HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Around the NHL [Jets re-sign Little/Wheeler/Bogosian]

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2013, 11:44 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
one season removed from nearly 80 pts. His linemate Zubrus was injured most of the season.
Yes. Zubrus makes Elias who he is.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Old
06-30-2013, 11:51 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Yes. Zubrus makes Elias who he is.
They made a helluva duo the past 6 years together.

Old
06-30-2013, 11:53 PM
darko

Do Devils have to forfeit their next year's 1st rounder?

Old
06-30-2013, 11:55 PM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

vCash: 300
Devils were an excellent possession team, even watching them will tell you that. But, they have no finishers outside of Kovalchuk, so all of that possession generally means very little, and when they were in their own end, it was an adventure, especially with a 41 year/39 year old in net.

I think with Schneider they're a bottom-10 team instead of a bottom-5 team.

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
Old
07-01-2013, 12:11 AM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB v2 0 View Post
Devils were an excellent possession team, even watching them will tell you that. But, they have no finishers outside of Kovalchuk, so all of that possession generally means very little, and when they were in their own end, it was an adventure, especially with a 41 year/39 year old in net.

They were the 9th worst team in hockey standings wise, by no means a bottom 5 team any point in the season. Possession times means a lot as mentioned before as top teams are usually the ones that have the best possession ratings.

Old
07-01-2013, 12:49 AM
TrojanRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
They were the 9th worst team in hockey standings wise, by no means a bottom 5 team any point in the season. Possession times means a lot as mentioned before as top teams are usually the ones that have the best possession ratings.
Top teams usually score goals and have someone better than Andy Greene as their top d man.

No offense, but your argument is silly. NJD is not even close to contender status with the way their roster is constructed right now. Schnieder is an upgrade in goal but they still can't score and lets not forget hes was just traded by a team that had a pretty good defense to a team that may not have a single top 4 defender (Greene is a #5 for me, but thats debatable.) Couple that with a trade to what is going to be a much better division than the NW and I think its safe to say that his numbers will take a dip.

Either way, NJD are an aging team with limited in house options ready to help. Financial restrictions will probably keep them from doing much via UFA, and they don't have a whole lot of tradeable assets. They haven't come close to replacing Parise and unless you think Tedenby will magically stop sucking, they won't have that problem solved by next season.

Make all the excuses you want for what went down last year, but unlucky teams don't go on 10 game losing streaks, bad teams do.

Old
07-01-2013, 12:55 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Clarksson going to test free agency and sign elsewhere?

Old
07-01-2013, 04:33 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Devils' defense is still a friggin catastrophe.

Old
07-01-2013, 05:43 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
Devils' defense is still a friggin catastrophe.
fewest shots allowed, stocked defensive prosp....ehhh never mind

Old
07-01-2013, 06:47 AM
Scottyk9
Blackhawks bandwagon

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Clarksson going to test free agency and sign elsewhere?
We hope so. I really want no part of the 5-5.5 some team is gonna offer him in UFA.

Old
07-01-2013, 07:49 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:

Bingo. We can have a team full of Marcel Hossas and post AMAZING possession stats yet still not score ****. That's why statsurfing is so gosh darn useless. You can't see how inept the shooters are outside of a select few. There is a stat for every argument I always say.

It's why I get so damn annoyed at Kershaw trying to do everything in his power to disparage the Rangers and prop up the Devils/Islanders at every chance he gets. It's obnoxiuos. "OH LEMME CITE THIS STAT GUYZ TO SHOW U WHY TEH RANGERZ ARE AWFUL AND TEH DEBBILS ARE OMGAMAZING!!!" It's painfully obvious that is going on with that and more people need to realize it.

Old
07-01-2013, 07:50 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:

Every year we say this and they somehow overachieve (or we dont give the makeup of the team enough credit) and they make the playoffs (except last year)

While it was a great deal for the Devils in getting Schneider, they passed up a solid top 10 pick in a deep top-end draft (theyll make it seem like there wasnt as good of a crop on the table at 9, but there will be an impact player in that area looking back 3-4 years from now for sure).

They wont have a first rounder next year either so that really puts them behind the 8-ball in stocking their farm with top-level talent.

So this I am happy about.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 07-01-2013 at 07:56 AM.
Old
07-01-2013, 07:52 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
fewest shots allowed, stocked defensive prosp....ehhh never mind
Stocked? By what definition? Santini is a nice prospect (I like him). Merrill is a huge question mark and the rest of the guys are players every team has. Hell, I'll take McI over Merrill any day of the week and Skjei over Santini (although this one is a lot closer). Allen, Noreau and Graves apparently make our D prospects stacked, too.

Old
07-01-2013, 07:55 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Every year we say this and they somehow overachieve (or we dont give the makeup of the team enough credit) and they make the playoffs (except last year)
And two years prior to that. They've missed the playoffs two out of the last three years. That time may very well have come.

Old
07-01-2013, 07:57 AM
LetterJ

Quote:
Stocked? By what definition? Santini is a nice prospect (I like him). Merrill is a huge question mark and the rest of the guys are players every team has. Hell, I'll take McI over Merrill any day of the week and Skjei over Santini (although this one is a lot closer). Allen, Noreau and Graves apparently make our D prospects stacked, too.
I sure hope Skjei has more upside than that. After all, his skating is supposedly top notch for a guy his size. We drafted him #28 overall, whereas Santini went #42.

Old
07-01-2013, 07:59 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetterJ View Post
I sure hope Skjei has more upside than that. After all, his skating is supposedly top notch for a guy his size. We drafted him #28 overall, whereas Santini went #42.
Well, Skjei would probably have been a 2nd round pick in this draft. Right around (maybe a bit before) where Santini went. They are pretty comparable. Skjei has more upside, Santini is safer.

Old
07-01-2013, 08:10 AM
JohnC
#FreeSteve

Where's all the stat twisting when the Rangers need it?

Old
07-01-2013, 09:37 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 6m
Three years at $3.1 million per for Dainius Zubrus, as I reported last week. He just confirmed it.
Overpaid IMO

Old
07-01-2013, 09:39 AM
FultonReed

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Do Devils have to forfeit their next year's 1st rounder?
yes. yes they do.

Old
07-01-2013, 10:43 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
Overpaid IMO
By about 1M or so. Good for him, though.

Old
07-01-2013, 11:03 AM
LetterJ

Tragic story:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/i-...ed=false#bmb=1

Sometimes we forget about these guys once they are out of the limelight.

Old
07-01-2013, 11:18 AM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetterJ View Post
Tragic story:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/i-...ed=false#bmb=1

Sometimes we forget about these guys once they are out of the limelight.
Yeah, that sucks for BB.

I was almost a teammate of his, way back in the early 90's.

Old
07-01-2013, 11:40 AM
Scottyk9
Blackhawks bandwagon

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Rich Chere ‏@Ledger_NJDevils 3h
Devils are close to re-signing veteran forward Patrik Elias. It appears he will not test the market.

Old
07-01-2013, 11:41 AM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Lou using a flip phone at the draft the biggest indication yet that the Devils are struggling financially?

Old
07-01-2013, 11:46 AM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanRanger View Post
Top teams usually score goals and have someone better than Andy Greene as their top d man.

No offense, but your argument is silly. NJD is not even close to contender status with the way their roster is constructed right now. Schnieder is an upgrade in goal but they still can't score and lets not forget hes was just traded by a team that had a pretty good defense to a team that may not have a single top 4 defender (Greene is a #5 for me, but thats debatable.) Couple that with a trade to what is going to be a much better division than the NW and I think its safe to say that his numbers will take a dip.

Either way, NJD are an aging team with limited in house options ready to help. Financial restrictions will probably keep them from doing much via UFA, and they don't have a whole lot of tradeable assets. They haven't come close to replacing Parise and unless you think Tedenby will magically stop sucking, they won't have that problem solved by next season.

Make all the excuses you want for what went down last year, but unlucky teams don't go on 10 game losing streaks, bad teams do.
The best defense is to prevent shots against. That is a combination of team defensive play from the forwards, goalies and defense. The goalie moving the puck out (like Marty) allows an easier transition offense. Their names on the backend aren't sexy at all, but they've gotten the job done for the most part post 2006 lockout as being top possession teams in the league. That's why they always were near the top of the standings for most of those years.

Quote:
Bingo. We can have a team full of Marcel Hossas and post AMAZING possession stats yet still not score ****. That's why statsurfing is so gosh darn useless. You can't see how inept the shooters are outside of a select few. There is a stat for every argument I always say.
I don't ever recall Marcel Hossa being a good puck possession player, need to look up on that one.

Stat surfing is not useless at all. It gives some good objectivity on a player. Just because you can seem to grasp or understand it, does not mean it's useless.

Quote:
It's why I get so damn annoyed at Kershaw trying to do everything in his power to disparage the Rangers and prop up the Devils/Islanders at every chance he gets. It's obnoxiuos. "OH LEMME CITE THIS STAT GUYZ TO SHOW U WHY TEH RANGERZ ARE AWFUL AND TEH DEBBILS ARE OMGAMAZING!!!" It's painfully obvious that is going on with that and more people need to realize it.
You literally have no idea what you're talking about. Please stop.

Closed Thread