. Next pick, probably looking at a Wayne or Jaromir somebody-or-another.

Edit: Nevermind, this late in the draft we need to focus our attention on broken-legged Euros. I'm looking at you Patrick Hornqvist.
It was Erat, not Hornqvist.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:21 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Tommy Veilleux. Another player out of Victoriaville. Looks like he's an enforcer RW

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:24 PM
Webersmashpuck

So outside of the top 60 this draft looks like trash.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:32 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Emil Pettersson

6'1" Centerman from Sweden. 44 points in 44 games in the junior Swedish league.
From what I can gather based on past relegations, Swedish teams tend to give more young guys playing time when they get bumped down to the Allsvenskan. If that's the case, Pettersson will likely find a good role with Timra's senior team this year, and we'll see what he's capable of fairly quickly. His contract expires after next year, too, so we could see him in the AHL in fall 2014.

Veilleux looks a lot like the major junior equivalent of Nick Oliver.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:33 PM
NoNecksCurse

this draft was an utter disappointment for me.... sigh, what's new. im a preds fan. we're cursed...... NONECKSCURSE

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:48 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Wade Murphy, Penticton Vees, BCHL. Headed for North Dakota this fall.

His numbers in the BCHL the last two years have been pretty outrageous, but nobody has snapped him up yet. Could be another Craig Smith or another Cam Reid.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:49 PM
Mercalius

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
this draft was an utter disappointment for me.... sigh, what's new. im a preds fan. we're cursed...... NONECKSCURSE
Free agency hasn't started yet and there are still plenty of trades to be made.

With one pick, and the re-signing of Josi, we've solidified one of the stoutest back-ends in the NHL. Not for a season, not for two seasons, but for years to come. That has to be enticing to free-agents. Forget that we're in the South, forget the small market. Forget the label of us being a "cheap" team as we've managed this defensive-corp with a pretty decent budget considering their talent. Why wouldn't a dynamic FA want to play here? The mantra that Trotz will ruin them? I really find that laughable. We all wanted a forward (well most of us) but the fact that two teams were willing to throw multiple firsts our way and we stood pat for Jones shows just show valuable the league views him. That's with the commodities of Weber and Josi on our roster and Pekks in net. If I'm a forward, Nashville jumps on my short-list of calls to take as if you're chasing hardware, what other teams offer the long-term stability on the defensive end (that's perennially proven to go far in the playoffs) that we do? There aren't many.

Old
06-30-2013, 10:11 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Don't forget there is no state income tax in TN. The has to be appealing for guys looking for big money. Low cost of living. No income tax. Solid team with a stable ownership group, stable GM, stable coach. Both Poile and Trotz are highly respected across the league.

The longer I thought about it today the more I liked the Jones pick. Yeah I would've liked Barkov or Drouin, but if Jones turns into the player people think he will be we are suddenly one of the hardest teams with which to match up. Our transition game will also improve, as will our PP. We can roll two PP units with excellent defensemen (Weber/Jones/Josi/Ellis).

On to 5 July.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:26 PM
Mercalius

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Don't forget there is no state income tax in TN. The has to be appealing for guys looking for big money. Low cost of living. No income tax. Solid team with a stable ownership group, stable GM, stable coach. Both Poile and Trotz are highly respected across the league.

The longer I thought about it today the more I liked the Jones pick. Yeah I would've liked Barkov or Drouin, but if Jones turns into the player people think he will be we are suddenly one of the hardest teams with which to match up. Our transition game will also improve, as will our PP. We can roll two PP units with excellent defensemen (Weber/Jones/Josi/Ellis).

On to 5 July.
I wanted to punch my monitor when Barkov was taken at 2. I had hoped it was homerism that had hyped him into a legit top 2-3 pick after researching him so heavily the last few months, but obviously - it wasn't. What I realized after I calmed down was, even after Drouin was off the boards, was that we still landed one of the most elite talents in this draft, that still filled a need, and will allow Poile to focus sniper-style on the remaining holes on our team - goal scoring. I think their moves today show how high they are on Wilson and Forsberg, but all of Poile's talk leading up to today was about landing a forward. Just because we lucked on Jones sliding to 4 doesn't make me think he'll forget about that need. Luckily, the addition of Jones might actually make us MORE enticing to free agents now that they see they could be the guy here. It could be a blessing in disguise...you know, in addition to us having a defense that will make small children cry, hehe.

Old
06-30-2013, 10:53 PM
Lucky Luke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Klein View Post
He will be among the top defensive defencemen in the Q league this coming season.
He may be traded to a Q contending team and if so, will likely fetch a mighty return.

Lucky Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:56 PM
Lucky Luke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Klein View Post
This Max Talbot-like kid has a heart the size of an arena.
I bet he makes the NHL some day, on pure determination.

Lucky Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:15 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey diva View Post
Juuse is 5'9"! That's how tall I am. Not sure why he was ranked so high. All the opposition has to do is aim for the top corners.
Did you watch him play during the U-18 tourney?

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:13 AM
Predsrule

Ah yes this is full of the we didn't pick who I wanted at 4 even though he wasn't there so now all his other picks suck. We or the 2n best goalie at 99 a good skating 6 5 230 pound D... And a couple long shots but that's what you get at that range of the draft.. This was a solid draft for us.. Can we all get past the fact that I was jones there at 4. W have more top 6 prospects then we do top 4 d prospects...

Predsrule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:51 AM
oreilly22

Suter is no doubt a better player than Seth Jones now based on sheer experience, but Seth Jones has all the tools you could want in a defenseman. He's got Suter on size and physicality and is equal in virtually everything else. His shot might actually be better too.

This is a defenseman that can carry the puck into the zone. There are very few defensemen that come to mind that can do that effectively. Drew Doughty is one for sure. So, he could essentially and eventually replace Ryan Suter and some of the zone entering that we used to rely on Erat to do. He actually has a bit of a mean streak, which Suter rarely displays, and would probably actually win fights, unlike Suter.

If nothing else, we should be glad that no other team got such a beast of a player. Make no mistake about it, with Seth Jones we are not only a harder team to play against, we will have teams checking under their beds for our defense before they go to sleep at night.

oreilly22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 03:13 AM
GrandLarseny
Off to the KHL

vCash: 375
Just came in here to say, Juuse Saros is a great pick. I think he might be one of the best goalies out of the draft, when its all said and done.

GrandLarseny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 07:34 AM
Legionnaire11

Didn't get a chance to visit the boards yesterday (anniversary!) and don't want to read through 20 pages of posts to see what the consensus is, but I can pretty much guess it...

The Jones pick in the moment is frustrating. It was the one picks that nobody wants. Not because he isn't talented, but because of the loooooooooong standing needs on this team. Unfortunately the three teams ahead of us stomped all over our dreams and at #4 Jones was by far the best player available.

I'm sure that in the coming years we'll see and hear lots of "Poile should have drafted Barkov/Drouin/MacKinnon" comments. As ridiculous as that sounds to most of us, there are still people who believe we should have drafted Lecavalier in 1998.

There are a few redeeming factors to this pick...

1. The part that is already taken care of. As I already said, Jones was hands down the best players available when the Preds picked. He should have been gone before it got to #4, maybe that's an indictment of the GM's in COL, FLA and TBL... they passed up the top rated player to draft for need, also those franchise are terrible. Coincidence?

2. The part that needs to be taken care of. To redeem this pick, Poile HAS to add offensive talent through free agency or trade. If he can add a legit top 6 forward (or two) through other avenues, then this pick actually turns into a blessing since it makes our backend SO amazing.

...the HUGE downside to this pick? The Shea Weber trade rumors are about to get cranked up to 11.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 07:56 AM
oreilly22

So, I was trying to find a theme to this draft. They said we're looking to get bigger, and we did take some size with Jones, Diaby, and Maenalanen, but if you look closer we got a lot of fighter/tough guys. Very Boston/LA influenced imho.

Here is one that has two of the players we picked fighting each other:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZdbWNWVXRA

Last edited by oreilly22: 07-01-2013 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Clip wouldn't run right
oreilly22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 08:30 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
As the Predators try to retool their identity, they went back to their usual method of drafting players who they consider hard to play against.

“A little bit of underdog guys, but they’re really hard guys,” general manager David Poile said of his 10 picks. “This is one of the things we were trying to do in the draft is get a little more bite to our game with some of these guys.”
http://blogs.tennessean.com/predator...dogs-in-draft/

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 08:33 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm all for physical hockey players......

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote