HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Winners/Losers of the 2013 Draft (pick selections)

Old
06-30-2013, 11:17 PM
AG
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
I gotta tell you guys I really didn't think I was going to finish the night with positive thoughts about my team after the trade this morning. I did not want Schneider to be traded but I'm going to have to accept that he was. Aside from that, considering the picks Vancouver had to work with I thought they drafted beautifully but that's just my (homer) opinion. Only time will tell.

I loved Buffalo's moves. They were all over the place and just when you thought they were done they'd pop back up. I thought Montreal was great too.

Toronto made some great moves on this draft day aswell. Congrats to New Jersey. Lock Schneids down for a longer contract and you guys are set. Columbus was good. Edmonton wasn't bad at all. Feaster didn't screw up nearly as much as I had imagined. New York was great. This was a really deep draft, there was so much talent to go around.

AG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:20 PM
Behn Wilson

Thought Nashville hit the Motherlode getting Seth Jones at #4.

Didn't follow draft that close but I like the moves Hawks made to free up cap space and being able to sign Bickell. Will miss both Bolland & Frolik and Toronto & Winnipeg each landed themselves one helluva player.

I like the Hawks pick of Andrew Shaw, Jr. at #30 also.

Behn Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:22 PM
dannyboy8920
I cheer for Losers

Just looked at Vancouver.

They did very well too. I like the later picks.

I wanted the Leafs to get Cole Cassels in the later rounds - Very very solid pick there.

Watch for him to have a big year with the Gens (if they don't trade him) He has the 'breakout and wonder why he fell to the 3rd potential', when he makes the NHL. Smoooth as silk skater, accepted and played a great 2-way role with the Gens behind 2 NHL bound Centers; He will get his minutes and double his stats. (I will go to the bank on that one)

dannyboy8920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:22 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by DYaeger89 View Post
I liked Calgary's draft a lot.
I thought they did well too - surprised there isn't more love for them.

Buffalo got Ristolainen tho, my favorite prospect, so they win too.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:23 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Really liked what Montreal did with their picks.

NJ wins big here.

I liked what the Flames did but i'm bias of course.

Columbus and Buffalo also deserve a mention.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:25 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
As a Sabres fan I'm reluctant to acknowledge them as either winners or losers in any draft because I can tell you that since I started heavily following the draft in 2002 or so that Buffalo has been listed as winners by the majority of posters here every single year in these threads.

Something happens with Buffalo prospects where they go on to have great junior careers and some even play great in the AHL but they hit a brick wall developmentally when they need to take the next step. It's the cool thing to blame it all on Lindy Ruff and I'm sure he was most of the reason (sorry Dallas fans) but I think a lot of it has been terrible planning and management by the organization in general.
Ive done some analysis on buffalo drafting in the first 3 rounds since 2002 by breaking it down into 3 year periods giving them a point for top 9/top6/starting goalie.

The idea of a cap at the AHL is not the case unless you look at those in rounds 4 or later.

An top 16 team player coming out as a free agent/4th round or later is a bonus (there have been missed picks)

1999-2001 (2) Pominville, Roy
2002-2004 (6 2 misses) Ballard, Paille, Vanek, MacArthur, Stafford, Sekera
2005-2007 (1.5 6 misess) Weber, Enroth (hasnt proven he is a full time starter thus the 0.5), Tropp is unproven still.
2008-2010 (6, 3 unsure, 1 miss) Myers, Ennis, Kassian/Hodgson, McNabb, Foligno, Pysyk
2011-2013 (8???) Armia, Catenacci, Grigorenko, Girgensons, McCabe, Kea, Ristolainen, Zadorov, Compher, Hurley, Bailey, Baptiste

2011-2013 is unproven and pure speculation. 5 1sts, 4 2nds, 3 3rds

What has hurt them now comes out of the 2005-2007 drafts.

A couple of reasons....

1. 2006 and 2007 they were in the bottom of the draft.
2. Under the owner at that time then they had cut much of the scouting staff
3. deadline deals moved some draft picks.

2005-2007 players now would be around 24-26...players peak years....looking at Buffalo's roster they are void of players in that age range they drafted.

Why have prospects not panned out...part of it is Ruff. He has been brutal on young players.

But as I mention in the above list they players have had NHL success.

Part of the problem has been getting top notch talent. This year was the highest pick since Buffalo picked Vanek in 2003 at #5. Most of the other NHL teams have had top 3 picks in the draft.

Last edited by Djp: 06-30-2013 at 11:33 PM.
Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:30 PM
Ditchweed

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
Surprised to see MTL getting recognition here...if you guys head over to our board you would think the habs had their worst ever draft in history. Everyone was so negative about everything (except for maybe the Fucale pick)
Fucale was a good pick but is a long term developing choice and will add nothing but backup if Price stays/plays healthy. McCarron wants his degree and committed/will play at U of M for probably 3 plus years to get it. They don't add to the immediate and will only help long term at best. That has to take the edge off the draft a bit.

Ditchweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
I hate the idea of winners and losers hours after a draft, it takes years before we know who really "won". Just because one team drafts players that TSN liked doesn't mean anything. At one time Karlsson was a bad pick at 15 and Couture was a reach at 9 while Cherepanov was a "steal" at 17 along with Esposito. If the past shows us anything it is that every team has a different list and is looking for different things. I personally am very happy with how Calgary picked in the first and am looking forward to seeing how these players develop.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

The Buffalo board seems to be mad at a) not moving up to get Lindholm, b) the Sekera trade, c) not moving Vanek/Miller (even though they have all summer to move them).

But the actual players they selected...Regier certainly has the rebuild going in the right direction.

D: Pysyk/Ruhwedel/McNabb already pro, McCabe/Risto/Zadorov in the pipeline

F: Armia/Grigorenko/Girgensons/Larsson/Tropp/Catenacci pro, Kea/Compher/Bailey/Hurley in the pipeline

And the Sabres still have their first and 3 second round picks next year to add to that, and then whatever happens with Vanek/Miller. So this group is only going to get deeper...

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:38 PM
Lord Flacko*
Down to let it go

vCash: 907
Hunter Shinkaruk could very well be the steal of the draft.

Lord Flacko* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:41 PM
Gary83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Flacko View Post
Most likely not.

Gary83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:46 PM
ottawa*
go habs go

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchweed View Post
Fucale was a good pick but is a long term developing choice and will add nothing but backup if Price stays/plays healthy. McCarron wants his degree and committed/will play at U of M for probably 3 plus years to get it. They don't add to the immediate and will only help long term at best. That has to take the edge off the draft a bit.
Habs fans are more than happy with the Fucale pick even though it will be a long term project, after Price there is a tremendous drop off in depth (you could pretty much say we have no goalie depth at all). Not excited with the McCarron pick but I am happy about it, meaning I can live with it but I was hoping for others before him (Hartman, Bigras or Zykov). But all in all, I think the habs did very well in the draft this year but I can't be so sure since I'm no scout or fortune teller, so only time will tell.

ottawa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:46 PM
Captain Saku

Don't understand those who are saying MTL had a good draft. Most of us think we had an avg one. Specially after 3rd round.

I thought Buffalo had the best draft with the values they got at their respective positions.

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:47 PM
ottawa*
go habs go

Quote:
Probably not, but I was hoping the habs could get him but the Canucks picked him right before it was their turn. Same with Subban

Old
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchweed View Post
Fucale is 5+ years away from being a legit pro and price will be 30-31 and at the end of his big contract. a nice problem to have.

mcCarron is most likely going to play for the Knights in London. This is what the habs want for him and it will probably happen. He can talk to Tinordi about his experience and he'll get to play with Domi and Horvat in a pro-type junior environment

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Lebowski

Very surprised to see all the love for Montréal when nearly half of our fans (if not over) are pretty disappointed .

Feels like we drafted for need instead of BPA/talent, and I'm not too much of a fan of that.

Future will tell if the right decisions were made today.

Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:48 PM
crunchyblack*
juice monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
Loser: San Jose- They went into the day with four picks in the first two rounds, and came out with Tyler Kennedy, Mirco Mueller, and Gabryel Paquin-Boudreau. That's horrific
This. What the ****.

crunchyblack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:51 PM
ottawa*
go habs go

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
Fucale is 5+ years away from being a legit pro and price will be 30-31 and at the end of his big contract. a nice problem to have.

mcCarron is most likely going to play or the Knights in London. This is what the habs want for him and it will probably happen. He can talk to Tinordi about his experience and he'll get to play with Domi and Horvat in a pro-type junior environment
Yeah for sure, if Fucale develops on track then it will be great for us if Price doesn't live up to his contract (although I have 100% faith Price will)...but it definitely could set up the habs for a safe situation if ever Price flops and Fucale pans out well. I'm glad McCarron will be playing in London, should help his development playing with Domi/Horvat but I don't want to raise my hopes for him, not sure why but I'm not entirely sold on him, I feel like a big reason as to why he was drafted was simply because of his size.

Old
06-30-2013, 11:57 PM
danisonfire
2313 Saint Catherine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
Don't understand those who are saying MTL had a good draft. Most of us think we had an avg one. Specially after 3rd round.

I thought Buffalo had the best draft with the values they got at their respective positions.
The one poster in our thread who was an ex-nhl scout seemed pleased. He even nailed the 25th pick perfectly beforehand.

I tend to value his opinion over the 1000 bipolar armchair fans crying because their guy wasn't taken (not implying you, just par for that thread).

danisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:58 PM
Chris Butler
Feels bad man

Quote:
nah. There was probably something major either on or off the ice that made him slide so much. That could transition to his play in the NHL

Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:00 AM
flameaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
I thought they did well too - surprised there isn't more love for them.
This is HF. Flames could have drafted MacKinnon, Barkov, and Drouin and people would have still knocked us for not taking Jones.

Bravo Feaster on an amazing draft!

flameaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:04 AM
TT1

so much praise for MTL, i dunno tbh.. i would have been so much happier if we ended up with something like this:
(VAN picking subban 1 spot ahead of us hurt alot =/)

according to who was available:

25. McCarron (most debatable pick for me but we do need size, ready to gamble on him)
34. Zykov
36. Fucale
55. Carrier (Lehkonen was also a good pick but hes high risk -- had a few concussions and hes small)
71. Buchnevich (or Hayden, unsure here. went with Buchnevich due to his upside)
86. Bjorkstrand
116. Subban (theoretically went at 115 but i would have gave my 7th here just to move up 1 spot for him)
176. Gregoire

Last edited by TT1: 07-01-2013 at 12:32 AM.
TT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:05 AM
jigglysquishy

vCash: 492
I'm curious why Shinkaruk dropped. He was easily the biggest dropper besides Fucale.

jigglysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:10 AM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

To NHL teams' fans: You've got to understand this; our fans LOVE their small players. These Plekanec/Kristo types are what they like the most. They're so used to that that they cannot appreciate a guy who might be a little bit on the raw side offensively/skill-wise, but is bigger. They don't understand toughness and nastyness IS a skill too, and that it's important to have some.

I think it's pretty clear in the lights of this draft, just reading reactions of other team's fans versus our own fans' reactions... I guess we really deserved what we got in the last 20 years, getting pummeled, outhit, beaten up in every physical game... After all, Habs didn't need anything like that with guys such as Kristo, Collberg, Holland and Bournival in their prospect pool

HiggsBozon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:14 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Buffalo losing Sekera will hurt. A lot.
That's the point though.

In the run-up to the draft I said that if Regier was actually going to make good on his "suffering" premonitions, he would have to trade a body off the D in addition to Miller/Vanek to be bad enough to bottom out for Ekblad or whoever. There's the defenseman for futures part of the equation, and it only pushes M/V further out the door.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote