HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kings 5th Round Pick #148 - Jonny Brodzinski

Old
06-30-2013, 08:16 PM
Sybil227

vCash: 500
Kings 5th Round Pick #148 - Jonny Brodzinski

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospect...htm?dpid=65243

http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog....nny-brodzinski

Apparently, we've re-drafted Dustin Penner...

Last edited by Sybil227: 06-30-2013 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Change Title
Sybil227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 08:21 PM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
Played with Dowd and Gravel at St. Cloud. Scouting staff have seen a lot of him then. If they take him after seeing a lot of him, I'm fine with it.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 08:23 PM
Peter James Bond

I saw him play a game at DU, back in November.

He ended up leading St Cloud St in goals, with 22 goals as a 19 yr old
Freshman!

Had 13 goals in his last 18 games:
http://www.wcha.com/men/statistics/players13.php?stcm23

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...005702013.html

http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog....nny-brodzinski

Last edited by Peter James Bond: 06-30-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Peter James Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 08:31 PM
Lead Role in a Cage

If I'm reading it right, Brodzinski was second in all of college hockey in +/- with 28 and tied fifth in goals with 22 (Mersch had 23). Not bad.

Lead Role in a Cage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:39 PM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 643
You guys love your Huskies.
I've heard it many times, he has an NHL ready shot. He also knows how to score goals and keep this in mind, out of those 22, just one was a PP goal. He was on Dowd's line for part of the year and I think he will be for most if not all of this year.

Rabid Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:47 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Husky View Post
You guys love your Huskies.
I've heard it many times, he has an NHL ready shot. He also knows how to score goals and keep this in mind, out of those 22, just one was a PP goal. He was on Dowd's line for part of the year and I think he will be for most if not all of this year.
Who does he remind you of?
Who's his favorite Muppet?

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 12:13 AM
Peter James Bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dingo View Post
Who does he remind you of?
Who's his favorite Muppet?
Dingo...2 weeks after the draft, we have your answer..."Jonny's favorite muppet is Mike Cammalleri!" Or, at least that is how one reviewed Jonny to play like at camp today. Sounds promising.

From another board:

Jonny Brodzinski: This was who was the #1 standout in the drills for me today. He is very quick, more quick than fast it looked like. I found it impressive he started a lot of the drills, being his first camp and all. His hand eye was exceptional deflecting shots Had an absolutely outstanding shot. Just blasted the puck under the bar every time, like a machine. He looked very shifty popping in and out of scoring areas and getting off his tremendous shot. Reminded me a lot of Mike Cammalleri, with his skating, shot, and size.

What I'm watching for: We know he can shoot, we know he can score goals. He led St. Cloud in goals last season. But will he start making a name for himself as a well rounded offensive player? Can he create plays too, and not just finish them? Also, he's a pretty small guy, so you would like to see him commit himself to the gym to give himself the best possible chance of succeeding against bigger competition.

Peter James Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 07:10 AM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 643
Small guy? Since when is 6'1" 200 small?

Rabid Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 09:08 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
When you were drafted by the Kings

6'1 200 is the new 6'3 220

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 09:42 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Could have meant lacking muscle and strength, since the does specify that Brodzinski needs to go to the gym to give him the best chance to succeed.

Other times, players can look smaller (or bigger) than they actually are. Not sure which one the author meant.

FWIW that was written by someone on LGK, just so you all know the source. I disagreed with a few of his points, but he still had some good observations and overall points. I'm definitely going to be following his reports in the future to come.

I forgot to say in the Wednesday post that I met Rusty Batch. It was great to meet you! Great discussion before the drills started.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2014, 06:42 PM
Marlowe Syn
R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D

vCash: 29943
Been watching Jonny Hockey's play in the North Star College Cup Tournament. You all got a real good player for a 5th pick. Played two games=three goals. He has a high velocity, high accuracy shot to him, that he loves to showcase. Leads a high powered Husky offense this year with 14 goals. Give him a couple more seasons at St Cloud to strengthen and round out his game.

Marlowe Syn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 01:22 AM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Cool, I have barely heard anything about the kid since he was drafted so that's good to hear.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 01:37 AM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
No one questions his shot. The thing is does he have the tools to fill out his game enough to even effectively use that shot at the NHL level? We'll see.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 04:21 PM
Marlowe Syn
R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D

vCash: 29943
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
No one questions his shot. The thing is does he have the tools to fill out his game enough to even effectively use that shot at the NHL level? We'll see.
Exactly, it will have to be a wait and see how he can adjust his game when he does move up to the next level. He is an all situation player with St Cloud, and Husky coach Bob Motzko is a very good teacher of the game. So he is in good hands in his development. Brodz already has a good hockey sense to him. He just knows where to be on the ice to put himself in position to score.
The only concern beside his strength might be that he mainly plays on Olympic sized ice. Although he had no problems finding space on the Xcel Center's ice. Small sampling I know, and the AHL and NHL are a whole different animal.
PS- Kevin Gravel also had a very impressive tournament.

Marlowe Syn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 04:48 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

Good to hear about Brodzinski.

And for the record, three St. Cloud guys being Kings draftees is no mere coincidence. I remember watching an interview with Kings scout Tony Gasparini where he said he's a proponent of the Huskies' program.

TwoForRoughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 05:11 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Exactly. Robbie Czarnik had such an incredible shot as an 18/19 year-old and did very little to develop his body for the professional game.

Old
01-26-2014, 05:19 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
Exactly. Robbie Czarnik had such an incredible shot as an 18/19 year-old and did very little to develop his body for the professional game.
The other player I think of who fits that description is Jeff Tambellini. He was a lethal sniper in Michigan and even before that in the BCHL and tore up the AHL as well, but for whatever reason it never translated to the NHL for whatever reason. Guess he just didn't find as much open space and time as he did playing at lower levels.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 05:30 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
The other player I think of who fits that description is Jeff Tambellini. He was a lethal sniper in Michigan and even before that in the BCHL and tore up the AHL as well, but for whatever reason it never translated to the NHL for whatever reason. Guess he just didn't find as much open space and time as he did playing at lower levels.
He's another great example, and I honestly considered using him too. Scentsy goes further back, I figured it was a bit too obscure.