HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Noy quite a household name: Jed Ortmeyer.

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2004, 07:25 PM
Reign Nateo

vCash: 500
Noy quite a household name: Jed Ortmeyer.

#41 New York Rangers
W Jed Ortmeyer 6-1 186
Omaha Nebraska

Played 22 games for the Rangers so far this year. He's got to be the first player in the NHL with the first name "Jed" or at least the first player from Omaha, Nebraska?

Old
01-08-2004, 02:54 AM
Flamin' Griz

Not the first player to star for 4 years at the U of Michigan and come into the league as an unkown though.

Can you say John Madden?

Old
01-08-2004, 03:11 AM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin' Griz
Not the first player to star for 4 years at the U of Michigan and come into the league as an unkown though.

Can you say John Madden?

Very true, Jed reminded me alot of Madden at Michigan. He wasn't the most skilled player on the team. But worked his butt of every single shift. They both did the little things that never get noticed on the scoresheet, but were huge in the game.

Old
01-08-2004, 05:34 AM
Funkymoses

I'm actually surprised to see him in the NHL already. He's got some knee issues but, man, he's basically my favorite hockey player. Michigan's struggling this year way more than you'd expect and I think it's because not having Ortmeyer around is taking a lot of adjusting to.

I don't think he'll be anything more than a fourth liner in the NHL but he will be a fan favorite. I still remember an NCAA tournament game against St. Cloud where Jed just flat leveled two Huskies in the span of ten minutes, which set the arena off.

It's too bad former Michigan defenseman Andy "Bubba" Berenzweig never stuck in the NHL, though, because that would probably one-up Jed... had a few games with the Preds but is in the AHL I believe.

Old
01-08-2004, 06:38 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
He's been great for the Rangers. Never stops moving on the ice (an argument can be made that he is their best penalty killer). He needs to develop a bit more of a scoring touch but I really like the kid. He busts his ass every shift and has earned the respect of players like Messier and Holik. A good find by Sather (did I really just write that?)

01-08-2004, 07:29 AM
Mizral

I've seen him on the hilite reels once in a blue moon, but I know nothing about him other than what's posted here. What kind of player does he compare to? How does he play?

Old
01-08-2004, 07:50 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
I've seen him on the hilite reels once in a blue moon, but I know nothing about him other than what's posted here. What kind of player does he compare to? How does he play?

He is a grinding defense minded forward. Right now he is simply a hard working guy who takes the body and does not take a shift off. He has played on the wing with Messier but was recently moved up to the right side and played with Holik and Rucinsky. His offense has not rounded into shape yet but I see his upside being a decent second line player.

Old
01-08-2004, 08:18 AM
Kenadyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWI19
Very true, Jed reminded me alot of Madden at Michigan. He wasn't the most skilled player on the team. But worked his butt of every single shift. They both did the little things that never get noticed on the scoresheet, but were huge in the game.
Which is exactly why Red Berenson made Ortmeyer the team Captain. He worked harder than anyone -- even in practice!! Madden worked hard too, but also had better skills than Ortmeyer.

Old
01-08-2004, 09:47 AM
Davisian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Messier was quoted as comparing him to "A Deadmarsh type player" but I don't think Jed is as fast or gritty..

His defensive instincts remind me of Niklas Sundstrom (when he first came to the Rangers), always in the right position, but Ortmeyer's got more beef, and throws it around a lot more.. Very good forechecker, as SBOB said, his feet never stop moving..

Doubt he'll ever develop a scoring touch (he is 25) but he should be part of a younger core of Rangers for many years..

Old
01-08-2004, 11:46 AM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
He's been great for the Rangers. Never stops moving on the ice (an argument can be made that he is their best penalty killer). He needs to develop a bit more of a scoring touch but I really like the kid. He busts his ass every shift and has earned the respect of players like Messier and Holik. A good find by Sather (did I really just write that?)
an argument?

Hes by far are best PK foward.

Old
01-08-2004, 01:42 PM
Twisted Wrister

Jed's exactly the kind of player the Ranger$ need. He's a hardworking, gritty natural leader who was a 2-year captain at Michigan, leading them to 2 conference titles and 2 Frozen Fours. Great to see him having some NHL success. He'll do anything to win.

The Madden comparisons are a little off, they have the same kind of heart but Madden's got a lot more natural skill. Still, Jed's good enough to score now and then. And maybe he can teach those overpaid prima donna blueshirts the price it takes to win games. :p

Closed Thread