HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Round 1, Pick #11: Samuel Morin, Defense, Rimouski (QMJHL)

Old
07-01-2013, 09:08 AM
Psuhockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
how do you know how he'll be able to make decisions at the NHL level when he's not yet 18 and not yet had a chance to make a decision in the NHL?
You don't. There is no telling who will be the stud defensemen from this draft, or even if there are any. The speed of the minor leagues and Europe is so much slower than the NHL that it is so hard to judge who will be the great defensemen at the NHL level. Seth Jones looks like a stud now but he could very well fall apart under NHL forechecking where guys are just as big as he is. Morin has just as much chance to succeed or fail as all the other defensemen drafted in this class.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 09:09 AM
TheCerebral1
Hockey Heaven

I preferred Zadorov, but they at least took the glaring in your face need instead of trying to supplement. I actually liked Hagg more than I did Morin.

TheCerebral1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 09:10 AM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Again, Chris Pronger won't be on the ice with him. He won't be mentoring him. And it sounds like Pronger's role in the organization is more related to scouting.
Who cares. If Pronger only offers advice it's worth something. Mentoring is just that. If he sits with him watching tape or offering suggestions with a stick in an office, that qualifies.

Browsing through these threads I forgot why I quit posting here. GKJ knows absolutely everything and is right 110% of the time. He's hockey god.

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 09:13 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
You don't. There is no telling who will be the stud defensemen from this draft, or even if there are any. The speed of the minor leagues and Europe is so much slower than the NHL that it is so hard to judge who will be the great defensemen at the NHL level. Seth Jones looks like a stud now but he could very well fall apart under NHL forechecking where guys are just as big as he is. Morin has just as much chance to succeed or fail as all the other defensemen drafted in this class.
oh ok, yeah i agree. just misunderstood your post

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 09:25 AM
Krishna

vCash: 50

Looks pretty nice for being nearly 60 years old

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 09:29 AM
TheDrizzle81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post

He must be. Impressive. I mean it was posted it must be true. Has to be. Whoever posted it knows more about morin's stats than we do.

Old
07-01-2013, 09:38 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:

I noticed that last night but didn't say anything . Was too lazy to post.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 09:45 AM
Prongo
Beer

Pronger was giving Luke Schenn advice during this camp and preseason. To say he won't mentor these kids on how to play the game, what it takes to make it, and other subjects just isn't true. He will give these young players advice when they come for camps and other events. He won't be constantly be around them, but he will be mentoring them to some degree. It just won't be on the ice.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 09:49 AM
TheDrizzle81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Pronger was giving Luke Schenn advice during this camp and preseason. To say he won't mentor these kids on how to play the game, what it takes to make it, and other subjects just isn't true. He will give these young players advice when they come for camps and other events. He won't be constantly be around them, but he will be mentoring them to some degree. It just won't be on the ice.
Yeah but that's completely useless and has absolutely no bearing on these guys whatsoever. None. It's a complete waste of time on all counts. Pronger should just stay away. His advice is completely useless.

Old
07-01-2013, 09:50 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

As much as Pronger will provide feedback to guys like Morin, Hagg, etc....I really think Morin is going to blossom under Derian Hatcher's eye. If Morin can become a Hatcher type player but with better skating, the league will take notice. I also noticed that big Sam wasn't an invite to the U20 Summer Camp. Hopefully the big fella will get to the prospect camp in Philadelphia, listen to what the coaches say, and then go back to junior and get started on putting it all together. Like I said in many posts about Sam, we're probably looking at 5 to 6 years before he really makes a mark on the NHL. Hopefully the Flyers will be patient with him as there's going to be some growing pains.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 09:54 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCerebral1 View Post
I preferred Zadorov, but they at least took the glaring in your face need instead of trying to supplement. I actually liked Hagg more than I did Morin.
I think the disappointment from some stems from there seeming to be flashier players available. It sounds like Morin won't wow anyone like that, but the team needs a projectable minutes-eating big shutdown defenseman as well.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 09:55 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Very excited about Morin. Sure, the lack of offensive potential he evidently has is concerning, but with his size, he should be able to transition quite nicely into this league. Can't ever have too many guys who are willing to crush people and be a defensive force out there.

07-01-2013, 09:56 AM
bennysflyers16

Quote:

Now some will ***** that he is too old

Love seeing some posters that think they are smarter than our top QMJHL scouts, WOW.

I am happy that we were able to draft 2 1st round talent dmen.

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 09:56 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
You're right, but the people acting like he's going to take these kids under his wing are going overboard about how much influence he has. It seemed like his role is going to be more in scouting from the looks of things.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 09:57 AM
Krishna

Quote:
I think the disappointment from some stems from there seeming to be flashier players available. It sounds like Morin won't wow anyone like that, but the team needs a projectable minutes-eating big shutdown defenseman as well.
Which is what zadorov currently is even if his offense doesn't develop

Old
07-01-2013, 09:58 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Do you really think Zadorov and Morin are that far apart?

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 09:59 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
And its in question whether he can even do that. BSH estimated he was playing about 17 minutes in the Q and the stats for the U18 tournament show he was playing under 13 minutes.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 10:01 AM
King Fish

What you must like about this pick is:
1) he's big!
2) he can skate, not just for a big guy but can actually skate.
3) he's got a big shot
I can live with all this.

King Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 10:02 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
I think the Flyers, as well as scouts, really think he has the ability to generate an offensive game still. Morin himself even said he has improved his slap shot significantly and was the best on his team. This year in juniors is huge for his development. Get him on the PP and let him bomb away. If we get 35-40 points from him in juniors this year, I will be extremely happy with his progression. I wouldn't be upset though if he gets less than that. Just let him take his time to develop. Could turn out to be a great pick.

Flyers probably don't see the offensive game for Zads, that could be one reason(aybe the only) reason the bypassed him.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 10:06 AM
blinds

Jeez, a lot of different people seem to "know" what Pronger's role in the organization is. But really, none of you know exactly what he's doing or to what extent he's involved in what areas. How bout we go with the lowest common denominator that he is working with players, and he has been involved in some scouting/decision-making. It might be almost nothing, but we at least know he's there and giving his opinion.

Can we just be happy that Pronger is still with the organization and hope his role expands? I'm already happy he's working with Schenn, and by Schenn's own words Pronger helps a lot and points of nuisances that only someone like Pronger would be able too. That's invaluable.

blinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 10:09 AM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

the more i read about him the more i like it, i heard several teams were trying to draft him early and that he likely wouldn't get past 15

though i hated it at the moment and it's always repeated here... i gotta say it one more time

always trust simon nolet

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 10:09 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
Do you really think Zadorov and Morin are that far apart?
Posted about it pre-draft and I'll paraphrase

They are similar players currently and have similar ceilings, but most seem to agree Zadorov has a slightly higher ceiling

Currently, both are hopefully going to develop their offense in the coming yars, but I'm till not sure on either of them

Old
07-01-2013, 10:10 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

I trust the Flyers when drafting from the Q.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 10:11 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
the more i read about him the more i like it, i heard several teams were trying to draft him early and that he likely wouldn't get past 15

though i hated it at the moment and it's always repeated here... i gotta say it one more time

always trust simon nolet
He is no longer handling the Q

"The trio handling the CHL (Canadian Junior Leagues) are former Flyer Mark Greig (WHL), Dennis Patterson (OHL) and Todd Hearty (QMJHL)."

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=675644

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 10:13 AM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Couturier View Post
He is no longer handling the Q

"The trio handling the CHL (Canadian Junior Leagues) are former Flyer Mark Greig (WHL), Dennis Patterson (OHL) and Todd Hearty (QMJHL)."

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=675644
everyone panic

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote