HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Winners/Losers of the 2013 Draft (pick selections)

Old
06-30-2013, 11:12 PM
Wingsfan2965*

vCash: 500
I really don't even know what to think about Detroit's draft.

Mantha and Nastasiuk are pretty good picks, but I don't feel highly about them right away like I have about their previous first and second round picks over the last 3-4 years.

Tyler Bertuzzi is a real head-scratcher, I dunno what happened there. I don't expect much of it. Detroit made a brilliant move trading down two picks and getting #58 out of it, and then they kinda just threw it back away.

Nylen sounds like a Hakan pick, as does Melen. Should be interesting to see what both do, as usually Hakan picks guys with lots of talent but a lot of needed development.

The rest are all meh. Huge guys probably picked to beef up the system and hope one of them becomes somebody.

If nothing else, going in with the strategy of picking giants shows the organization was comfortable with the talent level of the prospect pool going into the draft.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:17 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
Not the draft that landed the Canucks the Sedins?

I think you're expectations are a bit too high.
Well over a decade ago.

Kesler draft was a decade ago.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:20 PM
Moskau

As a Sabres fan I'm reluctant to acknowledge them as either winners or losers in any draft because I can tell you that since I started heavily following the draft in 2002 or so that Buffalo has been listed as winners by the majority of posters here every single year in these threads.

Something happens with Buffalo prospects where they go on to have great junior careers and some even play great in the AHL but they hit a brick wall developmentally when they need to take the next step. It's the cool thing to blame it all on Lindy Ruff and I'm sure he was most of the reason (sorry Dallas fans) but I think a lot of it has been terrible planning and management by the organization in general.

I liked their draft today but I would have liked to have gone with a more proven goalscorer with one of the 2nds. Erne or Zykov would have been great but oh well.

Anyways I liked Montreal (as usual), Calgary and Detroit.

Moskau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
StringerBell

Winners

Buffalo: Just completely stocked their prospect pool. Tons of great prospects.

Columbus: 5 very strong picks in the top 90 and a guy with great upside in Soburg in the 6th.

Vancouver: A team with one of the worst prospect pools coming into the weekend adds two high end guys. Solid picks in Cassels and Subban too.

Calgary: Love all 3 of their 1sts. I understand their fans wanting Shinkaruk, but Poirier is a great prospect in his own right. Klimchuk at 28 has the potential to be the steal of the draft.

Winnipeg: Morrissey has the potential to be something special, I see him developing similarly to Kevin Shattenkirk. Petan, Comrie, Lodge and Lipon were great gets too.

Losers

San Jose Came in with 4 picks in the top 60 and came out with a good, but not great D prospect in Mueller and Boudreau. Had the potential to do a lot more.

Anaheim: This is purely subjective, but I didn't like the Theodore or Sorensen picks. Thought there were better players on the board.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 200
Buffalo and Vancouver

JMcLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:25 PM
Jacob582

Nurse, Roy, Yakimov, Slepyshev, Houck, Platzer, and Chase

The new untouchables.......

Jacob582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:26 PM
Gabrielor
14-15 Goal: McDavid

I liked Calgary's draft a lot.

Gabrielor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Habiton

Not gonna include MTL here as I won't be objective lol

Winners: Lumbous (Kerby is one of my favs), NJ (the trade was incredible)

Losers: Calgary (past the first round they forgot how to draft), Sharks

Habiton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Machinehead
H8ers Gonna H8

I'm mixed on Vancouver. I loved everything else they did but I really hated Horvat at 9th.

06-30-2013, 11:31 PM
Flames 1st pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habiton View Post

Losers: Calgary (past the first round they forgot how to draft), Sharks
Huh? Did you bother to look?

Eric Roy and the Russian kid are not bad picks for the 5th and 7th.

What else do you expect them to do with the picks they have?

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:46 PM
Face Wash

Who did the best with their picks this year? The LA Kings of course... they traded their first rounder to get Jeff Carter and a Stanley Cup. Isn't that what we're all doing here after all?

Face Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:46 PM
Saving Greiss

Outside of teams that didn't pick Top 5...

Winners

Two potential studs in Ristolainen and Zadorov with their first two picks.

Addressed size up front - something they needed - and added goaltending depth - something you can never have too much of.

Added two promising players (Horvat, Shinkaruk) to a pool that sorely needed some.

Just okay

I thought they made quality use of their picks in the first round.

Like the decision to go with Monahan. Hard to say whether their other two selections (Poirier, Klimchuk) will turn out to be smart choices.

Theodore and Sorensen are under the radar selections.

They've been criticized for neglecting defence and toughness. So credit to them for selecting Nurse, amongst others.

Losers

Who?

They made the best move of the day (imo), but in regards to actual drafting...

*There are some other teams that I am forgetting, but these are my early thoughts*

Saving Greiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:52 PM
Kranix

vCash: 471
Jersey is the clear winner right now. They drafted Corey Schneider at #9

Kranix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:56 PM
BUFSABES1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chieftans22 View Post
Still remember before this season or before last season Buffalo made a bunch of moves and got a new owner and expected to be a contender in the NE. Lots of people had them 1st in the division
we still beat your boys pretty handily in the regular season. Boston was pretty bad for quite a while man. I remember counting an easy win on the schedule 4 or 5 years ago against the Bruins. Things change quick in the NHL. Don't get too cocky.

BUFSABES1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:57 PM
ncones

what guides my judgement: my focus is on players with a potential high-end ceiling, so I'm all over teams going for long-term projects with big risk. Also like younger players (on average less developed, so they're underrated when people compare a younger player with a more developed older player) + hockey sense/puck skills. Try to focus on overall draft strategy vs. individual picks, and on getting value for your pick - I really like Domi and Dauphin as prospects per what I emphasize, but I can't say they were great value picks. They went exactly where they probably should've, all considering.

My fav. drafts:

NYR: Buchnevich and Duclair have mid-1st round pure offensive upside, despite many other questions that makes them risks. Tambellini has a little less upside, but I'd be comfortable with him in the early 2nd. That's how you do a draft without a 1st or 2nd round - shoot for the highest-ceiling players with multiple 3rds and hope you hit a homer with one of them.

WAS: again, I'm a sucker for high-ceiling risky picks. Burakowsky, Bowey, and Sanford are all fantastic potential value for where they went

BUF: teams with lots of picks almost always get labelled winners just because they have a noticeable influx of prospects, not because any of their specific picks were good value. Hurley at 38 and Bailey at 52 put Buffalo's draft ahead of other "quantity" draft classes - I think both of them have mid-late 1st round offensive ceilings, despite being big projects. Compare to CBJ's "quantity" draft: I like plenty of their players, and I'm sure a lot will be solid NHLers, but do any of them - even Wennberg and Rychel - have the high-end offensive tools of some guys Buffalo got in the 2nd?

ncones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:00 AM
ToNedOuT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
The biggest winner has to be the Montreal Canadiens by far. Holy **** did they hit home runs on pretty much their first 3-4 picks. I hate it as a Leaf fan but how can you hate on their draft. I love De La Rose and Fucale as prospects, ****
If you read some posts on the Habs board you'd think we had the worst draft.

ToNedOuT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:02 AM
ottawa
go habs go

Surprised to see MTL getting recognition here...if you guys head over to our board you would think the habs had their worst ever draft in history. Everyone was so negative about everything (except for maybe the Fucale pick)

07-01-2013, 12:04 AM
Prairie Habs

Winners:

Gonna go with the crowd here and say CBus, Buffalo, and Montreal

Loser:

Edmonton. I really like Nurse as a pick for them but if they have Yakimov and Yakupov on the same team Bob Cole won't be allowed to do their games and he is a beauty.

Prairie Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:06 AM
Terrence
Homeless

vCash: 1026
I liked Winnipeg's draft.

Terrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:07 AM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Not going to mention my own team, but I like how you guys are noticing our crazy changes.

Lumbus did awesome, San Jose - yikes.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:08 AM
ncones

and though I'm a Feaster apologista, the hate for going slightly off the public board by taking Poirer over Shinkaruk is bizarre. Poirer was a very fast late-riser based off of his playoff performance, and has not-insignificant offensive potential (though I think it's fair to argue Shinkaruk might have close to elite offensive potential, while Poirer is just good). Poirer apparently beats Shinkaruk exponentially in terms of makeup, which is what you'd want to focus on in terms of maximizing that offensive potential.

You can't hate Feaster for screwing up hockey ops decisions, and then hit him for not drafting Shinkaruk because the dude is from Calgary and TSN had him listed higher.

If you're going to hit Feaster, do it on the ridiculous Kanzig pick in the 3rd round. That pick is like the worst attributes of a Sutter draft - heart-and-soul, big, tough fighting low-ceiling Westerner! (with no puck skills) - hypertrophied by a million. Bizarre, considering the last few years of the Flames focusing on hockey intelligence and puck skills over size and physical tools as their overall draft strategy (Baertschi, Gaudreau, Jankowski, Granlund, even guys like Kulak and Culkin). Just reads so badly like the club desperately and pathetically overreacting to having a soft club for one lockout-shortened year.

ncones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:08 AM
Prairie Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
Surprised to see MTL getting recognition here...if you guys head over to our board you would think the habs had their worst ever draft in history. Everyone was so negative about everything (except for maybe the Fucale pick)
Our fans are idiots. We complain both when we draft small guys with high offensive ceilings and big guys with lower offensive ceilings. If you a guy is big with a high offensive ceiling he isn't available at 25+. What you can only hope is that our scouting department has done their job and a see later on that some of the flaws have been overblown or at least able to be worked on.

Prairie Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:11 AM
danisonfire
2313 Saint Catherine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Habs View Post
Winners:

Gonna go with the crowd here and say CBus, Buffalo, and Montreal

Loser:

Edmonton. I really like Nurse as a pick for them but if they have Yakimov and Yakupov on the same team Bob Cole won't be allowed to do their games and he is a beauty.
(after Cole confuses the two 10 times straight).

danisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:12 AM
Sterling31
YNWA

Love the Bailey pick for Buffalo.
Can never go wrong picking a hometown boy, especially right where I thought he would go.

Buffalo made some nice picks- seemed be on the right side of the 'falling' prospects and ready to snag them.

Montreal did well for themselves with the multiple 2nds.
Clearly they were targeting McCarron; not that I know what the teams between 25-34 would do - But I thought they could land the guy with their early 2nd pick - pull a Detroit and get a team wanting to move into the 1st.

But overall MTL got some decent fallers and took advantage of it.

Sterling31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:12 AM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 781
You can't really determine winners and losers right now. In 5 years? Sure. But right now, all you can really do is give assessments on how you think some teams did with the guys they got. You really got to know your prospects to have a good opinion on how teams did.

BigTuna49 is online now   Reply With Quote