HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Round 1, Pick #11: Samuel Morin, Defense, Rimouski (QMJHL)

Old
06-30-2013, 09:55 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
They reached with Morin. With that being said, the Flyers know the QMJHL really well and if they selected Morin, there's a reason for it. Like I said, we won't know what the Flyers have with Morin until 5 to 6 years from now. It's a given he's going back to the QMJHL and that he's going to be working on the offensive side of his game.

We'll see what he becomes. The good news is that he's a big, mobile, and mean defender with a great hockey IQ and work ethic.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 09:58 PM
Haute Couturier

Supposedly he impressed scouts with his U-18 play, but he was only playing under 13 minutes a game so it's a red flag to me that he couldn't even be trusted with top minutes. The dmen logging the big minutes were all taken after him in the draft.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:00 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I think Holmgren saw the board far better than any of us.

We all wanted to move back, but in retrospect, defensemen were FLYING off the board at a pace akin to that ridiculous top 10 rush of blueliners last year.
three freakin dmen were taken before us. how the hell is 30% "flying off the board"???? Come on now, lets keep it real here and not make **** up.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:02 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Another Holmgren quote...

Lou Lam pulled that one out of his butt ...kudos to one of the best GM's in the league
??? Seriously??? If we knew HERE that Schneider was being shopped then why the hell didn't/wouldn't Holmgren at least pick up the phone??? If it's true that homer said "Lou oulled that one out of his butt" and Homer was clueless that this was the asking price for Schneider then he really does need to go. That's just unacceptable to NOT at least inquire about someone that the freaking MEDIA has been reporting as a player being shopped for the last few days leading up to the draft.

Old
06-30-2013, 10:04 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

I reallllly wanted Morrissey, and I wasnt happy with this pick but my mind has changed. Morin has the thing syou simply cannot teach (ginormous size, skating, hockey IQ). The finer points of his game will be worked out with the likes of Pronger helping him, look what it did to Luke Schenn.

Everybody needs to chill the **** out about this pick. Hes already an above average player in his own zone, and his size is something you dont see everyday. Add in his skating and you have something...The kid seems coachable too, thats always a big factor. I think with some more seasoning his offensive game should pick up, along with his weight and his willingness to ingage even more physically. This kid is going to be something special...just watch

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:07 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
They reached with Morin. With that being said, the Flyers know the QMJHL really well and if they selected Morin, there's a reason for it. Like I said, we won't know what the Flyers have with Morin until 5 to 6 years from now. It's a given he's going back to the QMJHL and that he's going to be working on the offensive side of his game.

We'll see what he becomes. The good news is that he's a big, mobile, and mean defender with a great hockey IQ and work ethic.
I agree 100%. I too think we reached a bit with this pick. Nothing we can do about it now though so lets hope for the best. Our defense should be better with this pick. Maybe we still have a hole at the top but we should still be better overall. Let's hope for a better and HEALTHIER season next year.

Old
06-30-2013, 10:09 PM
phlocky

also, not to beat a dead horse, but if we HADN'T gone on that winning streak at the end of the year (something like winning 10 of our last 11) we WOULD have been picking at #4 and gotten Seth Jones. I just wanted to throw that out there and piss everyone off just a little more

Old
06-30-2013, 10:15 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
three freakin dmen were taken before us. how the hell is 30% "flying off the board"???? Come on now, lets keep it real here and not make **** up.

There was one tier 1 defenseman:
Jones

There were two tier 2 defensemen:
Nurse, Ristolainen

All were gone by 8.

There were six tier 3 defensemen:
Morin, Morrissey, Pulock, Zadorov, Mueller, Hagg

All but Hagg were gone by 18. Trading back into the 20's would've left us with a worse draft class.

There were seven tier 4 defensemen:
Theodore, McCoshen, Bigras, Santini, Heatherington, Bowey, Dahlstrom

All were gone by 53.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:22 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:

Jones

Nurse, Ristolainen

All were gone by 8.

All but Hagg were gone by 18. Trading back into the 20's would've left us with a worse draft class.

All were gone by 53.
I will concede that this draft played out in the worst imaginable manner for the Flyers. Even Nichushkin going 10 was the extra kick in the balls.

Broad Street Elite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:25 PM
phlocky

Quote:

Jones

Nurse, Ristolainen

All were gone by 8.

All were gone by 53.
your statement was still WRONG!!! Dmen were "flying off the pbard" as you state, that's just false. There is no way in hell at the time of our pick that you could state that dmen were "flying off the board". Hindsight is ALWAYS 20/20. You can't sit here AFTER the fact and say he didn't reach and that he had "forsight because dmen were flying off the board". Hell if you want ot use hindsight then we should have selected Shea Weber back in 3002 instead of Richards seeing how Weber didn't get drafted until the 2nd round.

At the time of the pick and who was off the board at that time, there is no way in hell you can say "It was a good pick".

The fact remains that homer didn't even call Nashville to even inquire about trading up. The fact that Nashville made their selection so fast meant that they WEREN'T in talks with anyone about them trading back. Homer SHOULD have made a bold move to try and get the ONLY dman with the realistic potential to become an impact player on the blueline and he didn't. That's a failure on his behalf.

Old
06-30-2013, 10:25 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
I will concede that this draft played out in the worst imaginable manner for the Flyers. Even Nichushkin going 10 was the extra kick in the balls.
Hagg falling was literally the only awesome thing for the Flyers (note: this was only looked at hours after the draft not years and will have to be revisited half a decade from now to mean anything)

Old
06-30-2013, 10:27 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
your statement was still WRONG!!! Dmen were "flying off the pbard" as you state, that's just false. There is no way in hell at the time of our pick that you could state that dmen were "flying off the board". Hindsight is ALWAYS 20/20. You can't sit here AFTER the fact and say he didn't reach and that he had "forsight because dmen were flying off the board". Hell if you want ot use hindsight then we should have selected Shea Weber back in 3002 instead of Richards seeing how Weber didn't get drafted until the 2nd round.

At the time of the pick and who was off the board at that time, there is no way in hell you can say "It was a good pick".

Let's say we trade 11 with Calgary for 22 and 28. That's probably a best case scenario right?

Who do we end up with?

Hagg and Theodore?

Morin is better than anyone in tier 4. Trust me.

Old
06-30-2013, 10:27 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:

Dude, you realize there is chatter on the floor, right? Holmgren was keenly aware that defenders were going to be scooped up, and he decided not to trade down because he would risk losing out on his guy.

I don't even understand what you're saying.

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:29 PM
LegionOfDoom91

The Morin pick was a bit of a reach but not as drastic as some are making out to be.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:30 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Dude, you realize there is chatter on the floor, right? Holmgren was keenly aware that defenders were going to be scooped up, and he decided not to trade down because he would risk losing out on his guy.

I don't even understand what you're saying.
Morin is a 2nd pairing guy. He's NOT a game changer. There were a LOT of other dmen in this draft that were comparable to him and taking him at 11 wasn't a smart move. THAT'S the point.

Old
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Would most of you preferred Morrissey?

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
The Morin pick was a bit of a reach but not as drastic as some are making out to be. He was ranked 15th by TSN.
He's was my 5th defenseman. Hagg was my 7th (Mueller in the middle and Morrissey at 4. Zadorov was 8.)

I don't think we did too bad.

In retrospect, we were all just really pissed that we missed out on Nurse and Ristolainen.

However, the same reasons we wanted them at 11 are the same reasons they got scooped up at 7 and 8.

Old
06-30-2013, 10:31 PM
phlocky

Quote:
The Morin pick was a bit of a reach but not as drastic as some are making out to be.

The difference between him and a dman ranked in the early to mid 20's was not significant enough to be worried about moving back. THAT'S the point of this.

Old
06-30-2013, 10:31 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
The Morin pick was a bit of a reach but not as drastic as some are making out to be. He was ranked 15th by TSN.
In the 10-25 range, there were no reaches. This draft, like Chris alluded to, was divided into tiers.

Tier 1 was the big four.
Tier 2 was Lindholm/Monahan/Nichushkin/Nurse/Risto
Tier 3 was basically everyone until Shinkaruk

Everything in tier 3 would have pretty much been interchangeable I think.

Old
06-30-2013, 10:32 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Morin is a 2nd pairing guy. He's NOT a game changer. There were a LOT of other dmen in this draft that were comparable to him and taking him at 11 wasn't a smart move. THAT'S the point.
His upside is #1 defenseman. No one picked after him has that upside.

FLYguy3911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 10:33 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
The difference between him and a dman ranked in the early to mid 20's was not significant enough to be worried about moving back. THAT'S the point of this.
Wait, so you're saying Holmgren should have judged a trade based on rankings? You realize we would have ended up with a much ****tier defender if we did that, right? We might have even been forced to take Hagg in the first round if we traded down to the 20s.

What the hell would the point of that be? Especially with the gift of hindsight, how can you complain about how that worked out when you know it would have been worse had we traded down?

Old
06-30-2013, 10:34 PM
Haute Couturier

The problem with Morin is that his late rise was due to his playoffs - a whopping 7 game sample. Also his play at the U18 where he was playing less than 13:00 minutes a game was apparently a factor. That's it. We're riding our 11th choice on the hopes that the 7 game sample is where his real potential lies. That's insane, but what do we expect when our owner said Steve Mason's 7 games is not a small sample? This is too high risk of a pick at 11.

Old
06-30-2013, 10:34 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchennSational1022 View Post
It's a hard thing to answer.

I like Morrissey as the better prospect and a better overall fit to what the Flyers need...

However, knowing that we got Hagg changes things.

I don't like any of the SDDs in my tier 4, which really means that I don't like Santini.

Morin + Hagg

is better than

Morrissey + Santini

if we were looking to get both a potential PMD and potential SDD.

Morrissey + Morin

would have made this my favorite draft ever.

Oh well.

Old
06-30-2013, 10:35 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
I think it was. Scouts think it was. GMs (by their drafting) thought it was.

And Holmgren, and his front office/staff, thought it was.

Old
06-30-2013, 10:35 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchennSational1022 View Post
I did. When Risto was taken Morrissey was my guy.