HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Give this draft a grade!

View Poll Results: What grade would you give to this draft?
A+ 8 2.14%
A 24 6.42%
A- 57 15.24%
B+ 86 22.99%
B 100 26.74%
B- 46 12.30%
C+ 23 6.15%
C 15 4.01%
C- 11 2.94%
Fail 4 1.07%
Voters: 374. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-30-2013, 09:32 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Seb
Based on their names :

Players that will make the NHL
Michael McCarron
Zach Fucale

Players that will not make the NHL
Jacob De La Rose
Connor Crisp
Sven Andrighetto
Artturi Lehkonen
Jeremy Grégoire
Martin Reway

I voted A+ because I'm a biaised habs fan, but based on my advanced analysis, it's not going to be a very successful draft.

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:33 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Both guys have a strong element of upside. Crisp in the Bickell mode, big physical guy that makes a living 15 feet from the goalie. Reway has crazy skill, if the light goes on and he can dominate like Kane with speed/skill/agility.
Dominate like Kane? C'mon Carey...

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:34 PM
FireBergevin
ultimate warrior

B.

They reached a bit for Crispy, Ghetto and Reway, but were willing to wait until late in the 4th for Subban(which didn't work).

Not a fan of pf projects in the 1st round.

Mostly it's the drafting of Fucale which brings this draft to a respectable grade of B. He's going to be a very valuable asset should the Habs want to trade him in a few years, which is not something you can say about a lot of prospects in the 2nd round.

A lot of potential in this draft, but no Collbergs. Could turn out to be an A+ in a few years.

FireBergevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:36 PM
Mrb1p

C.

we got good players... But I think we sacrificed BPA for size. Not thrilled that we passed on Zykov so far out and Bjorkstrand.

Fucale is the best prospect out of this draft.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:37 PM
Captain Saku

I don't know how to rate this year's draft. Could be an A or could be the biggest failure of a draft since the TT era.

McCarron could become anywhere between a Blunden and a Lucic.
DLR is a smart player but not sure about his upside.
Fucale could become our most important pick of the draft, but again, a quebecois goalie in Montreal is not always a good mix.

Btw, I've been hearing since last year that this is a very deep draft. Well, last year we got Cllberg at almost the same position as DLR and I rate Collberg much better than DLR. We'll see but I'm not convinced that this was a deep draft.

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:38 PM
Cut and Dry Sports
@TA_Stephenson

Impossible. But just based on what these players have been thus far in their careers.

A- I suppose.

I really liked all of the picks except Crisp and Reway.

Cut and Dry Sports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:40 PM
LaurentHabs
Galchenyuk2Collberg

I think the problem here is that Bergevin is drafting as if we were a Top 5 NHL Team. He kept talking about drafting kids with character here. Example, Jacob De La Rose. MB mentionned how "He fits perfectly in the team of any championship contending team". Hes basically looking for character to build a solid bottom 6 for the future.

In theory that sounds amazing. He kept saying "Like we did in Chicago", but the problem is you can't compare Montreal and Chicago. RIGHT NOW, We aren't anywhere close to what Chicago is. If MB is thinking in 3-4 Years from now that we will have a Championship Calibre team, and that his last picks will mould in perfectly to give us the right combinasion so that we end up being similar to the BlackHawks, then amazing projection work by him and hats off.

But as of now, these picks don't really make sense. Our Top 6 still needs some tweaking for it to be a championship calibre offense. So its really hard to judge this draft. As of today, considering our current situation, I'll give it a B-. In 3-4 years from now, if we're a Championship Calibre team, I'd tend to go towards an A. On the other side, if we become a mediocre team, this draft could potentially go down to the C.

Only time will tell. But you could see that this draft was more a draft to fill in our needs with Depth and Size (For the most part). Compared to last year where we got multiple potential "Impact" players, this year seems more to be a "Role Filling" draft. Its sort of hard to explain what I'm trying to say here

LaurentHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:40 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
Based on their names :

Players that will make the NHL
Michael McCarron
Zach Fucale

Players that will not make the NHL
Jacob De La Rose
Connor Crisp
Sven Andrighetto
Artturi Lehkonen
Jeremy Grégoire
Martin Reway

I voted A+ because I'm a biaised habs fan, but based on my advanced analysis, it's not going to be a very successful draft.
DLR has a good chance at making the NHL, as does Lehkonen.

Old
06-30-2013, 09:41 PM
E = CH²

Don't know the prospects so I don't feel like I can rate this.

I just think it's silly to say we addressed needs. Should never draft based on needs because needs change by the time the players actually make it.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:42 PM
Ginu

I gave an A because of what seems to have been Bergevin's PURPOSE going into the draft.

Bergevin said last year's draft was about scoring, this year's draft was about addressing size and character. He wasn't looking for a Zykov or a Mantha, he was looking for guys who complemented Collberg, Bozon and Hudon.

His quote: "Certain players get you into the playoffs, other players get you through the playoffs." I can't say I disagree with him.

I think Bergevin saw that we had a glaring hole in our prospect pool and felt he had to address it. I can't say I disagree with him. With limited number of contracts, I don't see a reason to draft another Collberg when the holes in our lineup can't be filled in UFA. This shows faith in who we drafted last year. I'm really excited that we finally know what it takes to win, that to me makes way more of a difference than one draft.

Our goal was not to draft BPA, it was to draft character guys with the highest upside to complement what we already have.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:42 PM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Skorpion View Post
DLR has a good chance at making the NHL, as does Lehkonen.
I guess you missed the part where he says BASED ON THEIR NAMES.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:43 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
Dominate like Kane? C'mon Carey...
Reway has crazy skill. Comes from a poor family and was never big on off season training or any kind of structure. True diamond in the rough.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:44 PM
The Russian General
Força Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurentHabs View Post
I think the problem here is that Bergevin is drafting as if we were a Top 5 NHL Team. He kept talking about drafting kids with character here. Example, Jacob De La Rose. MB mentionned how "He fits perfectly in the team of any championship contending team". Hes basically looking for character to build a solid bottom 6 for the future.

In theory that sounds amazing. He kept saying "Like we did in Chicago", but the problem is you can't compare Montreal and Chicago. RIGHT NOW, We aren't anywhere close to what Chicago is. If MB is thinking in 3-4 Years from now that we will have a Championship Calibre team, and that his last picks will mould in perfectly to give us the right combinasion so that we end up being similar to the BlackHawks, then amazing projection work by him and hats off.

But as of now, these picks don't really make sense. Our Top 6 still needs some tweaking for it to be a championship calibre offense. So its really hard to judge this draft. As of today, considering our current situation, I'll give it a B-. In 3-4 years from now, if we're a Championship Calibre team, I'd tend to go towards an A. On the other side, if we become a mediocre team, this draft could potentially go down to the C.

Only time will tell. But you could see that this draft was more a draft to fill in our needs with Depth and Size (For the most part). Compared to last year where we got multiple potential "Impact" players, this year seems more to be a "Role Filling" draft. Its sort of hard to explain what I'm trying to say here
There's a reason IMO he wanted to trade for a top 10 draft pick : he probably planned that the Habs would suck for at least one or two seasons, not finish second.

But that's my opinion.

The Russian General is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:46 PM
charlie

vCash: 358
Quote:

And that is why when Marc Bergevin was asked about Vinny and about all other ufa and trade talks he said. "We are concentrating on the draft for now, we will look at our other options later, but for now it is the draft we are working on.

charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
thom

They have a future star goalie but for the rest not sure.I was hoping Molson would try to get droin but they probaly have another excuse.The grade is a c but we have to wait 4 or 5 years to see who truly makes it

thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ginu

Quote:

That's a great reply to what I just posted above. His strategy going in wasn't to fill out his top 6 obviously. He wanted to get the best guys with size and character who have upside. I think it guarantees he's going hard after Lecavalier as well.

Pacioretty, Lecavalier, Galchenyuk, Eller, Plekanec and Collberg is a pretty decent top 6 without any of these guys becoming a top 6. Hopefully Galchenyuk is our game breaker.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:49 PM
KingHab

suprised people on the main draft think MTL has done very well

KingHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:50 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Reway has crazy skill. Comes from a poor family and was never big on off season training or any kind of structure. True diamond in the rough.
Comparing him to the Conn Smythe two time champ is crazy... not even in the same sentence. You know better, CP.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:51 PM
charlie

vCash: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingHab View Post
Drafting the #1 goalie will do that for you!

charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:52 PM
BigDaddyLurch
I fought the Law...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingHab View Post
We did do very well...we addressed areas in our prospect pool that were lacking; size, grit, goaltending, LWers (we have far more quality righty prospects than lefties at wing)...that's a success in my opinion...

BigDaddyLurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:52 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

B+

The idea is not about what did we address...but were the picks where they should have been, do we like the players chosen etc...

McCarron: Could pay off for sure. Do answer a need. Though people expecting a great fighter will be dissapointed. Still, I will believe that #25 was a little too soon. But potential a very good and much needed player for us.

De La Rose: This is where the draft score takes a blow. I don't see the offensive upside in this kid. And there was, and will be better players chosen after as I named already. Yet...if the guy DO improve his offensive skills...you cannot hate a 6'2'' near to be 200lbs guy that works hard, is great defensively and could score. Yet, I am not convinced.

Fucale: Well at 36, I'm fine with that. We could have waited to see if Desrosiers and Jarry could have been added later on but both guys would have been gone before we talk. So going with Fucale at 36 was pretty good and wise.

Lehkonen: All skills. Great numbers in a tough league. Rookie of the year and all. No problem with any of that. But his concussion problems has to be a big concern. Kid hasn't even started to play in the toughest league yet. Of course, some will say he THEN have time to know how to protect himself but still....Yet, I had Lehkonen on my list so he's a fine pick.

Crisp: Probaby the strangest Timmins pick since Missiaen. Wow, didn't see that one coming. As far as us amateurs, you just wonder why the heck so soon. They had to LOVE him and had to really be certain that others were loving him to. Somehow, you see him and you think of the ex-Bruisn pick that was traded for Jagr in Cody Payne...but Payne was just a 5th rounder. So really really strange pick and despite the need...as of now, makes no sense to me. Especially not with the guys still available at that rank. Hayden, Buchnevich, Duclair, Verhaeghe, Lodge, Cehlarik.....Wow, just a bad pick on my end. But we will closely look his progression. If he starts racking the points next year...we will revised our opinion...

Andrighetto: Well mixed feelings. CLEARLY a favorite of mine. Loved the guy. But again....THAT soon? Would have been neat to add Downing or Labbé, another tough d-man in the ranks would have been great. But I like the kid.....So it's not, in that case, a question of we'll see if he's talented...he is. It's a question of was there really some takers before at least pick 4?

Reway: Some other mixed feeling. Liked the kid when I saw him. TONS of potential and talent. I would put him in the "needs a toolbox" category. You see Reway and you can totally think of our ex-Habs prospect in Juraj Mikus. Type of kid that will look great next week in the development camp. But we'll see in game situations. Can't wait to see his progression. But geez...Vincent Dunn was so much more in the cards for me......and to see him going to Ottawa makes me cringe a little more....

Grégoire: Just an awesome value at that rank. Nothing else to say. Great pick.

But what doesn't make me want to give an A to that draft is that some players seems to be chosen way too soon for the sake of needs. I believed we missed in a couple of great picks. Really do. I thought we would have done better with the numerous picks we had. But it's not an awful draft, far from it. But no Dauphin and Carrier will hurt amongst a whole lot of others.

Note to bashers: This is just a fun exercice. IN NO WAY does that represent how it will play out in the end. If Button has the right to have his scorecard, so do we. Let's hope it pans out as an A in the end. McCarron and De La Rose have in them to change the face of this draft. Let's hope they do.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:53 PM
ForeverHabs97

Really disappointed we drafted McCarron at 25.. B- but this could easily turn into an A type draft down the road when the prospects start developping.

Timmins slipped out on RDS that they wanted to move up to grab another player but "could not find another dance partner." Maybe they were trying to get someone like Rychel who plays with Brady Vail (one of our prospects).

ForeverHabs97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:54 PM
MDN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
That's a great reply to what I just posted above. His strategy going in wasn't to fill out his top 6 obviously. He wanted to get the best guys with size and character who have upside. I think it guarantees he's going hard after Lecavalier as well.

Pacioretty, Lecavalier, Galchenyuk, Eller, Plekanec and Collberg is a pretty decent top 6 without any of these guys becoming a top 6. Hopefully Galchenyuk is our game breaker.
Don't forget Kristo

MDN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:55 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

B+

Not the "sexy draft" we had last year, where the Habs picked HFBoards sweethearts throughout the draft, just about. That said, tons of potential.

I was hoping for McCarron and De La Rose in round 2, so count me in as one of the happy fans. Was hoping for Rychel or Horvat in round 1 (pipe dreams, yes).

Fucale, I would not have wanted in round 1, but once round 2 rolled in, I felt like he was the right pick. Craig Button thinks the world of him, and we needed a goalie in the system. Worst case, we trade him out later.

I don't know much about Lehkonen, but again, Button seemed fond of him. Andrighetto was a name I knew, so that was cool, as was Gregoire. Don't know about Reway at all, and Crisp seemed to be the much hated pick of the draft, but again, I defer to Montreal's scouting staff.

Maybe it'll turn out to be like the 2010 draft, where we got Gallagher, Ellis...or 2011 where we got Nygren and Dietz. Who knows?

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:03 PM
Lshap

Quote:

You're right about these draft picks probably not becoming top-six players, but really, top-six was never in the cards in this year's draft. Montreal didn't have a top-pick and probably never had a chance to trade for one. I'm sure Bergevin tried to trade up, just like every other GM probably did, but nobody was trading their best picks, except NJ. This one was all about depth, and with four picks in the first 55 -- all before Boston had their first pick -- Montreal may have advanced further than most teams.

Our top-six will have to be improved organically as our best prospects develop, and added to with a trade or two plus a possible UFA.

The obvious bottom line: Absolutely no way to predict a damn thing right now. And no way to assign a grade to it.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote