HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Around the NHL [Jets re-sign Little/Wheeler/Bogosian]

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2013, 11:00 PM
Aufheben
Crick Nash

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
If you think an established NHL goaltender isnt worth a top 10 pick, then I think youre overvaluing a top 10 pick
Not to mention the Oilers supposedly had a considerably larger offer on the table. Good thing the Devils kept their pick this year. The loss of Brodeur that Rangers/Flyers fans have been waiting 15 years for may not be that big of a blow after all. Edit: Not that I think Schneider is so amazing, but he's wayyyyy better than what they have, and also fairly young.

Old
06-30-2013, 11:01 PM
darko

vCash: 500
Schneider is definitely worth #9 pick.

Old
06-30-2013, 11:11 PM
skymachine

Good trade for the Devils.

Old
06-30-2013, 11:12 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Think the Devils are contenders again, hate to say it.

Old
06-30-2013, 11:13 PM
azaloum90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Not this year... They'll work Marty for one more year, for sure. They have him and Hedberg signed for one more year. Hedberg will be the healthy scratch, and they'll probably tandem Brodeur + Schnieder

Old
06-30-2013, 11:14 PM
JohnC
#FreeSteve

Quote:
No you don't

Old
06-30-2013, 11:16 PM
azaloum90

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I'd say a guy who hasn't played nearly enough games in a single season to be considered a good starter isn't worth what the Devs left on the board at 9.

I just never thought Schneider was as good as the Canadian media made him out to be.
To be fair, anyone could be a decent backup under Luongo's shadow. He's carried his team more than he should have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Anyone else surprised that both Schneider and Bernier got traded and the Flyers didn't land either one? I would have assumed they would have been pursuing both goaltenders. What's left for them? To pursue an unlikely deal with Buffalo for Miller?

There's no way they will be competitive next year with Mason.
I think Mason was more of a move to simply rid themselves of Mr. Universe. After doing that, Mason provides the same skill in the position with a fraction of the cap hit. Priority seems to be $$$ not ice skills.

Old
06-30-2013, 11:17 PM
darko

Quote:

Don't think they are a legit contender but I can see them finishing top-6 in East.

Old
06-30-2013, 11:19 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
The Debs need more than a goalie to be contenders. I can see them sneaking into the playoffs, though. Ridiculous assumption, really. Losing Parise hurt. And the rest of the team is another year older.

Old
06-30-2013, 11:23 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by azaloum90 View Post
Not this year... They'll work Marty for one more year, for sure. They have him and Hedberg signed for one more year. Hedberg will be the healthy scratch, and they'll probably tandem Brodeur + Schnieder
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
No you don't
Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Don't think they are a legit contender but I can see them finishing top-6 in East.
They had the top SA/60 mins in the league. Sieve goaltending by Brodeur and Hedberg led to their downfall. Adding a guy with the top sv% the past 3 seasons statically makes them an elite team with their shot differential dominance. But that is if Schneider doesnt fall off a cliff.

Old
06-30-2013, 11:25 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
They had the top SA/60 mins in the league. Sieve goaltending by Brodeur and Hedberg led to their downfall. Adding a guy with the top sv% the past 3 seasons statically makes them an elite team with their shot differential dominance. But that is if Schneider doesnt fall off a cliff.
They also are just not that good of a team no matter what some silly stats tell you. If you watch the actual game you'd see that the were just not that good of a team. Not much talent at all outside of Kovy. I'd be very surprised to see teem finish above 7.

Old
06-30-2013, 11:30 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
They also are just not that good of a team no matter what some silly stats tell you. If you watch the actual game you'd see that the were just not that good of a team. Not much talent at all outside of Kovy. I'd be very surprised to see teem finish above 7.
For the record, I did watch their games and there were times where they absolutely dominated the opponent (One game vs. the Leafs where the puck was always in the Leafs zone), but their lack of finishers and poor goaltending let them down. It's not hard to view other games with the quality streaming found on the internet.

No talent outside of Kovy? Cmon man that's just silly. I can't believe a guy like Patrik Elias still gets overlooked all these years.

Old
06-30-2013, 11:32 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
For the record, I did watch their games and there were times where they absolutely dominated the opponent (One game vs. the Leafs where the puck was always in the Leafs zone), but their lack of finishers and poor goaltending let them down. It's not hard to view other games with the quality streaming found on the internet.

No talent outside of Kovy? Cmon man that's just silly. I can't believe a guy like Patrik Elias still gets overlooked all these years.
Oh boy. At times they played good. ****, so did the Avalanche.

Elias is a solid player yet has clearly lost a step. Their defense is poor. They have very little scoring depth.

Having watched probably 3/4 of their games, I can tell you that whatever stat you think makes them a "contender" was not on display much. Or it was an outlier. Or it is just meaningless.

Old
06-30-2013, 11:33 PM
Kershaw

The eye test alone can give off severe biases when viewing players. Especially when viewing players from the archrival teams, where there is generally a negative opinion on players. That's why the eye test is faculty and quite inaccurate. Because we are all biased.

Old
06-30-2013, 11:33 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

I am much more worried about the Isles than I am the Debbies.

Old
06-30-2013, 11:34 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
The eye test alone can give off severe biases when viewing players. Especially when viewing players from the archrival teams, where there is generally a negative opinion on players. That's why the eye test is faculty and quite inaccurate. Because we are all biased.

That may be true when one views a couple of games out of many.

Your "contender" with the amazing stats was just not a very good team. Pure and simple.

Old
06-30-2013, 11:34 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Oh boy. At times they played good. ****, so did the Avalanche.

Elias is a solid player yet has clearly lost a step. Their defense is poor. They have very little scoring depth.

Having watched probably 3/4 of their games, I can tell you that whatever stat you think makes them a "contender" was not on display much. Or it was an outlier. Or it is just meaningless.
What? Patrik Elias was a top 10 scorer last season. He was still on pace to break 60 pts in an 82 game season. Their defense also allowed the least SA/60, their goaltenders really let them down.

Old
06-30-2013, 11:35 PM
Kershaw

Quote:

That may be true when one views a couple of games out of many.

Your "contender" with the amazing stats was just not a very good team. Pure and simple.
They were a very unlucky team in a 48 game sample size. Outliers happen each season.

Old
06-30-2013, 11:37 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
What? Patrik Elias was a top 10 scorer last season. He was still on pace to break 60 pts in an 82 game season. Their defense also allowed the least SA/60, their goaltenders really let them down.
Why should I be so impressed with a 60 point season?

I could not care less what their defense allowed you're the ultimate stats surfer. I'm actually convinced you do not even watch hockey.

Old
06-30-2013, 11:38 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
They were a very unlucky team in a 48 game sample size. Outliers happen each season.
You're correct. Their Cup run was the outlier season. They have been on a downward trend for a while now. A middling team for some time. If anything, getting a goalie only delays the inevitable rebuild.

Old
06-30-2013, 11:39 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Why should I be so impressed with a 60 point season?

I could not care less what their defense allowed you're the ultimate stats surfer. I'm actually convinced you do not even watch hockey.
I can say the same for you if you think Elias has taken a step back.

Old
06-30-2013, 11:40 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
You're correct. Their Cup run was the outlier season. They have been on a downward trend for a while now. A middling team for some time. If anything, getting a goalie only delays the inevitable rebuild.
During the cup run season, they were a 100 pt team with some of the best advanced stats in hockey. They were a top team in the East and much better than the Rangers and rightfully so made the finals. The outlier is the season after where they had unsustainable bad luck over a 48 game stretch.

Old
06-30-2013, 11:41 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
I can say the same for you if you think Elias has taken a step back.
I certainly think he has. Still a solid player, but not the dual threat he once was. Probbably my favorite Devil of all time.

Old
06-30-2013, 11:42 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
I certainly think he has. Still a solid player, but not the dual threat he once was. Probbably my favorite Devil of all time.
one season removed from nearly 80 pts. His linemate Zubrus was injured most of the season.

Old
06-30-2013, 11:43 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
During the cup run season, they were a 100 pt team with some of the best advanced stats in hockey. They were a top team in the East and much better than the Rangers and rightfully so made the finals. The outlier is the season after where they had unsustainable bad luck over a 48 game stretch.
I love it, man. I have said that I think you're a Devils fan for ages. This sort of shows it. The one season of recent note they post huge advanced stats. That season, coming after numerous middling ones, is not the outlier. The season where they go back where they should be, however, is to you. Gotta love you trying to twist something like this for your weak argument.

Just go and watch the Devils, man. You are clearly a fan. You can have your 9th overall pick contenders all day

Closed Thread