HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft–Sun Jun 30–3:00PM ET–NBCSN,TSN

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2013, 09:09 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

vCash: 500
Yeah, trading Ehrhoff/Myers/Pysyk/McNabb/whoever for help at forward sure sounds terrible...

Old
07-01-2013, 09:12 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Yeah, trading Ehrhoff/Myers/Pysyk/McNabb/whoever for help at forward sure sounds terrible...
do we really need help at forward???
(Hodgson, Ennis, Foligno, Grigorenko, Armia, Larsson, Girgensons, Compher, Catenacci, Hurley, Bailey, Kea, Tropp, Baptiste)

I think the thing we need right now is time/patience...

that doesn't mean we shouldn't pursue improvement... but outside getting a top 3 draft pick next year, or an elite prospect (couturier)... we should let the development process take place.

Old
07-01-2013, 09:21 AM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
(Hodgson, Ennis, Foligno, Grigorenko, Armia, Larsson, Girgensons, Compher, Catenacci, Hurley, Bailey, Kea, Tropp, Baptiste)
Yes. Right now, you have quantity, quantity, quantity. You yourself have said in the past that every player on this list projects to be something other than a #1C. I don't see a #1LW either.

If we're done tanking for top picks, we don't trade Sekera where we did. Let him help ease the 18 year olds into the game. If the core was already drafted after 16, why keep trading roster players off the team? Because you know this draft was just the first domino.

As far as I'm concerned, Miller and Vanek are gone for whatever helps us get to the top of the draft for an elite forward, and Ehrhoff can follow suit at either of the next two trade deadlines. 2014 and 2015, we need a #1LW and and #1C.

Old
07-01-2013, 09:23 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:

I think the thing we need right now is time/patience...

that doesn't mean we shouldn't pursue improvement... but outside getting a top 3 draft pick next year, or an elite prospect (couturier)... we should let the development process take place.
That was contingent on drafting Ekblad, freeing up a trade for someone like Couturier.

Old
07-01-2013, 09:24 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
Yes. Right now, you have quantity, quantity, quantity. You yourself have said in the past that every player on this list projects to be something other than a #1C. I don't see a #1LW either.

If we're done tanking for top picks, we don't trade Sekera where we did. Let him help ease the 18 year olds into the game. If the core was already drafted after 16, why keep trading roster players off the team? Because you know this draft was just the first domino.

As far as I'm concerned, Miller and Vanek are gone for whatever helps us get to the top of the draft for an elite forward, and Ehrhoff can follow suit at either of the next two trade deadlines. 2014 and 2015, we need a #1LW and and #1C.
I don't think your response is in the same context to the post I originally replied too.

StruckBPC talked about trading our new found defensive depth for help at forward...

my response is that we are deep in young forward talent/prospects, so depleting our blueline for anything other than an elite young forward makes little sense.

essentially, we shouldn't trade Myers or Pysyk for more Grigorenkos and Armias.

make sense?

Old
07-01-2013, 09:28 AM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
I don't think your response is in the same context to the post I originally replied too.

StruckBPC talked about trading our new found defensive depth for help at forward...

my response is that we are deep in young forward talent/prospects, so depleting our blueline for anything other than an elite young forward makes little sense.

essentially, we shouldn't trade Myers or Pysyk for more Grigorenkos and Armias.

make sense?
True. Thanks for the clarification.

Old
07-01-2013, 09:52 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
GR morning show carping about the draft day. Why am I listening to this? Ack.
Quote:
what is wrong with these people...
So...should I skip the Duff and Hamilton podcasts then?

Old
07-01-2013, 10:00 AM
Jame
Dream '16

I'm curious how long it will take for people to have this reaction regarding McBain... in relation to Sulzer...

Old
07-01-2013, 10:04 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Be badder for Nylander!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
So...should I skip the Duff and Hamilton podcasts then?
No, I didn't catch either of their segments. I was suffering through some inane morning show chatter.

07-01-2013, 10:40 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Hamilton interview this morning: Devine said Nichushkin was too much of a flight risk to invest that pick in. They've been burned before, not willing to go there again.

Old
07-01-2013, 10:43 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Hamilton interview this morning: Devine said Nichushkin was too much of a flight risk to invest that pick in. They've been burned before, not willing to go there again.
Burned before? by who?

Old
07-01-2013, 10:44 AM
Sabresfansince1980

When relying so much on the draft as Buffalo has to right now, they had to be sure and Nichushkin is too much of a gamble.

Also, stocking up on D-men now might work out in the ultimate timeline. They can draft FWs later that will develop faster, or just add through UFA to put the final pieces in place. Meanwhile, I'll hope Monahan and Lindholm tank to make me feel better...lol.

Old
07-01-2013, 10:50 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Burned before? by who?
He didn't say. Maybe Fabry, Gogulla or Zagrapan? Not sure -- those were his words and those three guys all either didn't come over or stayed relatively briefly before bolting back home.

Old
07-01-2013, 10:59 AM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
He didn't say. Maybe Fabry, Gogulla or Zagrapan? Not sure -- those were his words and those three guys all either didn't come over or stayed relatively briefly before bolting back home.
He could have just as easily been thinking about some other players like Radulov that bolted back to the KHL as soon as things didn't go their way

Old
07-01-2013, 11:02 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Zagrapan was the only one that made sense (1st rounder).... but he was over here for 3 years, without getting a single sniff of the NHL... so it's not really a surprise he left...

The comment, "we got burned before".... seems a little overly dramatic (but im glad they felt that way... i didnt want anything to do with valeri nichushkin)

Old
07-01-2013, 11:09 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Sounded like they weren't thrilled with Nichushkin's attitude either. Not willing to take his lumps in the AHL to become an NHLer. Obviously, as a player, there's an advantage to playing in the KHL over the AHL ($$$), but no NHL team wants to hear a kid say "NHL or I'm going home" with how rapidly the KHL is growing.

Old
07-01-2013, 11:51 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
They're talking about Miller for Strome.

Ok, Howard did just say that he has no memory of any #1 goalie ever going to a playoff team at the deadline. At least he's mildly paying attention to that.
Roloson. Traded to Edmonton at the deadline, traded to the Lightning mid-season (think it was a bit before the deadline though).

Closed Thread