Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft

Old
06-30-2013, 09:09 PM
Paul4587

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliff View Post
Is it working for anyone? It wont load for me.
It works fine when I click the link - it could be a flash player issue as I used to have issues with tsn videos. If it doesn't work you can go to tsn/ca/nhl and on the video player on the right it's on the third page and watch it there with no issues.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:10 PM
Doothpick
RIP Ruslan Salei

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDuck View Post
I feel that for every single one of our picks, they're analysis all said they need to add strength.
That's usually the case with every single draft pick so I wouldn't be concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliff View Post
Has he been picked yet?
It looks like he didn't get picked at all. I wonder if there isn't that much talent to go with his size?

Doothpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:13 PM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

vCash: 69
The teams were right to not pick Hill. I did my own research on him because his height and weight were intriguing. His memorable name and size are just about the extent of his value. Poor hockey sense, he bumbles around the ice, his positioning is bad, and his stick handling is subpar. A guy like Morin has a LOT of size but he's an example of a big kid who can carry his size well. Tyler Hill is the opposite of that.

Anyway. Decent draft seems like a lot of future depth additions. Don't really see any star power coming out of this. But that's not necessarily a bad thing.

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:20 PM
DigitalSea
#50in15

vCash: 50
Decent draft. Though I was expecting more after Bob's comments at the end of last season.

DigitalSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:22 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Can't say I'm too excited about this draft. We'll see if our home runs make it over the fence.

Spicy Porkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:24 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalSea View Post
Decent draft. Though I was expecting more after Bob's comments at the end of last season.
There's still a whole off season to make changes to the pro team. So long as he does something to address the hole in our top 4 I'll be pretty happy.

Old
06-30-2013, 09:27 PM
Static

Send a message via AIM to Static
Our prospect pool allows us to take risks, I'm totally ok with wat they did. Very interested to see what these guys do.

Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:29 PM
Doothpick
RIP Ruslan Salei

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
The teams were right to not pick Hill. I did my own research on him because his height and weight were intriguing. His memorable name and size are just about the extent of his value. Poor hockey sense, he bumbles around the ice, his positioning is bad, and his stick handling is subpar. A guy like Morin has a LOT of size but he's an example of a big kid who can carry his size well. Tyler Hill is the opposite of that.
Thanks.

Btw was this the first draft that Murray didn't make any moves at all? It seems as if every year he has either traded down, or made some kind of pick exchange with the Leafs

Doothpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:30 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalSea View Post
What do those comments have to do with the draft? Our draft picks wouldn't mean big changes next year.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:30 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doothpick View Post
Thanks.

Btw was this the first draft that Murray didn't make any moves at all? It seems as if every year he has either traded down, or made some kind of pick exchange with the Leafs
Yeah it is the first time.

Old
06-30-2013, 09:31 PM
Selanne138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
What do those comments have to do with the draft? Our draft picks wouldn't mean big changes next year.
He meant he thought Murray would make some sort of splash with a draft day trade.

Entire offseason ahead Digital Sea!

Selanne138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:33 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne138 View Post
Burkie mentioned Fowler as a possibility for the Olympics!
Not surprising. If it were an NHL-sized rink I'd say his chances are zero, at this point, but big ice plays to his strengths. I still think he's on the outside looking in, but it also wouldn't surprise me to see him go if the US wants a fast and mobile team.

Gibson is someone I'd be shocked to see, because he has zero NHL games under his belt, and really, how many would he realistically have by the time the rosters are in? Impressive as he is, I just don't see him making the cut without the pro experience.

06-30-2013, 09:34 PM
douglast5
PS3 GMC Comish

vCash: 797
With so many young players fighting for spots on this team, any big splashes will probably be atleast a month or two in.

Would hate to trade someone now and find out later one of the rookies can't fill the spot we expected them to.

douglast5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:37 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Not surprising. If it were an NHL-sized rink I'd say his chances are zero, at this point, but big ice plays to his strengths. I still think he's on the outside looking in, but it also wouldn't surprise me to see him go if the US wants a fast and mobile team.

Gibson is someone I'd be shocked to see, because he has zero NHL games under his belt, and really, how many would he realistically have by the time the rosters are in? Impressive as he is, I just don't see him making the cut without the pro experience.
In regard to Gibson - it was more that Burke indicated the US guys thought they had a future star than they were considering him for this Olympics.

He did mention Fowler and Bogosian as 2 guys who people might not expect to be there who would be considered. I would think at the rate Bogosian is improving he will definitely be there.

Old
06-30-2013, 09:40 PM
Exit Dose

The weird thing about that Schneider trade is that Luongo was the one that asked to be traded. Has he had a change of heart or is there another year left in that saga?

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:42 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

I don't think he had a change of heart. I think he was untradeable.

Old
06-30-2013, 09:42 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Skippy View Post
Can't say I'm too excited about this draft. We'll see if our home runs make it over the fence.
Theodore is going to be a solid OFD, will definitely make you guys forget about freakin Gardiner.

#17 Shea Theodore Offensive-Defenseman [2013]
Pros: Good frame. Awesome skater. Good first pass. Good shot. Good hockey sense. Underrated stickhandler.
Cons: Improve decision making when passing the puck in neutral zone. Could improve defensive positioning.
Potential: 2-4 spot OFD

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:50 PM
GreatBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by heusy_79 View Post
Hopefully one of those teams that have made many picks today (Columbus, Calgary, Edmonton etc) is willing to send us a 7th this year for a 7th next year. Still a couple intriguing names on the board, and the draft junky in me just wants to see at least one more pick!
We have already traded away our fifth and seventh round draft choices for 2014. The fifth round went to Pittsburgh for Lovejoy, and the seventh to Toronto for Steckel.

GreatBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:52 PM
duckaroosky
So sayeth Duckthulu

I don't think we made a big splash but I think we got some solid pieces that have the potential to help this team out a couple years from now.

duckaroosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:53 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
In regard to Gibson - it was more that Burke indicated the US guys thought they had a future star than they were considering him for this Olympics.

He did mention Fowler and Bogosian as 2 guys who people might not expect to be there who would be considered. I would think at the rate Bogosian is improving he will definitely be there.
Yeah, that makes sense. USA Hockey has to be salivating at the thought of what he could become, especially in a short tournament like the Olympics. A great goalie can get you a medal, and Gibson has serious pedigree.

I could see the US team going young on the blue line, passing up players like Orpik, Martin, and Yandle for young talent like Bogo and C4. If Fowler and Bogosian had another year or two, I could see them being close to locks because their improvement is really quite impressive. If the US management feels the same way, and they think their skills are well-suited to the big ice, they definitely need to be considered. The US had some success with leaning on some of their younger talent last time, and I think they have even more available this time around. Bogosian gets the nod over Fowler, if it comes to that, but Cam on big ice could be money for the US team, and I'm not sure they have anyone else who can skate like him.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:54 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Skippy View Post
Alan Quine. Give him #9 and tell him the other team is malaria.
Underrated joke.

I used to be more into studying for the draft than I do now. But our team just goes so against consensus that oftentimes there isn't a lot of info on the kids they pick. I'm not complaining because it seems to be working, but it does make me less motivated to spend money and time.

But it seems like skating is the theme. Which is kind of interesting because earlier it was the opposite. Lupul, Getz, Perry, Ryan were all guys where skating was slightly deficient. They felt that they had good conditioning coaches who could work on them to where it was no longer a hindrance. Now they seem to be going for the burners, so I guess the skating coach would just have more to work with.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:04 PM
Selanne138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Yeah, that makes sense. USA Hockey has to be salivating at the thought of what he could become, especially in a short tournament like the Olympics. A great goalie can get you a medal, and Gibson has serious pedigree.

I could see the US team going young on the blue line, passing up players like Orpik, Martin, and Yandle for young talent like Bogo and C4. If Fowler and Bogosian had another year or two, I could see them being close to locks because their improvement is really quite impressive. If the US management feels the same way, and they think their skills are well-suited to the big ice, they definitely need to be considered. The US had some success with leaning on some of their younger talent last time, and I think they have even more available this time around. Bogosian gets the nod over Fowler, if it comes to that, but Cam on big ice could be money for the US team, and I'm not sure they have anyone else who can skate like him.

Are you forgetting the skating skills of Jake Gardiner? THE BEST SKATER IN THE LEAGUE!

But what you said is pretty much why Burke said a guy like Fowler is someone who could get a spot on the team. The big ice couldn't possibly play more into Fowler's game and his skating ability could do wonders, even if it's as the 7th defenseman. Can't really say it better than Cam on the big ice could be money.

Selanne138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:15 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

I just saw the interview. He was almost beaming about Gibson. Or, at least, as much as you'll ever see from Burke.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:25 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Theodore is going to be a solid OFD, will definitely make you guys forget about freakin Gardiner.

Pros: Good frame. Awesome skater. Good first pass. Good shot. Good hockey sense. Underrated stickhandler.
Cons: Improve decision making when passing the puck in neutral zone. Could improve defensive positioning.
Alright. I guess we'll find out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
Underrated joke.

But it seems like skating is the theme. Which is kind of interesting because earlier it was the opposite. Lupul, Getz, Perry, Ryan were all guys where skating was slightly deficient. They felt that they had good conditioning coaches who could work on them to where it was no longer a hindrance. Now they seem to be going for the burners, so I guess the skating coach would just have more to work with.
I was proud of that one.

And yeah, we've kinda come full circle. I don't mind, especially in today's game, but it does worry me when I think about BM's tendency to identify issues, but overcorrect for them.

Old
06-30-2013, 10:33 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post

Oh my. An adult sized version of Sami Vatanen.

Eddie Shack is online now   Reply With Quote