HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Blaine Byron | Center | Smiths Falls (CCHL) | 6th round, 179th overall

Old
06-30-2013, 08:30 PM
Burgs

vCash: 500
Blaine Byron | Center | Smiths Falls (CCHL) | 6th round, 179th overall

Date of Birth: February 21, 1995
Place of Birth: Osgoode, Ontario
Size: 6'0", 168 lbs
Shoots: Left

2012-13 stats: 12-40-52, 24 PIM (51 gp)

Another Junior A player from Canada about to take the NCAA route, Byron split last season in the Central Canadian Hockey League (covering Eastern Ontario) between Kemptville and Smiths Falls, winning 3rd Team All-Star and Top Prospect honors. Committed to play for Maine in Hockey East next season. Ranked 167th among North American skaters.

Profiles:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Sexton
"Blaine is a very smart player. He will grow a little bit more. Smart, skilled, creative playmaker. Certainly more of a playmaker than a goal scorer. Going to the University of Maine if not this fall, then the following fall. (Another) college player that’s going to need a little bit more time to develop." (link)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPuck.com
Byron, who hails from Osgoode, Ontario, takes to all aspects of playing center naturally. “I really try to play a two-way game,” said Byron. “If I keep the puck out of my net, then offense will come. I’ve always been told ‘defense first.’ Then I can catch them sleeping when I pick off their passes. You’ve got to be on your toes and read the play. See where the backdoor guy is, pick him up, and work down low.”

Watching Byron work is like watching both brain surgery and rocket science. You want an NHL comparison, try Boston’s Patrice Bergeron. Like Bergy, Byron knifes across the blue line with the puck on his stick, then calculates until the play he’s envisioning can materialize. Catch him if you can, but good luck trying to outsmart him.

“I like to have puck possession,” Byron said. “I never like to give the puck away. As a last resort, I’ll dump it in. I find that if you have the puck, you can create changes and then the other team can’t go and score. I definitely try to use the whole ice. Just the way I can play a two-way game,” he said, “and turn defense into offense really quickly. To make plays for my teammates and create offense every shift.” (link)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraftSite.com
Shifty skilled puckhandler with long stride, speed, vision, and playmaking skills. Can operate at top speed while in possession. Plays the point on the PP. Very thin and needs weight and muscle. Slick puckhandler who can make plays at high speed. A long strider who looks to teammates but has excellent quickness and acceleration to beat opponenets one-on-one. Can man a point on the PP. Clearly stood out as the top Canadien player in the World junior A Challenge. His downside at this point would be his thin frame and lack of girth. He also needs a 60 minute commitment.He needs strength and teams will also be weary of selecting him because his success has come playing against Tier Two opponents. (link)

Last edited by Burgs: 07-01-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 08:33 PM
farscape1

Blaine Byron , wow say that name fast while drunk. lol

farscape1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 08:36 PM
BrunoPuntzJones
Biscuit Scorer

His game is actually quite poetic.

BrunoPuntzJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 08:48 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoPuntzJones View Post
His game is actually quite poetic.
sounds unfocused, undisciplined and prone to self-aggrandizement. that said, the talent is undeniable.

edit: im clearly talking about Lord Byron. Childe Harold, Don Juan ect.

Last edited by Crafton: 06-30-2013 at 09:53 PM.
Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:30 PM
Marvelous Manked
Director of Glitter

I know Blaine, he's a very nice guy. Very nice. Respectful and professional.

Easily one of the top players in the CCHL which, in my opinion, is an underrated league. He's got work to do to become an NHLer, of course.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:33 PM
CrosbyMalkin

This is the exact quote from Red Line Report on May 25th this year when they listed their 5 draft risers.

"He's a skinny tier 2 player, but we keep coming back to the fact that we haven't seen many with a higher skill level".

CrosbyMalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:37 PM
deakka

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrosbyMalkin View Post
This is the exact quote from Red Line Report on May 25th this year when they listed their 5 draft risers.

"He's a skinny tier 2 player, but we keep coming back to the fact that we haven't seen many with a higher skill level".
Puh! Luckily Shero didnt see that part or he wouldnt have gotten drafted by us

deakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:47 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by deakka View Post
Puh! Luckily Shero didnt see that part or he wouldnt have gotten drafted by us
this is the kind of criticism that i can deal with. it's fun, it's tongue-in-cheek, perhaps it contains a tinge of truth, but it doesn't take itself too seriously.

far better than the woe-is-me bridge jumping by armchair scouts that inundated the forum yesterday.

at least none of these dudes can be accused of being overrated...

Old
07-01-2013, 11:11 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

this is what the HFboards search function has had to say about Byron over the years:

Poster: jerry2101, 10-26-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Here is what a scout told me, cannot give out source.

F - Blaine Byron - Overall good player, good skater, best forward on this team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa Guy View Post
Anyon know how Blaine Byron form the Ottawa area has been doing in camp?
so sad, he never got a response.

Poster: specialteams, 01-06-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
SF had a good December, coming on but don't know if they have enough? Both Matt Robertson and Mackenzie Sawyer were Player and Goalie of the Month award winners. Kemptville 73's Blaine Byron was Rookie of the Month, congrats to the three!
Poster: hockeynut12, 02-05-2012, 06:28 AM

Quote:
There are always plenty of kids in the CCHL good enough to play in major junior but many stay away due to eligibility issues.

Off the top of my head here is my list of 16 year olds who could make the jump:

Blaine Byron (KEM)
Evan De Haan, Liam Biard(PEM)
Jacob Jammes (GLO)
Marc Beckstead (CUMB)
Remi Elie (HAW)
Derian Plouffe (KAN)
two responses to the above list:

Poster: canada eh, 02-06-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
if these players were to make the jump you would likely see the same thing that happened this year.. almost no points from any of them and probably minimal playing time. many of these kids are very small, so would probably benefit from waiting a few years and going the NCAA route. Maybe thats just my bias however
Poster: Ottawa Guy, 02-06-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
I am sure some of these players will make the jump however the OHL is a different game and for some their lack of size will make it difficult. All of these players improved over the season and will show well at their respective OHL tryouts, some may be better served staying in the CCHL and pursuing the NCAA though.
Poster: BadgerKnight, 09-19-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
NHL Central Scouting's preliminary list of players to watch in North America and Europe includes two players from the CCHL - Blaine Byron (Kemptville) & Christian Weidauer(Carleton Place). Both players were denoted as on the "C" list who are thought to be fourth-, fifth- or sixth-round possibilities.
one of only two players from the CCHL to make Central Scouting's 'watchlist' - there's your litmus test on Shero's drafting

Poster: gotitans, 10-05-2012, 07:06 AM

Quote:
How about a discussion on some of recent positives in the league.

- Darian Plouffe leading the Stallions in scoring as a 17 year old.
- Blaine Byron being put on the NHL draft list (C Skater)
- Francois Lemellen committing to Harvard. That is like winning the lottery !!!
Poster: SPORTSMANIAC, 10-09-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Maine adds Byron to 2013 recruiting class
By Nathan Fournier Published: 9th October 2012

Quote:
The University of Maine men’s ice hockey team added to their 2013 recruiting class with a verbal commitment from forward Blaine Byron, who currently plays with the Kemptville 73’s of the Central Canada Hockey League.

“I chose Maine because I really felt it was the best fit for me and I got a real good vibe from the coaches,” said Byron. “I also really liked how they get so many fans a game and really wanted that sort of atmosphere to play in front of every night.”
http://mainehockeyjournal.com/2012/1...ruiting-class/
uh oh, here we find our first signs of criticism:

Poster: eddyshack, 10-11-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Speaking of "pooping the bed", Kemptville 73's and their net minder Billy Cooper left a dirty mess in Cornwall tonight losing 5 to 1 against the very average and medicore Colts.

What will the re-energized 73's do against Nepean, PLK, SMF and the league leading Ottawa Jr. Senators.

Was Blane Byron hurt ? He sure was vanilla out there tongiht. If he wasn't wearing his cage, no one would notice him.
Poster: Off the Boards, 10-11-2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Blaine Byron (5'11, 163lbs, '95 -has a verbal agreement with Maine) was the most impressive forward for Kemptville. But IMO big #24 Jesse Lussier (6'3, 186lbs, '94) was the best player for the 73's. Very good skater who rushed the puck with speed, and showed a willingness to hit anything he could. Zachary Lindsay (6'3, 195, '92) showed no respect and punched Colts goalie Piccolino when he skated by (no call by the ref???).

Kemptville where not very impressive & have much to improve.
our friend eddyshack (hopefully not the Penguin forward from 1971-73) replies. i wouldn't say he has an ax to grind, but he's leaning over a grindstone and there's an adze at his feet.

10-11-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Good post. I totally agree with you, except with respect to Blane Byron.

I agree he is usually the top forward. Tonight? I just did not see it. IMO he was MIA.
speaking of Eddie Shack:

July 3, 1973: Traded to Toronto by Pittsburgh for cash, July 3, 1973. LOL.

there's a lot of eddyshack in this thread and the Kemptville 73's are just breaking his heart.

10-12-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Wow. Speaking of "pooping the bed", it appears that the 73's have a bad case of diaheria.

Where is Waldo ? Cancel the Byron ABP

It appears Byron showed up tonight with an assist and a penalty. However, if this team is going anywhere, Blane has to step up.

Go 73's....to the basement.
for the record, another poster claimed that the game was far closer that the score indicated.

Poster: Off the Boards, 11-23-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Cornwall 11 Kemptville 1 , not a very good game.

The 73's did not look prepared for the game, there did not seem like there was a plan for the specialty teams (hence last in leaghue in both catagories) the only thing I saw was Blaine Byron (5'11 163 '95) skate with puck on the outside perimeter in the offensive zone. I do believe he (Blaine) will be dealt because he is going to play at UMaine next year. I would love to Jesse Lussier in a Colt's uniform (alot of teams would like to get him).
Poster: Ottawa Guy, 12-01-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
As the December 1 deadline date (midnight) approached the Smiths Falls Bears have made 3 trades in an effort to improve their team.

The Bears opened the day by trading Jesse Blais '95, Cole Allard '94, the rights to Dean Galasso '94 & PDF for Blaine Byron '95 & Jake Butler '92. Byron is a centreman who recently represented Team Canada East at the World Junior Challenge.
Poster: CCHLinsider, 12-04-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
[Yanik Crete] is more of the defensive type of player who will chip in with a goal time to time but likes to pass more than shoot ( 23 helpers) which is much needed if you are playing with a sniper like Maniccia or Buonicontri. Right now I believe the coach will add Byron to that line to replace Buonincontri in the shooting department and try getting him to bring up his goal count up.
Poster: Ottawa Guy, 12-04-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Byron has always been more of a set-up guy, he does not have the big time shot or release of a goalscorer, his biggest strength is the ability to hold onto the puck.
Poster: end2endrush, 01-23-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Another reason Kville struggles is when your always in last place, its hard to recruit top end players to your club. What kind of kid wants to play for a last place club? I believe it is best for the franchise if they are just sold already. I think their last year to do anything was this year with big names like Byron Lussier House.
Poster: specialteams, 01-23-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Yes there are problems in Kemptville, had to trade Byron and House because they lose them next year. Heard Lussier and Gonu wanted out which is too bad because those are pieces with Nowak at least they had some Jr A experience for next year. Brought in some other parts in trades, time will tell if they pay off but lack of results makes it tough to recruit for sure.
i wonder what Shero is paying his scouts to watch this garbage team [/sarcasm, it's their damn job to watch all teams...]

Poster: hockieguy, 01-23-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Another thought to add. If your power play is ranked 11th all the way into January, before you trade Byron, Lussier and Gonu, and it is still thatt bad after you do, then maybe the PP instilled isn't working...... And changing it would be a good idea. I have sat in the stands and watched the same unit go out power play after power play, and produce nothing. One game, Baylis scored three times short handed and the very next power play, the same guys came on. Does anyone see something wrong here? It isn't working. So common sense would say try something or someone else.
Next seasons, I am not wasteing my money on a season pass in Kemptville. I'll drive to Nepean and spend my money there.
now, on to mock draft season:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajicz View Post
4th (113th) Blaine Byron, C, Smiths Falls Bears (CCHL)

Despite playing in an inferior league, Byron has been able to garner some attention among scouts. Will play in University of Maine next year, and could play there for a while before turning pro and trying to get into the Kings' roster.
Poster: Kenny Bania, 05-27-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser
I could see the Senators drafting Remi Elie with one of their late picks. Murray tends to like drafting local players as well as risers in the draft, and Elie is both.
Or Blaine Byron.

Quote:
Rising:

Blaine Byron: He's a skinny Tier II player, but we keep coming back to the fact that we haven't seen many with a higher skill level.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...eport/2360467/
Poster: Bruiser, 05-27-2013, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Seems like an interesting potential draft choice. This article http://allpuck.com/blaine-byron-is-p...le-on-the-map/

Indicates that he is a puck possession player who has a comparable playing style to Patrice Bergeron. What round is he projected to be drafted in?

Last edited by Crafton: 07-01-2013 at 11:44 PM.
Old
07-02-2013, 07:48 AM
WVP

Hmmm, we shall see. Sounds like there's some talent and he's going to a great program. Definitely a project.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 07:43 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Blaine Byron ‏@blainebyron 10m
9 years ago Mario Lemieux signed my jerseys best wishes blaine and this week I'll have the opportunity… http://instagram.com/p/bxDxVqAnNg/
https://twitter.com/blainebyron/stat...71837431427075