HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Round 1, Pick #11: Samuel Morin, Defense, Rimouski (QMJHL)

Old
06-30-2013, 09:12 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

vCash: 500
Pulock is terrible in his own end and has skating issues which is a red flag for an offensive defenseman.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:13 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
False. See: Shea Weber and his 18 points in 70 games in the WHL in his draft year.
Tyler Myers 19 points in 65 reagular season games and 3 points in 7 playoff games in his draft year.

Samuel Morin 16 points in 46 regular season games and 7 points in 6 playoff games during his draft year.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:14 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanerixon View Post
I'm sorry, I still can't believe we went with Morin over Pulock. I just can't wrap my head around it.
Pulock was not all that great.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:15 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

where would Morin be selected if he were in last year's draft?

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:16 PM
seanerixon

Send a message via AIM to seanerixon Send a message via MSN to seanerixon Send a message via Yahoo to seanerixon Send a message via Skype™ to seanerixon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Pulock was not all that great.
I just feel like his upside is much higher. I mean if I had it my way, we would have gotten Risto somehow.. or Nurse for that matter.

... But I will say I'm glad we didn't go with Zad... I don't know why but I have a terrible feeling about'em.

seanerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:18 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
Considering that this pick is neither safe nor high upside (unless you are hoping for offense to materialize out of nowhere), I am not pleased with it. Given how the draft shook out, the Flyers had terrible luck to be sitting there at #11 and I wish they had traded either up or down instead of just taking their lumps.
Morin has the highest upside next to Jones in the draft. His probability of hitting it isn't as good, but how you can say this guy has no upside is beyond me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
I find it difficult to get behind this pick. If the Flyers had gone off the board to get a forward, I wouldn't love it, but I'd trust them due to their record with 1st round forwards. The flyers' record with defensemen, specifically 1st round defensemen is horrendous though, so they don't get the benefit of the doubt here from me.
Pitkanen, Sbisa, and Woywitka? All three are/were NHL defenseman. Just because they haven't picked defenseman doesn't mean they don't know how to evaluate them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
False. See: Shea Weber and his 18 points in 70 games in the WHL in his draft year.
Tyler Myers. Was NHL rookie of the year less than two years after he was drafted. Big guys take longer to develop offensively.

FLYguy3911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:20 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
where would Morin be selected if he were in last year's draft?
Well, if Morin had more offensive potential/put up more points, he would've been more highly touted than Reinhart.

Morin is more physical, a slightly better skater, as smart positionally, and is 2" larger in frame/span.

Though it's also not everything, there's been reports that Morin is the kind of guy who elevates his play in the postseason. This year he might've shown flashes of that offensive potential we desperately want from him as well. Only one series but 7 points in 6 playoff games this year.

I'm going to breakdown the numbers of some larger defensemen taken in recent drafts by comparison real quick to try to get a better gauge on Morin's offense.

Old
06-30-2013, 09:22 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

I kind of liked Morrissey and Domi but IF Morin puts it all together he should be a solid D man. He better pan out.....we can't afford him being a bust.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:22 PM
FLYguy3911

I have a feeling this is going to be a fun thread to re-visit in say 4 years.

Old
06-30-2013, 09:25 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
I kind of liked Morrissey and Domi but IF Morin puts it all together he should be a solid D man. He better pan out.....we can't afford him being a bust.
We have a safety net in Hagg. That was why everyone was really pleased with the Hagg selection even if he isn't a higher potential d-man.

Old
06-30-2013, 09:25 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
I hope in a good way.....I will be sure to bump it up being that I've been tagged as the old thread necromancer

Old
06-30-2013, 09:26 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
We have a safety net in Hagg. That was why everyone was really pleased with the Hagg selection even if he isn't a higher potential d-man.
I agree...Hagg might salvage the situation but it would still suck big time if Morin doesn't pan out considering the talent in this first round we passed up.

Old
06-30-2013, 09:28 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
I agree...Hagg might salvage the situation but it would still suck big time if Morin doesn't pan out considering the talent in this first round we passed up.
Morrissey?

That's the only defenseman taken after Morin that I outright thought was a better pick. There were also some toss-ups, but that's the point. The Flyers liked Morin.

Old
06-30-2013, 09:30 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Morrissey?

That's the only defenseman taken after Morin that I outright thought was a better pick. There were also some toss-ups, but that's the point. The Flyers liked Morin.
Yeah mainly him....

Old
06-30-2013, 09:30 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
I say we at least let the kid play a full year after his draft before we start throwing out judgements like they're set in stone. He's returning to a good Rimouski team that had three players drafted in the first two rounds.

He put up some points in the playoffs and he was drafted out of the Q so there's some hope.

Old
06-30-2013, 09:31 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Tyler Myers. Was NHL rookie of the year less than two years after he was drafted. Big guys take longer to develop offensively.
I've seen this comparison thrown around a ton, but I do want people to realize that for every Tyler Myers there are a slew of big men taken in the first round with similar offensive production at an identical age that never develop offense at all. I hate comparables in general, but when we're talking about Morin, the landscape is generally bleak... there's Tyler Myers, Adam Foote, then..... Jeff Woywitka and David Wilkie.

Morin was easily the highest selected of them other than Myers, so yes, there is hope, but people need to understand that this was a risky pick that will require a strong development effort out of his Juniors team and the Flyers over the next 3-4 years.

Much like Stolarz, Flyer fans would be best served putting Morin out of their mind for a couple of years

EDIT: I also think the best we should be looking for is a bigger version of Luke Schenn. Any more than that is gravy.

Last edited by Broad Street Elite: 06-30-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:31 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Morrissey?

Per Holmgren

Quote:
Q: On trading down with the first round pick

"We had quite a few calls to move back, but we didn't really have... we'd identified two or three players, and Samuel was one of them. Once we knew he was going to be there we had no intention of moving back."
Quote:
Q: What about your first round pick - what stands out about him?

"Samuel's come a long way in a short period of time. He's ultra-competitive... for a guy that's that big, he skates very well. Great range, obviously. Pretty good understanding of the game, and his puck skills have just gotten so much better in not a very long period of time. I think he's a very good prospect with a chance to really blossom over the next year or two."
Quote:
Q: He talked of idolizing Pronger... is this the kid that could be the next Pronger?

"I hate to put that stamp on a kid. He's a guy we really like. Like I said, he's come a long way in the last little while. Simon Nolet, who works in Québec, and Todd Hearty, our other scout who's in Québec, they've spent a lot of time following Samuel around. Obviously they're very excited that we were able to draft him."
Quote:
Q: Is he NHL ready?

"I'm never going to say never... i think that's a stretch. We'll get a look at him next week with some of our other young kids when they come into town. We'll see. But my opinion right now, I'd say it's a stretch. It's not to take anything away from him. We think he's a very good prospect for the Flyers for the future."
Quote:
Q: On taking defensemen with the first two picks

"Like I said to you guys the other day, if a forward was clearly the better player at the 11th pick, that's who we're gonna take. We actually had three or four defensemen, probably, that we considered the next guys, and Samuel's the guy we have."

Last edited by FreshPerspective: 06-30-2013 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Additional comments
Old
06-30-2013, 09:35 PM
phlocky

Quote:
I hope we DO revisit this thread in 3 years and I hope to God that I have to eat crow but mark my words, if you guys are expecting anything more than a 2nd pairing guy then you will be sorely disappointed.

We still don't have a future #1 dman anywhere in our organization. We don't even have a potential top pairing PMD anywhere in sight. For as much hype surrounded this draft and what we could do for our future, nothing has changed.

TBH, we should have jumped on the boat sooner and offered our pick to the Canucks for Schneider before the Devils got him. What Schneider could have done for us is greater than what Morin is likely to do for us.

That being said, I'm looking forward to seeing how we do moving forward from here. I won't say we came out of the draft losers, but we certainly didn't come out winners either.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:35 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Per Holmgren
I think Holmgren saw the board far better than any of us.

We all wanted to move back, but in retrospect, defensemen were FLYING off the board at a pace akin to that ridiculous top 10 rush of blueliners last year.

Old
06-30-2013, 09:36 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
He fights and skates with his head up smart. Wished the Big E would have done that. Really glad that Pronger will be working with him. He did wonders for Luke. Other than that there is not much I can say when the team I care about picks the player I wanted them to draft at 11. One mean sob for a 17 year old and boy can he skate.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:38 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
I've seen this comparison thrown around a ton, but I do want people to realize that for every Tyler Myers there are a slew of big men taken in the first round with similar offensive production at an identical age that never develop offense at all. I hate comparables in general, but when we're talking about Morin, the landscape is generally bleak... there's Tyler Myers, Adam Foote, then..... Jeff Woywitka and David Wilkie.

Morin was easily the highest selected of them other than Myers, so yes, there is hope, but people need to understand that this was a risky pick that will require a strong development effort out of his Juniors team and the Flyers over the next 3-4 years.

Much like Stolarz, Flyer fans would be best served putting Morin out of their mind for a couple of years
There are very few 6'6 defenseman let alone 6'6 defenseman with mobility. It's a rare group. Myers, Hedman,...? If you want to lump him into the Boris Valabik and Vlad Mahalik category go ahead but he's much more skilled than those guys.

Old
06-30-2013, 09:39 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
I hope we DO revisit this thread in 3 years and I hope to God that I have to eat crow but mark my words, if you guys are expecting anything more than a 2nd pairing guy then you will be sorely disappointed.

We still don't have a future #1 dman anywhere in our organization. We don't even have a potential top pairing PMD anywhere in sight. For as much hype surrounded this draft and what we could do for our future, nothing has changed.

TBH, we should have jumped on the boat sooner and offered our pick to the Canucks for Schneider before the Devils got him. What Schneider could have done for us is greater than what Morin is likely to do for us.

That being said, I'm looking forward to seeing how we do moving forward from here. I won't say we came out of the draft losers, but we certainly didn't come out winners either.
Another Holmgren quote...

Lou Lam pulled that one out of his butt ...kudos to one of the best GM's in the league

Quote:
Q: Were you in for Corey Schneider at all?

"No."

Old
06-30-2013, 09:44 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Another Holmgren quote...

Lou Lam pulled that one out of his butt ...kudos to one of the best GM's in the league
I'm sure 28 other GM's were blindsided by Gillis' foolery.

Old
06-30-2013, 09:48 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I'm sure 28 other GM's were blindsided by Gillis' foolery.
Still annoying that he finds Brodeur's replacement so quickly while we are still spinning our wheels trying to figure out our starter....

Quote:
Q: On his reaction to the Devils trade for Schneider

"I talked to Lou a couple hours before the draft and he said he was working on something big, we'll see how it goes. You never know. Obviously Marty's not going to play forever, so I think that's a good move for the Devils. Even though Lou wants him to play forever."

Last edited by FreshPerspective: 06-30-2013 at 09:53 PM. Reason: sp
Old
06-30-2013, 09:52 PM
jabba2
Just say no to Clowe

I like that Morin's 6'6 and mobile. You cant ask anymore from a physical standpoint. Also 7 points in his last 6 games shows some improvement. Though some, including Pronger said he is not an offensive player.

Last edited by jabba2: 06-30-2013 at 10:12 PM.
jabba2 is offline   Reply With Quote