HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Give this draft a grade!

View Poll Results: What grade would you give to this draft?
A+ 8 2.14%
A 24 6.42%
A- 57 15.24%
B+ 86 22.99%
B 100 26.74%
B- 46 12.30%
C+ 23 6.15%
C 15 4.01%
C- 11 2.94%
Fail 4 1.07%
Voters: 374. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-30-2013, 11:38 PM
SouthernHab

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimyrmidon View Post
Folks on the main board seemed to like our draft for some reason. I guess Fucale helps and having so many picks in the Top 90.
They like it on the main board because the Canadiens drafted for need instead of picking up all small skill players with a BPA approach.

We are loaded with small skill player prospects. Loaded. What the Canadiens are lacking is what Bergevin went after in this draft. More size at forward.

What people on the main board saw against Ottawa was complete domination by the Sens D on our smaller skill guys. It appears that some people have forgotten that series already or are in denial.

Size at forward and a very good G prospect. Not a bad draft. We can nit-pick it by saying we should have drafted _______ but we all know how that ends up when we see the posts about how Giroux or Lucic or any player was passed over by team __________.

They are drafted and now it is time for proper development........something that was sorely missing for the last decade.

Now on to the UFA season and I hope Bergevin makes our D bigger for next season.

SouthernHab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:39 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
and whoever said that this draft was a wet dream to those advocating drafting for need instead of bpa - you know who you are, had it perfectly right. the crisp pick baffles the **** out of me, but oh well

you wanted size? you got size! :flex:

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:43 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
and whoever said that this draft was a wet dream to those advocating drafting for need instead of bpa - you know who you are, had it perfectly right. the crisp pick baffles the **** out of me, but oh well

you wanted size? you got size! :flex:
Crisp is going to surprise you and me. One way or the other, one of us will be surprised.

SouthernHab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:47 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Crisp is going to surprise you and me. One way or the other, one of us will be surprised.
heh

i have no expectations whatsoever for him. a previously undrafted big guy in the third round with average/underwhelming stats that apparently is a very ****** fighter makes me very ambivalent... i doubt he even gets a sniff at the NHL but you never know. either way my feelings about him can be summed up as: "meh..."

Old
06-30-2013, 11:48 PM
Genesis76

vCash: 50
I'm still not sure why montreal din't traded to get Subban...all it took was a 4th rnd pick.. I mean come on!!

Genesis76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:51 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis76 View Post
I'm still not sure why montreal din't traded to get Subban...all it took was a 4th rnd pick.. I mean come one!!
Subban was about to get picked by the Habs in the 4th round but the Canucks cockblocked us

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:52 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis76 View Post
I'm still not sure why montreal din't traded to get Subban...all it took was a 4th rnd pick.. I mean come on!!
well he's not a 3000 dollar suit

sorry, had to

Old
06-30-2013, 11:52 PM
Lebowski

Went with C.

We came out of the so-called deepest draft since 2003 without any player that has legit top 6 upside. Sure, Fucale was the best goalie available, but did we have to burn a high pick on the best ranked G when we could have had another one in the latter rounds, considering how unpredictable goalies' development is?

I just felt let down for every single of our top 2 rounds picks. I could be right, I wish I'm wrong, but only time will tell. There's absolutely no one out of this draft that makes me excited. Talk about contrast when we compare it to 2012.

Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:53 PM
Habstastic

The Montreal Canadiens made a huge draft this year, I was hoping for Dauphin with the 34th and Carrier with the 55th but that would be as an ideal BPA draft.

Timmins went with the need of the organisation

-McCarron is a very interesting project (might become our very own Bickell)
-DLR is a safe pick (3rd line grit or 2nd line PP if potential reached)
-Fucale fills a great need for the future (safe net in case of Price meltdown)
-Lekhonen is a great pickup safe bet that will add skill set to our team
-Crisp could swing both ways , we'll have to wait and see (in TT I trust)
-Andrighetto strikes me as a DD will add to depth.
-Reway , meh.. not a big fan
-Grégoire could become something special or not, great pick for the rank.

In general I would say that the Habs drafted for need rather than pure skills which is exactly what they had to do. Very proud of the picks since it fills exactly what we needed, keep in mind that we already have great talent at every spot so drafting for raw talent wasn't needed. Well done TT and Bergevin for filling the wingers depth chart, grit and goalie prospect. B+ general draft

For those of you whining about Morin, we have Tinordi which as already proven is value and as a better offensive upside.

For those of you whining about Zykov at 34th DLR will prove why he was preferred in 2-3 years just wait and pray the lord TT.

Habstastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:56 PM
Ginu

The unbiased view from the main board on who won the draft. Some great opinions about our draft picks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjci View Post
In no order

Winners:
1) Montreal
2) Vancouver
3) Edmonton
4) Buffalo

Losers:
1) Sharks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerss View Post
winners=buffalo,canadiens,canucks
losers=Flyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Winners :
CBJ
BUF
MTL

Losers :
SJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachycineta View Post
I have to give my annual saying

Winners: The 211 kids who got drafted today
Loser: Luongo, but he's a pro and hopefully, the roller coaster ride will be over for him. He deserves that.

Out of curiosity, did anyone have more selections than Buffalo, with 11? I know there were 3 teams that had 10 picks going into the draft. I'm not sure if some of the teams added more picks by dropping back/trades etc.

I liked the Kings moves of trading up for Zykov and the Habs stealing Fucale. I think he's going to be great. I like the Vancouver picks. I'm not sure about the trade, though. I guess they had to do that given their structure.

Very Classy, what the Devils did. And I hope Brodeur ends up being a solid prospect for them. Way to go, Devils.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chieftans22 View Post
Lumbus, Buffalo, Montreal, Van all had good drafts. Also NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
The biggest winner has to be the Montreal Canadiens by far. Holy **** did they hit home runs on pretty much their first 3-4 picks. I hate it as a Leaf fan but how can you hate on their draft. I love De La Rose and Fucale as prospects, ****
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I liked what Montreal and Columbus did because I like a lot of the guys they selected. Also, the Zykov move for LA was something that puts a talented goal scorer into their stable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Holt View Post
Outside of teams that didn't pick Top 5...

Winners

Two potential studs in Ristolainen and Zadorov with their first two picks.

Addressed size up front - something they needed - and added goaltending depth - something you can never have too much of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Habs View Post
Winners:

Gonna go with the crowd here and say CBus, Buffalo, and Montreal

Loser:

Edmonton. I really like Nurse as a pick for them but if they have Yakimov and Yakupov on the same team Bob Cole won't be allowed to do their games and he is a beauty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Really liked what Montreal did with their picks.

NJ wins big here.

I liked what the Flames did but i'm bias of course.

Columbus and Buffalo also deserve a mention.
Thought I'd give some perspective from fans around the league for some of the fans who don't follow the draft much.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:56 PM
Genesis76

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
Subban was about to get picked by the Habs in the 4th round but the Canucks cockblocked us
I know but we could have traded to get a better 4th pick. It's just sad.. very sad.

Genesis76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:58 PM
MsChanandlerBong
The Chan-Chan Man

I gave it an A- for a few reasons...(1) Fucale was our best pick...huge steal and will become a franchise goaltender in time to replace Price, (2) McCarron was definitely a risky pick but fills our needs well and could become a Lucic-style player, (3) De La Rose seems like a big winger and could be great on our 3rd line in the future.

We definitely didn't seem to draft any offensive stars, however we got some big physical 2nd and 3rd line players, as well as a future star goaltender. I think our worst pick was Crisp...we'll see how that one turns out.

MsChanandlerBong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:01 AM
TT1

buffalo had by far the best draft

TT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:05 AM
Drunk World Order

I will give a A-

We had a very solid draft it great to see this organization in good hands finally...McCarron and Crisp address major need with toughness and grit & skill...We get the best goalie in the draft which is amazing as we now have someone to light a fire under prices ass & of course we finally have a good goalteding prospect in the system...not to mention that Fucale was predicted to go anywhere from 9th overall to 15th overall in the first round...so he's a steal at 36...De La Rose was a good pick at 34 as he has both size and skilled and has been playing against Men and could very well challenging for a NHL spot in a year or too. Lehkonen who is nicknamed "The Cannon" For his no fear attitude? ...sound a little like Gallager? ...Andrighetto, Reway and Gregoire are all decent prospects with upside, but lack size...I am very happy with the draft!!!

BTW its really annoying with all the people whining...look on the Draft boards some fans from other teams believe we had the best draft and or at least top 3!

Drunk World Order is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:06 AM
Habs

I didn't like it, not at all. Thought we drafted players way too early, nothing spectacular at all.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:15 AM
coolasprICE

I'll be able give a better answer in 25 years from now.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:15 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Still can't believe we passed on Zykov not once, not twice, but thrice!

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 12:50 AM
Habsrback

I gave it an A-. Our most pressing needs were addressed (adding size and G depth). Drafting Fucale at 36 is a steal that balances out the McCarron pick. Overall interesting picks, but nowhere close to last year's picks that were mostly classified much higher by the Central Scouting, and who demonstrated later in the year that we had some serious steals (Hudon, Collberg, and Bozon). They all had stellar seasons, surpassing many drafted before them and demonstrating that they should have been first round picks.

So given the fact that this draft was said to be very rich and in comparison with last year, I am disappointed, although I gave it an A-.

Habsrback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:06 AM
Mathletic

I really don't like this draft for the Habs. Hate teams drafting based on needs. Not a fan of McCarron, De la Rose, nor Crisp. Glad with the Fucale, Lekhonen and Reway picks though.

Mathletic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:17 AM
McNuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingofdrouin View Post
i don't think it's real;y fair for me to put a grade on it because im not an nhl scout..i don't know all of these players and i don't know where they will end up but if i could rank the way i feel right now between 1 and 10 it would be a 3 or 4 at best.....really unhappy with these players...i barely know any of them...i feel like they're really off the board and but, fucale is a great asset

who is this jeremy gregoire guy...what makes him a steal?
You don't know the players... But you're really unhappy about them

McNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:20 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
I didn't like it, not at all. Thought we drafted players way too early, nothing spectacular at all.
You never like anything regarding the Habs anyways..

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:51 AM
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

There are so many prospects experts on HFboards, it's crazy. Where were you guys all season long?

Lars Mon Amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 03:06 AM
Mats86

Wth extra picks in deep draft I was expecting a front line prospect....gave it a C

Mats86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 03:13 AM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Looks like 2012 was the draft where we added high ceiling talent (Galchenyuk, Collberg, Hudon, Bozon).

2013 was the draft where we added depth, but nothing spectacular. With all the big names out there, I also had higher expectations, but I trust Timmins enough and we can only judge him by the results... in a few years.

DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 04:07 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

The more I read the more I like.

Lehkonen being spoken about in the same sentence as TT, Granlund and even Selanne.

Andrighetto sounds/looks pretty dynamic. Serious stats.

Fucale has franchise potential.

De La Rose having stats comparable to F.Forsberg and Zibanedjad while his only knock is having limited offensive upside.

McCarron's a home run swing but even still could turn into an effective bottom 6er so he could be less a risk than we imagine.

Could've gotten better at Crisp's spot but had we got him in later rounds we could be ecstatic about him.

Reway had great stats for a rookie and has some high end skill.

Gregoire seems to ooze character and was ranked much higher than where we got him.

I think a lot of our negative reaction has to do with
a) a lot of these players we haven't seen to much of
b) we didn't get the players that a lot of us wanted or took some players higher than we should've.

I think when you just look at the players we acquired and not necesarily who we could've had than I think this is a damn damn fine haul.

dackelljuneaubulis02 is offline   Reply With Quote