HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

"The Only Card I Need" - 2013 NHL Entry Draft

Old
07-01-2013, 07:33 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

vCash: 500
Two gapping holes at top 9 forward which wouldn't have been solved in the draft and only about 9 mill under cap. Time to trade two dmen for the lower of two top 9 forwards and sign/trade for the big forward

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 07:47 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Honestly, it feels like we tried to do this back in 05-06-07 and we ended up with craptastic players like Nick Fugure, Snellman, Ryan Thang, etc. I'm sure I messed the draft years up and the players in those years, but the point stands without the research .

We are at our best when our only goal has been to draft talent. The last few years have been some of our better draft years - period. I hope that continued this year!

07-01-2013, 07:51 AM
Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Honestly, it feels like we tried to do this back in 05-06-07 and we ended up with craptastic players like Nick Fugure, Snellman, Ryan Thang, etc. I'm sure I messed the draft years up and the players in those years, but the point stands without the research .

We are at our best when our only goal has been to draft talent. The last few years have been some of our better draft years - period. I hope that continued this year!
So far 2012 looks decent, but 2011 and 2010 are brutal.

Stranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 07:55 AM
Byrddog

After a night of sleep the raft does not feel much better. The disdain most feel for Poile is not well founded. While theres little doubt we would have preferred a forward in the first round the pick was the correct thing to do at the time. If all the hype is correct he picked up a NHL ready player one of three in the draft. With all the talking heads prior to the draft professing this to be the deepest draft in the last 10 years it sure felt like they changed there minds after about pick 8. The commentary went from potential to focus on the weak areas and the amount of time it would take to become NHL ready. Heck they even talked from both sides of there mouth at times. Max Domi has a lot to work on in to be ready to play but in the next sentence the proclamation about how much better he is than his dad. Now I would believe if they had said how much different, but his dad played his role as well as any other player in the league. The point is that this was a rookie draft with much hype as most of them have. There is still a chance that a player picked in the 4th round or later will be the gem of the draft.

The positive. The team should be set on the backend for a few years. at some point one of the big three will have to be moved if Jones does indeed turn out to be the stud in the NHL that all have predicted.

What to expect now in typical Predator fashion DP will find a couple forwards that will likely be projects ala SK or the injury damaged Karyia and spend modestly. The team will struggle to score most nights and rely on Rinne and the defense yet again to carry the team.

The perfect storm that was last year hopefully will not repeat. The team will likely be a fringe team comeing down to the playoff run. The key will be the youngsters. May be three 20 goal scorers Horni, Fish and probably Borque. Wilson will come close yet again, provided he plays 82 games.

flame away im kinda getting used to it

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 07:56 AM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Two gapping holes at top 9 forward which wouldn't have been solved in the draft and only about 9 mill under cap. Time to trade two dmen for the lower of two top 9 forwards and sign/trade for the big forward
2 gaping holes in the top 9? I will give you one, but two is a stretch. Our wings are solid. not the worst in the league, not the best in the league by any stretch, but they are solid. and very very young. It looks more and more like the team will be built to have three lines that can score a bit and an energy/checking line again. The blueprint we have had most of our success with. I think it is safe to pencil in Forsberg now into the lineup next year with Hornquist, Beck, Wilson and Bourque on the wings and I would be shocked if it isn't Legwand/Fisher/Smith down the middle, with spaling/gaustad/clune as the 4th unit. No matter how you mix and match, we need another wing for the top 9 as it stands now. I hope it changes and we sign a C and slide Smith to the Wing.

or in a perfect world convince Elias and Clowe to come here and get rida of Smith.
Wilson-Elias-Forsberg
Beck-Legwand-Hornquist
Bourque-Fisher-Clowe

is a winning top 9

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 08:01 AM
Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
2 gaping holes in the top 9? I will give you one, but two is a stretch. Our wings are solid. not the worst in the league, not the best in the league by any stretch, but they are solid.
30th offensive team in the league last season and lost their most consistent offensive player.

Stranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 08:08 AM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Our D is set for years, and we don't need to spend money on defense this summer. Haters gonna hate.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 08:16 AM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
30th offensive team in the league last season and lost their most consistent offensive player.
that's cool. Our Power play stunk and it got better yesterday with Jones, since he can move the puck a little bit. And I will buy into that young players mature-so I will take physical and mental growth from Wilson-Beck-Forsberg, etc. I will also take that golden nugget of 30th in scoring while missing a good bit of our top 9 to injury and the most consistant player in Erat playing on a fractured ankle. Everything that could go wrong offensively did for us last year:

1. We replaced Suter on the top pair, but the band aid in Hannan was a disaster
2. Hornquist shoulder injury
3. Hornquist leg injury
4. Wilson shoulder injury
5. Erat's ankle injury
6. Fisher's hand
7. Bourque's Knee injury
8. Gaustad's shoulder injury
9. season was practically over, but beck got hurt, and so did Klein

that is a crap ton of injuries to overcome, esp while out goaltender has a wonky problem and isn't able to bail us out at every corner. Now if you want to try and convince yourself that we are gonna miss so many man games because of injury again, fine, but say so. Tell me what injuries are gonna doom us, becasue when somewhat healthy, this team played good enough defence and scored just enough to be a good team. May not have been pretty, but it worked. Losing Wilson and Hornquist in back to back games sunk this ship.

Old
07-01-2013, 08:23 AM
Byrddog

Injuries happen not to the extent of last year to most teams. But this team is one injury away from another top 5 pick. If Rinne goes down its game over.

Old
07-01-2013, 08:48 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

This team, like most, is several simultaneous injuries away from disaster. When healthy up front, the Preds averaged 3 goals per game during a stretch across Feb and Mar. The lack of a #4 d-man hurt all season as did Pekka's injury influenced play.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 08:53 AM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
Injuries happen not to the extent of last year to most teams. But this team is one injury away from another top 5 pick. If Rinne goes down its game over.
I think most teams who rely on a goalie of Rinne's caliber for 70 games a season would be headed for disaster if their guy got hurt.

Old
07-01-2013, 08:59 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post

The scouting staff re-assessed how they would go about adding size after that was the only mandate during those years. Now they look for skilled size with good skating and hockey IQ. Only pick this year that really has me thinking Fuguere is Veilleux to be honest, but I've yet to see these guys in person yet, so I'm withholding judgement.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 09:03 AM
RaiderDoug

The Preds ended the season with probably 3 large holes:

1. Replacement for Erat.
2. Another top 6 scorer.
3. Puck moving D-man who can play in the top 4.

If Jones is ready next year, and by the accounts of many in the biz he's the most NHL ready guy in the draft, then we've just filled possibly the biggest of those holes.

I've been looking at the UFA lists, and it was going to be a heck of alot harder to find that puck-moving D-man than it is to find a 20 goal scorer for the top lines. Those guys are all over and i'm willing to bet that there are guys out there that can be had that will score more than Erat next year.

None of the 3 forwards that went before Jones is projected to pay major minutes, so if anyone was looking for that as a solution, it wasn't going to work.

The offense wasn't a problem 2 years ago when we had #7 leading the break out.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 09:18 AM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
I think most teams who rely on a goalie of Rinne's caliber for 70 games a season would be headed for disaster if their guy got hurt.
That's true but a decision to bring Mason back when he was clearly washed up was a mistake. Who ever is behind Rinne needs to be capable of winning games against the weak teams on the schedule. If not Rinne must play 70 games, he is a workhorse but we would all fell better to have a solid back-up. Something that is not been mentioned in the debate of holes in the line-up.

Old
07-01-2013, 09:26 AM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
That's true but a decision to bring Mason back when he was clearly washed up was a mistake. Who ever is behind Rinne needs to be capable of winning games against the weak teams on the schedule. If not Rinne must play 70 games, he is a workhorse but we would all fell better to have a solid back-up. Something that is not been mentioned in the debate of holes in the line-up.
When I'm wrong about something I'll own up to it, and I was wrong on Mason. I thought he would be a suitable backup, given his numbers in St Louis and Atlanta/Winnipeg after leaving us initially. He was at or slightly above .500 as a starter in between his stints with us if I recall correctly.

Backup goalies are a fickle thing for a team like ours with an elite goaltender that will clearly start most games. The backup doesn't ever see game action so it's very likely for him to come in as rusty. It happened most of the time with Lindback, and whatever happened with Mason was just....bad. I'm having a hard time remembering our backups over the last several years for some reason but wasn't Ellis the last fairly reliable backup we had? (He's available by the way)

Old
07-01-2013, 09:33 AM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Yes, because clearly backup goaltender who might play 12 games was the biggest problem on the roster.

Damn that Poile, why the hell didn't he trade #4 for Jason LaBarbera!

I hope he doesn't waste time on guys like Ribiero or Filppula next Friday. Someone might snatch up Thomas Greiss.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 09:45 AM
glenngineer

Most teams who lose their starter are in for a world of hurt. Look what happened to the Devils. Tell me who's going to fill in for Lundqvist? What if Quick goes down now? That's why certain guys are backups and others are the starters, it's a crap shoot and you hope the backup can hold the fort down while the starter gets healed up.

I've said it numerous times and will say it again, outside of Weber/Josi, the other two pairings had trouble moving the puck out of defensive zone and we weren't able to generate offense from the back end. Having two pairs that can now move the puck effectively, we should be able to hold on to the puck more which should generate more offense. It starts on the back end and moves forward and we have that solidified. Pick up a forward or two in free agency that are good pieces and we have a solid top 9. We're not going to get an all-star up front this offseason but we can get guys that will compliment what we have on the roster.

And even if no one else pans out from this draft class I don't really care so much. We got a freaking amazing talent on the blue line. And as someone noted earlier, we filled one of our biggest needs with a player we weren't going to find in free agency or the trade market. Big win for the Preds.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 09:47 AM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
Yes, because clearly backup goaltender who might play 12 games was the biggest problem on the roster.

I hope he doesn't waste time on guys like Ribiero or Filppula next Friday. Someone might snatch up Thomas Greiss.
I'm glad there's no one else in this office because I just laughed out loud reading that

Old
07-01-2013, 10:37 AM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post

I understand what you are saying, but those 12 games we need to win half of them. 12 points are precious points. I kinda want to see Hedberg in here now that NJD has marty and schnieder. Guy is used to playing sporadically and plays ok

Old
07-01-2013, 10:39 AM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Dan Ellis? Theodore? Anyone willing to play 12 games?

Old
07-01-2013, 11:53 AM
Byrddog

A back-up is substantially more important to a team that struggles to score. And a capable one is essential to this team. Like it or not it is going to be difficult to score three goals often with the current roster. And to think that a couple 3 mil a year forwards are going to put them over the top is not realistic. The imbalance in young unproven players to veterans is blinding. It is difficult to see how the team score 200 goals realistically. I suppose its going to be a long painful year. But we will see by next monday we should know. Even before the draft I said that July 5th was more important and I still think it is. After that any of the buyout guys and RFA's that would make a difference should be on rosters.

Old
07-01-2013, 12:00 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
A back-up is substantially more important to a team that struggles to score. And a capable one is essential to this team. Like it or not it is going to be difficult to score three goals often with the current roster. And to think that a couple 3 mil a year forwards are going to put them over the top is not realistic. The imbalance in young unproven players to veterans is blinding. It is difficult to see how the team score 200 goals realistically. I suppose its going to be a long painful year. But we will see by next monday we should know. Even before the draft I said that July 5th was more important and I still think it is. After that any of the buyout guys and RFA's that would make a difference should be on rosters.
It's difficult for most teams to do that since only six teams averaged at least 3 goals a game. And might I take this moment to remind everyone that it's 4 days before free agency even begins. We aren't opening the season tonight. All the Debbie Downers out there need to give it some time and be patient. Also, we aren't contenders this season, so, yeah we're gonna struggle sometimes. Offense, defense, whatever. It's just inevitable.

Old
07-01-2013, 12:32 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:

Yet the Press, when healthy, did have a month stretch where they averaged over 3 goals per game during Feb - Mar 2013. All of the definitive "can't" "don't" "won't" comments fail to hold up to reality.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:01 PM
ilikeblocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Rumored Greening for Blum deal might solve the first part of this...

ilikeblocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:02 PM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

vCash: 162
Quote:
After a night of sleep the raft does not feel much better. The disdain most feel for Poile is not well founded. While theres little doubt we would have preferred a forward in the first round the pick was the correct thing to do at the time. If all the hype is correct he picked up a NHL ready player one of three in the draft. With all the talking heads prior to the draft professing this to be the deepest draft in the last 10 years it sure felt like they changed there minds after about pick 8. The commentary went from potential to focus on the weak areas and the amount of time it would take to become NHL ready. Heck they even talked from both sides of there mouth at times. Max Domi has a lot to work on in to be ready to play but in the next sentence the proclamation about how much better he is than his dad. Now I would believe if they had said how much different, but his dad played his role as well as any other player in the league. The point is that this was a rookie draft with much hype as most of them have. There is still a chance that a player picked in the 4th round or later will be the gem of the draft.

The positive. The team should be set on the backend for a few years. at some point one of the big three will have to be moved if Jones does indeed turn out to be the stud in the NHL that all have predicted.

What to expect now in typical Predator fashion DP will find a couple forwards that will likely be projects ala SK or the injury damaged Karyia and spend modestly. The team will struggle to score most nights and rely on Rinne and the defense yet again to carry the team.

The perfect storm that was last year hopefully will not repeat. The team will likely be a fringe team comeing down to the playoff run. The key will be the youngsters. May be three 20 goal scorers Horni, Fish and probably Borque. Wilson will come close yet again, provided he plays 82 games.

flame away im kinda getting used to it
I think you are pretty much spot on although i still have hope that with the cap and buyouts there will be better, more attainable targets in the free agent market than usual.

the difference between this team and the team that many thought could have won the West two years ago isnt all that much now that Suter has been replaced by a combination of Josi and Jones. If the improvement of our youth exceeds the decline in our older players we may be better off than anyone thinks.

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote